A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Feb 5 2006, 07:36 PM   #1
Brenda

Default News from the Weyr (Pern Fanfiction)

This is another scene never described in Dragonsong. What happened when Elgion got back from the Hatching?

~ ~ ~

The blue dragon emerged from between above Half Circle Seahold, circling once before landing. Journeyman Harper Elgion was glad of the extra time; his head was still whirling with the extraordinary events he had witnessed that day.

The dragon landed not far from the main doors of the seahold with a jolt that rattled Elgion’s teeth. The dragonrider turned around, grinning in apology. “Sorry about that, Harper! Wirth says he’s sorry, too; he didn’t think the downdraft would be so strong!”

Elgion shook his head experimentally to make sure it had stopped rattling. “No harm done,” he said, smiling. He unhooked the straps from his belt and the rider gave him a hand down. “I thank you for the ride, Dragonrider…”

“M’garon,” the rider supplied.

“Thank you for the ride, M’garon. I’m sure Seaholder Yanus will be happy to offer you hospitality…”

“Give him my thanks, but I must get back to the Weyr. I have two more trips to make, and I don’t wish to antagonize anyone by being late. Good evening to you!”

“Good evening, then.”

Elgion backed up a few paces and watched the dragon leap into the air. Sighing in amazement as the pair vanished in the twilight sky, Elgion turned toward the door. He started at the figure sillhouetted in the doorway, then relaxed as he recognized Alemi. The Seaholder’s oldest son was leaning on his crutch, his right leg still encased in a large splint.

“Welcome back, Harper!” Alemi greeted him. “Yanus had to oversee an emergency repair on our biggest trawler, or he would have met you himself.” He made a small grimace, acknowledging the importance of the repairs, then asked eagerly, “So what was the hatching like?”

Elgion walked slowly to keep pace with Alemi. “The hatching… it was incredible. A lot of things happened. I’ll have to inform Yanus…” He hesitated. Menolly had implored him not to tell anyone where she was, but it didn’t feel right to let her family go on thinking she was dead. “Alemi, listen. I found Menolly – ” Alemi gasped and nearly overbalanced, grabbing Elgion’s arm.

“What! Is she alright? Where is she?”

“She was at the Weyr. They rescued her from Threadfall, the same as me – in fact, I saw them bring her in but I didn’t recognize her from across the cavern. She had been living in that cave by the Dragon Stones.”

Alemi leaned on the wall and exhaled heavily. “I’m so glad she’s all right. I was worried about her… does that mean she was playing pipes that day? I thought her hand had been injured too badly.”

“It was scarred but she didn’t seem to be having any trouble with it. Listen, Alemi, she impressed fire lizards!”

“She did? Really?” Alemi’s eyes sparkled at the thought. “More than one, you said?”

“Oh, yes, she impressed a whole fair! Eight or nine of them, all chittering at her… I don’t know how she managed to feed them all – ”

“Nine!” Alemi broke in, aghast. “How on earth – Elgion, what’s going to happen to her now? Is she staying at Benden Weyr?”

“That’s what I wanted to tell you. Masterharper Robinton met her while he was there – he’s been trying to find whoever wrote those songs Petiron sent him. I told him it was Menolly, and he’s taking her to live at the Harper Hall!”

“The Harper Hall? Really? That’s wonderful! But how… what will she do? I know she loves music, but she can’t be a harper, can she?”

“I got the impression that Master Robinton wants to make her one. Don’t worry, Alemi, he has no intention of letting her talent go to waste. I heard those songs she wrote; he’ll take all she can write. Alemi, I really think I should tell your parents she is alive.”

Alemi’s face darkened, remembering how they had treated her, but relented. “I suppose you must. Tell Mavi first; she really was worried when Menolly disappeared. Yanus won’t appreciate being interrupted just for that.”

They made their way into the dining cavern, where the tables were being cleared. One of Alemi’s sisters came over, smiling at Elgion. “Good evening, Harper Elgion,” she said demurely.

“Sella,” Alemi said, “Where’s Mavi?”

“She’s in the kitchen. Do you need anything?”

“Would you ask her to come and see me?” Elgion answered her. “I have some good news for her.”

“Just a moment then, Harper,” and with another smile she turned and swept away. Elgion and Alemi began making their way toward the hearth. Alemi settled in one of the large chairs by the fire and rested his leg on a padded stool. Elgion seated himself on a bench as Mavi emerged from the kitchen cavern.

“What is it, Harper? Sella said you had news for me from the Weyr.” Mavi was obviously perplexed as to who at Benden Weyr would have a message for her.
Elgion took a deep breath. “Mavi, your daughter Menolly is alive.”

Mavi caught her breath and sank down onto the other bench, staring at him. “She is – but how…”

“She was living on her own, in a cave down by the Dragon Stones. She was caught out in Threadfall – ” Mavi gasped, and he hastened to reassure her. “She was rescued by a dragon. Just like I was. She’s been at Benden Weyr for nearly a sevenday.”

Mavi gave a sigh of relief, her voice catching. “I never knew what to do with that child… she was so unmanageable… but when I thought she – ” Her eyes filled with tears. “I am glad she’s all right. What’s to become of her now? She didn’t come back with you…” She glanced around the cavern to make sure of that.

“She’s to go to the Harper Hall. Master Robinton was glad to find the person who wrote such lovely tunes.” Mavi’s eyes widened at this news, but she said nothing. Elgion continued, “I must go tell Seaholder Yanus the news from the Hatching, and the news about Menolly. Would you accompany me?”

She shook her head. “He’ll take it better from you. He hated that she would defy him, but he’ll hold his temper in front of you.” She sighed. “I suppose it’s better that she not come back here… the Harper Hall!” She shook her head in disbelief. “I must get back to the kitchen. Would you like some klah before you go?”

Elgion shook his head. “I’d best not wait to tell him. He’s over in the docking cavern?”

“He just got back a few minutes ago. He’s in his office.”

“All right, then.” Elgion stood up and strode out of the dining cavern. He was more nervous than he liked to admit about this last confrontation; Yanus was still somewhat of a mystery. He was always polite to the Harper, but things were always done his way: the way they had always been done. He was not generally open to new ideas; he would have dismissed T’gellan’s announcement about the fire lizard eggs as nonsense had it not come from a dragonrider, and he was certainly not allowing any idle time to search for nests. More important, he had been quick to dismiss any worries about Menolly when she had gone missing. Elgion had been surprised at the Seaholder's lack of concern for his own daughter. Would he even react to the news that she was alive?

He came to a stop outside Yanus’ door, took a breath to compose himself, and knocked. “Enter!”

He stepped inside. Yanus was seated at a small table, tinkering with some kind of ship’s instrument. He looked up and while he did not quite smile, his expression lightened. “Harper! What news from the Weyr?”

Elgion seated himself and said gravely, “I have a great deal of news for you. I will tell you about the Hatching and the discussions afterward, but I have something else to tell you first.”

Yanus looked at him warily. “What is it?”

“Your daughter, Menolly, is alive.”

Yanus sat straight up. Several emotions flashed across his face, but his expression remained set. He said nothing.

“She was living in a cave out by the Dragon Stones. A Benden rider rescued her from Threadfall not long ago. She has been staying at Benden Weyr, but Masterharper Robinton is taking her to the Harper Hall.”

“The Harper Hall!” Yanus burst out, then managed to control himself. “The Masterharper?”

“Yes. Masterharper Robinton has been looking for the person who wrote those songs I found, but he was looking for a fosterling.” Elgion looked pointedly at Yanus. “He found out she was at the Weyr and took her back with him. He intends to make good use of her talent.”

“Talent – ” Yanus exploded.

“Yes, talent. Writing songs may not be useful in a seahold, but it is greatly desired by the Harper Hall.”

Yanus was staring at Elgion in disbelief, but made an obvious effort to calm himself. “Very well,” he said coldly. She is alive. Now, what other news have you? I have a boat to repair.”

Last edited by Brenda; Aug 27 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2006, 09:02 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: News from the Weyr (Fiction)

I think I've read this before -- at the KT back in the day? It felt very familiar.

Anyhow, I really like it, it reads true to the characters to me -- I don't ever find myself thinking someone wouldn't say that, or say it that way.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2006, 08:57 AM   #3
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I'm not so sure-its a good story but I got the v strong impression last time I read Dsong that MAVI was the main source of Menolly's discomfort- Yanus was merely unsure what to do about it and made some stupid mistakes. I always felt that although he'd be annoyed that she ran away, he'd be glad that she was somebody else's problem!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2006, 06:40 PM   #4
Brenda

Well, I always thought that Mavi was hard on Menolly but cared enough to mourn her when she was thought dead; it says in DSo that Menolly would have been surprised at Mavi's concern when she was feverish and her wound infected. (I prefer to believe that Mavi honestly did all she could for the wound, and didn't realize the hand could be saved.) Mavi never could understand Menolly, but she loved her in her own way. I don't think Yanus ever did.

And yes, it was posted at the OKT - it's also at the NKT and at PerneseFriends.
Old Feb 13 2006, 05:36 AM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

but it was Mavi and Sella that spread all the tales!
the deliberate lie about the hand though- about it not being any use-that was mavi and it was malicious!
Old Feb 13 2006, 07:30 AM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I think that's up for debate Edith. There isn't any narration from Mavi's point of view, so we really don't know for sure if it was beyond her skill level to heal or not. Given how Mavi cared for Menolly when the hand was infected, I take the interpretation that she did the best she could and really did care for Menolly, but she was as much a traditionalist as Yanus and didn't understand her musical talent or desire to do anything beyond being a wife and mother.

Yanus on the other hand seems the time to have been truly outraged at Menolly's defiance in running away and would have been unable to wrap his head around the "justice" in Menolly joining the Harper Hall. It was completely contrary to his world view and best not thought about. IMHO
Old Feb 13 2006, 06:10 PM   #7
Brenda

As much as I love Menolly, I think that she was too ready to believe that Mavi would deliberately sabotage her hand - especially since we see how worried Mavi is about the injury.

Quote:
but it was Mavi and Sella that spread all the tales!
What tales? The only tale I remember is the one that Yanus insisted on, that the children had been taught by a fosterling who had since returned home. Unless you refer to Sella tattling to Mavi when Menolly was tuning in the schoolroom (I think that's what it was...)
Old Feb 14 2006, 05:11 AM   #8
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

there's that- and Sella is all too happy to tell tales- she only worries that Menolly has gone because she wants her to look after Old Uncle!
Old Feb 14 2006, 03:53 PM   #9
Brenda

Well, we knew Sella was spiteful - but you said Mavi also spread tales. Please explain this or withdraw the accusation!
Old Feb 14 2006, 04:36 PM   #10
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

sorry- I shouldn't've said MAVI told tales- she just didn't understand- but I mean it about Yanus. This is from dragonsong chapter 1, pg 30 in my copy UK corgi.
Quote:
"Yanus had many strong reservations about putting such a heavy responsibility on the shoulders of a girl not fifteen Turns old. Not the least of these was Menolly's distressing tendency toward tune-making. Well enough and amusing now and again in the long winter evenings to hear her sing them, but old Petiron had been alive to keep her to rights. Yanus wasn't sure that he could trust her not to include her trivial little whistles in the lessons."
Yanus has alot of responsibility- he needs the children in his care to have the proper education, and as such is very wary, wouldn't you? If your reputation and that of your seahold was at stake if it got out that not only was a GIRL-and a young girl at that-teaching- but that she had messed up!

heres another bit in chapter 6 p133 in my book.
Quote:
"...and a keen annoyance and anxiety about the girl."
Its another shipmaster that says when she doesn't return that it's not worth looking, and if you read on he doesn't abandon her-he orders people to keep a look out.

Its MAVI that stops her teaching others to play drums, Mavi who keeps her out of the way when Elgion arrives and Mavi who stops her singing!

AND if you look on this thread http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=1339

theres a quote from dolphins of Pern about Yanus and Mavi.

I like the story-its just the last few lines don't ring right to me!
Old Feb 15 2006, 06:56 PM   #11
Brenda

Quote:
Its MAVI that stops her teaching others to play drums, Mavi who keeps her out of the way when Elgion arrives and Mavi who stops her singing!
And Mavi does all that because she knows if Yanus finds out about all that, he will beat Menolly, and while Mavi does NOT understand her daughter in the least she doesn't want her beaten!
Old Feb 16 2006, 04:55 AM   #12
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Yanus never said that she couldn't show anyone!
she was only told not to start tuning!
stopping her singing in a crowd...
that was unfair though- people wouldn't've noticed-but I suppose that did backfire-as people noticed that she WASN'T singing!
Old Feb 16 2006, 03:00 PM   #13
Brenda

If Menolly did anything to bring her talent to the attention of the new Harper, Yanus would have been furious. Mavi caused emotional injuries, yes, but she was trying to prevent physical ones!
Old Feb 16 2006, 03:27 PM   #14
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

But Menolly does seem to find the emotional punnishments harder than the physical- yes Yanus would have beaten her, but that would have been that.
What I'm trying to get at is that the cold uncaring way you depict Yanus at the end of your story is UNNATURAL!
What parent would brush aside their daughter's being found safe like that? and Yanus was not uncaring- thats what I've been trying to point out- he does what he thinks is in her best interests! Even beating her! The quotes I posted before show that!
I LIKE your story- and I don't want to get into an arguement but you seem to rubbish every point I post- without seeming to get my point!
I'm not trying to criminalise Mavi you've got her nearly right, but you don't seem to understand Yanus' point of view.
When I read Dsong for the discussions-where I remember this first cropped up I chucked all I knew from later on, and all the opinions I had already built up out of the window- and it surprised me!
Menolly was not a complete heroine-she made alot of mistakes
Mavi and Yanus are to be sure not model parents BUT neither are they complete villians
and Sella, to be honest is like my little sister!
Alemi's the most sensible and likeable of the lot.
I know that you'll take offense at this probably-and I don't mean to offend anyone, but have a go at reading it as if it's a new book-and you'll be surprised-its like discovering a new world again!

Sorry if I seem to be having a go at you! I'm just trying to explain!
sorry-if you are offended at anything.
edi
Old Feb 17 2006, 07:26 AM   #15
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I think it's a case of needing to agree to disagree Edith. There are different ways to read the characters, as you found your own opinion of Yanus changed with a later reading. Neither way is right or wrong, it's just a different way of looking at what Anne wrote.

I still think Yanus seemed pretty uncaring. I also think he was the stoic type who would keep thoughts and emotions to himself, so that whatever he thought about the news of Menolly he would surely keep to himself and not share with the Harper. If he shows any joy in her being found, he also has to admit he was wrong to cut the search for her short in favor of fishing; he also has to process the fact that her running away was an act of defiance and not a mistake as originally thought, and that she was actually accepted at the Harper Hall which goes against his understanding of the profession. That's a lot for him to think about, and he undoubtedly will spend time pondering it, but to me it fits for him to clamp down on his reaction rather than letting Elgion see it.
Old Feb 17 2006, 01:31 PM   #16
Brenda

I have to admit that I don't see Yanus caring for Menolly at all. If anything, he cares how her behavior reflects on him. I literally don't find a spot in the book where it appears that he cares about her at all.
Old Feb 17 2006, 02:31 PM   #17
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I posted it a few posts back!
there's not much written, most of the book tends towards Menolly's pov-its her story not Yanus's, so you only see a little of his thoughts!
Old Sep 1 2014, 05:41 PM   #18
Eriflor

Of course, now that we have Dolphins of Pern, the notion of Yanis and Mavi not caring about Menolly or believing in her musical talent is reinforced. Supposedly they don't even talk about her, other than as an ungrateful wretch. Maybe they were offended that she wrote to Alemi from the Harper Hall but not to them.

ISTR that in Dragonsong, when Menolly's hand got infected, Mavi released the stitches to help the wound drain, which may be why it eventually healed well enough for her to play again. I think Mavi just told her the wound had caused permanent damage, and hoped she'd never get her hands on a guitar again and prove her wrong.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2 2014, 10:34 PM   #19
Brenda

That section in Dragonsong is from Mavi's POV, while Menolly is unconscious from fever. Menolly later is surprised to learn that the cut missed the tendon, and assumes that Mavi allowed it to heal wrong on purpose. We know from Mavi's own reflections that she did all that she knew to do, and regretted that the hand would remain damaged.

I can certainly see Mavi not risking Yanus' anger by attempting to contact Menolly. It's probably like I showed in the story - relief and gratitude that her daughter is safe, and guilty relief that she's now someone else's problem - and surprise that not everyone sees her as a problem.