A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Freedom

Old Mar 24 2007, 03:16 PM   #1
caro39
Darbul

Fan of: Freedom Series, Pern
Now Reading: Stephanie Plum series
Default I love the Freedom series, but...

Hi all, new to the forum, but anything but new to the Freedom books! I've read them many many times, and enjoyed them all immensely. Except for 4 that is, I didn't feel I needed another book after 3. My only problem with this series though is the prevalence of discrepencies - rock squats, fowl or mammal?, Coo and Pess - Rugarians one book, Deskis another, etc. I can allow for mistakes here and there, since there are just sooooo many characters/terms/etc, but there were just too many to ignore. Anyone else agree? I still love the books, and will continue to reread them, but I admit that every time I do those mistakes bug me more.
caro39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Mary

Default Re: I love the Freedom series, but...

Anne is not famed for her continunity or accuracy in terms of time lines etc between books of a series. Either they bug you a lot or you learn to love them as just one of Anne's things. I can't say I noticed any of those mistakes but I would probably only have read those books twice, maybe the 4th one only once.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2007, 05:20 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Some of us made it kind of a job to try to explain/reson the descripancies away (most of the time seriously, the rest in a funny way). Mary is right though... will you believe I never even noticed that many in the Freedom series (Pern being my forte).

And I agree with the fourth Freedom book, but I still treasure it because it is dedicated to me (Elrhan)!

Alright, alright, to me and maybe 50 other fans but still

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2007, 08:14 AM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Hmm, like Hans I haven't really noticed many discrepancies in the Freedom books, probably because I haven't reread them as many times as Pern.

I do really like the series, but also agree the fourth book was not necessary and as good an ending to the series as the third would have been.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28 2007, 05:06 PM   #5
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I liked the fourth book, although it's just about screaming for a fifth to conclude the series. I really want to see the Farmer homeworld.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote