A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall > Thematic Photography

Thematic Photography For the posting of photos that fit with a chosen weekly theme.

Old Nov 28 2011, 11:30 AM   #1
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl
Default #73 - 28 November 2011 - Photos of Anne or ones that make you think of her

Okay, so the topic is a bit broad. But, I wanted a place to share favorite photos you've taken of Anne, or if not of her, ones that make you think of her. These could include places that make you think of her worlds as well.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl
Default Re: #73 - 28 November 2011 - Photos of Anne or ones that make you think of her

Anne when she met Chris Judge at Dragon*Con

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons
Default Re: #73 - 28 November 2011 - Photos of Anne or ones that make you think of her

Anne and I with the infamous mapat Dragon Con.Of which currently had an overhaul. I was hesitant to do so,but when doing updates to bring it current I found many mistakes,And I'll always have this and other pics of that version.

Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

One showing Anne's great sense of humor. Several members had formed a little group we called the hellkats of WAM. We didn't have a spare pair of ears and horns and when she busted us in the front row giggling and asked what was with the horns and ears we told her was the Dragonkat of the group. Our Cilla gave up her ears and Anne popped them on and wore them through the whole opening ceremony of the Weyrfest panel

Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2011, 08:40 PM   #5
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Nice Images
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2011, 08:57 PM   #6
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Thank you, Kat. Just, thank you!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

A selection of my photos of Anne:

Cheryl, Anneli, and Hans toasting with Anne in Dragonhold, on our epic 2002 visit to meet her.

Anne with the Pernese planisphere (skymap) Steven Beard made her

Anne in her office

Anneli with Anne and one the horses in her stables

Anne with Echo, drying his muddy feet

Anne and son Alec

Me with Anne and American fantasy author Katherine Kurtz, who used to live near to her in Ireland

Anne at Eurocon, showing of the biography of her by Robin Roberts

Hans with Anne at Eurocon, getting ready to present 40 Years of Pern to her

Anne with KC when our Eurocon MoM group took her to dinner

Me presenting an older biography of Anne for signing, at the LA WorldCon

Anne with Janis Ian at the LA WorldCon
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Brenda

Oh, the Tootsie Rolls!!! I don't have any pictures from my visit, but I remember asking what sort of things she liked and Cheryl said, among other things, Tootsie Rolls and Fig Newtons! We lugged those all over Ireland (our visit with Anne was toward the end of the trip) and both Anne's and Gigi's eyes lit up when we pulled them out! They were going through the Tootsie Rolls the whole time we were there.

Mom made the mistake of mentioning that Gigi had said we could only stay about an hour so we wouldn't tire her out, and Anne got this look... She pulled out a gym whistle and gave a blast, then when Gigi came in she told her to show us around the house. (This was when Anne was recovering from knee surgery, I think - Jan. 2010 - so she couldn't get around too well.)

And then I got up the nerve to ask if I could sing her my version of the Question Song, which really was amazing. Both Mom and Gigi said it was almost spooky seeing the connection taking place. I also sang her my version of the Fire Lizard Song.

I'm so glad I was able to get that trip in while there was still a chance to meet her!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Wow, Brenda, you never told that before. Sounds like a great visit (and exactly the Anne we came to know and love ) and I am SO happy for you, and proud (if I may say so) that you got to sing those songs for her! I think that is just wonderful!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2011, 11:49 PM   #10
Brenda

I had a thread in the lounge at the NKT...

It's here if you want to read more about my trip!
Old Dec 2 2011, 03:50 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Maybe you misunderstood or I wasn't clear. I read about your trip, you must have told us about in here too? If you also told about you singing for Anne, then it is my memory is toweringly faulty... because it was that I was reacting to.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 2 2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Brenda

I checked, and it is in that thread... I think maybe I didn't have a thread in here.
Old Jan 1 2012, 11:42 AM   #13
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Here is my favourite picture of Anne (with me). It was taken in 2003 when she visited the Royal Observatory Edinburgh with astronaut Pam Melroy.

And here is the more formal picture from that same event.

Thanks to Anne, I have a map that was flown on the space shuttle.
Old Jan 1 2012, 02:23 PM   #14
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

StevenB Thank for sharing, I like looking at the images, 'smile'
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19 2012, 03:49 PM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

OK, some of my photos, most of which haven't been online before.

The first time I stayed at Dragonhold, ow ten years ago in 2002, was together with Cheyl and Anneli. Anne took us out to dinner in Greystones, sounds familiar, doesn't it Her erstwhile cook and her boyfriend were also invited because Anne thought it a good idea to treat her cook, who always made her dinner, to a dinner Alec, at that time the webmaster also joined us. The cook's boyfriend (Daraigh) took the picture.
Left: Cheryl, me and Anne and right the cook (who'se name I forgot), Alec and Anneli.

Old Sep 19 2012, 03:53 PM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

During that first, 2002 visit, Anne took us on a hair raising car ride (everybody who has ever been ina car together with Anne with her behind the wheel knows what I am talking about) in the surrounding area. Here's a shot taken in the car. Anneli was in the front seat, discussinf opera with Anne and I didn't envy her the spot in front, I was the lucky guy in the backseat

Among many places Anne took us to and showed us Powerscourt. Only a few years later, during another viti, I was able to revisit and stroll through the extensive gardens. When Anne took us there the weather was unkind but we had a great lunch there. This was before Anne's hip surgery and she had a very distinctive gait. Left to right: Cheryl, Anne, Anneli.

Old Sep 19 2012, 03:55 PM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

Here's part of Anne's own library. I guess these were mostly book given to her by publishers. She had a great library with, of course, much SF.

Old Sep 19 2012, 03:57 PM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

What I, as an archivist enjoyed most was the license to roam the attic for any material I thought worthy of photographing or registering. All the times I've stayed at Drgaonhold my room was in the attic, next to her stash of her own books

Though a few years later thre had been some leather additions to the bookroom in the attic

Old Sep 29 2012, 04:58 PM   #19
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

These are fantastic and for me hold so many memories! Thanks for posting them!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote