A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Crystal Singer and Brainships

Old Jul 30 2008, 10:30 AM   #41
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Ballybran

Not a chance!

There's a whole universe out there, and Singing isn't the only career that allows you to travel. Why risk being stranded on a planet with godawful weather, a monoculture ecosystem, and subservience to obnoxious Singers for not just one lifespan, but several?

Nah, not for me. I'll take my single lifetime, questionable-but-present fertility, and either sign up as a Brawn (the CS and Brainship universes do have some overlap, after all) or find some other career that involves travel.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31 2008, 03:06 AM   #42
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

In the later books Lars open it to other. I well have to think on it and get back to you. I do know.
I do not have perfect pitch.

By the way here an idea what about being a BB ship. During that time in FSP?
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2008, 01:45 AM   #43
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

well, I'm definitely crazy enough, and can usually perceive tone and difference from it, but not capable on production. if it IS a trick between mind and ear, likely to be capable of doing the job. However being told ya can't leave once there, and no kids EVER. big downchecks. in that timeline/universe I think I'd prefer to be on an Archeology & Exploration team.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2008, 12:52 PM   #44
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

ANoher thing to think about (that hjust came to mind) all this sensitivity isn't always good. My eyesight, while being totally rubbish in most ways is extremely sensitive to light changes- great for some things, but just try walking outside...
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2008, 01:31 PM   #45
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I find that if I go out into bright sunlight I HAVE to sneeze a few times! (So do some cats!)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29 2008, 02:13 AM   #46
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
ANoher thing to think about (that hjust came to mind) all this sensitivity isn't always good. My eyesight, while being totally rubbish in most ways is extremely sensitive to light changes- great for some things, but just try walking outside...
How true, edith, just going off line and seen your and P'ter replay

I was outside to day and its was going from gray, with rain, muggy to very bright sun, which make my sight be more rubish. I can see cars like that look like a J to me. Yeck

My hearing is sometime not the best, I have hearing aids but if they get wet I'm sunk. I need to depend more and more on what I hear now then before.

Just like early, Smokey one of our cats jumped up and tip over the reading lamp I am using to see to read the screen, it end up on my head (I'm OK, feeling like I was knock silly for a bit), I stoped it one handed, had to call DJ for help to keep it from falling on the floor. "sigh"

G'night
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2016, 02:29 AM   #47
Kalta
Darbul

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Killashandra

Crystal Singers do have to use special contact lenses when they travel to cope with the different brightnesses/colors. I'm not sure if I would want to be a Crystal Singer. I don't want kids so that would be okay, but I just want to homestead, I don't care 'bout lots of money/travel. And you can't really homestead on Ballybran, just ain't safe. Besides, I'm not big on having a 'boss' like the Heptite Guild. Optheria might be worthwhile place to live as a homesteader with the Elders gone...of course if I lived in the time period with Crystal Singers, I doubt there'd be much homesteading going on anywhere, so I might not care about that. And I don't know if I have perfect pitch...
Kalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2016, 10:04 AM   #48
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

I always wear a hat with a brim and glasses that darken in bright light. That's going to look weird in Wellington in the wintertime but the brimmed hat is designed to stay on schoolchildren, so it's the only one that will stay on in Wellington's infamous gusty cross-winds. I'm not chasing a cap up the main street in the wind.

And no, I don't think I would want to be a crystal singer. I think I'd rather belong to one of the Pernese craft halls. Probably weavercrafthall, if that encompasses all the thread and fabric crafts.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2016, 09:03 PM   #49
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalta View Post
Crystal Singers do have to use special contact lenses when they travel to cope with the different brightnesses/colors. I'm not sure if I would want to be a Crystal Singer. I don't want kids so that would be okay, but I just want to homestead, I don't care 'bout lots of money/travel. And you can't really homestead on Ballybran, just ain't safe. Besides, I'm not big on having a 'boss' like the Heptite Guild. Optheria might be worthwhile place to live as a homesteader with the Elders gone...of course if I lived in the time period with Crystal Singers, I doubt there'd be much homesteading going on anywhere, so I might not care about that. And I don't know if I have perfect pitch...
Many,Many, Planets out there, you could homestead on any number of them! Carving out your own Kingdom !
Old Jun 3 2016, 03:34 PM   #50
Aquila
Muskie

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Caron's Ark, by Rick Gauger

I'm brand new to the form. I have read everything Anne McCaffrey has written and published about BallyBran. Would I go? Yes, however I am not sure I would have went in my 20s, not having perfect pitch. However, now that I am in my 50s, heavens yes. Think of the health aspect. Plus, sailing the seas. Hang gliding farming ect. With the money to do those things I enjoy on my time off. You bet, no question about it.
Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4 2016, 10:48 AM   #51
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalta View Post
Oh, no doubt there'll be plenty of places to homestead in the universe. I'm just not sure that would apply to someone who doesn't want children. Pioneer societies are always big on large families, because the kids can be put to work as soon as they can walk.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote