A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Mar 2 2011, 05:39 AM   #1
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree
Gold "Walker This Way"

Last week on my almost daily online hunt for books, I came across something that nearly stopped my heart. I had to rub my eyes and look twice because I could not believe that someone was offering a Walker & Co. Dragonflight for only USD $60.00!! Even though it is an ex library copy, I thought the price was pretty good so I contacted the seller straight away requesting photos. I did not expect it to be in very good condition, so I was amazed to see that despite the ghastly library markings, the book was in excellent condition. Even better, I bargained the seller down to USD $49.00 (I did feel a little bad, but hey...), and so now I have my very own copy!!!

Initially I had thought to take it to a book restorer to see if I can have some of the library markings removed, but now that I have the book, I'm not so sure it will be possible. Unfortunately the DJ has been glued to the book (not the whole thing, only the edges have been pasted to the front & back cover). I suppose they may be able to remove the glue but I am afraid they will damage the book. When I called to ask what could be done about the inside lib markings, they said they may be able to unbind the book or remove the FFEP. I hung up on them (just kidding) but there is no way in hell I will allow them to do that!! I might still take it in & see if they can do anything. I must admit the stickers on the DJ bother me a little... I have seen someone offering an original DJ only for sale, but is $100 which is more then I paid for the book. What do you guys think? I know Hans' thoughts on this, but am curious what others would do... Would you try & pretty it up a little? I have no plans to resell but It would be good if I could make it look nicer. The book itself is in superb condition, except for a slight spine lean. Also the gold tipped pages at the top have faded quite a bit, which is a shame.

Still, I am VERY happy with my purchase. Now I have all 3 of the DF 1st ed. HC's. And ths time, I have the "official" one!

Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: "Walker This Way"

Congrats, that's a great deal Sam! Like you said, you know my thoughts but I am interested in others' opinion too.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2011, 02:57 AM   #3
diogenese
Loo Cow

Fan of: White Dragon
Now Reading: King of the Murgos

My thought on library copies is probably different to most. To me I kind of prefer library copies, especially if they have a whole host of lending stamps as to me that means the book has been read and enjoyed (hopefully) by many people.
A sterile unread copy seems a waste of paper to me

$49 seems like a bargain to me
diogenese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2011, 06:00 AM   #4
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I agree that the marks are part of the volume's life history, so why deny it.

However, most of the sticky labels on the plastic cover are removable with either surgical spirit or acetone (nailvarnish remover) depending on the goo used originally.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2011, 07:51 AM   #5
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Interesting...

Diogenese - I dont think your thoughts on ex - lib books are that different to other people's here. So far people who agree with Hans = 2, people who agree with me = 0. And yes, $49 was a bargain!

P'ter - Unfortuantely the stickers on the actual DJ, not the cover.

Hans - looks like the 'nays' have it!

Anyone else care to put their two cents in?
Old Mar 3 2011, 08:18 PM   #6
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I have to admit, I prefer not to have stickers of any kind on my books. If you can get the sticker off without tearing the DJ (warm it to soften the adhesive maybe?) the rest of the sticky may be able to be removed by Goo Gone. I've used it with good results on paperbacks and dust jackets.
Old Mar 3 2011, 10:21 PM   #7
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Ah, someone who leans to my way of thinking on this issue.

I think getting the sticker off the DJ without tearing it will be the main problem. There is no way of knowing how long it has been there. I'll check out this Goo Begone stuff. Thanks for the tip Kevia!
Old Mar 3 2011, 11:27 PM   #8
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I picked up a 1st edition of Dragonsong (or was it Dragonsinger? I did say somewhere in one of the threads that I found a good copy) at my local library, brought it and only worked out that it was a first edition when a collecting highlight was done on it.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4 2011, 02:10 AM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Well it looks like you got a fantastic bagain today...and I will agree with Hans, Peter and Diogenese...I rather enjoy the library editions of Anne's books. Like it was said above, it gives it a history...a very definite personality all it's own.
I have a U.S. 1st of *The Ship Who Sang* and it is unbelievalbly beat up in almost every manner you can think of for a collectible...but all the pages are there and readable, just don't try and stand it up all on it's own...LOL...BUT I wouldn't sell or trade this book for anything...even a sealed in a vault since printing perfect copy , especially since Anne herself and I had a wonderful chuckle over it when she kindly signed it to me. It is one of my most cherrished treasures.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2011, 01:54 AM   #10
Samsara
Dragon Healer

I thought you would feel that way Lady Maelin!

I love your story about Anne signing your 1st ed. 'Ship Who Sang'. I can totally see why you love it so much!
Old Mar 6 2011, 01:41 AM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

In my collection I have several VERY special books that have wonderful stories about them...some that include Anne, and some that include some wonderful friends.

I believe thats what makes collecting really worth it to a fan of a beloved story or treasure...the memories that your stories/books/treasures have, either in themselves or in your personal memories with them...thats the fun of it, what makes it wonderfully special.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote