A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Dec 20 2004, 01:47 PM   #121
PsyDtoBe

Default Re: Getting to know you...

Hi, my name is V. Meredith Toenjes, and I'm underpaid...oh ummmm...

I am PsyDtoBe. A PsyD is a doctorate in clinical psychology. This is my educational goal. Should I actually manage this, I'll need a new login name, email address, AIM name, license plate...
However, that'll be little to do to finally be done with school. This, however, won't be any time soon since it's about 2 1/2-3 years from now just for my master's. I live in Kansas City, Kansas, USA, I hate this whole part of the country. I'm becoming less and less fond of this entire country every week. I have a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and I am 2 classes shy of completing a second major in history, with an emphasis in American history. I just finished my 3rd semester of grad school.

I have 1 full-time and 3 part-time jobs. In order: an Independent Living program for teenagers, a domestic violence shelter, an Adult Detoxification Unit, an Adolescent substance abuse treatment center.

I share my life with my spouse, Jodi who recently got a promotion to Shift Supervisor at a juvenile detention center. We have 3 cats who have all been ized. Their pictures are on the ClanFiend MSN site. Jodi and I have been together for 6 1/2 years. Our extended family includes her parents, 2 younger brothers, their wives, my mother and many good friends. I'm 35, Jodi will be 30 in February. I'm planning a suprise party for her It's gonna have a Logan's Run theme.
It's hokey, but it oughta be fun.

We need more time together, fewer bills and a vacation, but otherwise, we're pretty happy together.

I enjoy reading, writing, video games, motorcycles, professional American football, women't tennis, movies, cooking for/with other, RPG's, spending time with friends, singing, playing guitar. Music in many forms (pretty much anything but opera and gangsta rap).

I was on the KTBB for 2 years this month, introduced to it when Jodi bought me A Gift of Dragons on ebook for xmas. I first read AM when I was 18. I had joined the sci-fi book club a couple of years earlier and had gotten The Dragonriders of Pern and The Harper Hall of Pern as 'extra gifts' for joining. I've read all but the last couple of Pern books, I started to read All the Weyrs of Pern and realised it'd been so long that I didn't remember a lot, so I re-read those two book club editions and am planning to work my way through. I've read the Talent series through Lyon's Pride and that's it.

And, that's a bit about me...

Peace, Meredith Psy
Old Dec 20 2004, 03:13 PM   #122
sassie
Inactive

Location: Bristol U.K. but normally in which book i'm reading at the time
Default Re: Welcome to the Meet and Greet Center!

Am I glad I've finally found you guys! I've been on a couple of other sites but got alittle annoyed with some of the nit picking that seemed to be the main mode of provoking a reply, so its nice to be'home' at last. I will be in the chat room soon so I'll see you there. Any one got views or comment on the Lord of the Rings films now that the extend dvd of the last film is released? I'd be interest in constructive comments!
sassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2004, 03:54 PM   #123
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Hi sassie!

Take a look in the Getting to know you thread, no doubt you'll find plenty of people willing to discuss LotR with you...
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2004, 04:04 PM   #124
sassie
Inactive

Thanks for the greeting and direction Granath
I will posting as soon as I figured out to way to use the forums.....you have been warned!!!!
Old Dec 20 2004, 04:21 PM   #125
palmedfire
Inactive

'lo all, Name's palmedfire. Was plamed_fire on KTBB (what can I say, I'm not too creative). I'm 22, graduated as a theatre major from Sweet Briar College, a small all-womens liberal arts college in BFN Vriginia. Now I live in northern Virginia working at a company that has nothing at all to do with theatre. But it pays and pays well.
I live with my girlfriend who's a Latin teacher in the local school system (please people, major in languages in college and come become teachers in Virginia!). Together we've got a mouse names Neville, a dwarf hamster named Phillionel and a giant hamster named Ultra Pipi. Cool points to whoever tells me where that name came from.

I got into Pern in sixth grade when the stupid lady at the school booksale told me I couldn't buy _Dragonflight_ because it was on the High School reading list and so only 8th graders could buy it. So I got mom to buy it for me and tore through the whole series. Honestly not as big a fan of the books any more. I'm one of those nitpickers some fans hate so much, but I like my worlds to _work_. Sorry.

I play in pern fandom at Kadanzer, Odyssey and North Ranges if that means anything to anyone.

I also cosplay (dressing up as/ doing skits as anime characters) on the Southeast anime convention circut, so if anyone's heard of the Dark Muffins/ is going to Katsucon, let me know.
palmedfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2004, 05:00 PM   #126
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

Hiya PalmedFire and welcome, welcome, welcome!

Glad to have you hear with us. May I ask, was Neville named after the legendary NSW premier, 'Nifty Nev' Neville Wran? And was Ultra Pipi named after Pippi Longstocking?
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2004, 05:21 PM   #127
palmedfire
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghyle
Hiya PalmedFire and welcome, welcome, welcome!

Glad to have you hear with us. May I ask, was Neville named after the legendary NSW premier, 'Nifty Nev' Neville Wran? And was Ultra Pipi named after Pippi Longstocking?
Wrong to both sadly. I'm not sure _exactly_ where Neville's name came from, but I know it's not that.
Old Dec 20 2004, 06:07 PM   #128
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Then was it after the British Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain?...
Old Dec 21 2004, 09:49 AM   #129
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

My name is Cheryl . . . (anything else nice as long as it isn't late to dinner . . .)
No groaning please, from the peanut gallery. :sssst:
An only child who grew up amidst sawdust and axle grease . . . worked as an auto mechanic for 16 years and then did various jobs (soldering, warehousing) and now just a SAHM. I do a little shadetree work on the side and take care of my disabled Dad.
I have a DS (Munchee aka Sean) age 4 . . . been :married: just 5 years to DH Pooky (aka Allen) You can read here.
I was born during the Cuban Missle Crisis (October '62) so yes, I am 42 (the 21st anniversary of my 21st b-day!) and I am 64 inches tall and not (quite) that big around anymore . . . I have greying (free frosting!) brunette hair and blue eyes . . .
I first saw "Devil in the Dark" , a ST:TOS episode when it first aired and was hooked ever since. I'm not a hardcore SciFi nut . . . I lean towards Fantasy and the first book of Anne's I read The White Dragon in the blue paperback . . . I like Eddings, Rawn, Anthony, and Pini . . .
I am a comic book fiend and a unapologetic packrat of books, spoons, comics, book marks, key chains, iris flowers, . . . and horse crazy!!!!
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21 2004, 02:24 PM   #130
palmedfire
Inactive

Quote:
Then was it after the British Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain?...

::raises eyebrow:: Riiiiight. No, not really.
Old Dec 21 2004, 04:30 PM   #131
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Hiya Cherlyn!

Welcome to the family! I hope you can settle right down, and feel free to be yourself. Watch out for the occasional redfruit as it flies past.

Otherwise I'm sure you'll fit in jest fine.
Old Dec 23 2004, 12:12 AM   #132
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDtoBe
Hi, my name is V. Meredith Toenjes, and I'm underpaid...oh ummmm...

I am PsyDtoBe. A PsyD is a doctorate in clinical psychology. This is my educational goal. Should I actually manage this, I'll need a new login name, email address, AIM name, license plate...
However, that'll be little to do to finally be done with school. This, however, won't be any time soon since it's about 2 1/2-3 years from now just for my master's. I live in Kansas City, Kansas, USA, I hate this whole part of the country. I'm becoming less and less fond of this entire country every week. I have a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and I am 2 classes shy of completing a second major in history, with an emphasis in American history. I just finished my 3rd semester of grad school.

I have 1 full-time and 3 part-time jobs. In order: an Independent Living program for teenagers, a domestic violence shelter, an Adult Detoxification Unit, an Adolescent substance abuse treatment center.

I share my life with my spouse, Jodi who recently got a promotion to Shift Supervisor at a juvenile detention center. We have 3 cats who have all been ized. Their pictures are on the ClanFiend MSN site. Jodi and I have been together for 6 1/2 years. Our extended family includes her parents, 2 younger brothers, their wives, my mother and many good friends. I'm 35, Jodi will be 30 in February. I'm planning a suprise party for her It's gonna have a Logan's Run theme.
It's hokey, but it oughta be fun.

We need more time together, fewer bills and a vacation, but otherwise, we're pretty happy together.

I enjoy reading, writing, video games, motorcycles, professional American football, women't tennis, movies, cooking for/with other, RPG's, spending time with friends, singing, playing guitar. Music in many forms (pretty much anything but opera and gangsta rap).

I was on the KTBB for 2 years this month, introduced to it when Jodi bought me A Gift of Dragons on ebook for xmas. I first read AM when I was 18. I had joined the sci-fi book club a couple of years earlier and had gotten The Dragonriders of Pern and The Harper Hall of Pern as 'extra gifts' for joining. I've read all but the last couple of Pern books, I started to read All the Weyrs of Pern and realised it'd been so long that I didn't remember a lot, so I re-read those two book club editions and am planning to work my way through. I've read the Talent series through Lyon's Pride and that's it.

And, that's a bit about me...

Peace, Meredith Psy
Hiya dear sis! We must throw a big party when you hold that MS in Psychology in your hand, then an even bigger one for your Doctorate.
Old Dec 25 2004, 08:20 PM   #133
Cherlyn
Crafter

Quote:
Hiya Cherlyn!

Welcome to the family! I hope you can settle right down, and feel free to be yourself. Watch out for the occasional redfruit as it flies past.

Otherwise I'm sure you'll fit in jest fine.
I'm mad like the rest of the Willeteers back at the KT
a sis to a certain coffee fiend and others . . .
and it took me 3 years to get to Craft Master! (joined 12-17-2001)

I'm always myself . . . depends on mood how much you get . . .
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Old Dec 26 2004, 01:32 AM   #134
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Cherlyn!

I notice from your sig that you are a small rodent. Goodonya!
Old Dec 28 2004, 11:43 AM   #135
Cherlyn
Crafter

Quote:
Cherlyn!

I notice from your sig that you are a small rodent. Goodonya!
Oh yes, "go for this" "go for that" "go get this" "go get that" . . .

That's me!
Old Dec 29 2004, 02:53 AM   #136
TamTam
Inactive

Fan of: Pern and more Pern
Now Reading: Mrs. Dalloway

Hi all,
My name is Tamara and I'm not much of a computer geek so don't expect to see me a whole lot around here. It's not you, it's me.
I am 27 years old, with a 25 year old sister and an 11 year old brother. I am proudly single and have no children, nor am I planning to have any.
I graduated high school when most kids were graduating college, at age 23. Before you start pitying me, I must say that this is the proudest moment of my life. I graduated with honours when most were not expecting me to graduate at all. As of this time, I am planning to enter trade school and become an electrician.
I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Even though I am a westerner, I am not a redneck! I have lived here my whole life but am thrilled to be able to speak to people around the world. It's an opportunity I have never known before.
I first read Ms. McCaffrey's works with The White Dragon at age 15. I immediately fell in love and read all of her Pern series over and over, as well as some of her Rowan series. Right now, I read a bit of everything but especially the classics.
I am glad to find this message board and people of a like mind.
Ta ta for now!
TamTam
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30 2004, 01:34 PM   #137
S'amm
Inactive

Hi Again here in the Mind Meeting Place. I have been and still am S'amm. Real name unimportant and very boring. Started my first BB experience with Anne a long time ago...lost my password and re-registered a couple of years later.

I have now joined 3 new boards and am wondering which will become HOME for us all ...BrainWave...join all three, enjoy all three. Aren't I just the cleverest...?

I, of course, am an Anne fan, one of the lucky ones to have an (unused/framed) autographed Dragon bookmark. I started reading Anne back in 1975, starting with The Ship Who Sang. Loved the concept and hope when I really start to fall apart they can find a ship for me to reside in.

I am slightly older (64 & 7/12th), a widow for almost 18 years now but still young at heart and very annoyed when my body won't let me do what my mind says I have been doing for many, many years. Very frustrting. Like this time of year in the Great White North and I have a ton of snow to move out of my way.

I have two grown sons who are the most wonderful children anyone could ask for (when I'm not peeved with them). I am lucky to be able to now call them friends. Quite an accomplishment.

# 1 Son Dan, has a lovely wife Cheryl and an energetic 3 3/4 year old daughter Rachel. My one and only darling Grandchild, who fortunately loves her Grammy. Also lucky that they live only about 10 minutes away.

# 2 Son Matthew, is living in British Columbia and dedicating his life to his fiancee Danielle and Track Cycling. He has just competed in his first World Cup Track Cycling Event in LA, USA in December/04 and is hopeful that he will attend his second in Manchester, UK early next year. I miss him terribly. Sure wish I could win a lottery so I could afford to fly out and visit. Would also like to see him race just once. Anyone over there with a video camera who could do some taping that would view in a Canadian VHS machine?

I think it is obvious that I also tend to ramble, but you did ask... ! I work part time and hate it. Have too much to do at home to fit in a job but the bill collectors disagree. I knit, crochet, sew, dabble in small wood working projects, golf when my world is green and spend a fair bit of time with Sister Sylbo and family. Of course I read and play here with you folks.

Smudge is my constant companion. He is a 2 year old Cavalier King Charles X-bred spaniel and we love each other. Maybe I will get lucky and upload him as my avatar. I have a roof over my head, fresh water, food in the 'frig and a furnace to keep me warm as well as a slow but usually dependable 'compie. What else is there?

S'amm - That's me... Hi
S'amm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30 2004, 05:21 PM   #138
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

TamTam and S'amm, welcome aboard!

It's lovely to meet you both and to read about your experiences.

TamTam, I started university when I was twenty-six, took a long break due to my health, and I'm finishing it next year; I wish you all the best, and I hope you get to do your course!

S'amm, I wish your son all the best with his cycling. Give Smudge a pat for me, please?
Old Dec 30 2004, 06:35 PM   #139
S'amm
Inactive

Why can't I upload my new Avatar. This is the only site I have had a problem with. I don't think it is too big. When I try it just reverts back to "Do not use an Avatar"?

Thanks for the welcome ghyle.

S'amm
Old Dec 31 2004, 05:48 AM   #140
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

You're welcome, S'amm; I'm overjoyed to make your acquaintance. I just sent you a private message re. your question about avatars.
Old Dec 31 2004, 05:13 PM   #141
S'amm
Inactive

He is up and running (so to speak) as he is presently lying with his head on my left foot under my desk.

Thanks Cheryl. Smudge Thanks You Too.

Nice to meet you too ghyle and all the rest of the gang here.

S'amm
Old Jan 3 2005, 09:39 AM   #142
Sharon
Inactive

Red face Re: Getting to know you...

Hi!

It's Sharon, aka Sharon CF, Aka SharonCoffeeFiend.

What do you mean you have no clue who I am? I'm crushed! <--to fortify me.

Ok...

I'm 44 years old, I live in Southern California with a cat,Socrates.
I'm mostly to be found at http://www.annemccaffreyfans.org or http://groups.msn.com/ClanFiend or Wolfegar's forum.

I"m addicted to Runescape, I bake and cook a lot. And talk about it just as much.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2005, 03:36 PM   #143
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Hiya Sharon!

welcome aboard, and may you stay be marked by the epicurean consumption of java....

I hope that all is well with you and that, like I, you will have a fulfilling year ahead of you.
Old Jan 5 2005, 04:09 AM   #144
XeXo
Inactive

Re: Getting to know you...

Hi, I just joined here and found this thread so I thought I'd introduce myself.

Most of you can probably pick where the XeXo came from, but in RL my name is Jason. I live in a little seaside town in NSW, Australia with a population of maybe 500 on a good day.

I work as office manager in a dirty dusty rural supplies/hardware store which I've come to despise recently as the boss seems determined to drive the place into the ground before he sells it out from under us.

Hmm, what else to say, I'm 32, single, oh, and a McCaffrey fan since I was like 14 years old and found The White Dragon tucked in the SF corner of the school library. I've since collected most of the Pern books, Brain, Talent, Crystal Singer, and Dinosaur Planet books and have read most to the disintigration point.

I'm also a bit of a MUD nut I guess you could say
XeXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2005, 05:09 AM   #145
Kaelesa
Inactive

Hi everyone - I'm Kaelesa, when I'm on the computer - Debbie any other time. I belonged to the old bb almost from day one...but wasn't a big poster. It's very hard to keep up with you all !!

I read Dragonflight back in 1974 or 1975 after my (new at the time) hubby recommended it. I was hooked on all things McCaffrey from then on. From "The White Dragon" on I've bought everything that came out in hardback, even "People of Pern" and the original "Dragonlovers Guide to Pern".

When I logged onto the internet for the first time, the first search I did was on Anne McCaffrey. I was so excited to find there were so many fans out there! One of the highlights of my online experiences, to this day, is attending a live chat with Anne on AOL, back in 1997 I think. The technology thing blew me away - that I could be in Utah and chat with her in Ireland!

One thing that sent me to this board today was the Christmas gift I received from my son and his fiance today (they sent it late). My future daughter-in-law stood in line at Dragoncon in Atlanta for 4 or more hours to get me signed books! I have a signed copy of "Masterharper of Pern" paperback, "Dragonlover's Guide to Pern" signed by Anne and Jody Lyn Nye, and a bookplate signed by Anne and Todd. I'm so excited!

I'm married 30 1/2 years to my soul mate. We have 3 grown children - daughter who is married and is mom to my two most darling grandsons (ages 4 and 18 mos); our oldest son (the one with excellent gift ideas) is just getting his discharge from the army - thank goodness - he did 15 months in Iraq; and our youngest son (22) who works for Borders Books Store (how cool is that?!!) - he still lives at home (due to high cost of living here in southern California).

I'm glad to find these new boards. It was always fun to see what other McCaffrey fans were talking about on the old boards.
Kaelesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8 2005, 02:08 AM   #146
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon
Hi!

It's Sharon, aka Sharon CF, Aka SharonCoffeeFiend.

What do you mean you have no clue who I am? I'm crushed! <--to fortify me.

Ok...

I'm 44 years old, I live in Southern California with a cat,Socrates.
I'm mostly to be found at http://www.annemccaffreyfans.org or http://groups.msn.com/ClanFiend or Wolfegar's forum.

I"m addicted to Runescape, I bake and cook a lot. And talk about it just as much.
I know you sis... Welcome over here and will be seeing you around the place. huggles and kisses
Old Jan 8 2005, 04:08 PM   #147
sassie
Inactive

Hi I thought as I've found you all again I'd tell you something about me and my three feline carbon based life forms who keep me gainfully employed as their main tin opener! They are all named for Anne's caractures so there's Lunzie (mummy cat) jax and Farli ( daughter and son)
I'm Sassie on line (Guess were that came from, I admired strong women!)
and answer to Joe (short for Joanne, which is only used when I've been naughty!) I've been an Anne fan when a friend brought me Dragonsdawn and theres been no stopping me ever since, I've got all of the usual series and a couple of the early romances. I have to admit I've fallen behind with the Acorna series but am planning to spend my xmas dosh on the lastest four!
I love si-fi and fantasy novels and have far to many books but I am becoming increasingly housebound due to spinal injuries caused by horses, motorbikes and an assult by a client when I was a Social Worker...I know but somebody has to do it! These have an effect on my hands and arms both of which will become mere appendages at some point in the future, but then the Quacks said I'd be in a wheel chair in two years and that was over 10 years ago, so I tend not to belive them! So although my world has shrunk in real terms, it's also got alot bigger as I have all the time in the world to read and there is no limits set on your imagination!
I found that I enjoyed the books co-authored with Elizabeth Moon and have all her books, as well as the usual si-fi fantasy books and am deep in Middle Earth at the moment due to the films and the fact I had'nt read it for about 2 years and then there's also the yummy Viggo too
I will be in the chat room but as my typing is slow I tend to sit and laugh at all the jokes (even the ones I don't get....it does'nt take alot to amuse me!)
I have explored some other sites but got really annoyed at some of the nit picking that seemed to be the way to provoke a response, so I'll be stayin on MOM
I'm always here if anyone wants a chat, if I'm not in Mordor, on Pern or any number of other worlds!
take care, Fly safe
sassie
Old Jan 8 2005, 04:46 PM   #148
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

A little poem for Sassie...

Three cheers for Sassie,
For she's a wonderful lassie,
Who's joined us here today,
For we are sometimes crazy,
And sometimes incredibly lazy,
But she is here today--hooray!
Old Jan 9 2005, 02:21 AM   #149
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

ghyle's a Poet, and I bet 'e knows it!

Welcome aboard

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9 2005, 10:44 AM   #150
SM
Inactive

Took me a few days to find this

Hi, I'm Sadhbh, married to a Frenchman, two boys - two and 11 months - living in a little village (400 inhabitants) in SW France

I've been a fan of Anne's since I read my hubby's French versions of her books, then went out and bought the originals, funnily enough started Pern with Dragonflight and Dragonquest and went on from there

We've been to see her in Dragonhold under Hill and (obviously) I joined this forum to be able to talk about her to my heart's content with other fans

I also enjoy emailing funnies to whoever would like them

Bye for now
SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9 2005, 05:00 PM   #151
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Hiya SM!

Greetings to our little party!
May our postings ne'er be tardy....
may they, if they find you tearful,
leave you feeling ever cheerful!
Old Jan 9 2005, 07:25 PM   #152
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Fantastic Voyage

Greetings, I'm Aldwin McClance.

(Actually, my real name is Franz Hansen.)

I live in Fremont, California, United States.

I am a big fan of science fiction with a fascination for fantasy that portray Dragons in a good light rather than as evil, savage monsters. I am especially a fan Star Trek, Babylon 5, and Star Wars.

I love to write stories. For the last five years, I have been working on a sci-fi series that I developed from watching the above mentioned series. Hopefully, I'll have the first book of the series published soon. I'll let everyone here know when my book is finally released.

I became a fan of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series just last May when I decided to pick up Dragonsong. I wasn't too sure about it at first. I only decided to read it because the book I read previously, Dragonworld, left me with an almost unquinchable thirst for Dragons. Several times before, I merely looked over the books and thought they were interesting, but was still hestitant, as I was with any author that I haven't read before. But when I started reading, I found it difficult to put the book down. I was reading it just about whenever I wasn't doing anything else. Anne McCaffrey is now my top favorite author with Alan Dean Foster as my second favorite.

It wasn't too long ago either, when I was reading Dragonsdawn when I realized how much my own writing had in common with her's. I'm now reading the Pern series in chronological order and I'm currently on Dragonseye.
McClance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9 2005, 09:02 PM   #153
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugai
ghyle's a Poet, and I bet 'e knows it!

Welcome aboard

I should hope he does! considering the number of poems he posts!!!

Keep 'em comin ghyle!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2005, 12:01 AM   #154
sassie
Inactive

To Ghyle,

Thank you for your poem of greeting,
On the forum where Minds are a-meeting,
It might take quite a while, to rhyme with Ghyle,
But give it some time, and a load of red wine,
'cos with enough bottles of that of grog,
I'll keep a bleary eye open for a Green Globe Frog!!!

See you on the boards
Sassie
Old Jan 10 2005, 01:17 AM   #155
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Kugai and C_ris, seeing as I am a poet, it is no surprise that I will, occasionally, write poetry. I recently had another poem accepted; the first of th year, and so quickly... such a good sign this early on, no?

In any case, I shall see you both around.
Old Jan 10 2005, 01:20 AM   #156
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

G'day, McClance, and welcome aboard. It's good to see another writer here; what do you think of science fiction verse, perchance?

What do you think of Jack Vance's usage of "dragons", so to speak, in his SF?

ciao!
Old Jan 10 2005, 05:18 AM   #157
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Quote:
G'day, McClance, and welcome aboard. It's good to see another writer here; what do you think of science fiction verse, perchance?

What do you think of Jack Vance's usage of "dragons", so to speak, in his SF?

ciao!
I haven't yet read Jack Vance. What's his usage of dragons?
Old Jan 10 2005, 03:44 PM   #158
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

In one of novels, he utilises the name of dragons for genetically modified specimens of a race of reptilian beings, who have periodically invaded a planet inhabited by umans in the far future. The only problem is that the beings have returned, with their captives, the humans having to put aside their petty struggles in order to survive. The Dragon Masters is vintage Vance, and one way of looking at what could be called dragons that is more pragmatic than 'good' or 'evil'.
Old Jan 10 2005, 08:30 PM   #159
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Quote:
In one of novels, he utilises the name of dragons for genetically modified specimens of a race of reptilian beings, who have periodically invaded a planet inhabited by umans in the far future. The only problem is that the beings have returned, with their captives, the humans having to put aside their petty struggles in order to survive. The Dragon Masters is vintage Vance, and one way of looking at what could be called dragons that is more pragmatic than 'good' or 'evil'.
Hmm... I don't know what to think on that.
Old Jan 12 2005, 12:39 PM   #160
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I haven't read any Jack Vance but arent the characteristics VERY human like! neither good or evil
edith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rhodalle