A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Apr 8 2006, 08:00 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Post Collecting Highlight (15) - Habit is an Old Horse [chapbook edition]

"Habit is an Old Horse" tells the story of Knock, an old horse who is forlornly waiting for his rider to come amidst an unusual gathering of humans. The story was originally published in 1979, for an anthology of stories by authors such as Anne who had recloacted to Ireland, and which were to be inspired by or otherwise connected to their new homeland.

In March 1986, when Anne appeared as guest of honor at Norwescon 9 in Seattle, WA, USA, this short story was reissued in a chapbook of the same title, and included with it a new short story, "Fallen Angel," which has never been republished. Somewhat ironicly neither story is science fiction (ironic as it was published for a scifi convention). The cover illustration was done by Janet Kramer.

Copyright page

Dryad Press published 400 total copies of the chapbook, as follows:

8 lettered copies, signed by Anne, bound in leather and stamped with gold foil lettering and a horse in silver foil. No dustjacket or slipcase. No issue price; likely these were presentation copies for specific individuals.

50 numbered copies, signed by Anne, bound in brown cloth, with silver foil lettering on the front board and gold foil on the rear, with a dust jacket. Original issue price of $15 US.

342 copies, unsigned, staple bound in brown wrappers (a stiff paper/cardboard), $3 US original issue price. (Above image is of this binding state)

Currently about 8 copies of the third binding state (the 342 stapled wrappers) are for sale through online used bookstores, with prices varying from $100 (For a fairly damaged copy) to $375 US. I don't recall ever coming across copies of the first two binding states for sale.

As is fitting to the subject matter of the story, the chapbook contains a photograph of Anne and her beloved horse Mr. Ed.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8 2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Collecting Highligh (15) - Habit is an Old Horse [chapbook edition]

Cheryl, Thank you for showing me this, it makes my eyes water just to look at it. Maybe I will get one of these perhaps, right after I get the one art book that I have been searching for.

It is a complete collection of the art works of Albert Thomas De Rome, and it is going for around $400.00 dollars at the latest findings. I just won't spend that much on a book, or at least not yet.

Maybe though you never know how bad you can get when you find that special book that you have been looking for.

Hey!!! do you have one yet......?

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2006, 04:35 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Collecting Highligh (15) - Habit is an Old Horse [chapbook edition]

Thank you for this wonderful CHL, Cheryl.
I couldn't think of a more appropriate one to post around the time of Anne's birthday!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2006, 07:06 AM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (15) - Habit is an Old Horse [chapbook edition]

I do indeed have my own copy, found for a nice small sum. That'd be where the pictures come from!
Old Apr 9 2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (15) - Habit is an Old Horse [chapbook edition]

Cool. I didn't know the origin of that story.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Brenda

Habit is an Old Horse is in the anthology "The Girl Who Heard Dragons."

There's another AMC story that's ONLY in that $100+ book?!?
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2006, 04:51 PM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Yep Brenda! "Fallen Angel" was originally slated to be republished in The Girl Who Heard Dragons anthology along with "Habit is an Old Horse", but for whatever reason it was cut. It's a shame, because it's an interesting story, one that I remember really liking. I should read it again and give a summary -- and see if my impression of it has held up over time.
Old Apr 9 2006, 07:18 PM   #8
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Cheryl,

Yes, thanks for posting this! I had a copy once upon a time and had to sell it, along with a few other of Anne's rarer items I had at the time. I've been slowly getting the items back, at much higher prices than I originally got them, unfortunately. I've been wanting to get this one again, but kept putting it off, til now that is! I just had to go and find a copy and order it. So I did! Amazing how the prices can fluctuate between book sellers. Bought the best one at the lowest price. I'll feel much better once I have this one in hand.
Old Apr 9 2006, 08:08 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I love this, seeing all the wonderful things that I can collect in the furture.

Being a new collector, even though I own all the regular printed books of Annes, and a few that many don't have. I am so looking forward to finding out all the wonderfull things that there are to add to my growning collection.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Apr 11 2006, 09:09 PM   #10
SpaceCowboy
Glow

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

Ohhhhhhh myyyyyy. I think I had better get back to my local used book store. I'm pretty sure I saw a copy of that book on the shelf. The only reason I didn't look closer is the fact that I had a first edition copy WITH DUST JACKET of Robert Heinlein's "Starman Jones" in my hands at the time. And no it wasn't a library copy, and it is now locked in my safety deposit box.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2006, 10:25 PM   #11
Dyna
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonrider sagas
Now Reading: in between books

I actually had to go look in that anthology for that title, as I dont remember reading it...but that was ages ago. Now I have another book to add the long list of those I want...

Yay me...I'll end up spending more money on books than anything else if I keep this up.

Thank for informing me and sparking my need to spend...lol

Dyna
Dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2006, 01:00 AM   #12
Becky
Coelura

My copy arrived today! It's so pristine! It's better than the one I had before, tho I paid more for this one so it better be! Glad to have it back in the collection.
Old Apr 14 2006, 02:39 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Way to go, Becky

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Apr 14 2006, 07:55 AM   #14
Bagpuss
Deski

Fan of: Crystal Singer.
Now Reading: Nothing at all.....!

There are several copies on abe........some not too badly priced.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2006, 11:00 AM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I saw some of those Baggy, now I have to decide what I am wanting to buy next, this little jewel or another book, that has been pointed out to me(by another collector), as one that I need to go and get.

Old May 4 2006, 09:55 AM   #16
Becky
Coelura

Just got this on my ABE wants list - I'm guessing there was a mixup in the pricing. If not then, whew, I'm glad I got my copy when I did!!!

Your Want: # A20414174
Author: anne mccaffrey;
Title: habit is an old horse;

We have matched your Want with one or more books now available on our Web site, including the following (please note that only the lowest and highest price matches are displayed):

1. HABIT IS AN OLD HORSE,
McCaffrey, Anne
Dryad Press, 1986, Stapled Card Wraps, , .Has two stories: "Fallen Angel" and "Habit is an Old Horse." Published in conjunction with the author's Guest of Honor appearance at Norwescon 9, March 20-23, 1986, in Seattle, Washington. 1 od 342 copies22 pp
Bookseller: THE BOOK BIN -- ATTN: Carl, Corvallis, OR
Price: US$ 9810.00 < -----
Old May 4 2006, 10:27 AM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ........WOW

That is the national debt............are they serious

Old May 4 2006, 10:28 AM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I guess I won't be getting one of those for a long while, it is completly out of my book budget.

Old May 4 2006, 01:58 PM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Send them a mail with this:

LOL

Old May 4 2006, 03:48 PM   #20
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I saw one on ABE books today costing even more!
In fact it was the most expensive thing there
above a signed DF 1st!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2006, 03:56 PM   #21
mattv2099
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Wizard And Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith
I saw one on ABE books today costing even more!
In fact it was the most expensive thing there
above a signed DF 1st!
Search Results
Author: anne mccaffrey
Matches: 20483 Displaying results 1 - 30 Sort Results By: Author A-Z Author Z-A Highest Price Lowest Price Newest Title A-Z Title Z-A

1. HABIT IS AN OLD HORSE
McCaffrey, Anne
Bookseller: THE BOOK BIN -- ATTN: Carl
(Corvallis, OR, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 9810.00
[Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 4.00
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Dryad Press, Seattle WA, 1986. Stapled Card Wraps. Book Condition: As New. No DJ. First Ed. 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall. .Has two stories: "Fallen Angel" and "Habit is an Old Horse." Published in conjunction with the author's Guest of Honor appearance at Norwescon 9, March 20-23, 1986, in Seattle, Washington. 1 od 342 copies22 pp. Bookseller Inventory # BBC-0K37056

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask Bookseller a Question]

2. The White Dragon (MANUSCRIPT) (ISBN: 0345275675)
McCaffrey, Anne
Bookseller: BookMan/BookWoman
(Nashville, TN, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 7500.00
US$ 3.50
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Del Rey, 1978. Unbound. Book Condition: Very Good+. Manuscript. 81/2 x 11 Size. This is Anne McCaffrey's manuscript of her award winning novel,signed by her, along with her cover letter, also signed, to her editor. I bought this at the San Francisco auction 20 years ago and showed it to Ms McCaffrey when she was in Nashville on Sept 27, 2003 and she signed the top of the first page as well. We are Tennessee's largest used and rare bookstore, based in Nashville.bx99. Signed by Author. Bookseller Inventory # 003293

[Bookseller & Payment Information] [More Books from this Seller] [Ask Bookseller a Question]

3. DRAGONFLIGHT
McCaffrey, Anne
Bookseller: Booklegger's Used Books
(Chicago, IL, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 2500.00
US$ 5.00
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Walker and Co. N.Y. 1968 - First Edition - Signed, 1968. A fine square and tight copy in a fine fine and tight dustjacket/brodart covered, Signed/inscribed by the Author.. One small 1/4 inch closed tear to dustjacket.. Some very light age tanning to dustjacket. Otherwise, a fine example of this very scarce first edition and signed by the author.. Bookseller Inventory # 005079

Hmm. More than a college education one these books?
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2006, 03:57 PM   #22
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

That's the one!
Just loaded it up now!
Old May 4 2006, 04:17 PM   #23
Hans
Master Archivist

Hmm, shall I buy it? Nah, I'd better not...

Old May 4 2006, 04:24 PM   #24
mattv2099
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Wizard And Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Hmm, shall I buy it? Nah, I'd better not...

Why not? Have a house? Take out a loan on it. No big deal
mattv2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2006, 08:44 PM   #25
Becky
Coelura

Oh, good grief! I can't imagine that they think they'll sell ANY of those! Are they nuts????
Old May 4 2006, 10:15 PM   #26
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Oh sugar and fruit loops! (Well, there were a few choice words out of the English dictionary but on the grounds of incrimination and I'm a little angel for the moment, I think not).

What are they trying to do to us? I mean we all want a slice of the action but that is bordering on ridiculous. I can remember looking for "A time when" through "Biblioquest" and thought $2500 for it was BAADDDDDDD! Then I wised up after I was told ebay and Abebooks was better value for my money.

After all!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2006, 11:49 AM   #27
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Jube, Sugar and fruit loops, I love that........Oh yes I think that it is not just bordering on ridiculous, it is completly ridiculous.

That anyone would pay that amount for a book is crazy. We are all bad enough with all of our collections but this person must be totaly off his nut to expect someone to pay that out.

Old May 8 2006, 03:25 PM   #28
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

That's more than my years student loan!
Old Nov 6 2007, 04:27 PM   #29
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Just checked today's availability:-

11 copies ranging from £56.43 to £191.63.

Somewhat more reasonable but still a little high for my pocket.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6 2007, 05:20 PM   #30
Hans
Master Archivist

Especially for a "mere" few pages

Old Nov 6 2007, 07:09 PM   #31
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Not many pages, but "Fallen Angel" hasn't been printed elsewhere -- and in my opinion it deserves reprinting. I liked it!