A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Mar 6 2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Litwolf
Drudge

Now Reading: Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs
Default Of Graphic Novels and Posters

I had a few questions I was hoping to be answered concerning the Dragonflight graphic novel and various Pern posters Ive heard of.

I didnt even realize there was a graphic novel until about a month ago when I was doing random searches on DRoP. Much to my delight, I found a copy of the graphic novel on PaperBackSwap.com; something I immidiatly grabbed because I had read on another thread that it was a rare book that is often priced for a large sum. I recieved it in the mail, read it, and very much enjoyed it. I had wondered, does anyone know how much of a hand Anne McCaffrey had in deciding the artwork and how all the characters, dragon, and watchwhers look? The covers of each DRoP book vary so much that Ive always had to simply make up my own image of what the dragons look like in my head. Could the dragons in the graphic novel be considered the closest to the image of Pern dragons in Anne McCaffrey's brain?

Also, I remember hearing something about Pern posters, some having to do with releases of previous Pern books, some for the graphic novels, and some just random ones. Is there anywhere online they can be bought, or simply a site where I can look at them? At the very least, I want to know what they look like.
Litwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6 2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Of Graphic Novels and Posters

Do a search on THIS forum for the graphics and posters

I've done a collecting highlight on the graphics and you can read all about the various editions, with pictures here.

Moving this to the collectors forum.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6 2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

It would be unusual for Anne to have had any say in the artwork for the graphic novel, and I've never heard any hints that she did. I have however noticed that the characters have a reasonable resemblance to the portraits done for the People of Pern book, and those were done with Anne's full consultation and approval. So, in a round about way, her ideas on the look of the characters was followed.

There are three posters that go along with the the graphic novel, matching the covers of the three issues it was initially released in.

Definitely go read the thread that Hans linked too, there are good details there about the graphic novel and the posters.

As for posters for other books, there are a number that exist. They were generally made to promote the release of a new book, and are typically smaller than the graphic novel posters, on the order of 12x18 inches. These will have text on them to advertise the book. Then there are also larger art posters featuring the cover art with no text, released by the artist(s) that created them. I know that Michael Whelan has sold posters of most of the Pern covers he did; I don't know about other artists.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6 2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Victoria Poyser's art for the SFBC Harper Hall trilogy is for sale as a poster. There's a thread with info about that somewhere here, too

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Mar 6 2009, 09:43 PM   #5
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I'm not one for collecting posters etc but I did like the graphic novel and have the UK & US versions now (thanks to the collecting highlight that was provided - and thanks to Hans, Cheryl and Becky who bring these highlights up). So it does help to read through the highlights.

Actually here's a "collecting highlight" for Hans, Cheryl or Becky: What about the dinosaur planets and the planet pirate series? I have at least 2 different covers there of each book and I know there's more so is it possible to have one done on that particular series??

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6 2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Litwolf
Drudge

Thanks for correcting my mistake, Hans. And pointing me in the direction of that highlight thread. I had seen it before but was having trouble finding it.

Cheryl, thanks for the info on posters. If anyone happens to know a gallery which one could gaze on them... that would be wonderful! ^_^
Old Mar 7 2009, 03:19 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litwolf View Post
<snip>Cheryl, thanks for the info on posters. If anyone happens to know a gallery which one could gaze on them... that would be wonderful! ^_^
Working hard on that! (the new Art Gallery of the Pern Museum & archives). I have to ask for a little bit more of your patience...

Old Mar 8 2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Victoria Poyser's art for the SFBC Harper Hall trilogy is for sale as a poster. There's a thread with info about that somewhere here, too
Oooh, must find that one.

I stumbled upon a signed, numbered Poyser print of "The Forgotten Beasts of Eld" at a thrift store. For $4.00. I had a frame with matting that was the perfect size & color, so now it's hanging in my bedroom.

I love her work.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Litwolf
Drudge

Im just glad to know its a work-in-progress, Hans. I shall be paitent! ^_^