A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern > Science of Pern

Science of Pern This forum is for Edith's Science of Pern project. Please keep each post to one subject, and stay on topic; off topic posts may be moved or deleted. Guests may post in this forum (subject to change).

Old Nov 15 2007, 06:18 AM   #41
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen
Default Re: Eye Facets

I haven't seen any still stereo images, only a movie demonstrated by a company who wanted to sell the equipment to our visitor centre. It produced some staggering 3-D moving images. Unfortunately, the equipment was way beyond what our visitor centre could afford. Perhaps some visitor centre somewhere with a larger budget has this equipment and you'll be able to see these images for yourself? Were the still images you saw holograms? These moving images aren't as good as holograms.

The "nothing" description comes from a book I read on string theory. I can't begin to understand it , but the theory includes the concept of a kind of "nothing" in which there is no space or time. Weird.

I'm also fascinated by Stephen Hawking's admission that a black hole does, in fact, preserve information. I wonder if that means you could survive falling into a black hole by being teleported through it (in the Star Trek sense in which you are dematerialised and the information needed to construct your body is transmitted through the black hole and then used to reconstruct you at the other end)? Perhaps that's how people could survive the incredible forces contained in a wormhole? Pure science fantasy but fascinating.

But I'm digressing a bit from the subject of eye facets...
Old Nov 15 2007, 07:34 AM   #42
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I mostly dislike spherical geometry, but find it oddly fascinating that you can have a triange which has three right angles.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2007, 07:42 AM   #43
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Ah, that reminds me of the old "Man walks due south, due east, due north and finds himself back were he started: what is he wearing?" riddle...

The first years are doing lots of spherical trig this term.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2007, 12:42 PM   #44
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
I haven't seen any still stereo images, only a movie demonstrated by a company who wanted to sell the equipment to our visitor centre. It produced some staggering 3-D moving images. Unfortunately, the equipment was way beyond what our visitor centre could afford. Perhaps some visitor centre somewhere with a larger budget has this equipment and you'll be able to see these images for yourself? Were the still images you saw holograms? These moving images aren't as good as holograms.

The "nothing" description comes from a book I read on string theory. I can't begin to understand it , but the theory includes the concept of a kind of "nothing" in which there is no space or time. Weird.

I'm also fascinated by Stephen Hawking's admission that a black hole does, in fact, preserve information. I wonder if that means you could survive falling into a black hole by being teleported through it (in the Star Trek sense in which you are dematerialised and the information needed to construct your body is transmitted through the black hole and then used to reconstruct you at the other end)? Perhaps that's how people could survive the incredible forces contained in a wormhole? Pure science fantasy but fascinating.

But I'm digressing a bit from the subject of eye facets...
these were images taken by the Stereo spacecraft. Just classic green and red glasses thingys!

digression is fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
I mostly dislike spherical geometry, but find it oddly fascinating that you can have a triange which has three right angles.
I was shocked to find I was the only one in my class to know this 2 years ago! I loved those old OU videos
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2007, 01:30 PM   #45
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Ah, that reminds me of the old "Man walks due south, due east, due north and finds himself back were he started: what is he wearing?" riddle...
A warm coat, a hat, some headphones and a microphone for speaking to BBC viewers. It's Michael Palin...
Old Nov 15 2007, 04:12 PM   #46
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
A warm coat, a hat, some headphones and a microphone for speaking to BBC viewers. It's Michael Palin...
*spitdrinkonmonitor*

At the risk of going off-topic, I'm going to say how much I've enjoyed his newest documentary on Europe.

Getting back to Pern - he actually reminds me of Piemur in a lot of ways!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2007, 04:27 PM   #47
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Cheryl: the converse is also true: you can have a triangle with all three angles adding to less than 180°

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2007, 01:39 PM   #48
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Cheryl: the converse is also true: you can have a triangle with all three angles adding to less than 180°
Hyperbolic space!

Oh the joys of rubber sheets and dodgy jumpers!

And it was these videos that got me really interested in physics!
Old Nov 26 2007, 03:11 PM   #49
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

That one must have three left angles.
Old Nov 27 2007, 06:00 PM   #50
Balgarion13
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders

beside the fact that this is all of topic, lol (literally).
also, a triangle with 3 right angles isn't possible on a flat plane, is it. if so, how.
Balgarion13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2007, 06:02 PM   #51
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balgarion13 View Post
beside the fact that this is all of topic, lol (literally).
also, a triangle with 3 right angles isn't possible on a flat plane, is it. if so, how.
we're not on a flat plane any more
Old Feb 15 2008, 07:21 PM   #52
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaterasu View Post
Yes, I know what you mean. Fullerene C60 (a real molecule) is constracted in this way (we even have it at our lab store). But the facet hexagons must not be flat.
Wow! I found an example!

Amaterasu, This is amazing and I wish that I would have seen this earlier before I drew my lastest portriat of Peter's dragon...I got Wrath's eyes fairly close to this picture...without being to exact...I don't think I could have made my facets any smaller, and still had them recognized as facets working as small as and with using colored pencils.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2008, 12:11 PM   #53
Amaterasu
Jewel Junk

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Y.A. Fedosyuk

Maelin You have drawn Wrath excellent: the dragon is 3D shaped there, and his eyes are very carefully done - I don't think that the dragon's facets must be smaller. Otherwise, man could see them only with a help of electron microscope. )
Amaterasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2008, 07:56 PM   #54
Rea
Inactive

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Rereading Dragonseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaterasu View Post
About "glowing" dragon eyes: it could be caused by luminiscence. There are many creatures on Earth which are able to "glow".

On what Amaterasu mentioned before in this thread... Is it possible that they have Bioluminescence in their eyes, and when the dragon has an "emotional" change, a chemical is sent to the eye that causes the bacteria that glows, to change color?
I know a lot of the deep ocean fish, ala the angler fish, are able to make their "glows" blink to attract prey, or change colors between red and blue as is the case with other deep water fish. (Too much discovery and animal planet for you, Rea. 0.o )
Just a thought.

Edit: ... And I just realized this is an older thread. I hope it's okay to post in older threads. ^^;

Last edited by Rea; May 26 2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Oops?
Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2008, 06:43 PM   #55
Brenda

As long as you have something to say!

Actually, I sometimes will find an older thread when looking for something else, and will "bump" it because I had forgotten about that particular discussion.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14 2008, 03:56 PM   #56
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
As long as you have something to say!

Actually, I sometimes will find an older thread when looking for something else, and will "bump" it because I had forgotten about that particular discussion.
So do I. I like to read all of Anne Works but take me longer to read them or respond to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
On what Amaterasu mentioned before in this thread... Is it possible that they have Bioluminescence in their eyes, and when the dragon has an "emotional" change, a chemical is sent to the eye that causes the bacteria that glows, to change color?
I know a lot of the deep ocean fish, ala the angler fish, are able to make their "glows" blink to attract prey, or change colors between red and blue as is the case with other deep water fish. (Too much discovery and animal planet for you, Rea. 0.o )
Just a thought.

Edit: ... And I just realized this is an older thread. I hope it's okay to post in older threads. ^^;
So do I, In Moreta, She see that the eyes are gray. Skin is dry. Also with bleed to death. With dragonrider tired and the new healers know nother abuot dragon healing, along with her queen cluching early. She forgot to check on other damages. But the problems was stoped. Her eye factets started to glow.

Gray and all color from body was a way the dragon showed morning.

In the Sky of Pern. After Golly was hurt, his rider with Tia and her green help, removed the stiches from the lids. As each lid was undone and open It was gray but a few of the undamage ones where showing color.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by Hans; Jun 14 2008 at 04:29 PM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22 2008, 10:36 PM   #57
Pernaficionado

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: brainships

Quote:
I don't think that could be it, since dragon eyes can glow in absolute darkness, and cat eyes need some light to reflect. And they glow at any angle, unlike a cat's. Dragon eyes must have some way of internally producing light.
Here is a thought: Cat's eyes have only the one lens so light MUST hit at an angle that corresponds to that lens. Maybe all the dragon facets that create the dome are capable of that kind of reflection and since there are so many the eyes "glow" from even the tiniest amount of light reflected back from the lens
Also,iI think the "whirling" is an optical illusion created by light reflecting from the facets OR within them when a dragon adjusts its vision. Think how the light sort of "swirls" as it is reflected off a spinning disco ball. Now what would happen if the disco ball could also tilt? or move in a circle the way an eye does instead of spin?
The whirling is said to accelerate the more strongly a dragon feels things and extremely fast with negative emotions. People often do the same thing when they are worried or distraught. It isn't a reaction we often think about though.
Anyway, that is how I always picture dragon eye movements.
Pernaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2009, 03:38 AM   #58
DragonDance
Welladay Whale

I don't think dragon eyes could glow in their own right. If eyes work by making images out of the light that bounced off of items, any outgoing light coming directly from their eyes would blind them, wouldn't it?

I like to think of them as hypersensitive cat eyes. The multiple facets could make it easier and more likely to reflect light than a feline single lens.
DragonDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2009, 10:33 PM   #59
Old Hippie
Rocksquat

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Mutineer's Moon

Well, I like the "Between" as a demensional shift, not into the void of space (freeze and vacume). Just no reference points for the mind to follow.
As far as the eyes go, I just figure it works like our skin shows, whiteish for fear, flushed for embarrasement, red for anger. A combination of emotion and blood pressure. Being a "Alien" race in their own right, gives them abilities we have yet to encounter to explain or understand.
Holy Bucky Balls, Batman!
Old Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12 2012, 10:53 AM   #60
khuriya
Muskie

Fan of: Pern ;3
Now Reading: Transformers Classics vol. 02

On the subject of eyes with hexagonal facets etc and how they could work, trilobite eyes are also fascinating ...
khuriya is offline   Reply With Quote