A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Crystal Singer and Brainships

Old Nov 27 2004, 02:59 AM   #1
Shani

Default Favourite Brawn?

Who's your favourite Brawn and why?

I kinda like Channa, she's dealing with a difficult partner in the first place and then some uninvited guests add confusion to the mix. THEN to add insult to injury the Pirates show up! Love how she manages to handle each disaster.
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 09:42 PM   #2
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Re: Favourite Brawn?

Alex.

I don't know if it's because he fell in love with Tia's personality, "knowing" there was no future in it, yet planning for the long haul.... or because of how he handled it all.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 05:09 AM   #3
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Alex. I love the way the story ended, how Tia was able to give him her (cybernetic) body after all, and thus consummate their love.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 12:14 PM   #4
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

I hate to say it, but I think Alex is my favorite too, but I was always intreigued by Chria Chance.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 12:50 PM   #5
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Chria! Yes, I'd love to know more about her background, how she ended up at the Academy, her life with Neil and Pol.
Old Nov 28 2004, 03:41 PM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Definitely Alex.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 07:23 PM   #7
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
Definitely Alex.

But Cheryl, you didn't say WHY Alex is your favorite!
Old Nov 29 2004, 08:09 PM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

He seems like a fun guy and most of the other brawns annoy me.
Old Nov 29 2004, 10:00 PM   #9
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
He seems like a fun guy and most of the other brawns annoy me.
That's a good reason.... The ones who annoyed me the most were all in PARTNERSHIP.......
Old Nov 29 2004, 11:22 PM   #10
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I hope you mean Caleb, AnnMarie--I think he was DESIGNED to annoy! But I have a soft spot for Forister, Nancia's 'temporary' brawn.

Favorite, though...probably Channa, though I do like Alex, and Keff...oh, heck, I like most of them. And I agree with Pam and Granath, there's a story with Chria Chance waiting to be told!
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 11:26 PM   #11
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth
I hope you mean Caleb, AnnMarie--I think he was DESIGNED to annoy! But I have a soft spot for Forister, Nancia's 'temporary' brawn.

Favorite, though...probably Channa, though I do like Alex, and Keff...oh, heck, I like most of them. And I agree with Pam and Granath, there's a story with Chria Chance waiting to be told!
Forister wasn't too bad...but yeah, Caleb.... I just wanted to kick him in the region where his balls should have been!
Old Nov 30 2004, 12:46 AM   #12
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
That's a good reason.... The ones who annoyed me the most were all in PARTNERSHIP.......
That whole book annoyed me. The characters and plot all felt pretty one-dimensional. I'm similarly annoyed by portions of the first two Acorna books, so I've chalked it up to Margaret Ball who was the co-author of all three.
Old Nov 30 2004, 05:25 AM   #13
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
That whole book annoyed me. The characters and plot all felt pretty one-dimensional. I'm similarly annoyed by portions of the first two Acorna books, so I've chalked it up to Margaret Ball who was the co-author of all three.
Yes. I never got further than the first Acorna for that reason, and PartnerShip is far and away my least favorite BB book. I plain don't like Margaret Ball's writing.
Old Nov 30 2004, 12:35 PM   #14
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

I think I liked PartnerShip because Nancia is probably a more typical Brainship than most of the ones we run into, except maybe Simeon and Carialle. It's nice to run into one who isn't so confident, or super-talented, or an anomally like Tia. Whereas SwSearched, I'm just not interested in/don't care about the whole archaeology/EsKay plot, so it doesn't matter to be what happens regarding a major character goal. (Maybe because I know how mindbogglingly dull real archaeology can be.) Helva, probably more style than anything, but I have a hard time identifying with her. I recognize it as a good book, but I can't get emotionally involved that deeply. I love "The City Who Fought", which is odd as "The Ship Avenged" is the only one I can't even finish, so it can't be Stirling that I'm liking, but I recognize that for the average Anne reader it's probably really gorey and violent.

Wouldn't know on Acorna. The farthest I've made it into ANY other Anne series than Pern or Brainships is halfway through the second Freedom book, which I put down midway and never went back. Couldn't finish "The Rowan", couldn't finish either of the "Planet Pirates" that I tried, never made it past the dust flaps on the others.
Old Nov 30 2004, 02:46 PM   #15
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Wow, Anareth! Is not being able to get through books common for you in general, or just with a lot of Anne's books?

It's very rare for me to not get through a book, even if I'm not particularly enjoying it. Somehow I learned growing up that you have to finish a book, just like you have to clean your plate. Now that I'm an adult I'm working on curing myself of both "have to"s.

Hmm, I think I feel a topic for Beyond Anne McCaffrey coming on!
Old Nov 30 2004, 07:58 PM   #16
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Usually, I can finish, and generally in two days or less, unless I'm reading two or three books at once (which I frequently am--it's taken me a week to get through "Tailchaser's Song", but I took yesterday to read "One Knight Only".) Though I'm getting less and less patient the more I write myself--if a book isn't holding my interest, I just move on to bigger and better things. It got to the point this summer I wasn't reading any fiction at all--every time I picked up a fantasy or SF novel and saw the same trite plots and hokey character names staring back at me I couldn't do it. So I stuck to cookbooks.

Anne has a pretty bad track record with me, though--Pern and Brain/Brawn are basically it (plus "The Lady.") Whereas, with, say, Misty Lackey, I can read almost anything of hers (except the car-racing-elves thing, but I don't like elves.) But then with Anne, the ones I do like, I like obsessively. (You'd never guess, huh.) I don't reread ALL the Pern books (I skimmed through ATWOP and SoP while working on the herbarium and midway through SoP I realized, "Wow, I forgot how much I really didn't enjoy this book") but the ones I do reread I reread a LOT.
Old Feb 24 2005, 03:27 PM   #17
Saphirdrache
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Lunzie, Freedom etc
Now Reading: Uller Uprising

Forister Armontillado-y-Medoc is without a doubt, my favourite Brawn. It's that traditional attitude he has and his personality, the romance and respect he pays Nancia that i find so compelling. There's not enough of those kind walking around, and there should be many more. And i will say, a very happy occassion that i have found one for myself.

Last edited by Saphirdrache; Feb 26 2005 at 03:10 PM.
Saphirdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2005, 04:38 PM   #18
orangerider
Inactive

Hmm, no votes for Keff yet. Well he's my favorite. Unlike the other brain/brown teams who all seem to get somewhat romantically involved eventually, he seems to have a great platonic relationship with Carialle in which both depend on and respect each other. I also like Channa and Alex, and Kira, one of Helva's temporaries. She was probably one of the more interesting ones. And I agree, there should be a story on Chria Chance.
orangerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27 2005, 08:23 AM   #19
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangerider
Hmm, no votes for Keff yet. Well he's my favorite. Unlike the other brain/brown teams who all seem to get somewhat romantically involved eventually, he seems to have a great platonic relationship with Carialle in which both depend on and respect each other.
I'm you, Orangerider! I loved the interplay and various dynamics between Keff and Carialle. You could tell they'd been together a long time and had really developed as individuals with one another.

Plus he sounds like a bit of a hottie.
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2005, 07:05 AM   #20
Jolèt
Inactive

I loved Alex also because he fell in love with Tia's personality; but the relationship between Helva and her 'first love' Jennan was also beautiful to me. but i'll stick with alex...
Jolèt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2 2006, 01:17 AM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

My most favorite Brawn is Niall Parollan, he is a smart, loyal, tough, charismatic and a very entertaining man who will go to any and all lengths for the person he loves...Helva. Their story is the best one that Anne has ever written in my opinion......and I wish that she would have written several more adventures for them to go on together, traveling to the Horsehead Nebula and back again, I just love it, I never get tired of reading it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2 2006, 03:08 PM   #22
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Parollan is good!
I don't really have a favourite. Can't stand Caleb- but then you're not meant to!
There is one more Helva story that I know of- but Parollan isn't there-really! It's set just after he's died!
It's in 1 of the short story collections. I keep thinking Legends 2 but that might just be that I read it last year when I read Legends 2.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3 2006, 08:19 PM   #23
Brenda

I think you're remembering "The Ship that Returned" in Far Horizons, an anthology edited by Robert Silverberg.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5 2006, 03:30 PM   #24
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

That's it!!!
I borrowed the anthology from the library over a year ago now!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6 2006, 02:58 AM   #25
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

There is one more story with Parollan, "Honeymoon" in Get Off The Unicorn. Parollan's an interesting person, but I just like Alex better. I guess Niall's too promiscuous for my taste, and bragging about his conquests makes it worse.
Old Jul 26 2008, 10:07 PM   #26
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Well, I haven't read all the brain/brawn stories yet; I just got started in...

But so far, I'd have to say Alex because he is everything one could want in a partner. I lkove how he respects Tia, and calls her "my lovely lady" all the time. I love how he swore himself into her service on Ted. E. Bear. I love how he fell in love with her personality, and saw the person inside the equipment. I love his flying skills, and the fact that he practices Tai Chi (so do I). sHe seems to a bit of looker too, and thazt's always helpful!

To say that I relate to Tia and would definitely be understating the case. To work with someone like Alex would send me over the moon! He's about equal with my own "brawn"
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27 2008, 02:01 PM   #27
Brenda

Keff has a lot going for him too.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28 2008, 12:44 PM   #28
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Weyrlady...I am just now re-reading again about Tia and ALex and I am really enjoying this read even more than the first time. I have to admit that I also really love this pair. I am also enjoying Alex and his non-conformist ways. I have to chuckle everytime I read the parts where Tia sends her servo's in to clean up the mess in his cabin. I believe that these two were more involved on the normal human friendship level, than I think any of the others were. That probably was due to how Tia came into her shell...and ALex personal shell friend when he was growing up. For these two, they grew up wonderfully open without any of the strange uncomfortable feelings or having to get use to each other differences... that many of the ships and brawns felt about each other, when they first partnered up.

Brenda...I really half to agree with you...Keff did indeed have a lot going for him...and he was extreemly charming in his knightly role with Cari. I also realy loved re-reading their story....but then again as everyone knows...I love the ship books...all of them!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote