A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Sep 18 2005, 08:00 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (2) - All the Weyrs of Pern audio recording by Anne McCaffrey

Right, with thanks to Cheryl for initiating this special Meeting of Minds feature and starting it with an immensely appropriate item it is now my turn to bring an Anne McCaffrey collectors item into the spotlight.

It is not an especially rare item but really something special that "stole my heart" because it is one of the few items that allows us to really hear our favourite author and not only read what she came up with. And among the few recordings Anne made herself this one takes a special place.
I am talking about the abridged recording on audio cassette of All the Weyrs of Pern which was published by The Publishing Mills in 1991.

The recording consists out of two audio cassettes of 90 minutes each, giving you a total of a wonderful three hours listening to Anne's unusual voice. At least, that is how I saw it. Anne's does have a special sound and let me tell you, that it is not the recording; if you ever meet her for real you will notice the special timbre in her voice right away.

The recording was published in November 1991 by a relatively small company. it is packed in a cardboard and plastic clamshell case. The cover illustration is the one by Michael Wheland also used for the book.

Why do I think this is so special. Well, Anne not only reads it herself but she reads parts of it with such feeling and such emotion that, despite the fact you know this is fiction, you are wondering if things are for real
Some of you may have heard Anne talking about Robinton's death and Aivas' shutdown. For those who have not I have put about 30 seconds worth of that scene on my site for you to listen to. The quality is bad but it does reproduce Anne's voice correctly (the first time I heard it I really thought there was something wrong with the recording) and you'll hear the emotion coming through and Anne sounding nearly in tears at the end...

Click on the following link and either chose run/play (in which case your computer will play the fragment, if you have a program installed for that - the regular Windows media player will suffice) or chose "save" to save the file to your PC and play it from there.

The same company also published an unabridged set (1996, 10 cassettes, read by Mark Rolston) which currently sells for c. $ 135.

The abridged set read by Anne is not much in evidence at Amazon but does sell for between $ 10 and $ 25. Click here for the offers on Amazon.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18 2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Collecting Highlight - All the Weyrs of Pern audio recording by Anne McCaffrey

Wow, thanks for the audio clip Hans! I've never heard it before, as I don't own a copy myself. This is going to go on my must-have list!

So, who else out there also wants this, already has it, or has no interest? Let us know!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18 2005, 12:49 PM   #3
~(_'>

Default Re: Collecting Highlight - All the Weyrs of Pern audio recording by Anne McCaffrey

I have this. It is wonderful.

~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18 2005, 10:24 PM   #4
Shazza
Inactive

Oh I got goosebumps listening to that clip. It's the one part of that book I hate the most. I cry every time. I know it is coming, exactly when it is coming but I always cry.

I see what you mean about Anne's unusual voice. There seems to be a mix of Irish brogue in with her American accent. At least that is what I seem to be hearing.
Shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2006, 04:22 PM   #5
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (2) - All the Weyrs of Pern audio recording by Anne McCaffre

Okay now I have to go and find that audio version of the book. Shazza, like you I cry every time I get to that part of the book and I cried just now when I hear Anne read it.

Edited 2/9/06...Ok so I ordered it!! Can't wait to get it and listen to the whole thing!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

Last edited by Kater; Feb 9 2006 at 11:37 AM.
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2007, 10:45 AM   #6
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (2) - All the Weyrs of Pern audio recording by Anne McCaffrey

I just ordered it from Amazon yesterday! And at a very good price, I'm shivering in excitement to listen to it!
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2007, 12:18 PM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (2) - All the Weyrs of Pern audio recording by Anne McCaffrey

Spiff - you'll love it!!! Glad that you were able to find a copy at a good price.
Old Nov 24 2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Yes, as one Pern fan to another I think you'll love it!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 24 2007, 01:41 PM   #9
BooPuppy

Glow

Fan of: Ruth of Pern

I didn't even know this audio recording existed before seeing it on the MQ2007 prize list, and my excitement knows no bounds that I will soon be able to actually hear Anne read one of my all-time favorite books!! Thanks for providing that clip, Hans, it really whets my appetite for the full experience. I've never bought anything autographed by Anne since I don't know how to protect myself from forgeries... but this... this can be trusted to not only be her voice, but her emotions and inflections and pronunciations are canon, whereas somebody else reading her books might not be "just so"; is this the only one of her works she has recorded?
BooPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (2) - All the Weyrs of Pern audio recording by Anne McCaffre

No BP, there's also an abridged version (2 cassetes) of nerilka's Story read by Anne and a vinyl LP on which she reads The White Dragon (also abridged of course).

Old Nov 25 2007, 12:52 AM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Boo, I always thought that All the Weyrs was the very best of the stories on tape, as Anne reads it so fantasticly...listen very carefully at the end when she reads about Robinton and Zair's death...but make sure you have a hanky...you'll need it. Congratulations Boopuppy!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2007, 01:36 AM   #12
BooPuppy

Glow

Thanks, Lady Maelin, and indeed I'll make sure I have a hanky handy; I always need one whenever I read that part in the book! It gets me each and every time.... and that's just the silent written words; being able to hear Anne's emotions is sure to intensify my own...
Old Nov 25 2007, 05:43 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

I know the sound quality is bad (it was taken with a computer microphone of a portable cassette player) but the part you are both talking of is the one I put up a link to in the first post of this CH

Old Nov 25 2007, 10:47 AM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, I had forgotten that you had included that little bit of the tape...it does sound quite a better on my tape than your sound bite does. I have always been so overwhelmed with emotion while listening to Anne's voice at that point...that I never noticed that the recording was less than perfect. Thank you though for putting it up so that those that don't already own one of the books tapes can at least hear her and that lovely last passage.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Nov 25 2007, 11:15 AM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

Right you are, Maelin, it's there to draw attention to this recording and for the benefit of those not (yet) owning a copy

Old Nov 25 2007, 03:17 PM   #16
BooPuppy

Glow

Yup Hans, I did listen to your clip yesterday, and certainly recognized which scene she was reading... gives me a taste of what I'm in for, thanks again for providing it, and also the info for me to look for her other recordings! I suppose eBay is my best bet there. Haven't wandered around eBay recently, it's Always a spending experience....kinda like window shopping yummy food stores when you're hungry..
Old Nov 25 2007, 05:13 PM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

There are other places on the net to shop also Boo, just look around it might even save you a few dollars compared to the ebay price...not always..but sometimes...so it's good to shop around.

Old Jan 14 2008, 10:04 AM   #18
japes

I have just followed a link to this site from 'The new kitchen table', to listen to a posted clip of Anne reading the Robinton death scene. Even that small clip had me in tears!
I was unaware of this site, but am now registered as it looks as good as the new kitchen table, where I have been a member for a few years (old KT era). so, hello folks
Old Jan 14 2008, 10:09 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Welcome Japes!

I'm sorry for the poor quality of the soundclip, I took it with the PC's microphone recording from a small cassette recorder speaker

Old Jan 14 2008, 07:22 PM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hello Japes, Glad to have you here...I don't know of anyone who can get through the reading about Robinton and Zair's deaths...without tears. Much less when you get to hear Anne reading it aloud to you!!!

Old Aug 1 2008, 05:06 PM   #21
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Hans, that was lovely. I have hear read by some other than Anne but that was great.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9 2009, 11:16 PM   #22
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series

Does anyone know where I could find a copy of the audio cassettes? I've tried searching and have had no luck.
Old Jan 10 2009, 04:27 AM   #23
Hans
Master Archivist

I trid the link to Amazon.com I originally posted in the collecting highight (bottom) and that still yields about seventeen copies for sale there, Uncicorn

Old Jan 10 2009, 11:29 PM   #24
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Thanks Hans!! I actually ordered a copy from that link after I made that post. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, because when I tried the search using the same title as given I came up with nothing. This way in case the seller doesn't actually have the item, I had another option to choose from.

I'm sure everything will be fine though, because amazon is pretty good about taking down selling info once no products are available. Thanks for your help though!! I can’t wait to receive the tapes.
Old Jan 11 2009, 01:06 AM   #25
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Well its going on my to get list. After I moved ! I listen the unabridge version years ago! I enjoy it a lot.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2009, 04:17 AM   #26
Hans
Master Archivist

Unicorn, my experiences with both regular buying from Amazon and through it from third parties are very good.

Ginny, you should order this right away. It's really special having Anne herself read this story to you (even in an abridged version) and the only cassette you reguarly see offered. The other, Nerilka's Story, is much rarer and usually much more expensive.

Last edited by Hans; Jan 12 2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typing errors
Old Jan 12 2009, 11:05 AM   #27
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Thanks Hans!! I just wanted to ask since I was just a little concerned that I couldn't come up with any search results for the audio tape other than the link you provided.

I can't wait for the tape to arrive!! I hope its before my semester starts that way I can listen without worrying about all that come along with college classes, .
Old Jan 12 2009, 02:36 PM   #28
Hans
Master Archivist

It is really worth it Unicorn, and keep of a box of leenex handy when Anne is reading of Robinton's death

Old Jan 12 2009, 08:00 PM   #29
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Awww!! I certainly will. I cry everytime I read that part... I can't imagine what it's going to be like hearing Anne herself read it.
Old Jan 13 2009, 10:10 AM   #30
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Anne has an amazing voice and I'd love to hear her read an entire book, heck the entire Pern series!!! But having this bit will do. And a tissue or three or five is most definitely a requirement. Very very moving!!!!
Old Jan 13 2009, 11:45 PM   #31
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Uni...your in for a real treat...just make sure your sitting down when you start your tape...hearing Anne like this for the first time can cause a lump in your throat and a weakness in the knees....and tissues are a must. Enjoy!!!

Old Jun 14 2017, 10:46 AM   #32
justbeingme
Darbul

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Masterharper of Pern

There are audiobooks narrated by Anne herself??!! this is definitely the most exciting news of the day. Especially All the Weyrs of Pern, which has always been one of my favorites. is this just available on cassette or could I also get it on vinyl or CD?
justbeingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2017, 06:53 AM   #33
Hans
Master Archivist

This one is only available on cassette.

There is one LP album on which Anne reads part of the White Dragon.

There is also one other story on cassette read by Anne herself: Nerilka's Story (like AtWoP 2 cassettes).

I do have an extra copy of the AtWoP set but unfortunately that's not one of the items I can offer for free because I paid good money for it myself