A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Oct 7 2014, 12:21 AM   #1
CuriousFlit
Selkie

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Default Dragonriders of Pern games

I couldn't find a thread for this, but I may have missed it. I've only heard of four games ever made of Pern. Three video games and a board game. I myself have Dragonriders: Chronicles of Pern, the game made for Sega Dreamcast and PC. I have the dreamcast version. And I found a used second edition of the board game for my mom's birthday (she's a fan of Anne's books too) Have any of you heard of the games or played them? Any thoughts about them?

Here are my thoughts (spoiler free):

I've played and beaten Chronicles of Pern, but we haven't gotten around to playing the board game yet. CoP is... hard to describe. On the one hand, it was a treat for a Pern fan such as myself, I felt the two main plots and side quests were interesting, and seeing this version of Pern was nice. The mix of RPG and Adventure style play seemed good as well. I liked the music also, but that may be just me. The firelizards you could find/earn and hatch were a neat easter egg. The graphics overall weren't too bad given the game system. Another nice thing was that it had information on Pern for those that have never read the books, in the form of skins that you could find at the Weyr and the Harper Hall.

But on the other hand, it felt unfinished. The controls took getting used too, the load times, while not the longest I've ever seen, were a pain- as was the combat system. The voice acting was also missing at times. Oh, and don't even get me started on the camera movements, or lack of, I should say.

Overall, I liked it and feel that had it been given more care, it could have been a truly great game. As it is, I'm still wanting to go back and play it again- flaws and all. Would have been interesting though if we'd been able to actually fly the dragon to fight Thread... But they do give a reason why we don't, even though Thread is still falling.

As for the board game, although we haven't played it yet (and are missing some parts), it seems very interesting, and the board is beautifully crafted. Personally though I think it would have looked even better if they had kept the game token designs from the first edition.

Last edited by CuriousFlit; Oct 7 2014 at 01:05 AM.
CuriousFlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7 2014, 12:51 AM   #2
Kit
Muskie

Default Re: Dragonriders of Pern games

I haven't played the CoP game, but I did watch a playthrough of it for the storyline.

I have in the past tracked down and even played a bit of the old computer games from the eighties: One was for the commodore 64/Atari, with an interesting if simplistic threadfighting mini-game. It was basically a dragon flying back and forth across the screen and flaming little lines of Thread. The rest of the game was boring negotiation, though, which I never saw the appeal of.

...I also found a DOS version from 1987, I think? But I suspect that was a bootleg or unofficial game of some sort. It was entirely text-based and the negotiation aspect was word-for-word identical to the Commodore version, plus it doesn't seem to be listed on any of the official pern sites or wikipedia. So I rather doubt the legality of that one. Strangely, I do remember it was a lot more in-depth on the dragonrider and threadfighting side; like, whole wings of dragons with stats and everything.

I don't have either of them anymore though. Haven't for awhile.
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15 2014, 12:08 AM   #3
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Moreta
Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

I've played both the DOS and the c64 versions: I have the feeling the DOS version is someone's knocked up strategy game and not licensed.

Of the two, it's far superior if not a complete pain in the ass because as Kit mentions, you are not only negotiating as Weyrleader with your tributary Lord Holders for tithe and junk, but you are also responsible for managing the Threadbattling on a statistical basis. The riders in the wings have names and individual stats and need to be balanced; wings have to be placed; when weyrlings die you have to replace them to get firestone delivered. For anyone interested in the overwhelming task of figuring out how to do all that in DOS, it's a pretty good sim.

The most you can say about the c64 version in comparison is that the Threadfighting bits show what a nice Pern side-scroller could accomplish as a shoot-em-up game. Baffling that there have been multiple shooting games where you play a dragonrider, but none of them have been Pern Threadfall sims.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2 2014, 04:59 AM   #4
lippy
Muskie

Fan of: Pern

I have the board game and one video game for PC, although I haven't gotten around to playing either, yet. I don't know about the other video games - they didn't really register on my collecting radar, so I wonder if they are for old systems I don't have. Can someone list them?

There's also the book game, which I have but also haven't played yet .
lippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3 2014, 01:45 PM   #5
BronzeRider
Glow

Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern: First Fall

I'm not familiar with the video/CRPGs, but the board game interests me a lot.

You can look up pics of the board game at BoardGameGeek; they have mixed pics of 1st & 2nd edition, and a brief summary of the game & its publishing history.

I'd love to get my hands on either edition, and I am currently working on a table-top RPG version of DRoP using Traveller rules, based in AL2500. If I got my hands on the boardgame, I might be able to work it into the RPG.

(Hello Lippy! I recognize your avatar from Dragonsfoot! )
BronzeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3 2014, 01:55 PM   #6
CuriousFlit
Selkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeRider View Post
I'd love to get my hands on either edition, and I am currently working on a table-top RPG version of DRoP using Traveller rules, based in AL2500. If I got my hands on the boardgame, I might be able to work it into the RPG.
That sounds like a pretty cool idea. As for finding the boardgame, I can help with that a little: http://www.amazon.com/Dragonriders-P.../dp/042506624X

Looks like it's first edition^. I was lucky enough to find that 2nd edition during my own search for it, but I think the one I found was the last one out for sale. Good luck!
CuriousFlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3 2014, 08:45 PM   #7
lippy
Muskie

Fan of: Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeRider View Post
I'm not familiar with the video/CRPGs, but the board game interests me a lot.

You can look up pics of the board game at BoardGameGeek; they have mixed pics of 1st & 2nd edition, and a brief summary of the game & its publishing history.

(Hello Lippy! I recognize your avatar from Dragonsfoot! )
I just PMed you over there!

I'll have to dig out my copy of the board game and see which edition it is. I know it's complete because I inventoried it when I bought it. I need to read it and try out a solitaire game. It's on my list!
lippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2014, 02:01 AM   #8
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

I wonder if the computer games can be ported and emulated... or has anyone done that?
Old Nov 23 2014, 12:07 PM   #9
Kit
Muskie

Yes, they can and have been. I don't know if linking and discussing those versions is alright here though; emulators are a murky subject legally.
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Spock
Jewel Junk

Fan of: The Smallest Dragon Boy
Now Reading: DragonWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindan View Post
I wonder if the computer games can be ported and emulated... or has anyone done that?
I have no idea about in here (after all, I've only just arrived!) but I do know that on any of the Developer forums I belong to or the gaming fansites, emulations are only allowed to be discussed if it was created or supported by the original developers. Anything else is usually considered a form of reverse engineering and/or piracy.

Software and video piracy are both treated the same. There is a $250,000.00 USD fine and up to 5 years in jail possible PER INSTANCE!!!

I enjoy computer games but not enough to take any chances.
Old May 11 2015, 08:13 PM   #11
Gilluin
Welladay Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I have no idea about in here (after all, I've only just arrived!) but I do know that on any of the Developer forums I belong to or the gaming fansites, emulations are only allowed to be discussed if it was created or supported by the original developers. Anything else is usually considered a form of reverse engineering and/or piracy.

Software and video piracy are both treated the same. There is a $250,000.00 USD fine and up to 5 years in jail possible PER INSTANCE!!!

I enjoy computer games but not enough to take any chances.
what is the games are no longer produced?
Gilluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26 2015, 08:11 PM   #12
Kennet
Rocksquat

Fan of: Rowan
Now Reading: re-reading dragon series

The book game is by the same company that did Ace of Aces, IIRC. It is actually two books, the players each have a book and call out maneuvers. By referring to a chart at the bottom of the page you flip to an intermediate page and then to the final page. On this final page is a drawing of what you would see after completing the maneuver. You quickly learn which pages depict you getting Thread-scored. (^_^)
Kennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11 2016, 05:29 PM   #13
Kennet
Rocksquat

Fan of: Rowan
Now Reading: re-reading dragon series

This is a little solitaire game which I have devised:
Pencil and paper Dragonriders game

You need: two sheets of graph paper (minimum), pencil, eraser, several sheets of scrap paper for notes, and polyhedral dice or a deck of cards for random number generation.

The Playing area: you will use a 20 by 20 portion of each graph paper as the playing area. Number the rows and columns 1-20 starting in the lower left corner. One sheet is the dragon deployment area and the other represents the area of Threadfall.

The Dragons:
Bronze: Moves one box per minute and can flame 50 times before resupply is required. Maximum altitude 15.
Brown: Moves one box per minute and can flame 40 times before resupply is required. Maximum altitude 16.
Blue: Moves two boxes per minute and can flame 30 times before resupply is required. Maximum altitude 18
Green: Moves three boxes per minute and can flame 20 times before resupply is required. Maximum altitude 20.

The Wing used in the game consists of: One Bronze Wingleader, one Bronze WingSecond, two Brown, ten Blue, and twenty Green dragons.

Deploying the Dragons
Dragons fight in pairs, any dragon which does not have a partner cannot fight until a partner becomes available.
Any pair made up of different colours moves at the rate of the slowest dragon and cannot climb higher than the lower maximum altitude of the pair.
Assign the dragons to pairs and note this on a separate sheet of paper, leaving room to mark flamings. Assign a letter to each pair, eg. Pair A is the Wingleader (Bronze) and one Brown dragon, Pair B is the WingSecond (Bronze) and one Brown dragon, etc.
Deploy the pairs onto the Dragon sheet by marking the identifying letter in the appropriate box.

Moving the Dragons
Pairs can cross from the Dragon sheet to the Threadfall sheet. This counts as moving one box.
A Pair can move up, down, left or right. No diagonal moves are allowed.
When a Pair is moved, mark its new location and erase the old marked location.
A Pair can hover in its current position, if desired.

Example of moves: 1) A Green Pair crosses to the Threadfall sheet, moves left to flame a clump of Thread, and returns to the Dragon sheet. Its new position (to the left of the old one) is marked and the old position is erased.
1) A Blue Pair crosses to the Threadfall sheet and moves right to flame a clump. Its new location is marked on the Threadfall sheet and the old one on the Dragon sheet is erased.

Flaming Thread
A Pair can flame Thread at any time during its movement phase, even if it does not move.
When a Pair moves into a box which contains one or more Thread clumps, one Dragon will flame a clump. Roll d10: 1-7 Thread clump is destroyed; 8-9 miss; 10 miss and injury occurs to one dragon.
When Thread enters a box containing a Pair, one dragon may flame a clump. The d10 is as above, except that 9-10 results in possible injury.
If both dragons in a Pair opt to flame at the same time, the Injury number is decreased by one for both dragons.
If there is more than two clumps of Thread in a box, the Injury number is decreased by one for each additional clump beyond two.
If there is more than one Pair in a box, the injury number is decreased by one for each additional dragon beyond two.
When a dragon successfully flames a clump of Thread, the marking number is erased from the Threadfall sheet. If more than one clump was in that box, mark the number remaining in the box.

Injuries
When an Injury number is rolled in a Thread flaming, roll a d4. If the result is 1, 2 or 3, one dragon sustains a minor injury and the Pair returns to fight after the rolled number of minutes.
If a 4 is rolled, one dragon sustains a Grievous Injury and returns to the Weyr for treatment. Immediately roll d6 and if the result is 6, the dragon or rider has been killed. Any other result is the number of days needed to recover from the injury. The other dragon goes into reserve and can be paired with another dragon to make a new Pair.
To determine which dragon is injured, roll d6. If odd, the leader is injured; if even, the wingman is injured.

Going Between
Dragons can go between voluntarily or when Thread scored.
If a Pair intentionally goes between, it automatically succeeds and is placed in the destination box. No other movement is possible in that Minute.
If a dragon is Thread scored, it goes between to lessen the damage. The Pair reforms in a safe area and rejoins the fight after some time has passed.

Resupply
When a dragon needs to restore its number of possible flamings to the maximum value, the Pair leaves the fight for five minutes. After being absent for this time, it returns to fight fully supplied.

The Minute: sequence of events

1) Thread drops: Every clump of Thread still on the Threadfall sheet drops one level closer to the ground. It goes straight down, even when the Optional Drift Rule is in effect.
2) Thread enters atmosphere: Roll 2d6 to determine the number of new clumps which appear. For each clump, roll d20 and place the clump in the numbered column.
3) Dragon move and flame: The Dragonrider player moves each Pair of dragons and flames Thread. Flaming can take place at any point in the move, but a single dragon can only flame once per minute.
Regardless of the success of the flaming, record that the dragon has used one of its allotted number of flamings.

Ending the game
Threadfall lasts for six hours, which results in a maximum number of 380 Minutes of play. Players have the option to end the game at any time, as another Wing will take over the fight.
The Player loses if any Thread remains in level one at the end of a Minute. This clump will land at the beginning of the next Minute (but groundcrews will take care of it).

Optional Drift Rule: During Thread Drop phase, roll d20. The Thread in that level(row) will drift one box left or right. Roll d6 and move all Thread left if odd, right if even. After drifting, the Thread will drop as normal.

Using cards instead of dice(because not everyone has played D&D and has access to polyhedral dice)
Separate the deck into the four suits.
For d20: Using one red and one black suit, remove the face cards and shuffle them together. Red cards represent the number 1-10, black cards are 11-20.
For d6: Shuffle the face cards from the two suits used above. Red jack=1, black jack=2, red queen=3, black queen=4, red king=5, black king=6.
For d10: remove the face cards from another suit.
For d4: Use the face cards from the d10 suit and add one joker. Jack=1, queen=2, king=3, joker=4.
For 2d6: remove the ace and king from the last suit. This gives a number from 2-12. Alternatively, use the entire suit for a range of 1-13.

Optional Expanded boards
30 columns: use 3d6 or d20 to generate Thread. Place using d6 and d10 rolled together with d6 results having the following effect: 1-2 no change, 3-4 add 10 to d10 number, 5-6 add 20 to d10 number.
40 columns: left side is numbered 20 to 1 decreasing to the centre line, right numbered increasing from centre line to edge 1-20. Roll 3d6 for each side, then roll to place in the columns on that side.
Kennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12 2016, 01:49 PM   #14
BronzeRider
Glow

Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern: First Fall

Kennet, this looks like a fun game that can be set up & played quickly! Unfortunately, its tl, dr, but I copied it & will read it closely later!
BronzeRider is offline   Reply With Quote