A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jul 21 2010, 03:42 PM   #1
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Moreta
Now Reading: Never Let Me Go
Default The logic of klah:

It's the bark of a native tree, which when ground up and brewed produces a caffeinated beverage that tastes somewhere between coffee and chocolate with spices. But I was thinking today about what this means, as Pern seems to drink a LOT of it, and there's no evidence that like cocoa or coffee in pre-Industrial times, there's any shortage forcing it as a drink of the elite.

1. So: there are klah orchards where they farm it, right? In order for there to be a supply on Pern. How does one protect the klah orchards from Thread during a Pass?

2. Does it always shed bark, or is there a klah season?

3. If they first encounter this plant down south, does this mean they can only grow klah in tropical climatic regions? Like Ista and Boll? Or are there many different species of klah which shed edible bark, and thus Northern klah may not be anything like Southern klah.

I don't think the books ever address it, so: go wild with theories!
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22 2010, 03:29 AM   #2
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files
Default Re: The logic of klah:

Well, I vaguely remember Dragonsdawn mentioning that they found an alternative to coffee, since coffee itself didn't grow on Pern, but I don't remember if the bark they used came from either conifer, or deciduous trees, or if it can from a bush type plant. I'd assume the deciduous, or bush type plant, since its not found in mountainous terrain exclusively. That being said, the plants themselves could be in a variety of places, tropical through temperate. Since the pernese only seem interested in harvesting the bark, not nuts or fruits, it wouldn't really matter to them if there was a frost that would wreck havoc one any citrus type fruits etc...
I'd also note that klah was available at Benden Weyr at the beginning of Dragonflight, despite the dragonriders lowly status regarding tithes etc... so likely whatever produces klah is readily attainable throughout the northern continent.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22 2010, 05:05 PM   #3
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
2cent Re: The logic of klah:

In Dragonsong, after Menolly left Half Circle Sea Hold, she found a young stand of klah trees, the brew was harsh but it worked well. http://www.angelfire.com/on2/menai/p...tml#KlahbarkTr addition http://books.google.com/books?id=FTK...page&q&f=false

Here is Renegades of Pern,
http://books.google.com/books?id=52v...page&q&f=false

Here is Dolphins of Pern.
http://books.google.com/books?id=fqy...und%2C&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=fqy...ttener&f=false

Jayge also had three one with out sweetener, so some like it with it.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Jul 24 2010 at 12:39 AM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I would think they'd have to cultivate it. It's consumed in such large quantities and the Northern Continent is so ag-poor compared to the south you would drive it to extinction if you didn't.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24 2010, 12:52 AM   #5
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
I would think they'd have to cultivate it. It's consumed in such large quantities and the Northern Continent is so ag-poor compared to the south you would drive it to extinction if you didn't.
And trade it for other needing things.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 26 2010, 07:51 AM   #6
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Quote:
Unless it's something that sheds its bark, like some of the eucalyptus trees.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26 2010, 09:38 AM   #7
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Right, Vyon, there are at least a few that shed their bark and it does not destroy the tree. Birch and Sycamore are just two that come off the top of my head.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26 2010, 09:39 AM   #8
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyon View Post
Unless it's something that sheds its bark, like some of the eucalyptus trees.
There are a lot of trees that naturally shed bark, and I would assume the klah plants would be akin to these. With how commonly it is drunk it has to be readily available in plentiful supply, and it wouldn't make sense for the plant to be severely harmed by the harvesting of the bark - it would be wiped out far too quickly. There isn't much detail given about how klah is harvested, though the meth0d of making is clearly described - grind the bark into a powder and brew it much like coffee, with a long steep time to leech the flavor from the bark. It has to be filtered to remove the bark grinds from the drink before serving. Taste is indicated both as a blend of chocolate and coffee, and as having a cinnamon flavor.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26 2010, 05:13 PM   #9
skywaterblue
Heavyworlder

Fan of: Moreta
Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

Quote:
That's my thinking. Admittedly, been a while since I read through it, but the DLG doesn't mention it being farmed though farming is a natural consequence even if it is common and grows in every climate. When you set up a new Cothold, you'd want to bring a klah sapling along to plant.

But I also think it probably has to be imported at some point - plants that evolved in a Southern climate probably don't translate well to say, High Reaches.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27 2010, 05:51 AM   #10
vyon

You'd get around that by having several varieties of klahbark trees, just as there are different varieties of coffee that grow under different conditions.
Old Jul 27 2010, 04:20 PM   #11
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

The point of cultivating is not that stripping it somehow kills/harms the tree. The point is relying on native/wild populations when you're talking about a trade good and high-consumption commodity is impractical at best. We COULD, theoretically, let apples and nut trees and coffee bushes grow wild and just gather them wherever they happen to grow, but our supply would drop substantially and the price would go up. And, if demand were high enough, you would outstrip the limited wild population's ability to repair itself. In cases where it's turned out you CAN'T domesticate a plant for whatever reason, when it's a high-demand item, it ends up extinct. Probably the most famous case in point is silphium. Silphium, for some reason, couldn't be turned into a domestic crop. Unfortunately for the plant it was such massive demand as a seasoning and medicinal in ancient Rome it was literally driven to extinction (that plus overgrazing the area it grew in.) It was gone by the early Empire. Given its closest counterpart as far as flavor and taste go is thought to be the VERY pungent asofoetida (popular in India, known in some European languages as "devil's dung") one wonders about their sense of taste.
Old Jul 29 2010, 08:15 AM   #12
vyon

I thought that was exactly the problem with American Slippery Elm?
Google is not my friend tonight!
Old Jul 29 2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Chimaerrha
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Going along with what GinnyStar said, here are some klah references:

DoP on.:

Quote:
Back in the kitchen, he heated water and ground more klah bark because the jar was empty. One thing for sure he knew would be needed was plenty of klah.
DD on.:

Quote:
I’ve klah for you,” he said, gesturing to the fire where he had rigged a spit and a protecting rock for his kettle.
“That abominable stuff,” she exclaimed. She had a fleet-incurred preference for strong coffee, and the last had been served at that pathetic Thanksgiving shindig — and spilled when the tremor had shaken the urns from their stands. The last coffee from Earth had seeped, undrunk, into the dirt of Pern.
“Oh, if you use enough sweetening, it’s not all that bad.” He poured her a cup even though she had not said that she wanted one. “They say it’s got as much caffeine in it as coffee or tea. The secret’s in drying the bark thoroughly before grinding and steeping it.
ATWoP on.:

Quote:
The huge klah pot was pulled slightly to one side so that the contents would not become too strong to be palatable.
Chimaerrha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2010, 02:28 AM   #14
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

Well, found a reference in DD that klah was a shrub type plant. don't know how that might make a difference in the long run, botany is not really in my skills set.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2010, 03:38 AM   #15
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Red face Re: The logic of klah:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost8772 View Post
Well, found a reference in DD that klah was a shrub type plant. don't know how that might make a difference in the long run, botany is not really in my skills set.
Nor is mine but here is some on both klah and meat roll from http://books.google.com/books?id=3QB...0Lessa&f=false

Its took some digging, but I would take to say that trading of food stuff for smithcraft would be some, saying its found in other spots.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 1 2010, 02:24 PM   #16
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

Fan of: Pern,Talents,Shellpeople
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern, The Skies of Pern
White Re: The logic of klah:

somehow, with them always calling it bark, i've visualized it as being bark that sheds off pretty much all year around, like eucalyptus. i grew up with that tree in our back yard, and all over in southern California, and most types have stringy bark that sheds off in long strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywaterblue View Post
It's the bark of a native tree, which when ground up and brewed produces a caffeinated beverage that tastes somewhere between coffee and chocolate with spices. But I was thinking today about what this means, as Pern seems to drink a LOT of it, and there's no evidence that like cocoa or coffee in pre-Industrial times, there's any shortage forcing it as a drink of the elite.

1. So: there are klah orchards where they farm it, right? In order for there to be a supply on Pern. How does one protect the klah orchards from Thread during a Pass?

2. Does it always shed bark, or is there a klah season?

3. If they first encounter this plant down south, does this mean they can only grow klah in tropical climatic regions? Like Ista and Boll? Or are there many different species of klah which shed edible bark, and thus Northern klah may not be anything like Southern klah.

I don't think the books ever address it, so: go wild with theories!
LadyDeerskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2010, 10:14 PM   #17
Eriflor

Klah production might be something like that of cinnamon, which also comes from a tree-bark. I don't know a thing about cinnamon production, but there must be something about it in Wikipedia.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2010, 11:28 PM   #18
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

when i compaired it to eucalyptus, i was not thinking of the taste of that bark, just what might be what the bark look like and ease/quantity of it for harvest. it seemed to be always in some stage of shedding long strips of bark, and depending on the type of tree, some of it was thicker, some more delicate and crumbly.

i remember the Jody Lee Nye "DLG" saying something about klah, and without going to dig out my book, wasnt there mention of the taste being somewhat of cinnimon and chocolate? i've always meant to try some of the recipies in there, see how they go over with my kids! ^_^
Old Sep 22 2010, 01:44 AM   #19
Kizz
Inactive

Fan of: DragonSinger
Now Reading: Uncle Tom's Cabin

This society was founded to be very non-industrial, and quite agrarian wasn't it? Would these people get to the point of outstripping their resources in this ideal society? And the way they're somewhat holed up during passes, are they going to be out decimating everything?

Also, I imagine the plant life must be pretty hardy to survive thread. :-)
Kizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22 2010, 01:23 PM   #20
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

No society can ever maintain a communal ideal. It flies in the face of resources always being limited (not to mention higher-primate nature). The Pernese dumped their intended system pretty much when Thread started falling, but it would have eventually become unsustainable anyway.

While DURING A PASS there might be restraint, remember that's only fifty years. There's two hundred between them, more than four hundred during the two long intervals. How common the klah trees are and how quickly they recover from being harvested would determine whether or not they need to cultivate them or whether the wild stock recovered fast enough it wasn't an issue.
Old Sep 23 2010, 02:59 PM   #21
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

Gold Re: The logic of klah:

that was one thing that made me think of the kind of bark eucalyptus trees have....it seems to shed off year round, in long trips. the trees are usually tall, so the strips are long, hence a good supply of bark. in California, where im from originally, about 70 years ago people got the idea of getting rich quick by planting huge groves of eucalyptus trees, which grow tall pretty fast, and lumbering them for building materials. problem is, that the wood doesnt act right when it dries, so it makes lousy lumber. the only problem with the tree is that it has shallow roots, and when there is a combination of soaking rain, with a Santana wind, the trees fall over pretty easily. but plant groves together, or as windbreaks for the orange and avocado groves, they did pretty well

so there is a tree type that the klah tree could be based on, in terms of having enough of it in fast growing groves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizz View Post
This society was founded to be very non-industrial, and quite agrarian wasn't it? Would these people get to the point of outstripping their resources in this ideal society? And the way they're somewhat holed up during passes, are they going to be out decimating everything?

Also, I imagine the plant life must be pretty hardy to survive thread. :-)
Old Sep 23 2010, 08:15 PM   #22
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDeerskin View Post
that was one thing that made me think of the kind of bark eucalyptus trees have....it seems to shed off year round, in long trips. the trees are usually tall, so the strips are long, hence a good supply of bark. in California, where im from originally, about 70 years ago people got the idea of getting rich quick by planting huge groves of eucalyptus trees, which grow tall pretty fast, and lumbering them for building materials. problem is, that the wood doesnt act right when it dries, so it makes lousy lumber. the only problem with the tree is that it has shallow roots, and when there is a combination of soaking rain, with a Santana wind, the trees fall over pretty easily. but plant groves together, or as windbreaks for the orange and avocado groves, they did pretty well

so there is a tree type that the klah tree could be based on, in terms of having enough of it in fast growing groves.
-------------
And then there's cinnamon! I found 2 articles on growing it:

"Cinnamon is harvested by growing the cinnamon tree for two years. On the third year shoots are stripped of their bark and left to dry. These shoots dry and become quills (cinnamon sticks) that are up to a metre in length. These quills are then cut into 5 to 10 cm long pieces."

AND

"Cinnamon is native to Sri Lanka, and, originally, it was the only place where the spice was grown. It is actually the bark of the laurel tree. There are a few varieties of the tree that produces cinnamon. The C. Zeylanicum is the “original” cinnamon tree of antiquity, but today cinnamon is grown more commonly from the C. Cassia tree. Today, cinnamon is still grown in Sri Lanka, but is also cultivated in India, Sumatra, Java, Brazil, Vietnam, The West Indies, Egypt, Zanzibar, and Madagascar.

Growing cinnamon is not an easy task. The tree must be grown for two years, after which it is cut down. The next year, little shoots appear. These shoots are stripped of their thin inner bark. The bark is dried and the outcome is cinnamon! Cinnamon sticks are curled up the way they are because this is the natural way the bark dries after being stripped from the tree.

Many plantations keep the trees to a small bush size. Nevertheless, the Laurel tree can grow up to 65 feet. The stems are cut back on a continuous basis so new stems will grow and more bark can be cut. When cut, the inner lining and outer bark are scraped off and the rest is left to dry. It eventually curls into what is called quills, and in true cinnamon, these quills are rolled together for the final product."
Old Sep 24 2010, 04:01 AM   #23
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriflor View Post
-------------
And then there's cinnamon! I found 2 articles on growing it:

"Cinnamon is harvested by growing the cinnamon tree for two years. On the third year shoots are stripped of their bark and left to dry. These shoots dry and become quills (cinnamon sticks) that are up to a metre in length. These quills are then cut into 5 to 10 cm long pieces."

AND

"Cinnamon is native to Sri Lanka, and, originally, it was the only place where the spice was grown. It is actually the bark of the laurel tree. There are a few varieties of the tree that produces cinnamon. The C. Zeylanicum is the “original” cinnamon tree of antiquity, but today cinnamon is grown more commonly from the C. Cassia tree. Today, cinnamon is still grown in Sri Lanka, but is also cultivated in India, Sumatra, Java, Brazil, Vietnam, The West Indies, Egypt, Zanzibar, and Madagascar.

Growing cinnamon is not an easy task. The tree must be grown for two years, after which it is cut down. The next year, little shoots appear. These shoots are stripped of their thin inner bark. The bark is dried and the outcome is cinnamon! Cinnamon sticks are curled up the way they are because this is the natural way the bark dries after being stripped from the tree.

Many plantations keep the trees to a small bush size. Nevertheless, the Laurel tree can grow up to 65 feet. The stems are cut back on a continuous basis so new stems will grow and more bark can be cut. When cut, the inner lining and outer bark are scraped off and the rest is left to dry. It eventually curls into what is called quills, and in true cinnamon, these quills are rolled together for the final product."
The klah bushes that Menolly used were young, brew was hard but work well.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Nov 13 2010, 05:50 PM   #24
Tamara Henson
Inactive

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey

I always assumed klah was a cinnamon like plant too. The description given (as both a 'shrub' and a 'tree' with edible bark) just seemed cinnamon-like to me. I never thought about eucalyptus, though I know it's bark is used to make cough drops.
Tamara Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13 2010, 07:34 PM   #25
LadyDeerskin
Inactive

White Re: The logic of klah:

yes, and the leaves are used to stuff dog beds as a flea repellent, at least they used to, when i lived in California.

i was just suggesting the euca bark, because theres a lot of it on each tree, each year, and reproduces fast. forget what it smells like here ( though i love it, personally...reminder of home), and just think of how you need a LOT of bark, trees that reproduce it fast, and grinds into a powder easily.

but thats the fun of a book like this....i think of it this way, and others can imagine it their way. my husband thinks of the dragons as having scales, because the covers of the books he first read had them looking that way. to me, its always going to be Michael Weland, with Ruth and Orlith as the perfect representations, because i love those two the most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Henson View Post
I always assumed klah was a cinnamon like plant too. The description given (as both a 'shrub' and a 'tree' with edible bark) just seemed cinnamon-like to me. I never thought about eucalyptus, though I know it's bark is used to make cough drops.
Old Mar 18 2012, 11:55 AM   #26
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

I understand that if you leave it too long, it well get too strong to drink, and I think bitter
How would they brew it? I understand that you grind it, but what would use to make it, ideas below

A basket, like when you perk coffee?
an oversize tea bag,
Tea basket

For we don't hear of folks getting the bark in their klah, only time I've recall bad klah was the time at the Smithcrafthall, from Dragonquest

I've got a 'taking from real life and translated earth into Pern, idea for a fan fiction storyline and its stalled out on me, blushing
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Mar 19 2012, 05:24 AM   #27
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Could be they used a pot like the old cowboy ones: chuck in a handful of grounds, fill it up with water, boil it, pour it into your mug, and strain out the grounds with your teeth!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19 2012, 06:30 AM   #28
Lily

I thought that's what a moustache was for????
Old Mar 19 2012, 02:17 PM   #29
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

There is a story about the team that first discovered Pern. I do not remember the title.
It that story the on planet team ground up bark to make a coffee like drink. I do not remember much else.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2012, 07:41 AM   #30
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

In the PERN encyclopedia it is discribed as a tree. (see the pern museum & archives)
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2012, 02:01 PM   #31
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Could be they used a pot like the old cowboy ones: chuck in a handful of grounds, fill it up with water, boil it, pour it into your mug, and strain out the grounds with your teeth!
It could be, but we don't hear anyone complaning about bark in their klah,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Mar 24 2012, 01:16 AM   #32
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

Maybe they use a sort of cheesecloth strainer sometimes?
Old Mar 24 2012, 02:19 PM   #33
Brenda

Coffee filter. French press.

We make coffee in a saucepan and then pour it through a filter. So it sits and steeps a while, rather than just dripping through.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 07:18 PM   #34
DSDragon
Inactive

Fan of: All of them.
Now Reading: Dragondrums (again . . . for the nth time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
There is a story about the team that first discovered Pern. I do not remember the title.
It that story the on planet team ground up bark to make a coffee like drink. I do not remember much else.
It's called "The P.E.R.N.c Report," and it was in The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall. (The "c" was in the superscript position in the short story collection, but this board doesn't have that capability.)
DSDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 10:44 PM   #35
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Coffee filter. French press.

We make coffee in a saucepan and then pour it through a filter. So it sits and steeps a while, rather than just dripping through.
People who drink loose-leaf tea often use a little metal strainer to strain the tea when brewed, or put the leaves in an enclosed 'tea-ball' that allows the water to pass through the leaves.

Eriflor.
Old May 17 2012, 04:22 AM   #36
Dannette
Inactive

Fan of: The Ship who Searched
Now Reading: Moreta, Dragonlady of Pern

Ok, my half-mark's worth.

1) Perhaps in it's shrub form, klah can be grown on windowsills or in a well lit room, in pts, sort of like a houseplant, but edible. Especially if the bark-shedding idea works, even a Weyr might be able to grow their own (maybe in an Interval, in Summer, in pots on the fire heights or in the Weyr bowl?)

2) For the larger trees, perhaps it's not just lumber wood or fruit in an orchard wood stand? Maybe they are interspersed with the other productive trees? Or maybe the klah tree/shrum natually grows in a shady environment, making it a good undergrowth or spacing plant? How much light do they need, and can they function in low-light conditions? Klah-growing in heavily-glowed caverns anybody?

3) How fast does klah grow? If it grows anything like Japanese knotweed, even heavy use of it wouldn't totally decimate it? Have any plants on Pern developed swift growth to deal with Threadfall denudation? Does it have underground rhizomes with which to spread and grow and flower and seed (At least in the early and late years of a Pass) before that same area is hit by Thread again (and as a matter of interest, how long does it take for thread to fall over the exact same area twice?)

Just a few thoughts...

Dannette.
Dannette is offline   Reply With Quote