A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern > Science of Pern

Science of Pern This forum is for Edith's Science of Pern project. Please keep each post to one subject, and stay on topic; off topic posts may be moved or deleted. Guests may post in this forum (subject to change).

Old Feb 14 2007, 01:45 PM   #41
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default Re: Science of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
when I have a few free weeks I'll model this on Mathcad- I sort of know how! Though I'll use Modified Euler rather than Runge-Kutta as it's less accurate but far quicker!
I did see where the ...lovers Guide to Pern had a diagram of the Red Star orbit.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2007, 03:27 PM   #42
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

By modelling it- and I'll have to get the dlg as a reference- I can get some more information- and my own pretty pictures!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17 2008, 05:18 AM   #43
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

might be raising a post from the dead, however, it was a point that Aivas did three explosive insertions on the red star. With Jaxom and Ruth's help he could and did put two engines when and where he wanted them. the last engine finished nudging the red star into a stable orbit. theoretically.

Edith, From what I recall, a Lagrange point is a point of zero net gravity. its formed by the gravitational pull of various bodies being equal in magnitude but opposite vector. I'm not even sure there would be any stable ones for Pern since it has a pair of moons with varying orbital speeds.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote