A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall > Astronomy

Astronomy For the sharing of astronomical observations by our members with an interest, and pretty pictures for all to enjoy.

Old Jul 19 2009, 07:46 AM   #1
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen
Noctilucent clouds

This summer is turning out to be a very good time to discover noctilucent clouds. These are the highest clouds in the Earth's atmosphere, almost at the edge of space. Nobody knows exactly why they occur, but they seem to be about their best around Solar minimum, and this year is turning out to be particularly good. See here for some reports of cloud sitings around the world.

It is well worth keeping an eye on the western sky after sunset to see if you can spot these rare but beautiful clouds. Lanen and I saw them a few nights ago, but we didn't see them at their best. They appear as a bunch of very faint ripples suspended in the sky around sunset. But if you wait for the sky to get darker the ripples turn electric blue. We made the mistake of going to bed too early - at the latitude of Scotland they are at their best after midnight this time of the year. At lower latitudes you might be able to see them at a more reasonable time. I'm going to keep looking for the next display. Good luck!
Old Jul 19 2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Noctilucent clouds

I hadn't realized this year was an especially good year, but I have seen a lot of good pics of them lately on both the Astronomy Pic of the Day and the Earth Science PoD. They are beautiful indeed. I'll have to try looking for them in the sky instead of online!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19 2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

What a beautiful phenomenon! Though I give myself a more than small chance (due to pollution both real and light in my area) I'll certainly be looking!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19 2009, 01:39 PM   #4
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Awesome. I've seen something like that a few times, but never when I had a camera with me. At 60 N they probably won't be visible until about mid-August though...
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19 2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

The photos of these clouds are very beautiful. I'm not sure if we've seen anything exactly like them before or not. Not long ago we saw something that looked similar to two of the photos taken, but neither Martin or I are sure that they were the same type of clouds. Unforutnately like everyone else, we also had no camera handy to take photos.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2009, 12:03 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I'll be looking for these clouds for sure now! Thanks for posting Steven!!!
Old Aug 3 2009, 09:17 AM   #7
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Elizabeth and I witnessed some of these amazing clouds during our recent holiday in Orkney. Elizabeth got up just after midnight at our B&B and noticed that the sky didn't look right. There was a mysterious light coming from the north west. We went outside and saw these clouds all along the horizon:

Here is a close up:

The dark shapes along the bottom of the pictures are "normal" clouds. They look blurred because they were being carried by strong winds and moved during the long exposure. The noctilucent clouds were well above the winds and stationary in the sky.

I'm really glad we got to see these clouds at last. This blows away my theory that we couldn't see them easily from Edinburgh because we were too far north and the sky remains too light at this time of year. Orkney is much further north, but it also has the advantage of being well away from city lights.

Has anyone else seen these clouds?
Old Aug 3 2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

How wonderful that you and Elizabeth got to see the clouds! AND take pictures of them!
I haven't seen the clouds recently....it's been very hazy and cloudy since you posted about them. But I think I've seen them before. And since some of the pictures you linked to are from Spokane WA and that's only 2 hours away from where I'm located then it's a good chance that what I've seen are noctilucent clouds. And your pictures are the most similar to what I remember seeing. But I'll keep looking.
Oh, and we're due for meteor showers soon too, the Perseids, if I'm remembering correctly.
Old Aug 3 2009, 02:10 PM   #9
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Oh, and we're due for meteor showers soon too, the Perseids, if I'm remembering correctly.
Yes, that's right - on August 12th. There is a 2 year old thread about the Perseids in this sub-forum. The date is still valid. I have posted there as well.