A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 10 2006, 12:53 AM   #1
Jax

Latent Talent

Fan of: DDawn 1st read, love all
Now Reading: MagicKingdom4salesold ArtemisF
Default Wow, check these out!

For those collectors, I know I can't afford these, but I was looking for a description of Theodore Edward Bear today and found this website, maybe some of you will find helpful perhaps?
http://www.raresf.com/bcat4.html

You'll have to scroll down until you get to Anne, but here's what they list of hers;

McCAFFREY, ANNE.
The Coelura San Francisco: Underwood-Miller Publishers. 1983 First edition. One of 250 copies, bound in dark green cloth with gold foil lettering stamped on the spine. ALL 250 copies SIGNED by the author, ANNE McCAFFREY, and by the artist, KEVIN EUGENE JOHNSON, on a tipped in page preceding the half-title page. Fine (our highest grade) in fine dust jacket and fine publisher's shrink-wrap.
$200.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
Damia's Children New York: G. P. Putnam. 1993 First edition, limited, signed, and numbered state. SIGNED by ANNE MCCAFFREY. Sequel to DAMIA. Volume three in the quadrilogy. Book is bound in dark purple cloth in matching dark purple cloth slipcase. Gilt lettering on spine of book. Book is fine (not issued in dust jacket) in fine slipcase and fine publisher's shrink-wrap.
$200.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
Dragonflight New York: Walker and Company. 1969 First hardcover edition. Fine in fine dust jacket.
$1,250.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
Dragonquest London: Rapp & Whiting / Andre Deutsch. 1973 First hardcover edition. SIGNED and inscribed: "To _____ [signed] Anne McCaffrey," on title page. Dust jacket was price-clipped by publisher and a new price label placed on front flap, this label then partially removed, light foxing to top edge of book otherwise fine (our highest grade) in fine dust jacket.
$1,500.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
The Girl Who Heard Dragons No place: Cheap Street. 1985 Hardbound uncorrected prooof for first edition. LIMITED TO ONLY 7 COPIES. SIGNED on title-page by author. Bound in brown cloth with paper label on front cover, no lettering on spine. Measures 6 1/4 x 11 5/8 inches. Label shows some rubbing otherwise fine (our highest grade). Not issued in dust jacket. Not listed in Hargreaves.
$1,200.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
Habit Is an Old Horse Seattle: Dryad Press. 1986 First edition, wrappers state. Only 342 copies of this state printed. Very near fine. This state not issued in dust jacket.
$350.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
Lyon's Pride New York: G.P. Putnam's and Sons. 1994 First Edition, limited state. Limited to 80 signed and numbered copies. Fine in slipcase. Not issued in dust jacket.
$200.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
Pegasus in Space New York: Ballantine Publishing Group. 2000 AUTHORIAL BINDING STATE, employing the sheets from the first American trade edition. Limited to ONLY 9 lettered and SIGNED copies. Following in the footsteps of authors like Lewis Carroll, Anne McCaffery is now doing a handful of copies of her books in authorial presentation binding. Pegasus in Space has had nine copies bound by Antiquarian Nookcrafts in Dublin in blue leather with gilt lettering and stamping on spine, five raised bands, front cover panels in gilt with top edge gilt, fine marbled endpapers, and lettered and signed limitation pages. Fine (this state not issued in dust jacket). Fine is our highest grade.
$1,500.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
Rescue Run Newark: The Wildside Press, 1991. First edition, SIGNED AND LETTERED STATE. Limited to only 26 signed and lettered copies, signed both by the author, Anne McCaffrey, and by the illustrator (black-and-white illustrations) Pat Morrissey. Bound in padded red cloth with attached red silk book mark. This is copy "N." (This state not issued in dust jacket.) Slightest touch of bumping to the top front corner of the spine otherwise fine. (Our highest grade is fine.)
$500.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
Ring of Fear London: Millington. 1979 hardcover. Very Near Fine/Very Near Fine. First hardcover edition. Dust jacket illustration by Paul Redway and Leonie Finlay. Murder mystery and romance among the breeders and trainers of show horses. Traces of white rubbing to edges of dust jacket otherwise fine in fine dust jacket. (Fine is our highest grade.) Dust jacket in clear archival-quality jacket protector.
$350.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
The Skies of Pern New York: Ballantine Publishing Group. 2001 AUTORIAL BINDING STATE, employing the sheets from the first American trade edition. Limited to ONLY 20 NUMBERED AND SIGNED copies. Following in the footsteps of authors like Lewis Carroll, Anne McCaffrey is now doing a handful of copies of her books in authorial presentation binding. THE SKIES OF PERN has had twenty copies bound by Antiquarian Nookcrafts in Dublin in blue leather with black leather lettering plates on spine, with gilt lettering and stamping on spine, five raised bands on spine, front cover has Celtic dragon designs stamped in gilt, all edges gilt, fine marbled endpapers, and numbered and bound in signed and numbered limitation page. Fine (our highest grade). This state not issued in dust jacket.
$1,500.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
The Smallest Dragon Boy Kilquade: Dragonhold Limited. 1982 Glossy Pictorial Wrappers. Very Near Fine/Not Issued in Dust Jacket. First separate edition, limited, signed, and numbered. Limited to only 200 copies, published by Anne McCaffrey herself. Wrappers, 12 pages. Two tiny mars to upper portion of front cover otherwise fine (our highest grade) in fine portfolio. Not issued in dust jacket.
$300.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE.
The Year of the Lucy San Francisco: Brandywyne. 1986. Brandywyne is a sister press of Underwood-Miller. First edition, PRESENTATION BINDING STATE. Hargreaves says of this presentation state, "18 copies, unsigned. Bound in full green leatherette cloth (simulated leather) with silver lettering stamped on the spine. Bound at the author's request for special copies to give to friends. Issued without a dust jacket. Issued in a gray seude-cloth covered slipcase." Gray slipcase has a line of rubbing on one board otherwise fine (our highest grade) in fine slipcase. Unread.
$950.00
McCAFFREY, ANNE (Editor).
Cooking Out of This World Newark: Wildside Press, 1992. First hardcover edition, leatherbound, signed and lettered. This SIGNED and LETTERED STATE IS SIGNED by ANNE MCCAFFREY and limited to ONLY 26 leatherbound copies. Bound in dark brown leather with gilt lettering on the spine and gilt lettering and drawing on the front cover. This is copy "P." This state not issued in dust jacket. Fine (our highest grade).
$500.00
(McCAFFREY, ANNE.)
Theodore Edward Bear (or "Ted E. Bear" for short) Riverdale: Baen Books. 1992 Blue Plush Bear, Fine. First and Only Edition of Publicity Teddy Bear. One of a very small number of blue plush teddy bears made by Baen Books to promote the sale of Anne McCaffrey and Mercedes Lackey's book, THE SHIP WHO SEARCHED. The bear first appears as a character in the story on page 19 of the book and is last seen in the arms of the book's heroine on the last page. His portrait is on the back cover of the dust jacket for the first hardcover edition. The bear is 17 1/2 inches tall. He is dressed in a red long-sleeved t-shirt with the circle-and-lightning bolt logo of the "Courier Service" on its front and "THE SHIP WHO SEARCHED" on its back. A tag on the bear's side reads, "H R Baen Books." Bear is fine. Fewer than 20 of these bears were done, perhaps only five or so. Fine is our highest grade. [The hardcover book featured in the photograph with the plush bear is not available.]
$425.00

Let's see if the pic works...

The most interesting one for me there is the Theodore Edward Bear - cheap compared with the last one I saw, which I think was over $1000. They say there that perhaps only 5 were made, but I am not sure I believe that myself, I think there must have been more than that to have seen them at all for sale online anywhere...
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10 2006, 01:07 AM   #2
SuzyQ
Ssli

Fan of: Talents
Now Reading: Need more time!
Default Re: Wow, check these out!

I guess now would be a great time to win the Lottery!
Great find! I would love to have those books!
SuzyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10 2006, 01:18 AM   #3
Jax

Latent Talent

And for my own personal satisfaction, I found what I was looking for...
"Tia studied Ted carefully. Moira was right; he was a sober little bear, with a very studious expression, as if he was listening very hard to whatever was being said. His bright blue coloration in no way contradicted the seriousness of his face, nor did the frivolous little red shirt he was wearing with the blue and yellow Courier Service circle-and-lightning-bolt on the front."
Not too bad, looking at the picture there...
Old Jun 10 2006, 02:18 AM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Jax, you are a "GENIUS GIRL" , I am loving this. To finally get to

see one of these, is a pure joy, as the ship books are my

favorite stories. He is just as he is suppose to look. THANK YOU SO

MUCH for the pictures, and finding this. I might not be able to afford

it, but at least now I have a lovely picture of it to hang on the

wall.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10 2006, 02:44 AM   #5
Jax

Latent Talent

I've saved the picture to my computer as well
Old Jun 10 2006, 02:52 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

This bookseller is where I found out about the Pegasus in Space Easton press. They list thru ABE so it's easy to keep an eye on things.
Old Jun 10 2006, 09:49 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Sorry Jax I think Cheryl and/or I found these quite a while ago. Cheryl is already trying months to get her hubby to buy Ted E. Bear

Remember we talked about this months ago? About how many were Teds were actually made? Still no definite answer to that question

But... always nice to see him!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10 2006, 11:57 AM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Jax, I am so glad to see that you also finally got your book, I love it.....I hope that you will too

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jun 10 2006, 12:26 PM   #9
Jax

Latent Talent

I only remember Hans because I searched it this morning Sorry for posting something you already know about, but I hadn't seen any of them mentioned here so thought I'd post them up.

Maelin, I wasn't looking for a book, just a description of Theodore, which I found, and then I was able to do this picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../Theodore1.jpg
Kept me entertained for a while this afternoon

I own almost at least one of every book of Anne's. I've not gone half so far as people like You, Cher, Hans or Becky, and I doubt I ever will! Unfortunately, there's often something better to spend my money on than something I already own one of, though I do have a few nice pieces, like a 1st edition or two, a few signed to me, things like that
Old Jun 10 2006, 03:03 PM   #10
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Awww, so cute Jax! Cuter than the 'real' Ted E Bear, whom I am still hoping to get someday if I can convice my hubby to let me spend so much!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10 2006, 03:38 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Not so cynical Jax, doesn't suit you. Post away m'girl, post away

You don't need to be sorry silly. In fact I thought it was YOU who posted about this very same topic first, the teddy especially, and us who reacted (including Cheryl who subsequently told us about trying to lure hubby into the ritual of opening the wallet wide).
So I was just confused when I thought you acted as if you were posting something new? Does this come with being a sievehead or were you just pulling my leg?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 10 2006, 03:41 PM   #12
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Sievehead, definitely

And if she tries to say it was pulling your leg, she's pulling your leg about pulling your leg. Got it?
Old Jun 10 2006, 08:02 PM   #13
Becky
Coelura

Jax, I love your version of Ted!!! I also like the one on the dust jacket. I'm not so thrilled with the real one, but would LOVE to have him, don't get me wrong!
I just re-read the ad for Ted and they've changed it. It used to read that if you purchased him the price would go to Anne's favorite charity, (didn't name the charity tho) and I now see that that's been removed. They've had this bear or several of them for many years. I found this when researching collectibles for the Guide.
Old Jun 10 2006, 10:04 PM   #14
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I like Jax's bear better than the real one....

Hm. Wonder if a creative person could find (or dye) some product of Build-a-Bear and build their own Ted....
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10 2006, 10:34 PM   #15
Jax

Latent Talent

Yes I posted about the Ted E Bear, I vaguely remember but only after I posted this thread, but I posted the thread since there were so many collectibles listed and thought you guys might like to see them
(So yeah, it was more the sievehead side of things )

Thanks for the compliments on my Theodore I fixed his eye up in this version http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../Theodore2.jpg
Am going to submit him for the art competition going over at KT

Is there a picture somewhere of the one on the dust jacket? I can't remember seeing it (though I'm sure I will once I see it ) but I don't have any of my books here anyways
Old Jun 11 2006, 12:01 AM   #16
Becky
Coelura

This is from the US book club edition.......

Good luck with the contest! I love your Ted! He's got that serious expression that is much needed. or should that be more a ?

(sorry he's a bit blurry, but my camera doesn't take good closeups and I was trying to avoid the flash reflection.)
Old Jun 11 2006, 11:22 AM   #17
Jax

Latent Talent

Thanks Becky!!
Old Jun 11 2006, 02:22 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW!! Jax I love the little cute Theodore E. Bear, that you did, it is very close to the real one that they are selling. Someday I might just make one of these for my self out of Crochet. It should do great in the contest !!!

Last edited by Lady Maelin; Jun 12 2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old Jun 12 2006, 11:16 AM   #19
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

I like Jax's the best I haven't read the books yet, but hers seems to be the most accurate representation of the description, while still staying all cute
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12 2006, 12:02 PM   #20
Jax

Latent Talent

G'wan with yas!!
Old Jun 12 2006, 04:18 PM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Jax, I did a search and when you asked if anybody knew how many of the bears were actually made I posted that I owned a/the promotional poster for The ship Who Searched that came with the display but I also thought I posted pics with it. I just discovered I did not...

Here's the poster folded (it's folder twice):

And opened once with the information about the book stand and the data I posted in the original Ted Enquiry thread [http://forums.srellim.org/showpost.p...1&postcount=2]

The full poster, not easy to photograph because of the gloss and the gold...:

And Ted in detail:

And if any of you have (grandkids) that like jigsaw puzzles (or if you like them yourself ) I'll gladly send you the original and larger version of the scan I did of Ted, to which I later added a jigsaw effect with photoshop:

Drat, I could have made a Collecting Highlight out of this
Hmpff... for you collectors: I never saw this for sale (but also never really searched for it), found it in a Dutch second hand books and collectibles shop (online) and I paid something near $ 6,50 for it.

Old Jun 12 2006, 11:54 PM   #22
Becky
Coelura

Hans, that's so funny! Ya done a good job and it woulda made a super collector highlight!
I've never heard of this and it's a fabulous collectible. (Oh, I thought about a highlight myself after I posted the SFX magazine cartoon of Anne.)
Old Jun 13 2006, 11:49 AM   #23
Jax

Latent Talent

Is there no chance of making it a highlight at some point?

I do have a vague recollection of you posting that info last time :angel: - vague, mind you

I think if I were going to collect something expensive, Ted might be it...
Old Jun 13 2006, 11:59 AM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, I would love to have one of the "JIG SAW PUZZLE" , that looks so cool . But I would never let the girls near it, not unless I made two of them .....................

P.S. you should do a "Highlight" of this anyways, put it all together like you always do, and then re-issue it. I would love to have you do it that way.......I collect all of the "HIGHLIGHT's" !!!

Old Jun 13 2006, 03:11 PM   #25
Hans
Master Archivist

Maelin, it is a picture with a jigsaw effect. To have a real jigsaw you would have to print it, glue it to cardboard or something and cut the pieces out.

But I'll send you the picture file anyway

Old Jun 14 2006, 11:44 AM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank You Hans, I might just frame it as it is , but I like the idea of the puzzle so, when I make my copy of it I might just make a jigsaw puzzle out of it also.

Old Jun 13 2008, 02:09 AM   #27
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Re: Wow, check these out!

I Just like to say good: Its is one I I loved.
With help of some good people Tia did not let her problem stop her.
My only question to that is did they find AH1066 E'kay homeworld or not?
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by Hans; Jun 13 2008 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote with all the pictures
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2008, 09:05 PM   #28
Solitary
Jewel Junk

Fan of: Anything with Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
For those collectors, I know I can't afford these, but I was looking for a description of Theodore Edward Bear today and found this website, maybe some of you will find helpful perhaps?
http://www.raresf.com/bcat4.html

[SIZE=2]McCAFFREY, ANNE.
The Coelura San Francisco: Underwood-Miller Publishers. 1983 First edition. One of 250 copies, bound in dark green cloth with gold foil lettering stamped on the spine. ALL 250 copies SIGNED by the author, ANNE McCAFFREY, and by the artist, KEVIN EUGENE JOHNSON, on a tipped in page preceding the half-title page. Fine (our highest grade) in fine dust jacket and fine publisher's shrink-wrap.
$200.00
Oh my......................I have one of these copies I had to run upstairs to the bookshelf and physically touch it and yep.......dark green cloth, gold foil lettering stamped on the spine, dust jacket in shrink wrap, and.............signed by both Anne McCaffrey and Kevin Eugene Johnson !

Thank you Jax for posting this!!!!!!
Solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2008, 12:49 AM   #29
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OH WOW Solitary....that is fantastic, what a prize for your collection....PICTURES PLEASE !!! I don't know how many of us have or will ever get to see one of these.

Old Jun 25 2008, 03:20 AM   #30
Hans
Master Archivist

Not really Off Topic but... when I recently visited Barry's site I noticed that Theodore E. Dear isn't listed anymore...

So... that must mean he's sold... I wonder where he is now? Has any member here something to confess? Cheryl? Becky? JJ?

Old Jun 25 2008, 07:00 AM   #31
Solitary
Jewel Junk

Fan of: Anything with Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
OH WOW Solitary....that is fantastic, what a prize for your collection....PICTURES PLEASE !!! I don't know how many of us have or will ever get to see one of these.
Ok........I will

I looked back at my old records and I paid $50.00 8 years ago but I don't remember where I got it................but I'm very happy I didn't pass it up
Solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2008, 10:45 AM   #32
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Not really Off Topic but... when I recently visited Barry's site I noticed that Theodore E. Dear isn't listed anymore...

So... that must mean he's sold... I wonder where he is now? Has any member here something to confess? Cheryl? Becky? JJ?
Nope, not me but I sure wish it was!!!
Old Jun 25 2008, 10:58 AM   #33
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Can you explain to a clueless person, Hans, what Theodore E. Dear is?!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2008, 11:25 AM   #34
Hans
Master Archivist

Scroll up a little, Cilla. You'll see picture of a blue Teddybear that was made for promotional purposes when the book The Ship Who Searched was published. It is Tia's bear Ted. E. Bear from the actual story.

It was for sale at Barry Levin's collectible SF book and memorabilia shop for $450 but it isn't listed anymore which should mean it is sold!

There were several of us who would dearly have given Ted a new home and only the price kept us at bay...

Old Jun 25 2008, 11:44 AM   #35
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Someone else bought Ted E? *sniff* WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

If anyone needs me, I'll be sulking offline.
Old Jun 26 2008, 09:30 AM   #36
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Cheryl Dear: that's what your Boudoir is for (since 'boud' is the French for 'sulk')

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote