A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Apr 13 2017, 04:25 PM   #41
MarciH
Darbul

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Masterharper of Pern
Default Re: Masterharper Of Pern Inconsistencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Okay, Anne wasn't perfect, with infallible recall: that's why we used to talk about Anneconsistancies.
That's why you have editors. Also, if you're writing a series over several years, you're supposed to go back and reread your earlier books, and have friends read your copy so you don't have these glaring inconsistencies.

I don't think many of her inconsistencies are from forgetfulness, as much as wanting to make the series more palatable for modern readers. When she first started, readers were more understanding of stories set in a medieval type setting where women were not equal, or treated equal. It's only today's readers who want strong, equal women who do everything men do (even if that makes no sense in a patriarchal, agrarian society)

Granted, Pern is more forward thinking in some ways (especially with sex), but it's ridiculous to insist that every society regard women the way Europe and America do. The fact is, agrarian societies tend to be much more patriarchal, with gender defined roles. Mainly because of the physical demands. And women were needed to grow the population, especially after a plague. That's the main reason having female green riders died out - because going between so much causes miscarriage and can hinder child bearing (DLG mentions that female riders are more prone to ovarian cysts because of going between).

But, going back to the original statement, I believe that Anne began to get some flack about the way she treated women, and fiction writing changed also (bodice rippers went out of style), and that's why there are so many inconsistencies in her later books.

But there was really no need (especially in books set before the original trilogy) to make so many changes. It was already set up, with the overpopulation and the discovery of AIVAS, as well as very forward looking and strong leaders in F'lar, Lessa, Robinton, and Fandarel, to have the views on women start changing in AWOP and SoP. Plus, she could have had more equality in her books set in earlier passes, without trying to modernize MHOP.
MarciH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13 2017, 06:23 PM   #42
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Having read Todd's Pern books; I wonder how much input he had in MHoP?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13 2017, 07:06 PM   #43
MarciH
Darbul

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Masterharper of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Having read Todd's Pern books; I wonder how much input he had in MHoP?
That's an excellent suggestion and extremely plausible. It would explain many of the inconsistencies in MHOP.

On a side note, I have not been impressed by Todd's books, and I HATE Sky Dragons. I find the idea of "green queens" utterly ridiculous and totally implausible. Too much deus ex machina. And the way he writes it, queens from greens are better than queens from golds. They're more psychic and impress in the shell, and can do things in the shell that golds can't do even when hatched (ex. Control their riders' pain, psychically tell where tunnel snakes are and tell people that information)
MarciH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18 2017, 07:08 AM   #44
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

There's one big advantage that we have that Anne didn't when she first started writing. A computer. With a computer it's easy enough to do a search to see if Lytol's dragon was green or brown, or even to set up a "guide" with character sheets and charts, and switch between both documents to check on inconsistencies.

Writing longhand, the first time an inconsistency comes to your awareness can be when some reader complains about it.

Having said that, I have to confess that my first reaction to Masterharper was along the lines of: "Bah! She's taken to writing potboilers!"

The book improved with re-reading, to the point where it became one of the take-off points for my own fanfiction. My characters take roughly the same track that Robinton does on his journeyman walkabout while escaping from Fax.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18 2017, 05:26 PM   #45
Kennet
Rocksquat

Fan of: Rowan
Now Reading: re-reading dragon series

I may have missed it in reading MHoP, but: why does F'lon hate Fax? The two do not seem to have any connection, and Fax is just a minor family member at High Reaches. Even Robinton does not hate Fax at that point, he just finds him annoying.
Kennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19 2017, 05:29 AM   #46
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Possibly F'lon, or his dragon, senses that Fax is a baddun who's going to cause trouble in the future?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Jul 20 2017, 03:44 AM   #47
Kennet
Rocksquat

All that any mind-reading would get from Fax was that he was ambitious and/or wanted to impress his uncle as a good holder. Not that I think that such a reading was possible, even granted draconic telepathy.

IF dragons could 'see' the future, they would not know which future was the correct one. This is one reason why dragons don't hold memories for long. They 'see' different outcomes in their precognition and cannot tell which are correct, so they forget them.

I think that I said this before: Canth 'forgets' a variety of versions of returns from Ruatha:
- One in which F'nor returns with Lessa, but F'lar is dead and Mnementh has gone between; another with F'lar badly wounded and no Lessa; and another where they return empty-handed. F'nor remembers the actual events, and Canth relies on him for this ability.
Old Jul 23 2017, 12:47 AM   #48
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Now that's a very interesting theory, Kennet. Makes me think.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26 2017, 06:23 PM   #49
Kennet
Rocksquat

I drink, therefore I am. -- Decartes (according to Monty Python)

It is a great thing that you can drink tea at work. It is also great that Jack Daniels looks like tea.
Old Jul 31 2017, 02:19 PM   #50
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

It never ceases to amaze me just how many of our favourite drinks are the colour the the muddy streams drunk by our distant ancestors.

C. S. Lewis