A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old Sep 30 2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Worldcon 2014 in London: Loncon3

Cheryl suggested starting a thread about this, which is an eminent idea. We are probably aiming at making this worldcon a MoM reunion Con and if it is anywhere near as much fun (and I am absolutely sure it will be far better organsed) than Eurocon 2007 in Copenhagen, where Anne was guest of honour, it will be your chance of a lifetime to meet you fellow MoMers and have oodles of fun!

We know it's early, the con is at the end of August 2014, but I would be thrilled to see this plan suicceeed and meet old and new friend in Londoin 2014!

Loncon 3 will be held at ExCeL in London's Docklands from Thursday 14th to Monday 18th August 2014. They have seven Guests of Honour representing many of the things we want to celebrate about science fiction, and continually developing plans for what will be a spectacular convention about which we will keep you informed via this web site. So read on to find out everything you need to know to come and join us in 2014, along with our guests and the thousands of other science fiction fans who will be at Loncon 3. Attendance isn't cheap (95 pounds pr $160). More info on the website www.loncon3.org and of course, keep reading this webpage!

----

As for me, I am planning to go to London no matter what and depending on our plans, attend the con. It;ll probably the only worldcon I'll ever attend in my lofe and I'm only sorry that Anne is't alive any more to meet us all there! Because she would have, I am sure of that!

Marjon, my dear wife, will be traveling wth me, won't be attending the con, but will be attending (MoM) gathers for any Anne McCaffrey fans we got to now on or offline during the last decade, as she was in Copenhagen five years ago (gosh, how time flies).

----

So post your reactions and thought in here and let's see if we can get a group together in London. again, attendance of con or not, we will have a London Gather in 2014!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30 2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Worldcon 2014 in London: Loncon3

I am really hoping to go. It will take a lot for me to arrange childcare as my previous con babysitter is no longer available, but since this is taking place before the start of the school year I have more options than I would otherwise, and a two years to try to arrange them!

I've been two to WorldCon's before, along with Pam and KC from this forum, so they may chime in with details as to what they're like as well. The two I went to were both in the US, so there may be some differences with this one being an international one, but it should be roughly similar.

WorldCons are much larger than EuroCon was but much small than DragonCon/ComicCon, having 4000-5000 people in attendance. In my experience it is a nice size con -- large enough to have a variety of programming tracks so that there's almost alway something going on of interest, and yet not so outlandishly large and jam-packed with people that those who don't like crowds (like me) quietly lose their minds.

Although some people do dress up in costumes, it is not done anywhere near as much as it is at DragonCon, with the most costumes being worn on the day of the masquerade (a costume contest that attracts amazing costumes, often made by professionals).

The con is very much centered on literary science fiction and fantasy, with only small portions devoted to tv/film/other mediums. Writers (fanfic or otherwise) will enjoy a variety of panels talking about various aspects of fiction and world-building. Others will just enjoy getting to hear their favorite authors speak.

The Hugo awards are presented in a formal banquet. I'm sure tickets to the banquet are an additional charge for those that want to go, and while I'm not sure a dress code is enforced, it is like the Oscars for writers so the professional authors in attendance are generally in black tie.

The price for attendance usually goes up as the date gets closer, but I imagine it will hold at the current level for a year at least given how far out we are. If you are sure you going to go, it is helpful to the con to buy your membership early as they can use funds in advance for reserving the location, A/V equipment, etc.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30 2012, 02:14 PM   #3
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I'm not sure where I'll be in 2014 but if I'm close enough I'll try and be there!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1 2012, 11:29 AM   #4
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

I'd like to say I'd be there for at least the MoM stuff...but my trip to the UK is in May of that year.....
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3 2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

I will be there at some point. Jeremy's teaching term has started already... so he might be there for just the weekend. As for me, that depends on childcare!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10 2012, 11:39 AM   #6
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Perhaps we could organise some of our English members to run a MOM chreche?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10 2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

HOLY COW...

This whole idea is almost more than my tiny little mind can handle

All the wonderful memories of our last incredibly unbelievable *MoM* gather, have been flooding into my mind...what an amazing trip... I couldn’t even imagine something that wonderful happening, but it sure did...and with ANNE and all the MoMers that were there too...WOWOWOWOWOW

Martin and I will be looking into all that what we need to do, to make it to this London *MoM Gather* too...keeping our fingers crossed. At lest this time the whole passport thing has been settled...WHEW!!

LORD...I am so excited, I think I could fly to London, without a plane...

Sorry I've been gone for a while...BUT...I'M BACK NOW

P.S. Lord what you can miss while your so wonderfully busy with your family...THEIR BACK HOME...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10 2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

HEILIGE KOE!

Now THAT would be fantastic. Two friends in the back of my car when driving back from London to Rotterdam....! (we would probably make a loop and go from London to Paris to Rotterdam...)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Oct 10 2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

H A N S...you're killing me...PARIS
You know how badly I've wanted to come and visit a very special garden in Rotterdam, that has a beautiful pond and a fish thats named after meeeeeeee swimming around in it...
Well at least we have close to a year and a half, to find a way to make this trip really happen...it happened before when it looked almost impossible at times...perhaps the magic will work once again...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Oct 10 2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Ooh, passports. Mine will probably have expired by then.

*goes to check*

Well now, expired this past March! I guess I should do something about that, sooner rather than later!

Hey Maelin, maybe after Europe you and Martin should swing by Baltimore and finally catch an Orioles game!
Old Oct 11 2012, 08:49 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Maelin, you do realise I am completely serius, don't you?

It would be SO EASY to do. Marjon and I will come by car, using the ferry from Calais or Zeebrugge to Dover (takes 2 hours by ship and is cheap). From there to Paris is only a 3 hour drive via Amiens (the cathedral there would be of interest to you) and hotels in Paris are plentiful! From Paris to home is only 5 hours and very doable in one day even with a stop in Bussels and/or Antwerp.

As you said, it's still a long way away and there's ample time to organise, save and plan!

Old Oct 11 2012, 04:57 PM   #12
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

You'd have to take Maelin to Gent if you stopped off in Belgium. If I recall there's a painting there that she might like (I think it's the Reubens but I can't remember exactly)
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2012, 10:40 PM   #13
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, my very dear friend….YES I do realize that you are being very serious. All of what you have suggested sounds too wonderful for words…beyond my wildest dreams, and something both Martin and I will seriously be considering.

London, Brussels…and Rotterdam and perhaps instead of Paris [I don’t believe I just wrote that] we could take a jog to Amsterdam and the Rijksmuseum…Lord I think my head is on the verge of exploding just thinking about all the possibilities of taking this kind of trip, but it also has my brain working overtime on how to try and make this all come together and happen…or at least some part of it.

Now the real craziness will start...flights, hotels and all the changes before the final plan is reached…and then if it’s anything like last time, changes even after we get there. With us you just never know what’s exactly going to happen till it does…well… other than it’s going to be an incredibly amazing journey.

Old Oct 11 2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl...we're going to so thankful that our pastports are all ready to go this time...especially after all we went through for our last MoMer trip to Europe. We will be so eager to see you again...not to mention any and all of the other MoMers that might be able to make it there too.

Old Oct 11 2012, 10:53 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Edith...thanks for the idea...we'll probably just have to wait and see what happens at this point in our plans. Not sure how much time were going to have to see all that we are going to want to see, but first we are going to want to see and spend time with our very dear friends.

Old Oct 12 2012, 05:36 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Maelin adn Martin, those two simple words "seriously considering" make me excited and makes my heart beat a little faster, even if the event is still far in the future.

Maelin, Maelin, no matter what, a trip to the recently reopened Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam and the Rembrandt house will occupy one day of your trip no matter what.

Note to self: buy soft fabric scarf, so to be able to bind Maelin's hands to her back when necessary...

Old Oct 12 2012, 08:23 AM   #17
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: cursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Maelin adn Martin, those two simple words "seriously considering" make me excited and makes my heart beat a little faster, even if the event is still far in the future.

Maelin, Maelin, no matter what, a trip to the recently reopened Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam and the Rembrandt house will occupy one day of your trip no matter what.

Note to self: buy soft fabric scarf, so to be able to bind Maelin's hands to her back when necessary...
Ha Ha ! You sound like my sister and me, when our daughters where 4 of 5 years old. When we went to the stores we always used to say "hands on your back, only looking - no touching and everyting is a NO.
(it didn't help very much )
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2012, 10:18 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Awwwwe Hans...one little touch...so quick I probably didn't even leave a fingerprint...and the guard didn't even notice...much.

Lord that guard was the biggest one I've ever seen...LOL

Martin, on the other hand seems to agrees with you...he called it a mugging, not just a little touch and will be glad once again that there is more than just him to watch over me, when I get too near precious art works, so that I don't spend any of our wonderful much antisapated trip to Europe, in the local jail !!!

You two just worry to much...I was just appreciating all the very fine artwork at that lovely little castle.

Martin reminds me that yes I was appreciating it...by the braile method...

Old Oct 14 2012, 08:09 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

One little touch? I distinctly remember you trying to steal a whole bronze canon!

Old Oct 14 2012, 04:14 PM   #20
Lily

you sound a right handful Maelin!!!

But of course, art works have to be appreciated with all your senses don't they? Did you have a sniff too??

Oh, and a lick and a kiss?

Old Oct 14 2012, 10:55 PM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Well Lily...I guess maybe just a little, but only at very stressful times...perhaps I do get a bit overly excited...but I always try to be so very pleasantly about it..

My exact sentiments...I am an artist, and yes I do need all my senses...DON"T I.

I will admit I haven't ever thought of having a taste any of the artworks...YET!!!

Old Oct 14 2012, 11:08 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans... Gee it was my first bronze cannon, and so beautiful too...just wish it would have been just a bit smaller

I do still have my BRICK though...soooo theres only... ONE... small... piece... missing... when they went to put that street back together...
they'll never miss it and I truly cherrish having a small part of old Europe in my library as a *MoM* momento... snug with my Anne collection.

Old Oct 15 2012, 04:01 AM   #23
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Did you have a sniff too??

Oh, and a lick and a kiss?
Oh NOW you're done it!

Actually Lily, Lady Maeling is TWO handsful. Two, beautiful, nice and lovable handsful of a beautiful artist! And I hope she will never change or curb her enthusiasm!

Old Oct 15 2012, 09:48 PM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans...you're such a SWEETHEART...two handsfull am I ??

W E L L... I do seem to get a major thrill / kick: out of life...and OK, I do get
a tinsy bit excited on... o c c a s i o n ...

Old Oct 18 2012, 09:00 PM   #25
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Hmmmmm... Two years away.... I will probably be traveling to Italy next year to visit a friend and her husband. I'll have to try and work this out!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19 2012, 12:27 AM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Kater...that would be so wonderful if you could manage to make it to London.

Italy...WOWOWOW...if only...someday!?!

But first for us, all coins go in the *Pink Piggy* for LONDON !?!

Old Oct 25 2012, 02:08 AM   #27
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Lady M, my friend's husband is in the Air Force and is currently stationed in Italy and the last they were told they will be there until 2014. But seeing as I missed going this year for my 20th wedding anniversary I promised her I would go next year!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2012, 12:11 AM   #28
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Kater...what a lovely way to celebrate your *20th* wedding anniversary, enjoy it for us too. When you get there...eat lots of marvelous foods, LORD I don't dare think of all that incredible F O O D!!!

That's what we're thinking of with this trip to *London* in two years...a celebration of our *40th* wedding anniversary, which is in August as well. No better way [IMO] to enjoy it, than with a few of our close friends from *MoM*.

Old Oct 26 2012, 06:01 AM   #29
Hans
Master Archivist

OK then, I will celebrate my 35th wedding anniversary in 2014

Old Oct 26 2012, 11:46 PM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I think we're just going to have to have a joint anniversary party when we get there, but then again the whole trip is going to be a party for us.

The list of places we are wanting to go and see, is growing by the day.
We have all of our British and European travel books out...and our screen savers are a constantly changing slide show of places we are wanting to see.

Hans...Martin is already teasing me about how soon it will be before I get our luggage out to start packing for the trip...any day now according to him...

Old Oct 27 2012, 05:37 AM   #31
Hans
Master Archivist

He knows you best, my dear Maelin! But... making lists, be it of things to pack or places to visit is also a form of packing, isn't it?

Are we already settled on a drive through the wonderful English countryside from London to Dover, ship from Dover to Calais, drive from Calais to Paris?

Old Oct 28 2012, 12:22 AM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh Lord Hans...the hair on the back of my neck is standing straight up...just with the thoughts of your last sentence...ENGLISH Countryside, London to Dover.....and CALAIS to P A R I S

I hope you know of a nice little hotel in or near Paris...looks like we're all going to need it. I don't want to have to make the rest of the trip to The Netherlands, in the dark or worst yet...
asleep in the back seat of your car.

Old Oct 29 2012, 03:01 PM   #33
kc

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various

Wow - what a gathering to look forward to

As you know I'm definitely going to be there - booked and paid for membership already, just need to know hotel details.

Also while Hans and Lady Maelin are celebrating anniversaries I shall put my head over the parapet to mention that the Con actually starts on my birthday

I can't wait to meet up with you all again.

Kath
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29 2012, 10:44 PM   #34
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

kc...one more wonderful thing to celebrate, not to mention the lovely fact that were going to be meeting up again...HURRRAY...I'm not sure it would be quite *MoM Official* without you there!!!

Is this going to be one of your shortest travels to a con...???

Old Oct 30 2012, 05:54 PM   #35
Cheryl
Master Archivist

It'll be my 20th anniversary earlier in the month, and Kendall may manage to come with me on the trip (and mostly do his own stuff, he's been doing work trips to the UK for the past few years).
Old Oct 30 2012, 09:55 PM   #36
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

It would be wonderful to finally meet your other half...hopefully he would have a little time to have dinner or a bit of sightseeing with us???

Old Nov 4 2012, 10:38 PM   #37
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

The boys and I may actually be able to make it. Would someone give me an idea of the cost of a trip to England plus passports? We have around two to three weeks off in August before school starts. Summer school ends on the 3rd or 4th week of July. I will need to plan how I'll save the money but if I could being able to make the trip and see my beautiful friends would be the best "reward" for everything that has occurred since the WorldCon in LA back in 2006.
Old Nov 25 2012, 05:25 AM   #38
Hans
Master Archivist

I just discovered that 2014 is also the year MoM will celebrate its 10th anniversary!

Old Nov 25 2012, 10:28 PM   #39
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Ten W O N D E R F U L years for you, Cheryl, Anneli and a few
others...me only seven years...but for me they have been
without a doubt, some of the most amazing and unforgetable
of my life...Thank You MoMers

Maybe this should be called * MoMcon*instead of Loncon, I know
we'll all have a lot more fun than the regular con visitors...but
then again we always have, no matter where we've all had the
occasion to meet up....London 2014 Lets P A R T Y

Old Nov 25 2012, 10:44 PM   #40
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I just discovered that 2014 is also the year MoM will celebrate its 10th anniversary!
It doesn't feel like 10 years. Crystal and I were looking over the pictures from the first So Cal Gather (which occured over 10 years ago) and there were my two teenage boys as toddlers. How time flies.

I have not told my boys yet because it will take planning on my part to bring it together. I'll wait til its closer.

It'll be so awesome.