A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall > Thematic Photography

Thematic Photography For the posting of photos that fit with a chosen weekly theme.

Old Mar 21 2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl
Default 62 : 21 March 2011 - Modern Architecture

Open for posting

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2011, 02:20 PM   #2
blondmom989
Linyaari

Default Re: 62 : 21 March 2011 - Modern Architecture

Beijing, China is a rapidly modernizing city. You can see many examples of modern architecture in this photo.

Beijing by blondmom989, on Flickr

The Girl Scout Council building in Nashville, TN. I personally can't decide whether I like it or not.

GSCouncilNashville by blondmom989, on Flickr
blondmom989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Aren't China's cities growing faster than hel?!

I agree with you on the Girl Scout Building. I don't like the finish. White is ok as a colour, just don't like the texture. And the 'tower' looks like an old grain silo! I do like the part left of the tower and the curve of the colonnade and the pper part. So I guess I'm another undecided one

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Here's the Rotterdam College of Shipping and Transport. I recently had a conference on the 13th floor, the protruding part of the building is actually an auditorium (the side you can't see is a glass wall!) and the view of Rotterdam's harbours and river from the lounge on that floor is FABULOUS!

And another shot from my 'hometown' of Rotterdam: the Suthern Head on the Maas river with 'the Swan' or officially the Erasmusbridge on the left. On the right the KPN building (Dutch teleom company), the red building in the background is the new Court of Justice with a theater (Luxor) in front of it. The other three new highrises (no buildings here older than 5 years or so) are apartment buildings.

On the extreme right is the 'Wilhelmina pier', the place where the emigrant ships left for the US in the 19th and 20th centuries, now with more modern architecture but thy preserved the old emigrants hotel (Hotel New York). I'm sorry, I feel I have to show you that, too...

So, a bit off topic, but here's the old and stately Hotel New York, where so many Russians, Poles, germans, Czechs, Dutch, Hungarians, Ukrainians etc. etc. left for the new world, flanked by the World Port Centre (home of the port authority) on the left and the Montevideo office and apartment building (just finished) on the right and yet another (unneede apartmetn highrise going up in the background). The terrace in front belogs to the hotel which actually is still a hotel (again, after years of dereliction of the whole area). Even if you don't speak, read or wrote Dutch you'll probably notice that the big name on the hotel is that of the 'Holland America Line'

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Mar 21 2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Blonde Mom...I don't really care for the Girl Scout building much...it would have more character IMO, if it was in a more natural brick color, red, tan or any other color of brick. The shape is OK, but it just looks so bland with all that white paint.

Hans... Very nice photos as usual....but I also don't care much for your Shipping and Transport building...the shape just looks to odd to be pleasing...but I do like the color, and being able to have a splended view of the harbor would be nice for those working in or visiting in it.
As for the Holland Line Hotel...I LOVE IT...that is a charming building...but what is that modern entrance to it, that does spoil the front quite a bit...but the lovely out of doors eating area is wonderful...I'd love to have a bite of lunch there...is the food good???

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2011, 04:32 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Maelin, your taste probably doesn't go towards modern architecture which I fully understand, mine doesn't either.

The structure in front of the Hotel New York is a glass box with roof from which the customers on the terrace are se4rviced. Because of the lens it seems to be close to the hotel but it is a goodly number of meters away from it.

Old Mar 22 2011, 10:22 AM   #7
blondmom989
Linyaari

I'm going to disagree with Lady Maelin. I think the "Rotterdam College of Shipping and Transport" (Do we really need a college for shipping and transport?) is one of the most fantastic buildings I've seen in a long time. Maybe it's not particularly aesthetically pleasing but it has such an interesting shape. I love the trapezoidal arches at the bottom and the overhang is too awesome. Whoever would have thought to do such a thing and then be able to make it structurally work. The whole thing looks to me like the number 1.
On the other hand, the old Holland America Building does nothing for me, although I do like the clock towers. The awnings are distracting and the "castle" look is ruined by the three triangular parts at the top and the bold use of their name sprawled across the top.
I love the "Swan" bridge. It's another total "flight of fancy"
It's great to have everyone articulate reasons for liking and disliking the Girl Scout building. My mind hadn't gotten far enough to decide what it was that disturbed me about it.
blondmom989 is offline   Reply With Quote