A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 25 2006, 02:25 AM   #41
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: WorldCon bound

Thanks you SO much for this report! Keep up the good work Great to see you all had a good time at dinner and, don't be too hard on Pam, just plain hard will do

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2006, 09:56 AM   #42
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Sharon, great pictures and thanks for the bit about Todd. He probably enjoyed the signs to help break up the Con monotiny (sp?).
Let us know how Anne's panels went too! They start today and go thru the weekend. We want reeeporriiitts! Squeeee! (sorry, poor dolphin of Pern immitation!)
Old Aug 25 2006, 04:07 PM   #43
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

You snitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
No, it isn't safe. I live close enough to World Con that I'm not staying at the hotels. This means I can come home and get on the computer. If the mayhem gets too riotious I'm duty bound as a host on a sister-site, to warn both Cheryl and Pam.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2006, 12:48 AM   #44
Sharon
Inactive

More photos!

http://groups.msn.com/ClanFiend/laco...to&PhotoID=565

Great panel yesterday. Being Anne McCaffrey with Anne McCaffrey. 1 hour of Anne talking about her life, her family, writing, her reading recommendations. She was utterly delightful, and very candid. She joked about her new hearing aids and how she was still adjusting to them. Anne made Todd blush by saying how much she liked his writing, and how proud of him she was, and how glad she is that he's taking over Pern.

One of the things I did yesterday, was stop at the Locks of Love Booth. For those of you who have never heard of this organization, it's a group that takes human hair and has it made into wigs for patients (primarily children) who have lost their hair due to medical conditions, mostly chemotherapy. I donated about 12 inches of hair. So you'll see in the photos, I started out with longer hair, but it's now just below the ear level.

For the costume I wore yesterday, I was awarded 2 unofficial ribbons from groups that handed out ribbons to people whose costumes they really liked. I think the special part of my costume had to be the hoop skirt. Wearing it was a bit of a challenge. Not so much when sitting as when walking. I had to hold it up so I didn't trod on the skirt. The problem with sitting was the amount of room the skirt required. Wearing 1 day wasn't bad, but I can't imagine wearing one everyday as they did in other eras.

I have to admit I decided not to attend the Hugos this evening. Frankly award ceremonies, bore me. I'm also tired and wanted to post an update this evening. I have uploaded all the new photos to my computer but haven't put them all on the ClanFiend Site yet. The rest are various displays and costumes people (strangers) were wearing.

Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2006, 01:29 AM   #45
Becky
Coelura

Thanks again for the pictures and report, Sharon! Your hair looks great short too! And a wonderful donation on your part.
What t-shirt was Anne wearing? Was it the shirt that had a drawing by our Maelin?????
Old Aug 27 2006, 01:44 AM   #46
Sharon
Inactive

No, she was wearing a different t-shirt. Maelin however has been wearing some t-shirts with her lovely artwork on them.
Old Aug 27 2006, 05:10 AM   #47
Hans
Master Archivist

And thanks indeed again Sharon, for pics and words! Wonderful!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Aug 27 2006, 05:06 PM   #48
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Thanks, Sharon, great photos
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2006, 11:47 PM   #49
Sharon
Inactive

A few more photos.

http://groups.msn.com/ClanFiend/laco...to&PhotoID=579

WorldCon was wonderful, but it was also exhausting.
Old Aug 29 2006, 03:05 AM   #50
Hans
Master Archivist

Hey, it Con is expected to be exahausting!

and, a BORG Can Can dancer?

Old Aug 29 2006, 09:49 AM   #51
Becky
Coelura

I agree, Hans, a Borg Can Can dancer???? What will they think of next??!!?
Old Aug 29 2006, 01:26 PM   #52
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Thanks again for the pictures and report, Sharon! Your hair looks great short too! And a wonderful donation on your part.
What t-shirt was Anne wearing? Was it the shirt that had a drawing by our Maelin?????
I don't think that Sharon realized that yes it was one of my "Dragonsinger" drawing that Anne had on her t-shirt during her "Being Anne McCaffrey" talk.

I was very proud and happy to see her roll out on stage with my drawing on her shirt. Chery and I had made t-shirts to take to the Convention, to have a few special gifts to give to Anne and wear ourselves to the Convention. The t-shirts we made and were wearing were great hits, and I had to tell many people that NO!!! they weren't for sale somewhere on the dealers floor.... sorry...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29 2006, 02:40 PM   #53
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
I don't think that Sharon realized that yes it was one of my "Dragonsinger" drawing that Anne had on her t-shirt during her "Being Anne McCaffrey" talk.

I was very proud and happy to see her roll out on stage with my drawing on her shirt. Chery and I had made t-shirts to take to the Convention, to have a few special gifts to give to Anne and wear ourselves to the Convention. The t-shirts we made and were wearing were great hits, and I had to tell many people that NO!!! they weren't for sale somewhere on the dealers floor.... sorry...
Shows that people can truly appreciate art!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29 2006, 03:25 PM   #54
Hans
Master Archivist

Wow, Maelin, that is simply GREAT news (about Anne and people wanting to buy them )

I do hope someone took pics in which you can see what Anne is wearing!

Old Aug 29 2006, 05:55 PM   #55
Sharon
Inactive

No Lady Maelin, my eyes aren't what they used to be and so I didn't get a good look at the shirt Anne was wearing for that panel.

As for the Borg CanCan dancer, she was part of the half-time show for the Masquerade. There were several aliens as can-can dancers, however the one I was able to get a close up photo was the Borg one. And she's also the one that amused me the most.
Old Aug 29 2006, 07:06 PM   #56
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Wow, Maelin, that is simply GREAT news (about Anne and people wanting to buy them )

I do hope someone took pics in which you can see what Anne is wearing!
Hans, yes I did get a few good ones of Anne wearing her t-shirt, and will be posting them very soon hopefully. I would have already posted them but earlier today I tried to kill my computer with coffee, and had to give it CPR, and a total dry out ...so it took a while to know if I still had a way to get here or decide if we had to go and find a new computer for me. Arrrrrgggghh!!!

NOTE TO ALL COMPUTER USERS: Don't drink large jugs of coffee and compute at the same time, it is a dangerous combination. Through the good graces of the of the computer Gods, I am still here blathering away, but my coffee is on another table.

@ C'ris, thank you for the lovely compliment!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Aug 29 2006, 09:31 PM   #57
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Hans, yes I did get a few good ones of Anne wearing her t-shirt, and will be posting them very soon hopefully. I would have already posted them but earlier today I tried to kill my computer with coffee, and had to give it CPR, and a total dry out ...so it took a while to know if I still had a way to get here or decide if we had to go and find a new computer for me. Arrrrrgggghh!!!

NOTE TO ALL COMPUTER USERS: Don't drink large jugs of coffee and compute at the same time, it is a dangerous combination. Through the good graces of the of the computer Gods, I am still here blathering away, but my coffee is on another table.
ACK!!! You're soooooo lucky Maelin to still have a computer! The computer gods were certainly with you today! Whew!!!

Last edited by Cheryl; Aug 30 2006 at 12:02 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29 2006, 10:36 PM   #58
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

I need sleep. Lots and lots of sleep. Though, we were good kids and went home earlyish most nights. Cheryl, mom and I completely skipped the Hugos and went home and watched the sunset over the ocean and went out for gelato.

More later, after some sleep.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30 2006, 12:03 AM   #59
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Re: WorldCon bound

Sleep, need sleep. Sleep good. Grandma staying another day and half to watch my children good.

In other words, I'm home, pictures will come when I'm awake and caught up on life and stuff.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30 2006, 03:50 AM   #60
Hans
Master Archivist

LOL

You go sleep girls!

Maelin! I hope you don't use sugar in your coffee, so it doesn't get all sticky... yes, that happened to one of my keyboards. Luckily I always a handful of spare ones Truth be told I ruined it myself trying to dry it ffaster using a hairdryer, which made the rubber mar inside the keyboard shrink and made the keyboard useless! Lesson learned: never use hairdryer to dry wet keyboards!

I also remember a friend spilling orange juice over the keyboard, which was extra bad as it was a laptop keyboard and thus not easily replaced.

Old Aug 30 2006, 09:35 AM   #61
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Beer spilled over a keyboard makes it not work too!

Old Aug 30 2006, 09:39 AM   #62
Hans
Master Archivist

But my mum always said: beer leaves no stains

Old Aug 30 2006, 09:47 AM   #63
Becky
Coelura

::shifts glass of water to the right, AWAY from laptop::
Old Aug 30 2006, 10:06 AM   #64
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Quote:
But my mum always said: beer leaves no stains
No... it just causes keyboards to not work!

Old Aug 30 2006, 02:31 PM   #65
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
LOL

You go sleep girls!

Maelin! I hope you don't use sugar in your coffee, so it doesn't get all sticky... yes, that happened to one of my keyboards. Luckily I always a handful of spare ones Truth be told I ruined it myself trying to dry it ffaster using a hairdryer, which made the rubber mar inside the keyboard shrink and made the keyboard useless! Lesson learned: never use hairdryer to dry wet keyboards!

I also remember a friend spilling orange juice over the keyboard, which was extra bad as it was a laptop keyboard and thus not easily replaced.
LOL... Hans, NO !!! I don't use sugar...only Splenda thankfully. ..But I did use a hair dryer, at a cooler tempreture thankfully and a fan for about an hour. I not only worked when we got all done drying it out, it seemed to work even faster and better than it had been( go figure). How only the computer Gods know, but I am very happy not to be off trying to find a new one to buy to replace it . It did have me backing up everything(like a few friends had suggested I do a while ago. ..waves at Hans and "J") that I hadn't already done...like the new Convention Photos !!!

Old Aug 30 2006, 03:22 PM   #66
Hans
Master Archivist

Glad to hear that, Maelin!

I say, there's always something good in a possible minor disaster!

Don't forget those backups folks! They are IMPORTANT!!

Old Aug 30 2006, 04:55 PM   #67
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

It happened to the Customs and Excise boys at Felixstowe. Somebody spilt a mug of coffee into their mainframe at about 2.15 on a Friday afternoon.

Nothing could move in or out of the ports of Felixstowe or Harwich, by sea or road, until the Monday morning. The loads waiting included 40 tonnes of high explosive which the police had to guard for the entire weekend.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30 2006, 09:54 PM   #68
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

P'ter, OH MY!!! I don't think my situation was quite as explosive as that one you told about, but it was cause to explode out of my chair yelling for a helping hand and a towel to mop up the mess...

I think I have learned that drinking anything around electronics is a disaster waiting to happen...a little electronic Russian Roulette thats tooooo expensive for my budget......

Old Aug 30 2006, 10:01 PM   #69
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
P'ter, OH MY!!! I don't think my situation was quite as explosive as that one you told about, but it was cause to explode out of my chair yelling for a helping hand and a towel to mop up the mess...

I think I have learned that drinking anything around electronics is a disaster waiting to happen...a little electronic Russian Roulette thats tooooo expensive for my budget......
I'm sitting here groaning over the puns, Maelin!!!! (intentional or not!)
Old Aug 30 2006, 10:29 PM   #70
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky...