A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Crystal Singer and Brainships

View Poll Results: Who would you want to see immortalised on film?
Helva the Singer 3 20.00%
Hypatia and Alex's search for the Eskays 7 46.67%
Carialle, Keff and the Mythic Beasts 2 13.33%
Nancia's morality play 0 0%
Simeon, the City 2 13.33%
Another major player I may have forgotten! 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 13 2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!
Big Grin Brains on TV!

I was sat around wondering the other day (as you do), and a thought struck me. There has been talk for some years about making DRoP into some kind of TV series or movie or cartoon or somesuch, but what with their being a large market out there for the harder sci-fi that is set in space (well, I'm no publisher or media type but I am presuming so!) how about the BB series of books being made into something visual?

Who would you want to see being made over in this way? The adventures of Helva as she sings around the galaxy? Alex and Tia as they track down the EsKay homeworld? Carialle as she and Keff scoot around trying to find more beasties? Perhaps Nancia as she tries to balance her morals against a very amoral universe? Or Simeon's life story?

I'm not actually sure who I would vote for, to be honest! I think that Helva's is a very 'tellable' story and it does break up nicely into sections. But then the EsKay search could be a pretty good series too.

So what do all of you Brain-lovers think????
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Brains on TV!

Hypathia without a doubt; I think hers is the best story to be made into a movie/TV show!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Tia, if only because she's my favorite..

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I've long thought that the Brainships would make a great TV show. Though rather than try to turn a specific book into a show, I think they could create a new character. That way they're not tied to a plot that might not translate perfectly onto the screen -- and won't upset fans by changing it. Some of the 'real' brainships could have cameos from time to time.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2007, 05:27 AM   #5
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I like Cheryl's idea. But if they do decide to use one of Anne's characters, I'd suggest Tia. Mainly because as we know her as a mobile human child, she'll be that much easier to relate to as a character for most people. Otherwise the temptation to insert a human face on one viewscreen so that the brawn has a human to interact with would be all too tempting, and that would change Anne's concept a bit too much for my taste. With Hypatia, we also get the MotoProsthetic body near the end, making the character even more human.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Mmm. I hadn't considered the angle that Cheryl suggested! It would make a lot of sense!

And Granath is right too - a face on a viewscreen would rather defeat the purpose of the entire Brain-Brawn dynamic. Brawn's are trained to accept that the entire ship (or City or Station) is one extension of that being - although some Brains project an image in certain cases, it would not appear to be the norm.

It's quite interesting that Tia is (so far) the favourite. Is it, as Granath touch upon, the fact that there is more of a human aspect to her? We get to see her personality as a human child, the effects of her illness and how it effects her life as a shellperson. All the others we see purely as the entity of Brain. It is only Tia who has that 'extra' part.
Old Aug 14 2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Brawns may be trained to accept it, and as readers we're used to the idea (and anyway you can't see a face when you read). However I would suspect that if it ever was developed for tv, that they would do a face on a viewscreen to help the audience relate.

And I don't honestly think that detracts too much from it, less so that than the idea of the full moto-body that Tia gets.
Old Aug 14 2007, 02:18 PM   #8
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

For those of you have ever watched the UK comedy 'Red Dwarf', the image of Holly rather springs to mind (and probably quite unfairly) as to one avenue 'they' could explore.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, suffice it to say that Holly was the ship's computer who was a disembodied head on a TV screen. It was made in the 90s and the effects for Holly were not that good, and it really was a small TV screen.

Do you think Tia wanted the body so much because she'd already had one?
Old Aug 14 2007, 04:47 PM   #9
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I think so. She knew what it felt like to have a body, and I suspect they couldn't condition her as much as they conditioned babies shelled at a few months of age. After all, Tia still needs to sleep for three hours a day, unlike Helva or any other brainship we hear about. I wonder if Moira needs to sleep as well...
Old Aug 14 2007, 08:46 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Naturally I would love to see *Helva* come to the screen...just as Anne wrote it. But for the T.V. small screen I can see Cheryl's idea been a very realistic one that actually could be made into a fantastic series...and very contemporary with the very intelligent ship that has all this personality and the brawns that keep changing from time to time as do the passengers.
I do see the real benifit to doing Tia also..her robotic body would add reall intrest to different episodes where she could leave her ship for short periods of time...WOW this is all so interesting now I want to see some outfit really make it!!!

P.S. Thank you Gidget for thinking up this one...this really will give me some lovely daydreams to think on...and a T.V. show/movie to hope for...someday!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2007, 08:46 AM   #11
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Thank you Gidget for thinking up this one...this really will give me some lovely daydreams to think on...and a T.V. show/movie to hope for...someday!!!
LOL Thanks Lady M! Always glad to help

I've been thinking more about Cheryl's idea and the more I think on it, the more it makes very good sense. I'm sure that it would also avoid some kind of copyright issues!!!

*sigh* Yeah, it would be cool to think that one day, sandwiched between the endless reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond and Star Trek: Enterprise there could be a show about Brains.
Old Aug 15 2007, 10:24 AM   #12
Cheryl
Master Archivist

It doesn't avoid copyright issues, anyone developing such a show would still have to buy the rights to the books. But it avoids annoying fans by not living up to their expectations of how a book should translate to tv.
Old Aug 15 2007, 03:06 PM   #13
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Tia, for the reasons mentioned above. And I reckon it'd make a great episodic mini-series.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2007, 11:50 PM   #14
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

As much as I would like to see Helva's tale brought to the screen , I think Tia's tale would most likely make a better story to start out with. Undoubtedly, if her tale were to prove sucessful enough, it could probably lead to the others being adapted.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2 2007, 01:46 PM   #15
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Although to be frank, there are some glaring continuity issues in SSearched as well, such as when conversations are recorded in the cabin and when they aren't. Tia wasn't worrying about recordings when Alex blackmailed her (unintentionally, but nevertheless) into taking him as her brawn, but certainly later. And I wondered last time I read when they were on the treasure cache planet how Alex dared to get out of his suit while they were still under the snow. That's when they discovered the things about the EsKay maps, and he walked in stockinged feet, etc. He should've stayed in the suit, preferably until it could be purged in space.
Old Sep 5 2007, 05:39 AM   #16
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I always thought that they'd be better on radio...

I mean, even with CGI you'd have problems with Fred.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8 2007, 12:51 AM   #17
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

you sould have added all of the above I can't pick I would love to see them all
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26 2007, 07:38 PM   #18
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

I would choose Simeon the City - I already saw the film when reading.

Maybe I have a good imagination

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27 2007, 05:51 AM   #19
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

LOL Nina - no, I quite agree that the visuals there would be quite stunning, especially if they were to include a chunk of the Kolnari back-story.
Old Sep 27 2007, 08:51 AM   #20
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Well, at EuroCon Anne herself said that she's always thought Helva would translate well to tv, but that a project never got off the ground for it.
Old Nov 17 2008, 09:03 PM   #21
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

You would still have the human aspect of Helva (well besides the obvious statements of Tia). After all, the start of the series would be from when Helva's mother gave birth to her and finding out about Helva's physical disabilities. The decision of putting her into a shell etc would be an "endearing" point of view as most parents would relate to the "what if's", especially those who have children with disabilities (both physical and mental/learning e.g. dyslexia, aspergers, AHDH). It would reek of the humane-ness of what people go through to find themselves in that situation.

But then what's considered "normal"? A person who is physically able, would consider themselves normal, in much the same way that a person with disabilities would consider themselves normal. It's how we look at it and compare. Consider how it's written in the books, that "shelled" people consider "soft-shells" as being too soft (pardon the pun here) and vice versa - shells as being a hard-core tin-plated @#%^. MM and SPRIM getting a workout for sure.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18 2008, 02:17 AM   #22
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Excellently stated, Jube. I think normal is more of an individual state than some blanket term that applies the same way to everyone. If that makes sense...

Old Nov 18 2008, 07:21 PM   #23
Brenda

I voted for Tia, because she's the one I get the most emotionally involved with. The runners-up for me are Carialle and Simeon, although both would be compared to Star Trek - Carialle with TOS and TNG, and Simeon with DS9 - that one basically had the same plot at one point, just with less raping and pillaging.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19 2008, 03:25 PM   #24
Pernaficionado

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: brainships

I voted on Helva, but i was thinking more in terms of tv series and less in terms of a movie. Helva's plot breaks up into so many little stories that I think it would adapt well to the structured format of a series. I was a little concerned about the corviki translation though.
Pernaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19 2008, 09:06 PM   #25
Sandi

I like Cheryl's idea of a fresh start with a new Brain (or several!). I do see how Helva's story would translate easily and Tia's character would be more empathetic (for some). And, like Nina, I "see a movie" every time I read City Who Fought. I wouldn't have a problem with a "face on a screen" situation. Simeon used one and so did Tia (snarling dog). I think the concept would work well for TV or movies. Anne on TV would be great for me!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2008, 09:33 AM   #26
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Carrial (sp?) used several 'faces' didn't she, especially when 'gaming'

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2008, 09:40 AM   #27
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

She did! And she used a "frog" to communicate with the globe frogs.
Old Nov 21 2008, 12:15 PM   #28
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

I think at times all of the Brains had some sort of avatar. Simeon had the dog, although that was more his pet than himself.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2008, 01:47 PM   #29
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I thought his 'dog' was his alta ego

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Nov 21 2008, 04:23 PM   #30
Brenda

The "dog" represented the station's AI.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2008, 06:57 PM   #31
Lis
Ballybran Resident

Fan of: All

Simeon projected a face too, of how he saw himself, he wore a baseball cap and had a duelling scar.
Lis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2008, 10:11 PM   #32
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

"Hubba-hubba!"

C. S. Lewis

Old Nov 22 2008, 12:31 AM   #33
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I really think that a new ship personality would work great
on T.V., especially if they also combined the moto body like
Tia's, and the multiple screen personalities of Carrialle...toss
in a few different traveling compainions with along with a
fantastic brawn...and you have what it takes for a hit T.V.
show.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2008, 03:41 AM   #34
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Hi all! I am getting to vote, I think on it and get back to you.

If I recall right something about Anne wanting to do Doona as a move

"srug shoulder" Its was on a tape via a Inter-libary loan which may not be around. "An Address by Anne McCaffrey"

Just around the publishcation of DragonDrum and YA books.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2013, 11:37 PM   #35
Dannette
Journeyman

Fan of: The Ship who Searched
Now Reading: Moreta, Dragonlady of Pern

Ship Who Searched for me, I'm on my third copy in paperback -my first I re-read till it fell apart, I gave my second to a dear friend, and my third is looking somewhat dog-eared now. Of course with something so well loved, yes, if they ballsed it up I would be extemely annoyed *remembers the cock-up with the Dinotopia series in 2004*

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
Although to be frank, there are some glaring continuity issues in SSearched as well, such as when conversations are recorded in the cabin and when they aren't. Tia wasn't worrying about recordings when Alex blackmailed her (unintentionally, but nevertheless) into taking him as her brawn, but certainly later. And I wondered last time I read when they were on the treasure cache planet how Alex dared to get out of his suit while they were still under the snow. That's when they discovered the things about the EsKay maps, and he walked in stockinged feet, etc. He should've stayed in the suit, preferably until it could be purged in space.
Yes, and I've just noticed another "Anne-consistency" myself, about the ages that people are shelled.

Page 18, Tia recalling Moira telling her things about the shell-person program:
"The last time Moira had come to visit, she'd told Tia some stories about what going into the shellperson program had been like, for unlike most shellpersons, she hadn't been popped into her shell until she'd been nearly four. (bold, my emphasis, and a paragraph down it states she WAS four when shelled.)

Then on Page 170, she's talking to Alex about how she became a shellperson, and he states:
"How did you get into the shellperson program?" he asked. "I thought they didn't take anyone after the age of one!"
"They didn't, until me, she replied.
(bold my emphasis.)

Except that they had taken Moira, before her, at almost four, or four....

Dannette
Dannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15 2016, 08:39 AM   #36
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

^ That one's certainly a glaring example. Still, Tia remains my favorite Brain.
Old Jul 21 2016, 10:05 PM   #37
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Well I just found mine https://www.amazon.com/Ship-Who-Sang...+Ship+Who+Sang

https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Ships-B...17MBTNDPSBQTZD

https://www.amazon.com/City-Brain-Br...K9E2DMCY87Z5MG

https://www.amazon.com/Saved-Worlds-...K9E2DMCY87Z5MG

And shared the information with some else.

But I think many of them would be good. Or the idea of shellperson control in The Ship that Searched. And drat, I have to get back to you on that.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 31 2016, 01:12 AM   #38
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

I'm still disappointed that The Ship Who Sang isn't available for Kindle. My copy is old and faded. At least I've got a magnifier and a CCTV for when I want to read it.

Old Jul 31 2016, 01:40 AM   #39
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenrider Tresa View Post
I'm still disappointed that The Ship Who Sang isn't available for Kindle. My copy is old and faded. At least I've got a magnifier and a CCTV for when I want to read it.
Same thing here.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons