A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 21 2007, 04:59 AM   #1
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!
Default Re: Whats for Dinner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynth View Post
That is such a beautiful picture. My sentiments exactly. I would just add a couple of dogs laying beside the fire, some contented sheep out on the countryside and it would be perfect.
LOL Dogs come as standard with me - so much so that I neglected to add them as I assumed they'd be there already
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Cynth
Inactive

Fan of: Planet Pirates
Now Reading: Alternative Care For Ruminants - Dr. Dettloff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget2 View Post
LOL Dogs come as standard with me - so much so that I neglected to add them as I assumed they'd be there already
aaah...a man after my own heart..too bad you are gay!!! lol
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

LOL Too bad for you maybe .... I love it

I've always loved dogs. The first I remember was a golden retriever we had when I was small called Toby. He died when he was about .... 16 (the day before my primary school photo day) and my mum had to bury him in the garden on her own (my dad was away) before any of us came down for breakfast.

I currently have 3 dogs who live in France with my parents - Sophie who is a black and tan mongrel (her kennel club certificate describes her as a German Shepherd cross, but god knows where it is LOL) and deaf, blind and old. Then there is Polly, a liver and white Springer Spaniel who is completely mad and incredibly sweet. She is an ex-gundog, but her previous owner wasn't that nice to her so we ended up keeping her (I can say that as the previous owner was one of my brothers). The 3rd is Polly's daughter, Daphne. She is .... 3 I think, and one of the cutest springer-cross-mongrels ever known to man. Somewhere I have a pic .... Can I just insert a photo here? I never know how this works ...

(I know that link works for me, but please do let me know if its all crazy LOL)
Old Nov 23 2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

That doesn't work, Gidget, asks you to login.

You need to use the IMG code in here, which enables you to post pictures.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Oh my Peach Pie was YUMMMMMMM fantastic...as was the rest of the dinner...I love cooking Holiday meals...and this one is at the top of the list for *Best All Around* Feast...Yeah!!!!

Gidge, can hardly wait to see you friendly *Fur Faces* just open up a free *Photobucket account...if I can do it anyone can...and it's fun to have your favorite photos handy....to show around to internet friends.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2007, 10:19 PM   #6
Deb
Inactive

Fan of: Pern of course!!
Now Reading: The Portrait of Dorian Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
That doesn't work, Gidget, asks you to login.

....um.....it worked fine for me!!

BTW, very cute pic of a VERY cute pup!!
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2007, 12:40 AM   #7
BooPuppy
Inactive

Fan of: Ruth of Pern

I got the "you must log in to see this page" page, too... wanted to see the cute puppy!
BooPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2007, 08:22 AM   #8
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
LOL Easy for you to say!

Have taken Lady M's suggestion to heart and now have a Photobucket album! Whoo hoo!

Photobucket Album

So far have just the 3 pics in it - Daphne in the washbasket, Kitty (as named by my niece when she was 4!) asleep on the sofa, and also Cassie who I forgot off my list last time as she isn't technically *my* dog - she is my partners Jack Russel. She has major allergies and the plastic collar is pretty much permanent (apart from walks and supervised cuddles!). But she is too, too pretty to not show!

I will add some pics of Sophie and Polly soon!

(Sorry about the Facebook link before!)
Old Nov 26 2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Cynth
Inactive

Quote:
LOL Too bad for you maybe .... I love it
Yes, Gidget, very much too bad for me...seems to be the way of things.
In any case, I am very glad for you and that you are so happy.

Between my sister, (who is happily a lesbian with an incredible partner) and myself, we have 6 dogs. Each of whom are different and unique individuals.

This has inspired me to open an account with photobucket as well... so here goes, hope the link below works...

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff14/CynthT1/
Old Nov 26 2007, 03:01 PM   #10
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Yes, Gidget, very much too bad for me...seems to be the way of things.
Awwww shucks I didn't mean anything by that

Quote:
Each of whom are different and unique individuals.
Well of course they do. Whoever would suggest that they don't????

The link works fine (for me at any rate). What a beautiful selection of dogs! I have to say that Cari and Molly look as though they are just waiting for some mischief!!

Were all those ducklings out of the one hatching, or were you using the mother to incubate various other clutches too? My mother inherited a duck from some friends who moved back to England and she often went broody so my mother managed to get her to hatch out some chicken eggs.

Unfortunately this September Cassie, my partner's dog, was visiting (a month long holiday for the dog and us - even if it meant a 12-ish hour long drive each way!) and she ...... well, one of the chickens became tail-less, and the duck is no more. Say a prayer for Ducker (named once again by a young niece!).

Whereabouts are you based, Cynth (other than BC!)? And where's the shot of you???

Oh, and, uh,
Old Nov 26 2007, 05:17 PM   #11
Cynth
Inactive

Quote:
Awwww shucks I didn't mean anything by that
That's Ok...I'm working on changing my situation.

Quote:
Well of course they do. Whoever would suggest that they don't????

The link works fine (for me at any rate). What a beautiful selection of dogs! I have to say that Cari and Molly look as though they are just waiting for some mischief!!
I have always had dogs in my life, always. My Dad raised Black labs for hunting and would tell stories about me climbing all over the dogs and pulling their tails or hair when I was a wee baby.
Since then I have had many different breeds of dogs in my life and have taken lots of courses/training in various techniques for working with dogs, i.e. obedience, hunting, herding, agility, guard, security and police dog, etc.
Now, as you can tell, my oldest is doing wonderful things with her breed of choice.

Molly is actually the laziest dog you could ever meet, she certainly does not behave like a typical Border Collie, more like a couch potato. Other than being cute, she is of no use on the farm.

Cari is very shy and has separation anxiety problems if I have to leave her to go away from home to work, but she is an absolute whiz around the agility course. Lots of fun!

Quote:
Were all those ducklings out of the one hatching, or were you using the mother to incubate various other clutches too? My mother inherited a duck from some friends who moved back to England and she often went broody so my mother managed to get her to hatch out some chicken eggs.
We raise Muscovy ducks. I just keep the eggs until someone gets broody and then put about 20 eggs under the duck. We had 3 very successful hatchings within a couple of days of each other.

Ducklings don't really need their mom, if the weather is good and these were born in the summer, so for easier management I put them all with the 1 momma for a couple of weeks.

It is a common farm practice to put different eggs under broody ducks or chickens, whichever is most convenient at the time. It works well and they never seem to mind.

Quote:
Unfortunately this September Cassie, my partner's dog, was visiting (a month long holiday for the dog and us - even if it meant a 12-ish hour long drive each way!) and she ...... well, one of the chickens became tail-less, and the duck is no more. Say a prayer for Ducker (named once again by a young niece!).
Awww...that's very sad but I know it happens. It is instinctual.

Quote:
Whereabouts are you based, Cynth (other than BC!)? And where's the shot of you???
I'm in the Gulf Islands, situated in the Georgia Strait between the City of Vancouver and the big island, Vancouver Island. (Otherwise known as the "Hawaiian Islands" of Canada)

Sorry, I have no current photos of myself and did not want to post an old one because I have recently lost about 40 lbs, so although I am not really very vane, I would still prefer to post a newer picture of myself. I will see if I can get my daughter to take one when she gets home.

BTW - in case anyone is interested, I was born in 1959 and I'm a young grandmother of 48!

Quote:
Oh, and, uh,
Yes we are very much off topic...hmmm...should we start a new thread on the subject of dogs? or ducks? or animals we love? or people we love? or sexual orientation???
Old Nov 27 2007, 04:08 PM   #12
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
That's Ok...I'm working on changing my situation.
Now that sounds like there's a story there ..... not that I am an advocate for airing dirty laundry in public, but if you have a tale to share then I would be more than willing to listen (and share some of my own!).

Quote:
I have always had dogs in my life, always. My Dad raised Black labs for hunting and would tell stories about me climbing all over the dogs and pulling their tails or hair when I was a wee baby.
LOL Now that sounds familiar!! When I was young we had a golden retriever called Toby who I was just totally nuts about. The only time I ever heard him bark was when I snuck up on him and shouted his name in his ear. Yeah, not clever. My only defense is that I was 5 or 6 at the time. I went off crying to my mother and told her what happened and she promptly told me that Toby was quite right to bark at me and hoped I had learnt my lesson! Which I clearly did! Unfortunately he passed away at around 16 the day before my school photos (I feel that I've told this story before so am going to stop now LOL ....)

Quote:
Now, as you can tell, my oldest is doing wonderful things with her breed of choice.
I did see the photo of her receiving her award! You must have been so proud! I have to say that your 2 daughters there are incredibly beautiful young woman. I don't know why exactly I have to say that, but I thought that you might like to hear it from an unbiased source!

At the moment one of my elder brothers (I have 3 - am youngest of 4 boys which made my mum perfectly happy) is working with 2 black labs of his own (mother and daughter). A breeder he knows rescued a black lab that was being abused (he had sold the dog as a pup to this person and when he found out what conditions she was being kept in went crazy and got her back), and asked my brother if he would train her back up for shooting with - free of charge, but if she ever had pedigree pups then he would have the pups. So my brother has worked amazing wonders with Tess - who is now a fantastic and loving animal who wants to work for her 'owner' and make him happy. The daughter, btw, is called Flo and she is more of a pet than a working dog, but she has her moments!

Quote:
We raise Muscovy ducks.
I was going to ask if the mother was a Muscovy, but for some reason felt certain that it wasn't!

Quote:
Awww...that's very sad but I know it happens. It is instinctual.
Oh yeah, of course. You can't blame a dog that has never been in that situation before for doing what comes naturally - and have a duck who is used to dogs who are blase about it and therefore has no fear of them! It was an irony really as one of the reasons we took Cass with us was to see if the change of environment would help with her skin condition (which I think would have done wonders for her had we stayed 3 months and not just the 1!) and could have her collar off. With her collar on she couldn't fit between the bars of the gates, but in this instance she was behaving so well without it on she became unsupervised and managed to slip through!

Quote:
I'm in the Gulf Islands, situated in the Georgia Strait between the City of Vancouver and the big island, Vancouver Island. (Otherwise known as the "Hawaiian Islands" of Canada)
Wow. I have just done a bit of Googling and the Gulf Islands look beautiful! Well done to Parks Canada for making it into National Park! Does that interfere at all with your hunting/farming lifestyle? (I don't know if I should explain here that although I live in what is considered South London now, in fact I am a country boy through and through and understand about farming and how the countryside actually works - as opposed to city folk who move into the country and think that they can apply the same rules and wonder why it all goes to hell in a handcart.)

I was surprised to read that it has such a Mediterranean climate. In my ignornace I guess that I have (HAD!) a stereotyped image of Canadian weather patterns, so I apologise to you

Quote:
Sorry, I have no current photos of myself and did not want to post an old one because I have recently lost about 40 lbs, so although I am not really very vane, I would still prefer to post a newer picture of myself. I will see if I can get my daughter to take one when she gets home.
LOL I was just messing. Congratulations on your weight loss (assuming that it was for good reasons and not anything badly serious!). I am really bad at keeping my pics up to date! Before I got the pic of me at my brother's wedding last year, I think the most recent digital pic I had of me was from 2003. I don't think vanity really comes into it - for me it's a case of priorities and that isn't top of my list! Incidentally, if you ever wonder where your 40lbs went to - I think I can claim them!

Quote:
BTW - in case anyone is interested, I was born in 1959 and I'm a young grandmother of 48!
My mother had to wait until she was in her late 50s before she became a biological grandmother (she obtained a step-grandaughter a few years previously). Luckily I have 3 brothers to provide her with grandchildren!

Quote:
Yes we are very much off topic...hmmm...should we start a new thread on the subject of dogs? or ducks? or animals we love? or people we love? or sexual orientation???
We could call nicely to a host to do some clever snipping and create a new Thread for us. Some kind of Rambling Anonymous type of Thread!! Until then I'm comfortable right here! (Unless you're not .....)

Last edited by Gidget2; Nov 27 2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old Nov 27 2007, 04:38 PM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: About dogs, ducks and other important things in life

Gidge, your wish is my command, you know that. But I changed the title If you don't like it let me know and I'll change it to preference

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 27 2007, 04:39 PM   #14
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

You are too good to me, Hans! Thank you very much!

No, the title pretty much sums it all up nicely!!
Old Nov 27 2007, 04:48 PM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

You are very welcome!

Oh, btw I love all the pictures, Cynth, Gidge... and Gidge, a Misty Lackey fan too? Geez do I like any things you do not?

Oh hang on , I know one thing

Old Nov 27 2007, 04:59 PM   #16
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Oh, btw I love all the pictures, Cynth, Gidge... and Gidge, a Misty Lackey fan too? Geez do I like any things you do not?

Oh hang on , I know one thing
You, Mr. Hans, are on thin ice

Ummm. If you are referring to my Photobucket User Name then there is a story there.

Many years ago, near to when I first moved to France in 2000, I became friends with a young lady who lived in Arkansas, and for some reason after a discussion one evening about writing and character names and things, she came up with the name of Ashke Jesson, which I adopted as a handy moniker for sites I needed a User Name for. At that time I had no idea whatsoever that it was a name that cropped up in ML's work. The only ML I had ever read were the works she had produced with Anne.

I don't think that it was until I was at the NKT that it was remarked upon for one reason or another.

I still use Ashke as a UserName on some sites, and admit that I haven't yet read any of the books by ML. But since Hans reccomends them so highly I think that I should raid my local library ..........
Old Nov 27 2007, 05:34 PM   #17
Cynth
Inactive

Wow! This is too cool!!! Thanks Hans
Old Nov 27 2007, 06:25 PM   #18
Cynth
Inactive

Quote:
Now that sounds like there's a story there ..... not that I am an advocate for airing dirty laundry in public, but if you have a tale to share then I would be more than willing to listen (and share some of my own!).
No dirty laundry here.
It's all good...I have my eye on someone and I noticed recently his eye on me...I won't make the first move, but I feel (with my Talent, too) it is just a matter of time...so I'm trying very hard to be patient.

Quote:
LOL Now that sounds familiar!! When I was young we had a golden retriever called Toby who I was just totally nuts about. The only time I ever heard him bark was when I snuck up on him and shouted his name in his ear. Yeah, not clever. My only defense is that I was 5 or 6 at the time. I went off crying to my mother and told her what happened and she promptly told me that Toby was quite right to bark at me and hoped I had learnt my lesson! Which I clearly did! Unfortunately he passed away at around 16 the day before my school photos (I feel that I've told this story before so am going to stop now LOL ....)
16 is a long life for a golden. They are such wonderful dogs. I have had a couple of them myself. My favorite dog ever, was a cross between a golden and a doberman, she was fantasic! I rescued her as a pup from the humane society. Best dog I have ever had so far. She died at 14, when Kas was about 5.

I have been pleasantly surprized with the Aussie we have, because the dog and Rowan are best buds...Rowan calls her his little sister...too cute...and they will play for hours. Rowan is a real rough and tumble kind of boy, so he is not gentle with the dog, but she seems to just love it. It's great to see the bond they have!

Quote:
I did see the photo of her receiving her award! You must have been so proud! I have to say that your 2 daughters there are incredibly beautiful young woman. I don't know why exactly I have to say that, but I thought that you might like to hear it from an unbiased source!
I am extremely proud of both my daughters. They have both had many amazing achievements already in their lives...If I am going to keep talking about them, I think I should give them each a name for reference...hmmm...

The Brunette (22) shall be "Kas", she's the mother of my grandson (almost 5), "Rowan".

The Blonde (16) shall be "Randa", she actually has bright orange hair at the moment but I don't have a picture of it yet.

Thank you for the compliment...I agree they are both gorgeous and also very independent & intelligent young women. Of course, I am not biased at all!

Quote:
... my brother has worked amazing wonders with Tess - who is now a fantastic and loving animal who wants to work for her 'owner' and make him happy.
It is amazing what some positive attention can accomplish with an abused animal...I have noticed it works that way with children, too. Consistency, love and honesty.

Quote:
I was going to ask if the mother was a Muscovy, but for some reason felt certain that it wasn't!
Yes it is a Muscovy...I only have Muscovy (blacks, browns and white), no other ducks or poultry, at this time.
Not sure if you know this or not, but Muscovy were originally developed by the Incas and are not related to any other kind of duck. All other ducks are Mallard derived. Muscovy are distant cousins. They can breed with each other but their offspring are sterile.

Randa raised Porcelain Bantam Chickens in 4-H this year but sold them all to a collector in September.

Quote:
Wow. I have just done a bit of Googling and the Gulf Islands look beautiful! Well done to Parks Canada for making it into National Park! Does that interfere at all with your hunting/farming lifestyle?
Not all the Gulf Islands are a National Park. I live in the Southern Gulf Islands, of which there are 7. We do have a Park that is still maintained as a working heritage farm, which is very special. Not sure how long that will last, though.

We are constantly fighting to keep farming viable here. We are being over run by tourists and the government sees more of future in tourism than in agriculture, so it is a struggle.

At present, I am involved in the local farmers group trying to work with the new government meat inspection regulations. It is quite a mess and over 50% of our small livestock producers have quit because of the regs. I compiled the data from the islands farming community. Very sad. I hang in there just out of pure stubbornness and determination to have the right to grow and eat my own food.

My Dad hunts in Northern Ontario, not BC. I am just looking into taking a Firearms Safety course and am interested in learning how to use a cross-bow.

Hunting is mostly restricted to deer around the islands, not much else to go after except livestock predators. Hunting is a problem here because there are too many people around and most do not approve, even though the deer get sick, infested and diseased because of over population and lack of food. Due to the incredible amount of development now taking place in the islands, the deer are rapidly loosing their habitat and it is sad to watch them die in such a horrible way.

The same goes for fishing...so many houses are built along the lakes with their sewage and pollution leaking into the water that it is not advisable to even swim in the lakes, let alone eat anything that might still survive.

Not sure what the answer is, but as a child I watched this happen in SW Ontario and am now seeing it unfold in much the same way here. It makes me very sad.

The BC government promotes the province as "Beautiful BC" and it is, but in my opinion, they are not doing a very good job of protecting it and keeping it that way.

Quote:
I was surprised to read that it has such a Mediterranean climate. In my ignornace I guess that I have (HAD!) a stereotyped image of Canadian weather patterns, so I apologise to you
Yeah, no problem...I hate the cold...brrrr, which is why I moved here many years ago, from Ontario. It is the warmest I can be without leaving the country! lol

Quote:
LOL I was just messing. Congratulations on your weight loss (assuming that it was for good reasons and not anything badly serious!). I don't think vanity really comes into it - for me it's a case of priorities and that isn't top of my list! Incidentally, if you ever wonder where your 40lbs went to - I think I can claim them!
No - The weight loss was needed and I am not done yet but very proud of what I have accomplished already. The weight gain was due to depression from my breakup with Randa's Dad. I am finally over that and ready to move on, hence the feeling better about myself and losing weight. I am very happy about it.

Quote:
My mother had to wait until she was in her late 50s before she became a biological grandmother (she obtained a step-grandaughter a few years previously). Luckily I have 3 brothers to provide her with grandchildren!
I bet your Mom is glad of that too! Grandchildren are awesome.
Rowan was an "accident" of two teenagers, but we can't imagine life without him. He is a shining example of what caring people in a community can do. Now there's an amazing story, that I will go into some day but don't have the time for right now. The theme of the story is "It takes a community to raise a child." (perhaps another thread?)

Hey, I seem to have rambled on a lot here...What about you? Do you work at something that inspires you? Are there reasons for why you are not living in the country anymore?

Quote:
We could call nicely to a host to do some clever snipping and create a new Thread for us. Some kind of Rambling Anonymous type of Thread!! Until then I'm comfortable right here! (Unless you're not .....)
What great service!!
Does Hans provide a mug of hot chocolate and a comfy couch too?

Last edited by Cynth; Nov 28 2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: expanded on comments
Old Nov 28 2007, 03:25 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Uhm... if you like the digital stuff, Cynth

Gidge, that's quite a story and what a coincidence! If you haven't read her you must at least read three books in the Vademar series that are about Vanyel Ashkevron, Magic's Price, Magic's Promise and Magic's Pawn! You really must.

Old Nov 28 2007, 12:05 PM   #20
Cynth
Inactive

Thanks for the offer, Hans, but I think I'll get Jaxom (laptop & wireless network), make my own mug of hot chocolate and curl up on my own couch. All of which is very appropriate since we just had our first snow, it is one of the only places I want to be when it's cold outside, brrrr. Some years we don't get any snow but that has changed more recently.
Old Nov 28 2007, 03:26 PM   #21
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

So much to reply to! So much Real Life getting in the way over the past 2 days!!

Yesterday my man and I drove down to meet my mum (she was over from France for a week) and have a day out with her. It was only September since we saw her last, but I don't know when I'll get to see her next year what with one thing and another (and an impending hospital trip which I am not looking forward to ).

And then it's been a bit ...... I'm a bit with someone because of something. Not meaning to be vague, but, ugh, a) it's a long story and b) it's hard to remain impartial when it's family (long story short, adopted sister found birth family courtesy of me doing what I was asked and it's all in the paper and adopted family knew nothing about the meeting, let alone the press until someone opened a paper and went "oh, wait, isn't that your aunt?"). Sometimes doing a good thing for someone turns out to be such a mess because of thoughtlessness. Consequently feel somewhere in the middle of and and maybe

Also checked the local library system website through GeoWeb and they don't stock any of the ML books that I now want to read! I'm sure that if I went down there and gave them the details then they can request them in, but that takes longer. Ah well. My mum bought me Northern Lights by Philip Pullman yesterday, so am devouring that at present

Quote:
Hey, I seem to have rambled on a lot here...What about you? Do you work at something that inspires you? Are there reasons for why you are not living in the country anymore?
Why did I leave the wonderful county of my birth and move to the big smoke? For one reason, and one reason alone - circumstance

I was living in a house-share, had a good job which I enjoyed doing, plus I volunteered time in the local internet cafe and helped out with the kids clubs and things. And then we went to work one day to find out that the company had gone bankrupt. We were told by the liquidator. Our boss couldn't bring himself to tell us. Perhaps he was all jet-lagged from his recent trip to his house in Bermuda, or felt queasy from driving his new Porsche. Who can say?

Anyway, to cut a long and dirty story down, I (and the other 30 people) got made redundant just like that. There's not a great amount of work where I used to live, and unfortunately I had to rely on Job Seekers Benefit (not sure what the American version is ..... social welfare or something?) which didn't cover my rent. I then received an SMS (text message) from my landlord (who was/is a good friend of my eldest brother) informing me that he wanted me out by the end of the month.

Luckily my partner's parents, on hearing that I was about to be turfed out, immediately said "well he'll come to live here, won't he?" Just like that. No quibbles, no discussions, I didn't even ask (I wasn't even in the house at the time). So my last day arrived and my landlord turned up (he was the one I shared the house with, btw) and was all "oh, are you leaving then?" But conveniently didn't have my deposit with him. I'm still waiting for the cheque to arrive, and that was almost 18 months ago.

LOL So that's all my dirty laundry aired and nicely hanging in public!

As for work, at the moment I am lucky and concentrating on various clients I have on the go with my family history things. That inspires me, I suppose. I am trying my hardest to finish writing up a history of my niece's maternal grandfather's family/families. I did their maternal side in the summer. And I take this opportunity to thank one particular contributor who knows who he is!!

Unfortunately I don't feel inspired enough to pick up with any of my writings. *sigh* But I'm sure that over 3 years of writers block is super common, right? LOL

Quote:
All of which is very appropriate since we just had our first snow, it is one of the only places I want to be when it's cold outside, brrrr. Some years we don't get any snow but that has changed more recently
I know that you people who get snow on a regular basis probably don't feel like this, but I am so jealous! I love snow, and miss it terribly!! I remember when it used to snow. You know, snow.

Like I said, I'm sure that a lot of people don't feel that way
Old Nov 28 2007, 04:13 PM   #22
Hans
Master Archivist

Gee, Gidge, interesting life

Your problems with the adopted are worse than me getting wished "to hell" and having several "god will punish you, you fraud" messages/letters from American customers who were told, or supposedly "found out" themselves that they descended from a) William of Orange/Dutch Royalty b) British Royalty c) French Royalty.
I usually break it to them gently and alwasy, always send back references and often copies of the articles proving them wrong... and I don't even charge them because (I write) "I know it is bad enough to hear that you do not descend from European royalty while you thought you were, is bad enough" But they always seem to blame the bringer of the bad news

Sometimes funny things happen too

Had this lady once, family name "Philips" who was certain she must be related to the family of the big Dutch electronic multinational. It appeared she descended from a Jewish butcher in Oud-Beijerland (a village not far from me) called Hartog who had assumed the name Philips when Napoleon forced the Jewish people to take family names (instead of their Jewish "tribal" names) in the early 19th century She did pay but ws very angry (at me! )

And how about a retired general in the Dutch army who said he came from a military family. Sure enough his father and grandfather had served as officers in the army but his great-grandfather turned out to have been a sheepherder on the Dutch island of Texel (beautiful sheep they have theire, by the way). He let me no in no uncertain terms I could stop the investigations and that he didn't trust the quality of my work

And finding out someone wasn't the child/grandchild of the people they thought were their parents led to aborted commissisons several times
And how about my own mother's Family Foundation blowing itself up because someone found out that it had a German branch with the (maternal) grandmother of Heinrich Himmler being a (many, many, many times removed) family member! Some people can be so silly at times...

DNA research opens up new paths of investigation and is affordable nowadays... but it can't replace the thrill of feeling the detective and being proud of unearthing someone's family history. And with that I do not mean a collection of birth, marriage and death dates

Hang on in there and publish as much as you can, publish and networking, those are the secret. Work together with other genealogists, set yourself some specific geographical location(s) or kinds of genealogical/historical research and specialise! Get correspondents in other countries. My network is almost gone since I haven't been that active for the last decade, but it's a close knit world and in my own country I still have my network.
Don't try to do it all, it'll never be possible to specialise in everything and there will always be local (historical) specialist knowing the local or regional archives far better than you do because they are browsing them for decades. Make use of that! All that, of course, if you ever want to make some money with it. If not you can save yourself a lot of trouble and aggrevation by sticking to the research you like best and doing the odd bit here and there.
Oh, if you speak languages: make use of that! English and American people then will be and can be your customers. Heck, I even played chauffeur and actually drove American people to the little villages in germany their ancestors came from! That's VERY rewarding and at times very lucrative
Above all: be true honest and very careful with your research, your reputation depends on it and, as far as I am concerened, reputation for a genealogist is the base for everything. That and knowledge/ability of course. There are far two much people around that are what those American "customers" called me

OMG, am I lecturing here? (another good idea: hold speeches!) Erm... no, just giving advice.

Oh, sometimes the feel of having dirty laundry almost vanished after having it hung out

Old Nov 28 2007, 04:56 PM   #23
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Gidget and Hans!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2007, 06:18 PM   #24
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Gee, Gidge, interesting life
That's one word for it, yes I could share and regale for hours! There have been many roads travelled (or not). I have just discovered it was Robert Frost who wrote the poem "The Road Not Taken" which seems to sum things up, I guess.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Thank you Hans, also, for your other kind words. I am constantly surprised at how the depth of friendship can be plumbed by people who live so far away and know nothing of daily lives or grinds or pressures, and then something you say, something you share with people who are, for better or worse, strangers, sparks such a sense of resonance that other people are drawn in and warmed, and they share too.

In fact, I am so constantly surprised that I feel that I should cease being surprised at all.

With any research that I do (whether it be for myself, for a friend or for someone who is willing to pay) I always let the facts do the speaking. Family legends are well and good, but I always preach from the book of following where the trail leads! Sometimes you get centuries of agricultural labourers (as many of mine have been - and good solid folk they undoubtedly were too), and sometimes you find a gem of a person or family who stand out. Whilst the latter are 'easier' to research, they are nothing without the other. Two sides to a coin, two families to make a child.

I am lucky in that I haven't been called upon to dispell (m)any family myths like that, Hans! The only one really was to do with a couple in my family who I found out shared a surname 3 generations prior. I was assured that it was from 2 differing families, but it was clear that was not the case - small and isolated village, a not particularly common surname. It turned out that they were 3rd cousins. Hardly the biggest secret to be hushed up but *shrug*

Thank you for the advice also, Hans. I value any experience.

And, Edith, thank you too

Quote:
Oh, sometimes the feel of having dirty laundry almost vanished after having it hung out
You know what? I do feel better.
Old Nov 28 2007, 06:31 PM   #25
Cynth
Inactive

Wow...lots going on. Hope the hospital thing isn't too scary.

Quote:
... I'm a bit with someone ... Consequently feel somewhere in the middle of and and maybe
I've been there lots...almost makes you feel like not helping people but then something good will happen and you go back to it again.

Quote:
Perhaps he was all jet-lagged from his recent trip to his house in Bermuda, or felt queasy from driving his new Porsche. Who can say?
Funny how that works...been there, too.

Quote:
Luckily my partner's parents, on hearing that I was about to be turfed out, immediately said "well he'll come to live here, won't he?" Just like that. No quibbles, no discussions,
Well that's awesome!!! I am always so glad to hear of people reaching out like that. Gives me hope for the human race.

Quote:
As for work, at the moment I am lucky and concentrating on various clients I have on the go with my family history things. That inspires me, I suppose.

having recently done a little digging about my family name I can appreciate how thorough and accurate you need to be.

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't feel inspired enough to pick up with any of my writings. *sigh* But I'm sure that over 3 years of writers block is super common, right? LOL
Sounds like you need some excitement to stir the imagination!!!

Quote:
I know that you people who get snow on a regular basis probably don't feel like this, but I am so jealous! I love snow, and miss it terribly!! I remember when it used to snow. You know, snow.

Like I said, I'm sure that a lot of people don't feel that way
No we don't get much snow on the islands but lots of people go further north to Mt. Washington and then there is always Whistler, for snow fun.

I'm one of those people that dislike the cold and wet so much that it ruins the fun. I could blame it on the fact that I was raised in SW Ontario and lived on a farm with a quarter of a mile long driveway that I had to hike twice every day to catch the school bus, which on bad snow days didn't show up so then I'd stand there freezing to death and end up sick for most of the winter. But I think I just don't like the combo of being cold and wet.
Old Nov 28 2007, 07:03 PM   #26
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Wow...lots going on. Hope the hospital thing isn't too scary.
It is, or it could be, or it might not be. I'm not sure yet. I could do a big long-winded post about hearts and surgery and things, but although I know the past, at the moment I don't know enough about the future to properly round out the discussion.

Ok, well, at some point next year I have to go and have heart surgery. Whoo hoo! I was born defective and so had to have open heart surgery at 13 months old. I was supposed to not really grow too much. Consequently when I carried on growing (finally topped off at 6'3") they were worried about the strain.

Anyway, my current consultant has decided that the patch they put on the original hole (somethingy-something-aorta-something-septum) is leaking far too much to be good for me and whilst I am young and reasonably healthy I should have the surgery soon.

BUT! I don't know when, I don't know the procedure, and I could get freaked out about it very easily indeed. So ...... don't be too nice about it

Quote:
Sounds like you need some excitement to stir the imagination!!!
Ahhhhhhh excitement .... how I remember those halcyon days ...........

Quote:
I could blame it on the fact that I was raised in SW Ontario and lived on a farm with a quarter of a mile long driveway that I had to hike twice every day to catch the school bus, which on bad snow days didn't show up so then I'd stand there freezing to death and end up sick for most of the winter.
Yup, I think that could explain it ....

I always think that being cold and wet can be fun, as long as there is the prospect that in the very near future there is going to be warmth and dry to come back to, revel in and fold about yourself.

And hot chocolate. Definitely hot chocolate. As well as hot buttered toast .... or crumpets (what do Americans call them ..... they are made from dough but have lots of air holes in and you put them in the toaster).
Old Nov 28 2007, 07:22 PM   #27
Cynth
Inactive

Quote:
And hot chocolate. Definitely hot chocolate. As well as hot buttered toast .... or crumpets (what do Americans call them ..... they are made from dough but have lots of air holes in and you put them in the toaster).
Yum...I like that part of the experience a lot. Unfortunately at the moment I am trying to loose a little bit more of this weight I've been carrying around.
Old Nov 29 2007, 07:22 AM   #28
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

LOL Well ..... one hot choclate won't hurt

Besides, if you have a smaller cup, then the calories will be fewer so you can have more cups!
Old Nov 29 2007, 08:32 AM   #29
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Or if you buy the low calorie type like I do.
Old Nov 29 2007, 09:52 AM   #30
Sandi

The whole geneology thing interests me. I think the Mormons started it, but it has become a popular diversion for a lot of Americans. It's unfortunate (or down-right comical) that so many Americans are dedicated to proving themselves related to royalty of some nationality. Funny because getting rid of royalty was one of the primary purposes of the founding of the nation. For my own family background, we seem to be a singularly lack-luster bunch. My mother's family is made up of mostly farmers and such like. My father's family mysteriously appeared with buckets of money, built a huge plantation, lost everything in the civil war and the whole family name is pretty much played out (My poor sailor father only had two girls as progeny). I find it funny that so many legends and myths have been built about the whole thing that there are still people who go out trying to dig up "trunks full of gold" buried in the wilderness where the house once stood. I think it might make an interesting psychological study to figure out why so many Americans feel it so vital to believe they are descended from someone "important." I don't see how it matters anyway. What matters is who you are or who I am and what we do or don't do with our own lives.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2007, 12:16 PM   #31
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Ummmmm sorry, perhaps I was misunderstanding you there, Sandi, but I can assure you most vehemently that genealogy did not start with the Mormons!

Major families of many nations have wanted pedigrees for centuries - before Mormonism or even America existed. During Elizabeth I's time, many Visitations were carried out by heralds which visited different counties and obtained pedigrees from the wealthy families. Admittedly, some of them weren't very accurate as the main aim of the families was to connect back to royalty of some degree or other.

The aim of the Royal Pedigrees was to prove a link back to Biblical characters - Jesus and Adam & Eve etc - to 'prove' that their rules were, indeed, ordained by God itself. Of course, there is no 'proof' as modern genealogists would understand it, but for the great unwashed of England? They would have accepted it.

One of the reasons I think so many Americans want to know their family history (and I don't want to start another war or anything), is because America was founded as a colony - and everyone has always known that. There has always been a sense of "before".

As Eddie Izzard once said in one of his shows in San Francisco: "I'm from Europe - where History comes from".

Europeans grow up with 'ancient' history all around us. 100 years? That's nothing! Even 500 years is inked into the landscape, let alone going back *thousands* of years. I used to live 20 miles or so away from Stonehenge and it was part of the landscape. Yes, we knew it was incredibly old and an incredibly special place (especially for my parents who "courted" there in their younger days!), but it had always been there. Does that make sense?

I am not saying that America doesn't have such ancient heritage - of course it does. But as far as I understand, for much of America's European history (if you see what I mean), native culture was stamped on, squashed and buried as much as possible. It's only been in the last few decades (with exceptions, of course) that a greater understanding of the ancient history of the continent has been reached by the general populace.

I think that the same could be said for Australia and New Zealand to some degree.

I don't mean to be on my , and I do not mean to sound cruel or offensive, so I do apologise if I did. If its a choice between taking what I said badly or well, please choose the nice way! However, I'll expect the soon!!!
Old Nov 29 2007, 02:34 PM   #32
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
The whole geneology thing interests me. I think the Mormons started it, but it has become a popular diversion for a lot of Americans. It's unfortunate (or down-right comical) that so many Americans are dedicated to proving themselves related to royalty of some nationality. Funny because getting rid of royalty was one of the primary purposes of the founding of the nation. For my own family background, we seem to be a singularly lack-luster bunch. My mother's family is made up of mostly farmers and such like. My father's family mysteriously appeared with buckets of money, built a huge plantation, lost everything in the civil war and the whole family name is pretty much played out (My poor sailor father only had two girls as progeny). I find it funny that so many legends and myths have been built about the whole thing that there are still people who go out trying to dig up "trunks full of gold" buried in the wilderness where the house once stood. I think it might make an interesting psychological study to figure out why so many Americans feel it so vital to believe they are descended from someone "important." I don't see how it matters anyway. What matters is who you are or who I am and what we do or don't do with our own lives.
Geneology helps me find out what Nationalities I'm made up of . . . then the quarter that was already here and met the boat - trying to find which tribes and headright claims . . . I was the last of my branch's surname you need to go back about 3 generations to find a male that may have had a son to carry the name forward - but unsure if it belonged to the woman the indian married or a corruption of a surname. Aunt got back to the 1600's and still hasn't jumped shores yet.
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2007, 03:18 PM   #33
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

Quote:
Yum...I like that part of the experience a lot. Unfortunately at the moment I am trying to loose a little bit more of this weight I've been carrying around.
I'm of the fluffy crowd myself . . . I'll take my hot chocolate and cookies virtual please!
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2007, 04:18 PM   #34
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherlyn View Post
I'm of the fluffy crowd myself . . . I'll take my hot chocolate and cookies virtual please!
Fluffy crowd?
Old Nov 29 2007, 04:45 PM   #35
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Very interesting thread you all have going here...

It's very nice getting to see the earlier photos of Gidge(very very handsome) and Cynth(very pretty daughter....but isn't that you in the center photo?)..and all the fuzzy friends of both of yours.
We only have our cat named Teddy that most here have seen...but before him we always had *Sheltie* dogs...first *Tri's* and then the standard golden and white. The last one passed on...and since he was the very best we could hope for we didn't get another one. He did train Teddy up from a kitten...so now he thinks he's a dog..even drinks water out of the bathroom toliet...
I am very sorry Gidge that you are going to go and have an operation... we all here will be sending you possitive thoughts when it is time. When it's over though please don't forget to come back to MoM...you have started to become a very pleasant addition around here.

The Geneology discussion, sounds very interesting also...but since I come from a *Heinz57*styled family...I don't think there is anything that would trace back to one family...so like Sandi...I live in the now and dream of very old family somewhere in the old country....sigh
This did turn out to be a fantastic way to learn about two of our newer MoMers...glad to have you both here

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2007, 05:01 PM   #36
Sandi

Quote:
Ummmmm sorry, perhaps I was misunderstanding you there, Sandi, but I can assure you most vehemently that genealogy did not start with the Mormons!
I didn't mean to imply that it did, only that it seems to have become a more widespread passtime in the US since the Morman movement stirred up so much interest in it. As an American, I can agree with a lot of what you've said. Many if not to say most of us don't really know who or what our acestors were beyond 5 or 6 generations. That is often because the ancestors themselves took pains to conceal a lot of facts about themselves for reasons of their own.

Personally, I've been curious siince childhood about the original "John C."; where he came from, where he got all that money, exactly what happened to it, etc. I've listened to the legends and they are contradictory at best and laughable at worst. All I really meant by all that was that it doesn't really matter all that much. People in the Southern US have become pretty sensitive about being blamed for all sorts of things our ancestors did or may have done. All I know with certainty about my father's family is that he was a good man, a good father and that most of them died young. My father was never a member of the KKK nor any other hate group. He was, in fact, an American service man who served in three wars.

As for the Native American part, it is sadly true that much of their varied cultures are lost and confused. I had a great-great grandmother who was a Native American and I've been able to find out less about her than about those who came from the other side of the ocean. There again, it doesn't really matter as to who I am as a person but it does explain my eyes and skin.

And I also lived fairly near Stonehenge years ago (Ringwood, Hampshire). Naturally I went to see it a few times. I think I read that it has been enclosed in a fence now but back in the 70's if you wanted to go out and walk around the rocks you could do so. Ringwood itself was a tiny town that was being suffocated by its history and the problems the town was having made me look at things differently. I'd always been one of those "history worshipers" I guess you could say, but I learned that sometimes preserving things simply because they are old can cause difficulties for those living now. I still feel things of real historic value should be protected but not every old building actually has historic value.

And this is not a just a discussion.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2007, 05:59 PM   #37
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

I'm afraid that I'm about to double-post. I could post all in one big whack, but I'm tired and would find it easier to do it twice. (No comments please ....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Very interesting thread you all have going here...

It's very nice getting to see the earlier photos of Gidge(very very handsome)
Yeah, that's me alright

Quote:
I am very sorry Gidge that you are going to go and have an operation... we all here will be sending you possitive thoughts when it is time. When it's over though please don't forget to come back to MoM...you have started to become a very pleasant addition around here.
Thank you, Lady M. That's very kind of you! I won't be leaving MoM any time soon and will keep ppl updated!

LOL And I'm only just starting to become a pleasant additon? So it's only taken me 2 years of hard posting, huh?

Quote:
This did turn out to be a fantastic way to learn about two of our newer MoMers...glad to have you both here
Yeah, I'm not so new ...... June 2005 apparently ..... LOL I just have periods when RL gets in the way!! LOL
Old Nov 29 2007, 06:12 PM   #38
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Well, my family's plain and straightforward. :shrug:
Just the usual skeletons.
Old Nov 29 2007, 06:25 PM   #39
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

See? 2nd of the 2 double posts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post

The Geneology discussion, sounds very interesting also...but since I come from a *Heinz57*styled family...I don't think there is anything that would trace back to one family...so like Sandi...I live in the now and dream of very old family somewhere in the old country....sigh
LOL But those are the fun kinds for researchers like me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I didn't mean to imply that it did, only that it seems to have become a more widespread passtime in the US since the Morman movement stirred up so much interest in it.
I did wonder, a while after my post, if that was maybe what you meant and I had got the wrong end of the stick!

It's been around in the UK for a few years now, and Canada has just had their first season of it, but there is a TV show called "Who Do You Think You Are?" where each week they take a 'celebrity' and trace their family with them and dispell any myths and get answers to questions and general research. In general it's a good show, although the last series was a bit ..... it had a lot of mistakes and made assumptions and things, so not so good. But the others were very good! I don't know if the US is going to pick it up or syndicate it or whatever.

Quote:
That is often because the ancestors themselves took pains to conceal a lot of facts about themselves for reasons of their own.
And don't I know it!! LOL One of the things that I have learnt, however, is that us in the here and now cannot sit here with infinite wisdom and judge the decisions and actions of those in the past. As you say, they had their reasons at that time and acted to the best of their beliefs .... whatever they may have been.

Quote:
All I know with certainty about my father's family is that he was a good man, a good father and that most of them died young. My father was never a member of the KKK nor any other hate group. He was, in fact, an American service man who served in three wars.
And someone which you can honour and be very proud of.

Quote:
As for the Native American part, it is sadly true that much of their varied cultures are lost and confused. I had a great-great grandmother who was a Native American and I've been able to find out less about her than about those who came from the other side of the ocean. There again, it doesn't really matter as to who I am as a person but it does explain my eyes and skin.
There is a "legend" in my family that my mother's biological father's mother was Native American. So far I haven't been able to prove it. But nor have I been able to disprove it. Perhaps the DNA I sent back for testing will be able to tell me more ...... who knows?

Quote:
I think I read that it has been enclosed in a fence now but back in the 70's if you wanted to go out and walk around the rocks you could do so.
That's right, it used to be open but they had to enclose it as a violent and disrespectful minority was making it unpleasant for the others. However, there are plans afoot now to open it back up (including burying the major main road which runs alongside it in a tunnel) and remove the fencing. I am all for that! Stonehenge was designed to sit within and react to the landscape, and not be turned into a cage.

Quote:
I'd always been one of those "history worshipers" I guess you could say, but I learned that sometimes preserving things simply because they are old can cause difficulties for those living now. I still feel things of real historic value should be protected but not every old building actually has historic value.
I agree with you totally! Age in a person does not automatically infer great wisdom, and age in a building does not automatically confer architectural merit or societal importance. A balance has to be struck between the past, the present and the future, juding what of the past has a greater effect on the future, and what we can do now to help.

Quote:
And this is not a just a discussion.
I was just preparing myself, that's all!

Foof! So far so good, and so far so posted!! LOL
Old Nov 29 2007, 06:43 PM   #40
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
S

It's been around in the UK for a few years now, and Canada has just had their first season of it, but there is a TV show called "Who Do You Think You Are?" where each week they take a 'celebrity' and trace their family with them and dispell any myths and get answers to questions and general research. In general it's a good show, although the last series was a bit ..... it had a lot of mistakes and made assumptions and things, so not so good. But the others were very good! I don't know if the US is going to pick it up or syndicate it or whatever.
I didn't see all of the last series but it wasn't as good as some of them. That actor guy's one was extremely bad. Though my Grandpa went to Cranbourne school in the 1930s. That was the only good bit about that episode, seeing the school.
Some of the stories are absolutely fascinating and some are extremely sad.