A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Aug 25 2006, 07:01 PM   #41
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)
Default Re: Favorite item in your collection?

Thanks, Cheryl! I knew it existed, but not in what format. Now, when I've had time to recover from vacation spending....
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2006, 08:35 PM   #42
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
The term is "grahpic novel", Jube. There are also the three comics that are collected in the graphic novel. These are probably my favorite collectibles and the ones I'd be least inclined to part with, as they cross over nicely into my comic geekness. (Yes, I have the three comics, plus the graphic novel. I do not, however, have the comic version of "Smallest Dragonboy." Which irks the completist in me.)
I found mine through ABE.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2006, 11:33 PM   #43
Menderofillusions

Fan of: Freedom's, Doona, Petaybe
Now Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stien

My book club first edition hardcover of Crystal Singer. It is how my husband introduced me to Anne McCaffrey. Otherwise I would say DragonHolder the life and dreams so far. I can think of noone to more better to write a biography than her own son.
Menderofillusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2006, 02:29 AM   #44
Starchaser

My favorite is my Crystal Singer Paberbacks They are all 1st edition and Crystal Singer was my first reading of Anne. I was in high school at the time and remember thinking " If only Killashandra was real." as I fell in love with the character.
Old Dec 13 2006, 08:11 AM   #45
Jayru

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

I guess mine is my hardback (bantam edition) copy of All The Weyrs of Pern. It was the first Pern book I got on the day it came out, and the first one I read from cover to cover without stopping for trivial things like eating, sleeping etc etc. I remember reading it with such awe and admiration, and enjoyment (of course). I lent it to my brother many years ago, and he lost it. Few years later it was found again (still in mint condition, so much for me accusing him of not looking after it).Always brings back nice memories when I see it on the shelf.
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2006, 10:48 PM   #46
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Jayru!!!! {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} Good to 'see' you!
Love your story of the lost and it, thankfully, being found and still in mint condition!
Old Dec 14 2006, 04:30 PM   #47
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

"J", Glad to hear that it was found again...and safely back on your shelf...Good to see you posting again, the old place just isn't the same without you...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14 2006, 06:36 PM   #48
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

The Parable of the Prodigal Book

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15 2006, 10:20 PM   #49
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Peter, You are a tickle...for such a wise ole sage!!! I see that they didn't take out your sense of humor along with your stonesOUCH

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21 2011, 04:58 AM   #50
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

Hmm...I've got many books in my Pern collection that are special to me for one reason or another - some were lucky cheap finds at junk shops or online, some were books that I really liked and tracked down, some were bought for me as presents, and I've mentioned elsewhere the autographed "Dragonsinger" that I found for 50c - but I think my most prized book would be my paperback binding of "The White Dragon" with the Les Edwards cover.

The reason why lies back in the time when I first started reading the Pern series; I'd just finished rereading "Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher", which concerns a bond between a boy and a dragon. I decided I rather liked the concept, and began searching for more books, and in a freak coincidence, I found that my dad had bought me the Dragonflight graphic novel at a book sale. The graphic novel doesn't really do a great job of explaining things (It took me a while to realise that the blue text with [/] at either end was telepathic, and I had no idea what the hell was going on by the time I reached the mating flight) so I wasn't hooked, but I decided to give the other books a go, and so I went to my local library and checked out a few; including Dragonsong, Dragonsinger & The White Dragon, and spent the afternoon reading them on my deck.

I read Dragonsong and Dragonsinger and rather liked them, but I really got into the series when I read The White Dragon. Ruth was an amazing character, and I loved the bond between him and Jaxom. I made plans to buy the book (along with the other ones; at the same time reserving them from the library), and later obtained it as part of a bulk buy, but it wasn't the cover I had hoped for - it was the weird one where Ruth is covered with dangly bits and looks like he's missing his jaw.

A few years later though, I was browsing through my school library, and I noticed that their Pern books were missing. I knew they occasionally sold them, and so I went and asked, and it turned out that the exact edition I was looking for was amonst the books being axed, and so they let me buy it for a dollar!

I have rambled on a fair bit, but that cover takes me back to the day when I sat on my deck in the setting sun, and first read through those three library books; Dragonsong, Dragonsinger & The White Dragon.

(I'm actually glad that my copy is an ex-library book! Some of my Pern books were bought new, and I'm so scared that I'll crease them when I read them and marr them! No need to worry with the second hand ones though! It's silly, I know, but still...)
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2014, 04:04 PM   #51
Bruce
Rocksquat

Fan of: Dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Anything I can get my hands on

I like all my White Dragon items, but espically my copies of A Time When.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18 2014, 02:53 PM   #52
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Same here Bruce, mine was gifted to me by Anne herself, and signed. It is one of her non lettered or numbered copies (think she had 3, one of which was dedicated to Todd but was found by me in her office). Actually, when she gave me my copy the one with the dedication was the only one left and I asked her three times if she was sure and if she knew what these things sold for on eBay. She smiled and said she knew damn well what is was worth, that she was very sure and would not take no for an answer...

I know I said something else at the beginning of this thread but at that time I wasn't ready yet to tell this tidbit as Anne was still very much alive at the time.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18 2014, 08:18 PM   #53
Bruce
Rocksquat

Wow Hans! What a wonderful gift from Anne. I got my second copy of A Time When at last year's Worldcon. It is a cleaner copy than my first one.I traded some signed Frank Herbert books for it. I had met Frank in '78 at a bookstore in Lubbock,Tx.,while attending college. We worked out a even trade, with both parties happy. I love the fact that there are signed copies as well as what would become The White Dragon.
Old Aug 19 2014, 02:41 PM   #54
Hans
Master Archivist

Now that is quite special, too, Bruce. I loved some of Herbert's books and others did nothing for me. Strange that.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Aug 19 2014, 09:05 PM   #55
Bruce
Rocksquat

I've read the first 3 Dune book, but never could go any further. Of course, our taste change as life goes by. Besides Anne's work I read and like many other author's work as well. Too many books, so little time.
Old Aug 20 2014, 07:30 PM   #56
Dragon Fan
Selkie

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Island

OCTOBER 1967 copy of Analog, It started a whole new world!
Old Aug 21 2014, 03:06 AM   #57
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fan View Post
OCTOBER 1967 copy of Analog, It started a whole new world!
Oh YEAH!