A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Oct 24 2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Hans' USA visit (1)

Some of you already know that my wife and I traveled the USA (again; this time from east to west and we cheated by flying from Baltimore to Denver) and visited some MoM friends and relatives. I'm sorry of you weren't on my list but your country is too darn big to include all the people I would have liked to visit! In the end we visited friend and relatives whom we had either met elsewhere on our world before or who have graced our house with visits themselves (except for one notable exception). If I need to have a criterium, that sounds like a good one

We left our country on September 10th and arrived (tired) at Baltimore where Cheryl (and baby Fiona) were waiting for us, to pick us up and drive to their home. It was a happy reunion (with Cheryl) en great to finally being able to meet the other family members in person. We made it an early night that day to get into the American rhythm asap.

The next day was a Saturday and with the kids not having to go to school we were able to visit Cylburn Arboretum. After all, with my wife being a bit garden crazy and with all the beautiful pictures Cheryl posts of visits there we had to see it with our own eyes!

We picknicked, baby Fiona too...

Cylburn is where I saw my first Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (here in the light female variety)

and here in the dark female morph

Cylburn also has a large and luxurious post Civil War Mansion. With a little photoshop work I could make this look like right from a Stephen King novel

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Nov 11 2010 at 04:09 AM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24 2010, 11:41 AM   #2
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Hans' USA visit

Very nice pics. Glad you had a good.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24 2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

It was great having you here, and I'm looking forward to seeing photos from the rest of your adventures!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

One of the things we did with Cheryl (and Fiona) was one of the things many people adviced to do when they heard we would be visiting Baltimore: visit the National Aquarium.

Of course we found Nemo (and his friends, too)

Apart from all the beautiful animals (not only fish), as a photographer I also enjoyed the mirrored escalators in the aquarium

And we asked a passer by in the tropical bird part of the aquarium to take this picture:

A very impressive exhibit was the Jellyfish one

After the aquarium visit we explored part of Baltimore making use of the excellent waterbus service

And we stayed on until evening; here's the USS Constellation in Baltimore's inner harbor area with the World Trade Center tower in the background and the Nat. Aquarium buildings on the right.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Oct 26 2010, 07:10 AM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Ah, the Constitution brings back memories. I was at a convention in Baltimore in Autumn 1992.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2010, 08:53 PM   #6
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

ZUm, P'ter... Hans's pic is the CONSTALLATION. The CONSTITUTION sits in Boston Harbor, dear.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27 2010, 02:04 PM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Me bad! Yxlexia Drools!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Oct 27 2010, 10:09 PM   #8
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I love the Baltimore Aquarium. It is about 6 hours aways.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Oct 28 2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Great pictures, Hans, so glad you had such a wonderful time
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29 2010, 02:06 AM   #10
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

Very lovely photos.

I got to go Camden Yards several years ago, but we didn't explore Baltimore. We were visiting relatives in Virginia, and the trip to the ball park was one of our planned family activities.
Old Oct 29 2010, 05:15 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

The next day we visted Rawlins Conservatory:

And since that (well, the buildings and greenhouses) was unexpectedly closed, we also went to visit the nearby Baltimore Zoo:

where we also saw this dreaming polar bear. Seeing this was real funny. He was definitely dreaming and kept pulling up his upper lip, growling a bit. As if he were chasing a seal in his dream (Cheryl, don't tell this to Micah!).

That evening Cheryl took us to sunset at nearby Loch Raven, a fantastic photographic farewell gift! Thank you Cheryl!

Old Oct 29 2010, 10:23 PM   #12
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Sounds like you had fun. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31 2010, 05:23 AM   #13
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Wonderful photos Hans!
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5 2010, 06:06 PM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

In Denver we visited the Botanical Gardens which had an exhibition of sculptures by Henry Moore and, of course, many beautiful plants, flowers, trees etc. (OK, insects too)

Denver has an unusual shaped rainforest greenhouse (which they didn't need at the moment as it was a stif 96 degrees F):

This plant is called Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia gilliesii), natve to Peru, Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. Unexpectedly it is in the fabaceae (bean family).

There were just too many beautiful and special flowers and plants to photograph (still, I tried to get them all)

One of Henry Moore's creations, reflected perfectly in the (almost empty) Monet pond:

And another (unreflected) one that still has the perfect setting:

OK, the Monet pond wasn't totally empty or void of waterlillies. I call this type of phoot "roem for a poem shot"

Old Nov 5 2010, 08:20 PM   #15
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
This plant is called Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia gilliesii), natve to Peru, Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. Unexpectedly it is in the fabaceae (bean family).

Doesn't look like any "bird of paradise" that I know about, this is the variety I am familiar with:

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6 2010, 05:44 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Jube: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesalpinia_gilliesii

Old Nov 9 2010, 01:32 PM   #17
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Wow! I've been away for a while and just found all these wonderful photographs. Thanks for posting them Hans. Is this the work of your amazing new lens?
Old Nov 11 2010, 04:06 AM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

New lenses, Steven (and hopefully a new camera soon, too).

But I guess you mean the 70-200 from the Canon L series and the answer to that is: only part of them, the close ups.

And thank you for the compliment! Did you get a chance at some nice ones? Suddenly occurred to me you were at the east and west coast recently too, like we were

Old Nov 11 2010, 04:33 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

After Denver we went to visit family in Colorado Springs. Here's our first proper look at the Rockies from the Ackerman Overlook just outside Briargate, Colorado Springs (where I also bought my iPad at the local Apple store, yay )

Among one of the things we did was getting used to the altitude. Even though Col. Springs and Denver are already at app. 6,000 feet we wanted to go up to over 14,000, so it was decided we would hike Mount Cutler trail to see how us Dutchies from below sea level held up Vistas were wonderful and the hike went great.

Here's a panorama (a photoshop merge of 5 pictures) from the view from the top, over 7,200 feet.

A must see when in Col. Springs is The Garden of the Gods; here's the formation called Kissing Camels with backlight.

And the famous balancing rock.

To get some real sense of height and the Rocky Mountains we also went up Pikes Peak, to 14,110 feet (c. 4.300 meters), by car. Not for the faint hearted

But there's a reward at the top, of course.

Since it was, by now, the second half of September, autumn colours started to gently manifest themselves in the magnificent mountains.

And much too soon we needed to head south, to cross the mighty mountain range. California or bust! But since we would virtually pass her house we had decided to visit MoM staff member Pam (more next time). Below the view from Wolf Creek Pass, where we crossed the Rockies.

Last edited by Hans; Nov 11 2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old Nov 11 2010, 09:32 AM   #20
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Beautiful, as always!

And hey, I recognize the scenery in that last shot! I went there with Pam too!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2010, 09:35 AM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

You'll probably recognize more in the next series

Old Nov 11 2010, 02:39 PM   #22
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

We saw the Garden Of The Gods a few years ago. They are amazing! Great pic, Hans.

Old Nov 14 2010, 06:53 PM   #23
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
New lenses, Steven (and hopefully a new camera soon, too).

But I guess you mean the 70-200 from the Canon L series and the answer to that is: only part of them, the close ups.

And thank you for the compliment! Did you get a chance at some nice ones? Suddenly occurred to me you were at the east and west coast recently too, like we were
Well, the close-ups are pretty amazing. The drive up the Rocky Mountains looks incredible. Congratulations on surviving the altitude.

Yes, I visited Cheryl and saw Baltimore just a week after you did, and then had a separate trip to the Pacific North West. I'll be posting some pictures eventually.
Old Nov 15 2010, 11:51 AM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

After arriving at Pam's Place I wandered around to take a picture of two... Pam's horse started talking to me when I visited the stable. Needless to say I couldn't understand a word...

It would be impossible to show you all the great things and views Pam showed us. Having a knowledgeable person showing us around enriched our experience manifold. Thank you Pam! But still, I'll give you a few examples:

Pinkerton Hot Springs:

Engineer Mountain:

Andrews Lake Recreation Area:

Grenadier Range:

Little Molas Lake:

A waterfall for which Pam had looked several times while in the area but which she finally found when we were able to lend her our supernatural assistance... Seriously, she had looked for it several times without actually finding it for various reasons.

If you are careful with your figure or on a low calory diet, whatever you do, do NOT acceed when Pam suggest to visit her favourite cupcake store. Those mothers are giants!

Pam obliged and honoured us to virtually put everything Colorado has to offer into one single day: beautiful vistas, mountain ranges, sunshine, rain, hot, cold, hail, rainbows, stunning sunsets, etc. etc. She wouldn't even take credit for it all...

Rainbow over Pam's land

Sunset over ditto:

I'm a poor lonesome cowboy... ah... dressage rider?

Old Nov 15 2010, 02:57 PM   #25
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

Yay!

I love that last picture of Penny.

It was awesome having you here.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2010, 05:49 PM   #26
Hans
Master Archivist

It's an angle not many people would take when photographing a horse

And it was great finally meeting you, Chris and your menagerie!

Old Nov 15 2010, 05:54 PM   #27
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

WOW that hot springs seems to have a high iron content!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2010, 06:33 PM   #28
Tania
Darbul

Fan of: One? How can I pick one?!
Now Reading: The Last Continent (Pratchett)

Looks like you didn't get to the west coast, so we'll have to forgive you for not looking us up. At least we had Steven & Elizabeth for a few days of Seattle style sightseeing (Space Needle in the rain, Sculpture Park in the rain, Pike Place Market in the rain...).
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16 2010, 03:44 AM   #29
Hans
Master Archivist

We did en up on the west coast, Tania, but at San Diego and more less north you hardly can get... and within the time allotted we couldn't justify visiting our friends 'up north'. We would have loved to visit you but it was a trip of choices, with many more invitations than we could honour

We will meet though! Maybe it's likelier it'll be in Ireland or Britain. But we will meet!

Old Nov 16 2010, 08:27 AM   #30
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Yet more stunning photographs. I love the lake and mountain pictures, and the hot springs, and the waterfall... I'm glad you got some good weather.

By contrast...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Looks like you didn't get to the west coast, so we'll have to forgive you for not looking us up. At least we had Steven & Elizabeth for a few days of Seattle style sightseeing (Space Needle in the rain, Sculpture Park in the rain, Pike Place Market in the rain...).
We also visited the boat dock at Suquamish in a howling gale, then warmed ourselves at the best pizza restaurant in town.
Old Nov 16 2010, 03:56 PM   #31
Lily

Magnificent, Hans
Old Nov 17 2010, 04:42 PM   #32
Hans
Master Archivist

From Pam we went westward first, to visit Mesa Verde NP and from there to Moab in Utah, to use as a base for visits to Canyonlands NP and Arches NP.

Climbing up Mesa Verde you pass this magnificent view of the Montezuma Valley:

A grand view, from Park Point lookout, at 8572 feet the highest point in Mesa Verde NP.

Square tower House:

Cliff Palace:

and Spruce Tree House:

Almost at Moab you find this: an unusually shaped and eroded rock. My wife thought it looked like a big, fat opera singer, I saw just a giant nipple... Men!

And even closer to Moab you gotta stop at Wilson Arch:

Last edited by Hans; Nov 21 2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old Nov 17 2010, 05:37 PM   #33
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Wow, yet more fantastic pictures. You must have hundreds. I really love the south west of the USA for its scenery.

The unusually eroded rock looks to me like a snowman turned to rock. It needs some arms stuck on it.
Old Nov 17 2010, 07:29 PM   #34
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

The arch sort of reminds me of the entrance to Luap's Stronghold.

C. S. Lewis

Old Nov 20 2010, 09:03 PM   #35
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Hans' USA visit (1)

Hans...fantastic photos...this is really showing how wonderful your trip across the U.S. was...and how very much Marjon and you enjoyed it all. Can't wait to see the rest of them...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20 2010, 11:31 PM   #36
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

The "Nipple Rock" is called "Church Rock." I always thought it looked more like a Beehive, which always seemed relevant as Utah is "The Beehive State."

Also, I think the ruin you've got labeled as Long House is actually Cliff Palace.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2010, 05:37 AM   #37
Hans
Master Archivist

Thank you Linda Are you a little curious yet

Pam, thanks! I could not find the name of the rock. Will double check the Mesa verde photo.