A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall > Photography ConCrit

Photography ConCrit Interested amateur photographers can post photos and receive constructive critiques from others. Please read the guidelines thread before posting any photos.

Old Jan 4 2009, 04:07 AM   #1
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Winter Walks

These are a selection taken on a couple of recent walks ...

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2009, 04:15 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Default Re: Winter Walks

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Jan 4 2009, 04:20 AM   #3
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

C. S. Lewis

Old Jan 4 2009, 04:58 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Geez, P'ter, did you really want to post in this forum or exhibit? There's a little too many for in here of to comment upon.

They are nice pictures and I definitely like the closeups of the birds but your camera seems to get a little fuzzy when you zoom in? The photo's are good bu not sharp, or maybe you just need to start using a monopod or tripod?

The scene with all the ducks has a comic quality I ike but is so over exposed that it needs major photoshop work (if that can save it). Same goes for the statue.

The duck on ice doesn't have eyes (wat a reat sentences), which probably could be corrected with making it lighter altogether becase it is somewhat dark.

The sea pictures (WOW, I am very impressed by tose canoeers) need more conrast. I know the sea isn't a thankful object when colour is concerned but these pics are too flat.

The valey picture seems to have a dreamlike, hazy qality but I'm afraid it is caused by simple over exposure which will be hard to tone down while not losing the excellent foreground composition.

In the very last picture I would have made the foreground dark as in its sister photograph, which looks great. The first backlight pic I like very much, but then, I like that kind of picture.

The frosted trees picture looks like it is short a much too high ISO value, it is very grainy. Was it shot with a dfferent camera? It needs more contrast and if your camera has a choice for it, set ISO to 100 with these kind.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2009, 02:52 PM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

These haven't been photoshopped, some have been cropped but only in the basic toolbox in windows.

C. S. Lewis

Old Jan 5 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Dang it, P'ter... you got me homesick here.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Aww...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 9 2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea

Lovely Pictures P'ter.

I agree with Hans on his comment about the duck missing the eye. If there was something there to see, even a slight glare off the eye to let us know that it was there would be nice.

In your third posting, the first pic of the valley....I'm in love, I can completely see that on matted with a satin finish(at least I think it would be satin) I love the way it transitions from detail in the bottom to almost a blurry fantasy towards the top.

Great job
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9 2009, 03:45 PM   #9
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Well if you liked that one, how about this one?

C. S. Lewis

Old Jan 9 2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea

I won't deny that the second one is quite nice but I still like the first one better.
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12 2009, 01:48 PM   #11
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
The scene with all the ducks has a comic quality I ike but is so over exposed that it needs major photoshop work (if that can save it). Same goes for the statue.
Technically, photoshop can't save a photograph that's overexposed if the highlights have been saturated (i.e. if the brightest parts of the photo have turned into splodges of white - if you adjust the exposure in photoshop they turn into splodges of grey because you've lost some information). But artistically it depends whether the highlights were the important part of the photograph or not. The overexposure gives the last two photos a wonderful dreamy quality.

I like all the bird close ups, especially the very first picture.
Old Jan 12 2009, 02:32 PM   #12
Dernok
Eskay

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Well if you liked that one, how about this one?
Without the fence this could be a painting from Caspar David Friedrich. (That means i like it. )

That's the one that came to my mind. I once got it in hires and used it as desktop wallpaper...

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_...4_2_055_0.html

Last edited by Dernok; Jan 12 2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added link
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12 2009, 02:53 PM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
Technically, photoshop can't save a photograph that's overexposed ... <snip>
Uhm, yes, true, but that's supposing you just want to work with the data/info that the photograph has. The sky/background can - of course - be manipulated any which way you like by NO sing the original data or with data from another picture.

If I wanted a soft blue sky background in that picture I would simply put one in And that's what I call major photoshop work

Old Jan 12 2009, 05:15 PM   #14
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

The photo is so near to a silhouette that the eye data ain't there, I've been in and checked as many ways as I can. The only way I could put an eye in is to photoshop one in form another photo.

The 2nd landscape: the quality I liked was the way it echoed a lot of 1930s painted landscapes as displayed in English railway carriages, and travel posters.

C. S. Lewis

Last edited by P'ter; Jan 13 2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old Jan 12 2009, 05:45 PM   #15
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

P'ter, I would not mind going for a winter walk with you!

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2009, 03:02 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

You're absolutely right, P'ter. I looked at it and it seems as if the duck is winking at you and you just caught it when it closed its eye So no salvage there. Still, it makes or breaks the pic, so in my case this would be a discard or... if I have another picture of the (or a similar) duck I might lend an eye and put it in

Last edited by Hans; Jan 14 2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old Jan 13 2009, 11:36 PM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Peter...I would gladly join you and Nina, for a lovely winters walks, if you would promise me more sights like these....these are beautiful and well worth taking some time to enjoy.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2009, 11:58 PM   #18
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

The top one was taken on a trip to Bridgnorth with eldest g'daughter Andi.

The next three were taken in our local park when we had a snowstorm before Christmas.

The rest were taken on a trip to my brother's in Swansea at New Year. I dropped a box full of books off at Edith's and so took a very different route to my normal one. It was a very cold day and everything was covered in hoarfrost. Unfortunately I was in traffic and couldn't stop to take photos, but I spotted a few good spots and made use of them on my way home. The coastal ones were mostly taken on a family hike around part of the Gower.

C. S. Lewis

Old Jan 14 2009, 02:12 PM   #19
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I thought that some of the views looked vaguely familiar!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2009, 05:29 PM   #20
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Uhm, yes, true, but that's supposing you just want to work with the data/info that the photograph has. The sky/background can - of course - be manipulated any which way you like by NO sing the original data or with data from another picture.

If I wanted a soft blue sky background in that picture I would simply put one in And that's what I call major photoshop work
I hadn't thought of that. (I'm thinking too much like a scientist.) So if you've lost some information from a photograph you just borrow a bit of information from somewhere else.
Old Jan 23 2009, 04:57 AM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Absolutely! That's why it is a good thing making photographs from the same onbject with different camera settings.

And fortunately, with todays digital, it doesn't cost us a penny extra to have many pictures of the same object, whie with traditional film I would have had to crb my enthusiasm - especially with colour film, which I have never developed/printed myself.

For instance: I made the photograph below when our state secretary of health, well-being and sports visited one of our houses (the woman on the right). My boss )chief exective officer prof.dr. Hans Becker) is in the middle. But I actually borrowed the secretary from another photograph because my boss and the snake lady are posing so well. In the original the secretary had already turned round and was walking towards the person in the background So this is not a small tweak of an eye (and I really do those!) or arm or something, but the whole person. I like the result because it does show what happened in reality (she was girlishly acting as if she didn't dare do what Hans did) and I liked her facial expression in the borrowed photograph.

I'm not at work now (this picture is on our website, so I could link to it) but I'll see if I can also post the original.

Old Jan 23 2009, 04:25 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Nice composition Hans...but I will pass on the snake...YUCK!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23 2009, 06:14 PM   #23
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Doesn't the Sec of State look like actress Liz Goddard?

C. S. Lewis

Old Jan 23 2009, 11:29 PM   #24
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series

P'ter I am in love with the first picture of that beautifully colored duck… or at least what looks like a duck to me.

Do you know the animal’s proper name or what species it is?

Pictures like this make my heart melt. I love animals!!
Old Jan 27 2009, 03:22 PM   #25
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

That could be a Mandarin duck, I think.
Old Jan 27 2009, 04:07 PM   #26
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
That could be a Mandarin duck, I think.
Is that the kind that goes so well with Chinese food?

Old Jan 27 2009, 04:36 PM   #27
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Tis indeed a Mandarin (Aix galericulata). Last time I asked one about Chinese food he was rather cut up about it

('ducks' and runs)

C. S. Lewis

Old Jan 27 2009, 07:49 PM   #28
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Tis indeed a Mandarin (Aix galericulata). Last time I asked one about Chinese food he was rather cut up about it

('ducks' and runs)
*cricket sounds*
Old Jan 28 2009, 05:42 AM   #29
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

No Draco: in cricket that would be duck and NO runs!

C. S. Lewis

Old Jan 28 2009, 08:33 AM   #30
Hans
Master Archivist

Unless the duck does a (fly) over or dresses up as a bat(sman), then everybody runs...

Old Jan 30 2009, 08:05 AM   #31
Allen

*Dead silence, with only the sound of a lone cricket chirping, as P'ter and Hans tap microphones and say, "Hello? Is this thing on?"*

[sarcasm]There, is that more explanitory?[/sarcasm]
Old Jan 30 2009, 10:12 AM   #32
Hans
Master Archivist

*tweep*

tap-tap

*quack*