A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > All the Rest

All the Rest One-offs, romances, fantasy novellas, short stories... If it's not in any of the above series - or it crosses the realms of multiple series - come discuss it here!

Old Feb 19 2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl
Default Who Is the Main Character of The Lady

Who is the Main Character of the Lady? I asked this question at the end of the Valentine's Quiz to get an idea of what responses would be and now I throw it out to all of you.

Generally, in writing the main character is supposed to be the one that changes the most. This doesn't have to be the point of view character, who is the one we see things happening through.

In The Lady we get POV from several characters and most of them change quite a bit from the beginning to the end. Who do you think is the main MC? Are there several? Maybe it's easier to say who isn't a MC.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: Who Is the Main Character of The Lady

Hmmmm. In making my choice I picked a Main Character that exerted the most influence on the most number of characters in the book. While it is "only" a piece of land, Cornanagh is constantly on the minds and in the hearts of many of the characters.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2009, 05:06 PM   #3
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Mine was Trina and the horses, especially Sean Doherty's horse responding better after Trina constantly working with him. I leave reasons unsaid at moment until Cheryl comes up with who got it

Pam, so what book are you going to choose in next year's event?

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Sandi

That's a harder question than it would seem at first look. There were a lot of characters and most of them were affected in one way or another by most of the things that happened. I personally felt "closer" to Catriona in that I felt more was told of her feelings and thoughts than was told about the others, except maybe Michael. Or Selina. Um. Could this be a multiple choice question?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2009, 01:16 AM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

In my opinion...I thought that most of the books story centered around Catriona...her growing up with all the changes of her body as well as those that live around her. Her natural instincts and rapport with the horses. Also her overall innate love of Corranagh. All the other character float and dance around her with their problems and concerns...but it is her that even they seem to center on in the story.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2009, 05:18 AM   #6
Lara
Whacky Wordsmith

Fan of: Pern,Petaybee,Freedom
Now Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Oops, I should have answered here, but saw first another thread that had veered on to the same theme. This is what I wrote there, with a couple of additions:

Quote:
My answer to #31 was, Equal first, Catriona and Cornanagh - though perhaps Cornanagh has a slight edge. Catriona, because it is impossible not to identify with her and love her. Cornanagh because it has such a potent effect on all those who are or become close to it.
Sometimes the effect is negative, as in the case of Catriona's unfortunate mother, and of course the thuggish Fitzroys, but mostly, people are the better for Cornanagh. It is almost a magic place, that brings out the basic good or evil in those who come there.

I think I should have said Cornanagh first, and Catriona a close second!

Old Feb 21 2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Sandi

I certainly agree that Cornanagh is an almost magical place but if the the main character is the one that changes the most, that puts it out of the running. It seemed to me that animals and people come and go but Cornanagh remains the same through the decades. Of course if the word change is defined as causing the most change to the most characters, that puts it right back on the top of the list!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote