A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Aug 24 2011, 09:34 AM   #1
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Hurricane stories

I thought we could start something related to Irene and maybe even some "old" hurricane stories, to wile the time away until she gets here. Gather round the campfire and we'll have a rousing chorus of "Good Night, Irene, Good Night, Irene, I'll see you in my dreams"!

I'll start. Back in 1954, when I was only 2 1/2, we had a hurricane that hit the Connecticut shore. I don't believe they even named them back then. Anyway, my mother's parents were living with us back then and my mom left me with them and took my 8 year old brother with her to the train station to collect my dad ahead of the storm. While they were gone the local National Guard showed up at the house and insisted we had to be evacuated. My grandfather swung his cane at them and refused to go, but we finally had to - leaving the kitchen table all set up with food. When my mom, dad and brother got home we were nowhere to be found. Turned out we'd been taken to the local armory with a large number of others. A short while later we ended up at our minister's house for overnight. My two old lady cousins in the house next door to ours hid and rode out the storm. Wish I had!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2011, 10:08 PM   #2
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Default Re: Hurricane stories

Well, I've got a weather relaed one, but right now I'm heading for bed, ealry to bed, for I've some folks going to try and help me 'clean out this computer of ours.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2011, 10:57 PM   #3
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

No hurricanes that I remember. There was one when I was very young.

When we went cross counntry our first stop was Hurshy PA. We were watching a show and kept hearing thunder, we thought it was part of the show. When we got out of the show we discovered that the amuzement park that was next to the Chocolate World where we were had been evacuated to where we were. Guards were at all the doors and would not let anyone out or even close to the windows. There had been tornatos spotted in the area. It was scary.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2011, 11:49 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

STAY SAFE Cilla...don't do anything silly will'ya, you got a basement perhaps using it would be a good idea!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26 2011, 07:08 AM   #5
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

H.S., I don't do anything silly where hurricanes are concerned! We are well prepared, even have a gas powered generator for after if the power goes out (which I expect). Lots of batteries, flashlights, non-perishable foods, water, etc. Oh, and plenty of cat food and cat treats!
Old Aug 26 2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

For living in Missouri, hundreds of miles from any ocean, I've been fairly close to a hurricane, twice. The first time was when I was about 10 or so. We went to Florida on vacation and were pretty well hotel bound for almost 3 days while it stormed. I was pretty sick from sunburn for part of the time anyway, but the storm was part of a hurricane that was brushing the Florida coast. We weren't in the direct path, but it was bad enough.

The second time was Lackland, Texas in 1967. I was just out of basic training in the US air Force, and was awaiting orders. They had me on area guard (the sort of duty they gave us to keep us from having fun just sitting around) and I could actually see the leading edge of the rainstorm come across the base right at me that turned out to be the tailwinds of Hurricane Beulah. When I left for Illinois 3 days later, it was still raining.

We got a lot of storms around here in 2008, thanks to Hurricane Ike. I've posted pictures of the water running in usually dry creekbeds around here.
Old Aug 26 2011, 07:52 PM   #7
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

This area routinely gets the tail ends of anything that comes up the east coast. We get high winds and heavy rains, trees down, flooding, power outtages... which we can get during a bad thunderstorm cell moving through, or a Nor'easterner, or a major blizzard. We deal, and move ahead.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

At the moment the eye of the hurricane is scheduled to go pretty much directly over where our son lives in Stamford, CT!
Old Aug 28 2011, 03:14 PM   #9
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

I think it was during Hurricane Bob that I was in the barn, madly clipping my show cows (6) before the power went out. I didn't finish and went to the fair with one less cow. that's also the one where my dad and I, fans of storm produced destruction, drove around the "block" to see downed trees. Not the smartest thing we've ever done.

Hurricane Gloria I was quite small and remember carrying all the toys I cared about down to the basement in case we had to go down there. We didn't. And all my toys were now down there. I was very cross about having to carry them back up. I also remember everything in the freezer melting because we were out of power for quite some time.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2011, 08:30 PM   #10
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Well, Irene is "only" a tropical storm now. She has still caused a lot of trouble around here, mainly due to flooding. There was a mudslide that took out three houses across the river in Troy...no one got hurt, thank goodness! (HOW no one got hurt, the fire crew is still trying to figure out.) Lost a few bridges, and one of the dams...another one over-flowed, but the dam itself is still intact.
Old Aug 29 2011, 12:12 PM   #11
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I thought for hurricanes you headed up not down. I never relized that people would go to the basement for protection.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29 2011, 04:11 PM   #12
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

IF you aren't in a low area, basements are the best bet, Mawra.

We took a walk over to the river this afternoon, to see how high it is. Originally, they said it would crest in this area around 2. Now some reports are saying 7pm. My former roommate was evacuating when we went to check on her. Her, 3 weiner dogs, a cat, her brother's two dogs and her stepson are headed to the son's grilfriend's for a day or two. There are three apartments in the house. Bill (brother) is staying, and so is the other tenent...unless, of course, they can't get in later....

Pictures are in the Exhibition Room
Old Aug 29 2011, 09:37 PM   #13
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

There would have to be biblical amounts of flooding for the house I grew up in to be under water. Hence, the basement.

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2 2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Our power was out from 9 am Sunday to 7 pm Wednesday. We just got internet and tv back this evening. We were very lucky. We only lost one small ornamental tree in the yard. Others were not so fortunate, there were many trees down all around the area. In the town we used to live, a 30 ft sailboat broke it's mooring and ended up on someone's front lawn! Also, two towns away, 4 homes right on the shore were completely washed into the sea.
Old Sep 11 2011, 08:58 PM   #15
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Our power was out from 9 am Sunday to 7 pm Wednesday. We just got internet and tv back this evening. We were very lucky. We only lost one small ornamental tree in the yard. Others were not so fortunate, there were many trees down all around the area. In the town we used to live, a 30 ft sailboat broke it's mooring and ended up on someone's front lawn! Also, two towns away, 4 homes right on the shore were completely washed into the sea.
Oh my glad to hear you are safe, and reading some of this has given an idea or two
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote