A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Apr 24 2010, 11:25 AM   #1
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen
Default The multi-talented Hans Van Der Boom

Not only is our host Hans a good archivist, collector, photographer and web master, he is also a terrific cook, as I learned to my advantage while staying with Hans and Marjon last weekend. Here is Hans concocting something delicious in his kitchen:

Thank you thank you to Hans and Marjon for looking after me when I ended up stranded in the Netherlands.

I will be posting some of the pictures I took at the Keukenhof Gardens eventually. Lanen and I are entertaining Mike and Tania at the moment, so we're a little distracted.

Last edited by StevenB; Apr 24 2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Itchy fingers
StevenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24 2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: The multi-talented Hans Van Der Boom

Oh, shut up you Between you and your equally complimentary wife you are giving me a permanent blush!

But yes, I do love cooking and though it is not easy to reach a certain culinary quality if you also are showing your guest around and socializing I do try

Here I am seasoning tenderloin of porc with pepper. On the stove you will find the sauce base, a pan with veggies (a mix of caulliflower, broccoli and round parisienna carrots) and a dish with various kinds of mushrooms, to be later added to the sauce together with creme fraiche, chives and paprika powdeer. This last ingredient wasn't original in my recipe but I heeded the advice of my official Scottish consultant and 'taster' who texted: "Whatever Hans is cooking, tell him it needs more paprika!"

Steven says everything he ate was delicous and though he's a man to believed on his word alone I still found it comforting that he always completely cleaned his plate (but as a gentleman he didn't lick it, of course).

PS I will post pics of the Keukenhof later, too!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25 2010, 01:52 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans... sure looks like you were having a lot of fun entertaining your stranded guest with your very tasty culinary skills. Lord I can almost smell those mushrooms cooking...YUMMMMM!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25 2010, 11:30 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Hans... sure looks like you were having a lot of fun entertaining your stranded guest with your very tasty culinary skills. Lord I can almost smell those mushrooms cooking...YUMMMMM!!!
Aha, another thing to put on the list to feed you and your hubby when you come over!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Apr 25 2010, 11:14 PM   #5
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Hans, after all the shoe could have been on the other foot and you stuck in Scotland with Marjon anxiously awaiting your arrival home. It's almost tempting to get my hubby to cook something like that for me Woohoo on getting home safely though Steven.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Hans, I really hate to tell you this, but when you arrive in London tomorrow, on the menu is....

TAKEAWAY PIZZA
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2010, 11:04 PM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

...Anneli, I think his super duper taste buds will survive...and hopefully he will decide to treat you and cook something tasty for you, while he's visiting.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 9 2010, 03:33 PM   #8
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Mmm! That picture takes me back seven years. I too have had the pleasure of enjoying Hans' wonderful cooking.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2010, 03:58 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Granath, you'll be pleased that I had the basic idea for the mushroom and creme-fraiche / sour cream came from the cookbook you gave me

Old May 12 2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Right on both counts, Maelin

The takeaway pizza disappeared in a trice, so I can only assume that it was acceptable to Dutch tastebuds And Hans did indeed cook us something tasty one evening - pork tenderloin - so honour was well satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
...Anneli, I think his super duper taste buds will survive...and hopefully he will decide to treat you and cook something tasty for you, while he's visiting.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 11:34 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Anneli...Very glad to hear about both! Most hungry tastebuds can be satisfied with hot cheesy pizza with lots of toppings. It's truly a brave cook, who's willing to prepare a tasty meal in a friends kitchen...you go Hans