A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Apr 9 2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree
Default Does Anybody Know...?

So I was trawling through some 2nd hand bookstores today, trying to find some HC's of Jennifer Fallon's 'Tide Lord' series. Well, I didn't find any, but I did find something else that made me very happy , and also a little confused .

It is 1st Ed. HC of Anne Rice's 'The Queen of the Damned'. I noticed it right away because I don't (didn't) own a copy. I was gobsmacked when I opened it and found that it was signed!! I know it is a genuine signature because I have some signed bookplates of hers.

Now the thing that has me stumped is something written on the copyright page. It says:

Published October 31, 1988
Second Printing Before Publication

So I am thinking that it is a 1st ed, 2nd printing. I just can't work out how there can be a 2nd printing 'before publication'?

Does anybody know under what circumstances that might happen? Or am I misinterpreting it somehow? I'm really curious about it, and would welcome anyone's thoughts on it.

Thanks!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2011, 09:57 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Does Anybody Know...?

Sounds like an advanced reading copy as issued to professional book reviewers.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

P'ter, that doesn't sound right. An ARC is always easily recognisable and it is very unusual for it to have a cover or have cover art and, more important, an indication of edition and/or printing as they don't count towards that.

Hmm...

Found this in a search on the subject as an answer to someone with the same question as Sam has:

It means the publisher went back to have more copies printed before the book was released. Probably because there were a lot more pre-publication orders than expected. The statement is not all that uncommon and, in fact, there have also been "THIRD PRINTING BEFORE PUBLICATION" books although I can't remember one right now. In any case, the book is a second printing not a first printing since the "presses stopped" and were started again for the second printing.

So no ARC but definitely printed before official publication. Still sounds silly though

Ah, found more answers and it turns out just to be what it says (duh).

It happens when a publisher has under-anticipated the sales and has alrerady made a second printing even before the first printing is being sold. It can even go up to higher print numbers and runs, depending of the pre-orders and anticipated sales.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Thanks for the info Hans. It's definately not an ARC or a PC copy etc... Like you said, it has cover art and is a HC. I figured it was a 2nd print, just not how. So the book did better then they thought it would. That makes sense in weird kind of way. I have never come across the term before (there is a lot of that going around at the moment - grangerizing, potted histories.... ), but I figured someone here would know!

It was very cool to find a signed 1st edition, even if it is 2nd printing. The only thing that could have made it better, was if it had been a Pern book! I did find a Pern book though. They had a mint copy of the Bantam 1st ed. HC of DDawn, so I upgraded my tatty copy (which just became my reading copy).
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote