A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Nov 10 2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Jnet
Muskie

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Smile Hi and a question

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering around these pages for a few days and wanted to officially say hi. I just recently got into collecting McCaffrey's Pern series. I read all of these books back in high school, then when I got out of college I discovered that she and her son had written more books! (Not much time in school to devote to reading for fun). My interest in the series was renewed, and I decided it would be a good idea to replace my old paperbacks with hardcopies that would last longer. I ordered most of them from Thriftbooks.com and was surprised to have received mostly first addition copies. I was even more surprised that one book, Dragonsdawn, was not only a first edition but signed! I never would have thought that I'd have the signature of my favorite author.

Once I started looking for more of her earlier work, I learned that her work is apparently very collectible and hard to obtain However I managed to find a 1st ed. Dragonsong on Amazon for under $10 and bought it. I have a question though. It is listed as Dragonsong (Dragonsong Nrf). Any idea what the Nrf means? It is publised by Atheneum. ISBN-10: 0689305079. I'd appreciate any help Thanks!
Jnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10 2010, 11:46 PM   #2
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line
Default Re: Hi and a question

I'm afraid I can't help you with your question, but I'm sure some of the others here will know and share the answer. We have some very knowledgeable and kind people here!
Old Nov 11 2010, 12:49 AM   #3
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

Hi there Jnet! I believe it means 'near fine', which refers to the condition of the book. Hope that helps!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2010, 03:59 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Hi Jnet, welcome to the board and welcome to collecting McCaffrey. You find Anne's books hard to obtain? Let me tell you that a good number of her books are much easier to come by now than they were Besides, the hunt is one of the best parts of collecting I think.

Feel free to ask any question. And great price on the Dragonsong hardcover!

Good luck!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Solitary
Jewel Junk

Fan of: Anything with Dragons

I have to agree with Hans.............hunting for the books is a blast......I sure do appreciate some of the books in my collection a whole lot more with the scrounging, racing........and nail biting

One of my best challenges is finding an established long series that I started reading and like very much...............then starting the hunt for 1st editions

Enjoy the hunt!
Solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11 2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Jnet
Muskie

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Samsara - That would make sense, except not all of the listings under that heading (Dragonsong (Dragonsong Nrf)) on Amazon were described as being in near fine condition. Most were just Acceptable or Good. The one I got, under the same heading, was listed as Very Good.

Hans - I guess I should have clarified that by hard to obtain, I meant hard to obtain in my very limited budget Particularly the 1978 Del Rey hardcover. Really want that and Dragonquest so I have a complete set. I'd have to get really lucky for that to happen any time soon.

and Solitary - I agree, "the hunt" and waiting for that next great deal/find is most exciting
Jnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12 2010, 08:15 PM   #7
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

I recall this cover, its was a large print, library edition.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote