A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old May 8 2017, 09:14 AM   #4121
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3
Default Re: What is happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
They are blocks of tropical wood. If they are all hardwood I don't know. I'm not that good at recognizing wood varieties
Let's just hope they're from sustainable sources... Beautiful table in any case.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2017, 09:15 AM   #4122
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Wish my new flat had those lovely bookcases, Hans. I was warned not to bring any heavy furniture to Wellington and my big bookcase stayed in the house when it was sold - it was bolted to the wall. Anything big here has to come up the fire escape.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2017, 09:39 AM   #4123
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
That's some great stuff, Allen.

Question: do you buy those slices of tree trunk or make and grind those yourself?
They're basswood slabs I buy at craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby, I won't sacrifice any of my oak or pine trees to that sort of project, Too much waste, and I have no place to properly dry such things.

But I do some crafts out of red cedar. We discovered the wonderful varieties of "air plants" (tillandsia), and I form displays out of the red center of cedar trees for them. Air plants are a tropical rain forest plant that does not grow in soil. They actually grow in trees and such. Spanish moss here in the states is an example of an air plant, although I'm not sure it's in the tillandsia family.

Since I don't try to sell them online (only at craft shows) I've not photographed any of the "art forms". I'll have to remedy that to show you.
Old May 8 2017, 11:56 AM   #4124
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
Let's just hope they're from sustainable sources... Beautiful table in any case.
It's described as leftover wood. Stuff that would have been thrown away if someone didn't do a project with it. And I just love things that get a second life or second chance We throw far too much away as it is.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2017, 11:58 AM   #4125
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyon View Post
Wish my new flat had those lovely bookcases, Hans. I was warned not to bring any heavy furniture to Wellington and my big bookcase stayed in the house when it was sold - it was bolted to the wall. Anything big here has to come up the fire escape.
Vyon, those are actually simple Ikea Billy's! Affordable and in my case it looks custom made because the dining room is axactly 4 metres long and 5 Billy are exactly... 4 metres long.
So they came in flat packs!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 8 2017, 11:59 AM   #4126
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
They're basswood slabs I buy at craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby, I won't sacrifice any of my oak or pine trees to that sort of project, Too much waste, and I have no place to properly dry such things.

But I do some crafts out of red cedar. We discovered the wonderful varieties of "air plants" (tillandsia), and I form displays out of the red center of cedar trees for them. Air plants are a tropical rain forest plant that does not grow in soil. They actually grow in trees and such. Spanish moss here in the states is an example of an air plant, although I'm not sure it's in the tillandsia family.

Since I don't try to sell them online (only at craft shows) I've not photographed any of the "art forms". I'll have to remedy that to show you.
Ah, you can buy them! Haven't seen those here in craft shops. Wiood yes, slices of tree, nope

Old May 8 2017, 10:57 PM   #4127
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
It's described as leftover wood. Stuff that would have been thrown away if someone didn't do a project with it. And I just love things that get a second life or second chance We throw far too much away as it is.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Unlike most tables, that one actually has a story behind it. I bet you'll be telling it to most of your dinner guests, the first time they see it.
Old May 9 2017, 10:31 AM   #4128
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Unlike most tables, that one actually has a story behind it. I bet you'll be telling it to most of your dinner guests, the first time they see it.
I might. Hmm, I should serve more leftovers on the leftover table

Old May 9 2017, 12:25 PM   #4129
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
I might. Hmm, I should serve more leftovers on the leftover table
Yum! Good idea.
Old May 9 2017, 08:58 PM   #4130
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

Quote:
I prefer re-claimed wood. People like kitchen floors made from reclaimed wood from old barns. It's well seasoned and it's beautiful with all the age, patina, and distress they have!
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2017, 12:03 AM   #4131
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherlyn View Post
I prefer re-claimed wood. People like kitchen floors made from reclaimed wood from old barns. It's well seasoned and it's beautiful with all the age, patina, and distress they have!
Everybody refers to the old wooden siding as "barn wood" around here. They LOVE the old weathered grey surface, calling it "patina".

First, I object to the use of that term. Here is the definition of patina that comes up on Google:
pa·ti·na
/pəˈtēnə/
noun
noun: patina; plural noun: patinas
a green or brown film on the surface of bronze or similar metals, produced by oxidation over a long period.
•a gloss or sheen on wooden furniture produced by age and polishing.
•an impression or appearance of something.
"he carries the patina of old money and good breeding"

Notice that nowhere does it refer to the grey, nasty-looking weathered surface of barn wood.

Second, and vastly more importantly, this wood is generally very old, and was rough-cut from old trees, trees that had real character in the grain instead of the straight grain that we get in our modern lumber. Most of it is oak. If it were pine, it would have long since rotted away. I am now speaking from personal knowledge and experience.

I have the remains of an old house here on my property. The first deed on the property is 1859. I think the oldest part of the house was originally built as a one room cabin around that time. It was built from white oak. I always tell people that white oak has about the same strength as mild steel, but is not weldable. I remember seeing my mom bend 10-penny nails, trying to drive them into the kitchen walls, the original part of the cabin, in 1959 when we first bought the place. Hundred year old wood, and almost impossible to drive a nail into.

The front addition to the house was built out of red oak, which is only slightly "softer" than white oak.

I don't know if anyone would remember when I first made this plaque, using a scroll saw.

I used a piece of white oak plank from the cabin, milled it down, and cut the pattern. Finished size was about 6 inches wide by maybe 10 inches tall and almost an inch thick. There are only 15 cuts in that pattern. It took me about 3 hours to cut them, as well as several broken scroll saw blades, because that wood, over a hundred years old, was and is still almost hard as iron to cut, especially when it's almost an inch thick and the blade is finer than a mechanical pencil's lead.

But that wood has real character, hidden away under a layer of nasty grey weathering.

I used red oak boards, ran them through a planer, sanded and finished them and made shelves for our bathroom window. Here's the first one.

Most of the dark marks are old nail holes. In the second photo, you can see a bug hole, which is not all that common, because oak is so hard bugs usually don't waste time trying to burrow into it.

I started with the other end of this plank for the second shelf.

This shows just how weathered the wood was, even though it was under shingles for decades. Here's the finished shelf.

So maybe most people like that nasty barn wood look. I much prefer what it hides; the beautiful color and grain as well as the character that knots, insect damage, and nail holes provide.
Old May 10 2017, 02:13 AM   #4132
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

The trick for nailing old hardwoods is to power-drill a hole through very slightly smaller than the nail.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2017, 07:20 AM   #4133
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherlyn View Post
Yes, very popular at the moment here in The Netherlands too, especially for (side) tales but the most for garden furniture.

Old May 10 2017, 07:24 AM   #4134
Hans
Master Archivist

Shelves look great, Allen.

And as for weathered wood, it just depends what you use it for I guess and what you like personally. What you see also now here is old, painted wood planks used in modern objects, so you get different colours.
Some used wood things are getting to be so popular now that they have to make fake old used wood to meet the demands.

The name depends on where you live. We hardly have wooden barns. In Dutch the used wood is called "steigerhout" which translated to "scaffolding wood". Cultural differences

Old May 10 2017, 07:51 AM   #4135
vyon

Here, barnwood would be "weathered" and people make garden furniture out of old fence battens complete with lichen. What I would consider to be wood with a "patina" might be something like an old stair-rail that was once stained and varnished but has been polished back to the original wood by hundreds of hands using it.

Allen's beautiful shelves would be called "reclaimed" wood. One of my brothers made a beautiful chopping board for my mum out of reclaimed port pilings, which turned out to be a deep red colour under the weathering. It was also too heavy to lift out of the cupboard where it was stored.

My pet hate is fake "distressed" wood, which is very fashionable at the moment. The trick is to get some weevily old match lining or an ancient and decrepit bit of furniture, paint it in alternate layers of dull blue and green and muddy cream then roughly sand it around the edges and sell it at an exorbitant price as an "antique." The result is just plain ugly.
Old May 10 2017, 10:19 AM   #4136
Allen

Thanks Hans. Scaffolding wood....... okay, makes sense.

P'ter, my mother worked in a hardware store, and if she didn't know about drilling a pilot hole, she soon found out. I certainly did drill the shelves and picture frames I've made from my reclaimed oak planks (I call it that, too, vyon) because even with modern tools like my power screw driver, you'll mess things up trying to put them together without drilling first.

But the old cabin, back then, was just for weekends, vacations, hunt5ing trips, and so on, so we didn't want to be carting a drill & bits back and forth just so we could hang a pot holder or something on the kitchen wall. The bent nail usually made enough of a pilot hole for the next one to go in, and if it didn't, number 2 or 3 would! LOL!

Vyon, you're exactly right about a patina on wood.

The "distressed" wood...... OMG, what a mess. Not only do they mess it up with paint, but beat it with chain, hammers, whatever, first! Trashy looking. The originals look like that because they're OLD, really old and the owners hung on to them for generations for various reasons. My wife and I have some pieces that belonged to our grandparents. We refinished a hand-made marble top dresser, made from cherry I believe, by her grandfather. I'll be damned if I'll "distress" my grandmother's first china cabinet. or my grandfather's drum-top table.

One thing I wonder about, using those old pilings. So much of the wood used for fence posts and pilings and so on was treated with creosote to help it stand up to being buried in the ground or submersed in water. Creosote is poisonous, and carcinogenic; very nasty stuff. Definitely not safe for preparing food on. Luckily, the smell of creosote makes it easy to detect. The deep red coloring and weight makes me suspect the pilings might have been cypress.
Old May 11 2017, 06:54 AM   #4137
vyon

The wood was almost certainly West Australian Jarrah

http://timspec.co.nz/Jarrah/6771-ca0.../#Popup-Closer

From another recycled timber site:
Jarrah's natural properties include a high resistance to weather, rot, termites and even marine borers, making it valuable for a range of outdoors uses. Its density also makes it fire resistant. It can be used in wharf and bridge construction, railway sleepers, cross arms, poles and piles. Construction applications include general house framing, flooring, linings, joinery and fencing. Jarrah's decorative qualities make it prized for use in furniture, turnery, joinery and parquetry.

Most of our native timbers are softwoods, so heavy construction timber like piles, railway sleepers and power poles used to be imported from Australia.

I doubt it was treated in any way. If it's resistant to goose-neck barnacles fifty years or so immersion in the harbour would have treated it.
Old May 11 2017, 07:16 AM   #4138
vyon

- and if you ran out of nails you'd just hammer them straight and try again like my grandmother did when we were at her batch (nowadays you'd call in a tiny house) at the Mount Maunganui beach. That place now has at least five houses and a block of flats on it and the smallest of the houses is on the market for almost $700,000. (I've been looking at Google Earth)
Old May 11 2017, 08:21 AM   #4139
Hans
Master Archivist

On a totally different tack...
Jarrah?
Think you, Anne, got the inspiration there for the beer brand in the Crystal Singer series
Yarrah, if I remember correctly.

Old May 11 2017, 12:55 PM   #4140
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
On a totally different tack...
Jarrah?
Think you, Anne, got the inspiration there for the beer brand in the Crystal Singer series
Yarrah, if I remember correctly.
Nearly. It was Yarran and came from the planet Yarro or Yarra, depending on the book.
Old May 11 2017, 03:23 PM   #4141
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Spent the day going to the funeral of Hannah Bladon who was stabbed to death in a random knife attack on a bus in Jerusalem on Good Friday. The service took rather longer than usual as the organist collapsed and an ambulance had to be called to remove him (!)

She died because she was in the wrong place having stood up to give her seat to a pregnant lady.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old May 11 2017, 11:08 PM   #4142
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

That's just so sad, p'ter. What's your connection to Ms. Bladon, if I may ask?
Old May 12 2017, 02:24 AM   #4143
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Shared a couple of modules with her last year. I always sit right at the front (saves on hearing-aid batteries ) she used to sit just behind me. We would swap source material we'd found. She was very shy, but if she'd been my granddaughter, I'd be very proud of her.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 12 2017, 10:50 PM   #4144
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

My condolences for your loss, p'ter.
Old May 13 2017, 03:21 PM   #4145
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

We're discussing planting a memorial tree for her.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 13 2017, 11:50 PM   #4146
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

P'ter, that sounds like a great idea. Do you need planning permission from the council, or would this be in Uni grounds?
Old May 14 2017, 03:12 AM   #4147
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

This would be in our grounds, somewhere near the Chaplaincy.

But, if we planted a tree for every student who died while at Uni, we'd have a massive forest. With around 30,000 students we'd be planting about 4 trees a year. The usual causes of death are suicide or car-crash, which is what makes Hannah's murder rare.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 14 2017, 01:20 PM   #4148
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Do you have a memorial spot for all students or staff who have died while either studying or working there? Is there a memorial wall in the chapel?

I certainly hope that there will be no more need for planting memorial trees for murder victims.
Old May 14 2017, 04:29 PM   #4149
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

No we don't have a set area. We have a few trees and benches, dotted around our spacious acres, dedicated to various alumni/lecturers who died of old age.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 14 2017, 10:09 PM   #4150
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I suppose those people have done something especially memorable in their careers to deserve such a memorial?

I can sort of understand, even if I don't sympathize with, the viewpoint that suicides don't deserve a memorial. After all, it's not all that long ago that suicides were denied a grave in consecrated ground, never mind the burial rites of the church. Or for that matter, the time when failed suicides were condemned to death for interfering with God's sole right to decide over life and death! That's one of the more absurd laws that I've ever read about, especially since many people get a new zest for life following a suicide attempt.
Old May 15 2017, 07:46 AM   #4151
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Most of the memorial benches and things just say "Joe Doe, student 1923 - 26."

Oops! The new N.K.T. site is down already. Perhaps they've caught the current doom-bug.

C. S. Lewis

Last edited by P'ter; May 15 2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old May 15 2017, 04:51 PM   #4152
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Wow! 6 of us on line at once! Long time since I've seen that.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 15 2017, 05:59 PM   #4153
Simon
Journeyman

Fan of: Tower and Hive
Now Reading: Between books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
SNIP

Oops! The new N.K.T. site is down already. Perhaps they've caught the current doom-bug.
I don't think so...

Our hosts status page...

Quote:
Some sites on the Cluster Platform have been reporting a 502 error when accessing the domain.

Our engineers are looking at resolving this issue now.
Most recent update on Monday 15th May 2017 at 22:48:
We are currently experiencing problems with a subset of sites on our Clustered Hosting Platform. I can confirm that Senior Engineers, Architects and Management are onsite working to resolve the issue. There are three stages we need to complete to bring the service back online, the first - to stabilise the platform has been completed. The second, to synchronise the data across the nodes (the longest due to the volume of data) is in progress. Following this we will verify the condition of the platform and re-enable customer sites. Current recovery time is estimated at ~1 hour.
Edited to add... and the site is back. Apologies for that.

Last edited by Simon; May 15 2017 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Update
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2017, 09:46 PM   #4154
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Wetting up a Robot Repair Shop in an AI world is an expensive business

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3482

But there's always a need for a good hammer

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2017, 02:15 AM   #4155
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

So long as said hammer is the right size!

By the way; what has happened to our post counts? I've just spotted that they've disappeared.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 16 2017, 10:34 AM   #4156
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Have they ever even been posted here? There are ranks, but... I can't say I ever noticed, to be honest...
Old May 16 2017, 02:17 PM   #4157
Hans
Master Archivist

I don't think they were visible here, Peter.

But if you are curious click Community en Members list at the top, then you can sort on post count.

Old May 16 2017, 03:29 PM   #4158
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Oh . . . . . yeah. That's where they've always been on THIS forum.

Weird couple of days. Birmingham total chaos due to discovery of wartime German bomb on a building site where the Aston Expressway meets the M6. Traffic diverted both days and one train route closed.

Today the new Uni Library was on lockdown for a bomb alert right in the midst of the exam period with thousands of students trying to do last minute revisions.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 16 2017, 04:00 PM   #4159
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Oh . . . . . yeah. That's where they've always been on THIS forum.

Weird couple of days. Birmingham total chaos due to discovery of wartime German bomb on a building site where the Aston Expressway meets the M6. Traffic diverted both days and one train route closed.

Today the new Uni Library was on lockdown for a bomb alert right in the midst of the exam period with thousands of students trying to do last minute revisions.
It's contagious! In the German city of Hannover they evacuated 50,000 people to get rid of a handful of bombs (although several turned out to be harmlessly rusted away).
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ii-bombs-found

And I recently helped out a research bureau working for the municpality of Rotterdam with historical data to discover the location of a possibly undetonated WWII bomb.

Old May 16 2017, 04:31 PM   #4160
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I once spent some days surveying a house in Sutton Coldfield where the cellar still had a lot a graffiti in German and Italian. Some research in the Sutton Coldfield archives revealed that that house had been used in the war as a translation centre and the cellars had been the dormitory for the prisoners of war doing the translations.

C. S. Lewis

Last edited by P'ter; May 17 2017 at 02:24 AM.