A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

View Poll Results: What kind of meat would be closest to what they use on Pern?
Beef 17 43.59%
Pork 2 5.13%
mutton or lamb 3 7.69%
Fish 0 0%
Beef and Pork 3 7.69%
All of the above 14 35.90%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 28 2007, 12:53 PM   #1
chrisfrostic

Default Meatrolls ~ with pictures

Ok, now I am hooked... I have read meatrolls, meatrolls, meatrolls on almost every page of all the dragon books...
so I decided that I needed to try some...

Read this thread for the background and the original recipe that I posted...
http://forums.srellim.org/showthread...referrerid=767

This is my second attempt at making them... the first ones were good but they disapeared so fast that I didnt get many...

First we need the meat. This is just a hamburger meatloaf mix, but you can use sausage, lamb, or what ever you want... Eggs hold it together... everyone has their own favorite meatloaf recipe...

Your basic "Pizza" dough recipe... water, salt, sugar, yeast, bread flour...
pretty much 1 cup water to 3 cups of flour. still in the bread machine.

Take about 1/3 of it out and make a dough patty...

Roll it out like so...

Then put the meat on the dough...

You'll have to wash your hands after putting the meat on the dough
but if you leave your (clean) hands wet then you will have some water to make the seams stick together as you roll the dough around the meat...

Fold it over...

Then roll it up... tuck in the ends...

In the pan and cut your vents...

Bake about an hour at 350 degrees F. Pour off the grease and let them cool... cut into 4" to 6" lengths...
Old Jun 28 2007, 02:23 PM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Meatrolls ~ with pictures

WOW!!! Those look delicious I can see why they didn't last too long. I do have one comment though,in the stories they talk about grabbing handfuls of them and shoveing them into their pockets and or bags for a quick trip. So I have always thought of them as the size of Pigs-in-a-blanket, only instead of a small weiner, or sausage...there would be some sort of sausage/meat combo...like you have here. I would love to make some of these some time...they would go great with soup in the winter.
Thank you so much for sharing all of your hard work with the rest of us.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Imagine them a lot smaller, Maelin

Great work, Chris!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2007, 04:03 PM   #4
chrisfrostic

Did I mention that you cut them into 4" or 6" lengths?

That might help, but as I was reading "All the Weyrs of Pern" today I did notice something that may change the way I am thinking about "Meatrolls" :

Chapt 16:
"No Meatrolls!" Mirrim said with a dramatic shudder as Sharra reached into the cupboard for some. "I'll puke if I have to eat any more. Thank goodness Master Robinton likes proper bread and sliced meats and raw vegetables."

She is reaching in the cupboard for them? I don't think I would keep these in the cupboard! but maybe I am spoiled with mechanical refridgeration?...

Also I cant find it now but I was reading and someone "grabbed several rounds" ?? so maybe they are more like a meat filled "Roll" like a dinner roll?
bread all the way around.

They are good this way though...
Old Jun 28 2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Those look delicious!

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Brenda

I always thought of them as individual rolls, but those look really good!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2007, 05:38 PM   #7
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

wow those look good! I think a mixture of meat would be quite good.

Last edited by FlameCat; Jun 29 2007 at 03:09 AM.
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2007, 10:50 PM   #8
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

The DLGP has a reciepie in it for meat roll (I think) that I want to try one day.
I wonder if instead of fresh meat they use dried or smoked meat that wold have kept longer.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2007, 02:36 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

I just finished taking notres on Dragon's Fire and Todd has introduced beef jerky...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 29 2007, 04:00 AM   #10
Jayru

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I just finished taking notres on Dragon's Fire and Todd has introduced beef jerky...
beef jerky - horrid stuff... although as a child I used to like it It's easy enough to make, so I'm surprised it's not been mentioned on Pern before...

Those meatrolls look yummy chrisfrostic - may have a go at this myself (more baking today). Although, I have to say I have always though of them as being quite small given the way they are referred to in the books.
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2007, 06:11 AM   #11
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I usually think of them as sausage rolls- make with shortcrust pastry (less messy and easier than flaky- quicker than bread dough too- I can knock out a batch of pastry in a couple of minutes with a fork- its better if you use fingers- but mine are too warm so I use a fork)
I need to finish my fish rolls some time- but I'm not carting a kilo of flour across to to my flat.
Working on the fact that its only recently that we've decided that room temperature is higher than 20 degrees I'd say that food would be less likely to go off in a cupboard- especially if they were kept under one of those muslin things which use evaporation to cool things down.

I think it'd be whatever was lying around at the time.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2007, 05:23 PM   #12
Lily

now: Fish Rolls! We hear very little about them
I visualise the fish mushed up with bread crumbs and seasonings, formed into rolls and baked
What do you think?
Old Jun 29 2007, 06:43 PM   #13
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

If it is in fact sausage meat, you could keep it without refrigeration, sort of. The whole point of charcuterie is to preserve meats in conditions where you can't keep them cold.

Cutting long rolls would be messy so I assume they're made individually. I would also assume that they are in fact a sausage meat of some variety (about 50-50 lean/fat) because it's more stable than simple ground meat.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2007, 07:31 PM   #14
chrisfrostic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcuterie

Charcuterie (from either the French chair cuite, cooked meat, or the French cuiseur de chair, cooker of meat) is the branch of cooking devoted to prepared meat products such as sausage and confit primarily from pork. The practice goes back to ancient times and can involve the chemical preservation of meats; it is also a means of using up various meat scraps. Hams, whether smoked, air-cured, salted, or treated by chemical means, are examples of charcuterie.

The French word for a person who prepares charcuterie is charcutier, and that is generally translated into English as "pork butcher." This has led to the mistaken belief that charcuterie can only involve pork. The Food Lover's Companion, however, says that "it refers to the products, particularly (but not limited to) pork specialties such as pâtés, rillettes, galantines, crépinettes, etc., which are made and sold in a delicatessen-style shop, also called a charcuterie." And the 1961 edition of Larousse Gastronomique defines it as: "The art of preparing various meats, in particular pork, in order to present them in the most diverse ways."

The word can also refer to a delicatessen, a meat shop that specializes in primarily pork products, or that part of a supermarket that specializes in meat products such as hams and sausages.
Old Jun 29 2007, 07:54 PM   #15
Lily

The Pernese did not use preservatives in any way did they?
Old Jun 29 2007, 11:04 PM   #16
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I would think that in the colder climets they could have at least smokes some of the meat. Come to think of it in Dragonsong it was mentioned that smoked Yellow fins were good. Or maybe they said dried out. I'll have take a look. They could have used salt also to preseve meat.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2007, 02:10 AM   #17
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

And I don't doubt that they would have fermentation as well. Although, whether they have surstromming is another matter....
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2007, 05:13 AM   #18
Lily

They had dragons bring in big blocks of ice to make underground freezing chambers too, didnt they?

we are proving my post up there ^ wrong!
Old Jun 30 2007, 05:24 PM   #19
Brenda

Quote:
now: Fish Rolls! We hear very little about them
I visualise the fish mushed up with bread crumbs and seasonings, formed into rolls and baked
What do you think?
I always just figured it was like a meatroll only with fish in it! At Half Circle Seahold that's what would be standard fare - meat would be a rare treat, I would think.
Old Jun 30 2007, 06:20 PM   #20
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

mind you there are many different types of fish and some taste very different so it wouldn't be that bad.
Old Jun 30 2007, 06:44 PM   #21
chrisfrostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle View Post
And I don't doubt that they would have fermentation as well. Although, whether they have surstromming is another matter....
Fermentation? For sure... Example Bendon Wine, The brewer's cot at bittra hold, so yes Yeast Bread using the "Golden Grain" that is mentioned...

We know they have sweet rolls (donuts)?

Smoked meats would just be a given.. I mean what do you do with a bird the size of an ostridge? (wherry) You cut it into strips and dry it by the fire...
and we know they have fire...
Old Jun 30 2007, 07:41 PM   #22
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Uh, yeah, chrisfrostic. *points to Le Cordon Bleu pin* See that? Means I know quite a bit about food. Without Googling or Wiki. (You're in Benzonia, of all places?)

Sweet rolls--I would assume generic term for anything from cinnamon rolls/sticky buns to fried dough treats, just as the filling of meat rolls is undoubtedly made from whatever's lying around and too small to use more efficintly elsewhere.

I would imagine the most popular candidate for air-curing and salt-curing would be fish at the sea holds. Something akin to salt cod, I'm sure, since that's easy to store and use. Where the land animals are concerned, I'm sure they're technologically advanced enough they have smokehouses and niches in the fireplaces and chimneys, without needing to resort to something as primitive as open-fire smoking.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2007, 10:37 PM   #23
chrisfrostic

Anareth, with all due respect... Something is wrong with google or wiki? Always helps to back up your ideas with some semblance of fact, though I realize that those are not authoritative sources... And what does Benzonia, have to do with it...? Didn’t see the pin, but now that you point it out... That really was an unexpected response... maybe a nerve exposed or something... my apologies...

It just seemed obvious that there would be fermentation, could not imagine it not, unless there was some biological component of the air that killed all the earth yeast and there was no analogous component...

Modern hamburger and sausage are not necessarily made from scraps, in fact many times we slaughter an animal just to make the sausage or hamburger as that is the desired outcome... especially if we are using it as a staple and need a lot of it... Sausage makers purchase pork shoulder by the ton just for that purpose... Being up here in the north country, the backwoods, the unsophisticated sticks, a lot of my friends take their whole venison that they take when they are out tromping in the woods, chawing on their tobacco, and toting a gun... to the butcher and have the whole thing made into venison burger. so, I agree that at least to start they would use scraps but eventually, and enterprising person would understand that meatrolls were a desired product that could get them good marks in exchange for their effort and use prime cuts as well as scraps and fat (not much fat on a wherry though) to make their meatrolls.

Some of my other unsophisticated, uneducated neighbors up here in Benzonia, MI... (Of course we know nothing of food or the proper way to make a Cordon Bleu...) take their prime cuts of venison, and cure it into jerky rather than making venison burger... Heck, some of my neighbors have an outhouse sized, (now that we have indoor plumbing...) shack that they run cold smoke through to make their venison jerky at home... Doesn't taste too bad either considering that they don't know nuthen about that fancy ham and Swiss food... And I would figure the inhabitants of Pern would be a lot smarter than the hicks that live around here... Heck, Jerky is so easy "even a caveman could do it"...

Chris
Old Jul 3 2007, 01:59 PM   #24
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfrostic View Post
Modern hamburger and sausage are not necessarily made from scraps, in fact many times we slaughter an animal just to make the sausage or hamburger as that is the desired outcome
LOL Sorry, Chris, but I had to chuckle at this. I know what you're talking about, and as a country man myself I appreciate well-raised and well-butchered meat. However, to many, many people the meat that is in burgers is that which comes out of McDonalds. I think we can assume that their meat is not anywhere near "prime" or "specific" (unless you count eyeholes, earholes and ***holes as specific!). It's meat only in the context that it was once part of an animal.

With regard to sausages, apart from buying high-quality sausage meat, the general ....... rubbish that gets put into sausages in this country (UK) doesn't particularly inspire nutritional confidence (that's after you take out the often over 50% filler content of bread or other mash).

Incidentally, back up to the person who mentioned somebody in the books grabbing several rounds of meat rolls. I took that to mean 'round' in the sense of "a serving to each of a group" (generally used here in the context of buying a load of drinks for a group - "my round/get the round in/another round").

I see meat rolls as being, as the other Brits have mentioned, like our sausage rolls. In that case they would be kind of cylindrical in shape. So perhaps round there too!
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3 2007, 02:18 PM   #25
chrisfrostic

You know, that does make sense... the rounds (several rounds.. like for the group) part... because I made some more the other day trying to make them round and they just were not as good... too much dough and not as easy or quick to make... I think I will keep making them the way I did when I did the pictures... cause I can turn out a bunch in a hurry and they stay together wlll when cold, and don't make a mess... and taste good too... which I think is the point when your trying to feed a crew...
Old Jul 3 2007, 03:10 PM   #26
Brenda

I don't remember where I first read the saying, "Sausage is where the butcher hides his mistakes..."

Basically all the scraps.
Old Jul 3 2007, 03:12 PM   #27
Hans
Master Archivist

So in bygone times they just essentuiially put the sh*t back in the gut, right?

Old Jul 3 2007, 10:17 PM   #28
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans... Yes indeedy my friend...that's what I was told too they just shove it right back in...after they chop it into tiny little pieces

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jul 4 2007, 04:50 AM   #29
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
So in bygone times they just essentuiially put the sh*t back in the gut, right?
Nice way with words, Hans! And not so bygone, either!

I don't know how prevalent the company Walls is in America, but in the UK they are well known for making sausages and ice cream. Which is an odd combination when you think about it. But Mr. Walls needed a product to use up all the icky rendered fat that was left over after his sausage production. And a lovely thick tasty ice cream was born .........

(Should I put "allegedly" in case of legal action? LOL)
Old Jul 23 2007, 11:22 PM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Gidget, OOOOOOOOOOOH YUCK , and I just ate ice cream for desert...!!!

Old Jul 24 2007, 08:03 AM   #31
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

LOL Sorry Lady M
Old Jul 24 2007, 08:58 AM   #32
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Lady M: 2 of the other commen ingredients of "ice cream" are fish oil and seaweed gum.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24 2007, 11:15 AM   #33
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

mmm... I always hated Walls icecream
Old Jul 24 2007, 11:21 AM   #34
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfrostic View Post
You know, that does make sense... the rounds (several rounds.. like for the group) part... because I made some more the other day trying to make them round and they just were not as good... too much dough and not as easy or quick to make... I think I will keep making them the way I did when I did the pictures... cause I can turn out a bunch in a hurry and they stay together wlll when cold, and don't make a mess... and taste good too... which I think is the point when your trying to feed a crew...
you do hear rounds of bread- just a slice I think
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24 2007, 02:00 PM   #35
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Okay, all this food talk. I am just going to have to have some lunch!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24 2007, 02:01 PM   #36
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

or rounds - just loads to pass round so loads of people can have them. I don't think it refers to shape. eg: a round of beers? etc..
so it could be small sausage roll things a couple of inches long?..
Old Jul 24 2007, 10:25 PM   #37
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Peter, well thank you very much...I think I will leave off of anymore ice cream for a while....YUCK, YUCK, YUCK ....!!!!

P.S. Do you ever wonder how the Genuis's came up with such a tasty treat, when they started out with such yucky food groups...

Old Jul 24 2007, 10:29 PM   #38
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

L'isa, how could you think of eating anything after hearing what's in the ice cream....my stomach is still turning

Old Jul 24 2007, 11:06 PM   #39
Sandi

It isn't in all of them. Being somewhat allergic to that seaweed gunk, I read the labels carefully. There's one called Breyers that has a line of ice cream made from milk and cream and sugar (imagine that!) and I think there are a couple of other brands as well.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25 2007, 08:14 AM   #40
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

And anyone in the UK or anywhere that sells Skinny Cow brand 'ice cream' is possibly the worst one inasmuch that it has pretty much no cream or ice and is virtually all cr@p!