A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Aug 14 2010, 04:17 AM   #1
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Spring cleaning

Last year, my mum asked if she could move in with us because she wanted to renovate her house, well circumstances like building permits, plans etc kind of put paid to that idea then she discovered my nan is now in the early stages of alzehimer's disease so the whole premise never got beyond the "I'd like to but not with what life's thrown at me at the moment" from mum. However at the time, hubby dearest then got on the bandwagon and asked me as politely as possible to at least clean the spare room which housed everything from clothes to furniture to books (no, it didn't include the kitchen sink).

Guess what....I'm now in the process of actually doing so (well technically I started last year but I procrastinated big time and....no excuses really ) The recycle bin is full everytime, it's suppose to go out. The 44 gallon drum out the back has been helping the compost heap. The op shops have got several huge bags, a garage sale helping "Relay for life" and ebay's been a help too, to get rid of stuff. I'm actually at the stage where there's several "laneways" where I can get to a desk or cupboard. I haven't finished yet but it's a start

Just don't tell hubby that junior and I have been purchasing ds and xbox games with what we've "earnt" on ebay

Have you ever found yourself in a similiar situation?

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Spring cleaning

Pictures or it didn't happen

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2010, 05:53 AM   #3
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

My parents had that when they were trying to build the new house in a place of the old one, so they had to bring down the old one, which was full of old stuff from my grandfather and my aunts.
Keep up the good work, Jube!

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2010, 06:38 PM   #4
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Well Hans, you'll have to wait until the weekend. I'm on the graveyard shift and any comments, I make, will be "Twitter" ones .

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 16 2010, 12:58 PM   #5
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

I don't want to talk about cleaning house. We are cleaning the kidling's room. I have already put out FOUR bags of garbage from her room alone, and we aren't done yet.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2010, 01:16 PM   #6
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

Heheh, I personally love spring cleaning. I get to go and do a car-boot sale with my uncle once or twice a year so I can get rid of a couple of boxes of 'stuff'. Last year I made £60 just from some old boxes of 'Space Hulk' games that I never played with.

It does take me a week just to do my room and the attic though. I keep going 'oohhh, I remember this', and then proceed to look at it for twenty minutes. xD
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2010, 06:38 PM   #7
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

That's what I'm in the process of doing, except as hubby calls it "ebay is my friend, markets are my hobbies and why do you fill the room back up when you promised you emptied it?"

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 16 2010, 10:15 PM   #8
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

We found a box of old letters that my mother had mailed to her mother back in the early 60s. It was kinda cool to read some of the letters.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2010, 06:15 AM   #9
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

I'm with Jube on this. I still haven't started the spring cleaning I swore I would do last Christmas... I think I should admit It's not going happen, and try again this year....

PS - I also wanna see pics Jube... Maybe it will motivate me...
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2010, 07:25 AM   #10
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
We found a box of old letters that my mother had mailed to her mother back in the early 60s. It was kinda cool to read some of the letters.
I hope you kept those! My mother is about to use some of hers to write a book full of short stories for the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. As a historian I find it extremely frustrating to find a source of family letters only to discover that somebody has then "tidied up" and thrown them all out.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2010, 07:40 AM   #11
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

My biggest cleaning process is when I'm getting rid of my old school books. It stars off as cleaning the room like I do once a week, and then ends up with me taking four or more bags of old books out, and trying to figure out if, and only if, I'll be needing that book next year. And most of the books that were taken out were the ones I thought last year that I'll need them. What can I say, I like to be on the safe side. It will be fun to see me taking books out after I finish high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjslack View Post
I keep going 'oohhh, I remember this', and then proceed to look at it for twenty minutes. xD
He, he... I had that after I stopped painting and got rid of some old papers and colours I had for ages, since I was a little girl. My father would always bring me something new, so it took me hours to get rid of it all.

Dragonman avoid excess
Old Aug 21 2010, 10:53 PM   #12
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Well you did ask, Hans ~ it's a big job because some of it's been built up over the last 14 years whilst some just recently ~ hubby said that no sooner, I get it cleaned up, I fill it up again somehow

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 21 2010, 10:56 PM   #13
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Cool Re: Spring cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
There are some things like letters and photos that we'll keep but for the most part, the bulk of stuff will have to go somehow, just haven't worked out how yet.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 22 2010, 04:50 AM   #14
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
...hubby said that no sooner, I get it cleaned up, I fill it up again somehow
Ah, yes... that tends to always happen, somehow. I know it does to me. We have a small table in the living room, and it's always filled with newspapers, phones and stuff. We clean it up today, in the following 20 or so minutes it gets filled up again.

Dragonman avoid excess
Old Aug 22 2010, 07:42 AM   #15
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Aah yes. We just bought a new table, and threw out the one that was built inside the house in the 1960's - long before Mum bought the house. That meant tidying up everything that was on the old table. Guess what, a week later, the new table is now almost as cluttered as the old one was!
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22 2010, 08:18 AM   #16
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

...that room looks /awesome/. (Yeah, I know I'm peculiar. >.<)

I could quite happily get lost for days tidying something like that up.

Free Ebay Insertion fees this weekend, if you didn't know. xDD
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2010, 12:23 AM   #17
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

You, peculiar, never, Sara Trust me, I probably wouldn't find you either. Probably hiding under the box of teddies that avalanched itself onto you in the top right corner of photo one. That's the box with the Mexican hat covering it up. *waves*

Saw that, probably list another 20 or so items this weekend. My post office got very excited with me last week, I was posting 3-5 parcels everyday. Seriously will be putting it on for 10 days, then I can go to Worldcon and not have to post a blessed thing until afterwards ~ there's plenty of internet cafes if I've got to answer questions and I'm sure that I'll be getting onto MoM to present photos too so.......

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 27 2010, 12:43 AM   #18
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

So far I've delivered over 30 parcels to the post office in the past 10 days. I've managed another path in my spare room but the one to the post office looks more weather-beaten There's also a boxful of stuff ready to be put onto ebay, providing I get off my rear end to photograph. I may end up taking it to the op shop instead.

Sara, think the ebay "free fees" must be on the UK site as I checked out the OZ version and they're not doing it this weekend.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 27 2010, 04:16 AM   #19
CrochetLady
Journeyman

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Reading Brisinger, by Chris Paolini

OH, my gosh, Jube!!! I thought you'd come in whilst I was out today, and taken a photo of my "stash and dash" room! Heavens above! I didn't know there was another soul out there that had a room exactly as messed up as mine! I'm going to be moving to a new, much smaller place in the next couple of months, and I actually have a room like this one, and part of my laundry room in this kind of state. But mine is the same sort of books and a few clothes (most need mending I never seem to get around to), and yarn!!! Yes, my screen name is Crochet Lady, after all!! And I knit, too. I worked for a friend in her yarn store for about 2 to 3 years straight, and so I have odd bits of several wonderful yarns and....well.... Um, can't get rid of it, as I just know I'll find a use for it soon in some project or other!!!

Have you tried Craigslist for some of your stuff, yet? I have a daughter who has both bought and sold stuff on there, and she loves it. There is also something called "Freecycle" for things that you want to give away, but want it to go to a good home, rather than randomly go to just "anyone". I hesitate to say, though, that you might find some good stuff on either one...for fear you'd go for it!! (Much to the hubby's dismay!)

Will we get another couple of pics when you get it all sorted out?
CrochetLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2010, 10:35 AM   #20
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

*chuckles* Yes I've used Freecycle on 3 occasions - 2 bags of boys clothes and a box of children's books went to new homes when I first started to clean the room out. Never heard of Craigslist before - might have a look there but ebay's done alright for me so far.

You'll get some more pics probably closer to xmas - it'll take me that long to clear a few more boxes out. Half a row went into another row today to make it look fuller but I'm still chasing my own tail and tripped over something - started cursing, promptly walked out and thought it was safer at work. Haven't looked at it since I've come home BUT then again, hubby wants me to clear the hallway out too as I've moved some stuff there as I was looking for something to take with me to Aussiecon 4 next week and forgot to put it back. Think I'm a complete nutcase at the moment so thank the heavens above, I've got the next 4 days to clean the bathroom, do the ironing etc in between trying to clear some more boxes out of the way before heading south to Melbourne. Phew-ee!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 27 2010, 11:06 PM   #21
Sandi

I think most of us have a "storage" room or area of some sort that resembles what you've shown us jube. Actually, yours looks more organized than mine.

An aside to Crochet Lady, never throw away odd bits of yarn. They make great doll clothes, potholders and whimsical scarves. Even patchwork afghans. Of course actually getting around to making them is a whole 'nother matter!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2010, 03:50 AM   #22
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

It only looks that way *chuckles* for the moment.

I agree with Sandi, any arts and crafts are always good for something, even if one can't think of anything at the time. Probably most of the stuff on my desk is related to arts and crafts - the kind where one can use to make prezzies etc out of. I'm not a knitter though - most of mine goes to beading or jewellery.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 29 2010, 12:34 AM   #23
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Re: Spring cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
It only looks that way *chuckles* for the moment.

I agree with Sandi, any arts and crafts are always good for something, even if one can't think of anything at the time. Probably most of the stuff on my desk is related to arts and crafts - the kind where one can use to make prezzies etc out of. I'm not a knitter though - most of mine goes to beading or jewelery.
Thanks, I've scraps for scrapbooks, in fact I hide some stuff I was looking for and finely found the other day. In point of fact I've someone who love dragons, loaned some my spare Pern books to her, who want we to show her how I do knots, also some who has some spare ornaments.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29 2010, 05:53 PM   #24
CrochetLady
Journeyman

To Sandi -- Too right, there! Getting to those "Roundtoits" is harder than getting to zero grav without a rocketship!!! And yes, making a patchwork afghan or purse or other fine thing with the odd bits is a lovely idea and is currently called "Freeform" knitting and crochet. You make little bits in strange shapes and then fit them together like a puzzle to make whatever it is you're focused on making. But eh, um, it's the focused bit that I'm lacking sometimes!! Case in point: I'm currently making an easy-to-knit hat on large-size needles and double strands of medium yarn -- only 44 stitches,and 31 rows, so I should've gotten it done in about two hours, I expect. I'm about 5 rows from finishing it..... and it sits at my feet, currently, awaiting my "magic fingers" to get it done! I'll let you know whtn I get it made! ^__^ LOL
Old Aug 29 2010, 06:04 PM   #25
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Photos!!!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29 2010, 11:32 PM   #26
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Come on CrochetLady, I like to see photos too After all if I can inspire myself and someone else to get off their rear end to do something constructive, all to the good, I say

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 30 2010, 12:09 AM   #27
Sandi

I've been knitting a lot lately. I guess I must be a "freeform" knitter since I tend to sort of make things up as I go along. The other day I was fooling around trying to remember how to make a bauble sort of thing and ended up with something that turned into a Barbie-doll size purse instead. Oh well. Some of the things I've made turned out reasonably well.

But jube, you've got it all wrong. The reason I've been knitting so much is because I've needed to stay on my rear end more, not off it.
Old Aug 30 2010, 02:41 AM   #28
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Well how about, I rephrase it to say on or off one's rear end then, does that sound better? You are ishly clever to remind me that each has their own reasons in life to do things how they wish to do so

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 30 2010, 05:42 AM   #29
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

@ Sandi:
There once was a dame from Belsize
Who knitted two jumpers flea-size.
When she'd cast on (quite fine)
It was casting off time
So she knitted two more for some flies.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Aug 31 2010, 01:39 AM   #30
CrochetLady
Journeyman

Hahahahahaha P'ter!!! LOL

And do you want a picture of my room like Jube's or do you want a picture of the hat? I'm not sure how to upload the pics, but can-do if I get some instruction on it. Since seeing Jube's photo, I'm not quite as embarrassed about the room as I have been in the past. Plus, I will be getting it sorted out, anyway, since hubby and I are moving by the end of October (yes, Halloween) to a new place in California. We'll be nearer our grandbabies --- YAYYYYYYYY!!! He is retiring, so we'll see how retirement suits him. I think it will be fun.
Old Aug 31 2010, 10:41 PM   #31
Sandi

P'ter, love the rhyme!

jube, look at it this way. If you sit on your rear and knit or do some other crafty thing, you won't have to wrestle with The Room for a bit.

Crochet Lady, a hat made with only 44 stitches and 31 rows sounds intriguing. Have you finished it yet?
Old Sep 1 2010, 12:48 AM   #32
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Sandi, how did you know I was sitting on my rear end yesterday? You'll understand why when I take "it" to Worldcon on Saturday and hopefully piccies of it too

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Sep 3 2010, 02:30 AM   #33
CrochetLady
Journeyman

Yes, I DID finish the hat, Sandi! Will show a picture of what it looked like before, when I first mentioned it to you guys, and how it looks finished, soon! I've already taken the "before" pics, need to take the "after" pics and then get them uploaded, etc. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! Oh, and I've started a second hat...just to see if I can finish it fairly quickly. This one I'm not doing "in the round", though, just back and forth, on two straight needles.

You will also be happy to know that the um... stash and dash room will soon be much more respectable, too, because I now have boxes and can begin loading up to take what I actually wish to keep to my new, smaller place soon. Before I begin to pack it up, I will take a picture, so all of you can see what I meant about it looking a lot like Jube's!
Old Sep 6 2010, 06:21 PM   #34
CrochetLady
Journeyman

OK, here goes a try at posting a hat picture or three -plus a picture of the Stash-and-Dash Room:

http://crochetladyspics.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Hope y'all can get these. I'm not a photographer like Hans and Cheryl, but wanted to post pics you wanted to see - especially, P'ter!

Last edited by CrochetLady; Sep 6 2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more to the message.
Old Sep 7 2010, 01:54 AM   #35
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Glad I'm not the only "mess-pot" with a stash-and-dash room - cool hats by the way.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Sep 7 2010, 04:56 AM   #36
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

C. S. Lewis

Old Sep 7 2010, 08:21 PM   #37
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Sep 8 2010, 04:12 AM   #38
CrochetLady
Journeyman

@Jube:Thanks! -- for the compliment about the hats. And yes, it feels quite a bit better to think one is not the only person with a room that looks like that!

@P'ter: Yeah, thought you'd see what I meant -- and the room's a tad bigger than that, so there is actually more stuff than that in all that messiness. However, it will soon begin to get much less stuffed with junk. The plan is to get rid of what I don't want to take with me to a duplex we are moving to, and thereby, gain some organization of the stuff. Eh, we'll see if it works. Might do if I never unpack the stuff!

So, y'see what I meant, though, about the hat being easy to make? Didn't take me long at all to make the blue one. The green one just got hung up, because I felt like I didn't have time to finish it... but when I did get it done, then I right away "found" some time to go ahead and make the blue one. Moving will get the upper hand, though, and whatever gets done while I'm riding to the new place, etc. will have to get done on-the-go!

I will post a picture of the room all "cleaned up" after I get most of the junk out of it, either dumped into the trash, or packed up to move!
Old Sep 8 2010, 11:22 PM   #39
Sandi

I like the hats! You've reminded me that I used to have a styro head. It would be a very useful thing when making hats. Make sure that goes into a "Keep" box when you're packing up for your move.
Old Sep 9 2010, 01:34 AM   #40
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Thumbs up Re: Spring cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I like the hats! You've reminded me that I used to have a styro head. It would be a very useful thing when making hats. Make sure that goes into a "Keep" box when you're packing up for your move.
Seconded nice hats. Sound like my collection of crafting odds and ends they are together but not ALL of them yet.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote