A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 28 2007, 04:04 AM   #1
Kaya
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Maximum Ride - by J. Patterson
Default Size of dragonets?

Shamefully, it's been a while since I've picked up and read a Pern novel. *sniff* However, I do keep a close watch on Pern actively and have many friends with which I discuss it.

We recently discovered that no one had any idea just how big newly hatched dragonets (baby dragons, not the fire lizards) are - how does a new born Gold compare to a Green? - and so on.

Does anyone have any information or speculation on the sizes of each color (say oh...about ninth pass time)?

---

Mentioning fire-lizards above, does anyone know how big newly hatched fire lizards are? How large are full grown ones?

---

What about Whers?

---

I'm afraid I'll drive everyone here insane with my incessent question asking. I do apologize. It's in my nature, though I love to try and answer questions too.

Thanks
~Kaya

PS- If it's not noticeable already, I'm new, though I've been lurking here a while. Hi all. -wave-
Kaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2007, 05:32 AM   #2
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Size of dragonets?

Acording to DLG Ruth is only 20 long when full grown.It was mention, in DF., that he was small enough to pick-up. But he was very smal compared to the rest. Other that there is know real refrence point. Sorry I could l not be of more help.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2007, 05:45 AM   #3
Kaya
Inactive

Thanks for trying. I was hoping someone would at least speculate some. ^^
I just recently had an issue with a role player trying to have a newly Impressed GoldRider's 6' 2" cousin try and carry her dragonet (long story) off the Sands. Now, in my book Golds are pretty big, even when they're little.
Thus the whole discussion was brought up of "Just how big -are- dragonets?"

Wasn't there a picture somewhere of a boy who had Impressed a Bronze? The dragonet was rather large, his wings being longer than the boy's height (he was under the wing, kind of laying down I think). Anyone else remember this picture? *seaches DLG* Maybe it was in there...
Old Aug 28 2007, 05:54 AM   #4
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaya View Post
I just recently had an issue with a role player trying to have a newly Impressed GoldRider's 6' 2" cousin try and carry her dragonet (long story) off the Sands. Now, in my book Golds are pretty big, even when they're little.

There's a line in Dragonsdawn where Sorka says (in regard to Faranth) "You've gotten too big to carry". In the early passes, hatchling dragons were certainly portable - I'm guessing they'd hatch at about the size of a mature dog, but scrawnier and more spindly. Perhaps great dane sized by the 9th pass, and retriever in the first?

By the 9th pass, Ramoth hatches at a size that's big enough to rake a girl with her talons from the shoulder downwards - but you get the impression that she's raised herself up on two legs to do that. We see other ninth-pass hatchings (e.g. when Brekke was potentially going to re-impress) where the hatchling queens are of a size to nestle their heads into skirts. From that type of description, I very much doubt that a hatchling would be taller at the withers than a mature Dane. It'd most likely be smaller, and almost definitely lighter.

So yes, a human who was sturdy enough could probably carry a hatchling dragon off the sands, regardless of the pass. But really, it's not the done thing. If you've just had the proudest moment of your life, impressing a dragon... would you demean him or her by carrying them, as if they don't have the strength to walk for themselves?
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

Wasn't that line by Lessa in DF Kath?

Anyway you've already said what I was thinking.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Yes, I think you're right.

Another interesting snippet - when the 1st pass dragonets are ten days old, Sean reckons that they'll be ready to start learning to hunt in a controlled environment (penned sheep, I guess) a few weeks later, which would make them about a month old. Just another data-point for those of us interested in weyrling factoids.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2007, 07:38 AM   #7
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Hm, it was DF, I just flicked through it then.

I need to brush up on my weyrling data anyway, before I write any such stories.

On the hunting thing, Ramoth in DF is obviously capable of hunting when we get to that part in the Dragonflight chapter...does anyone have any idea how old she was then? I assumed at least a year and a half.

(Sean's comment keeps giving me this image of the dragonets playing "kelpie" with the sheep. )

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Old Aug 28 2007, 08:53 AM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Welcome, Kaya!

Newly hatched firelizards should be pretty tiny, maybe as long as your hand from head to tailtip, given how small their eggs are. You can picture roughly the egg size since we have the description of Menolly managing to hold three eggs in one hand.

Hmm, in Dragonsong at the hatching, Menolly thinks of the first hatched one as not much bigger than her hand.

Given how much food one seems to give a newly hatched firelizard, they sound much larger at times. I can't imagine it taking more than on chunk of food to fill so small a belly, but they certainly seem to stuff them with quite a number or morsels. Even if the chunks are smaller than I'm picturing, they can't be too small and still be called chunks, can they?
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2007, 05:58 PM   #9
Kaya
Inactive

Thank you for your input everyone! *smiles widely* ^^ I'm extremely pleased with the responces. I guess I never thought there'd be so many of them. *chuckles*

And I'm also wondering where you all got your spiffy avatars/icons, but that's probably a question for another thread/area or private message. You could mention here, but it doesn't fit with the thread topic.

Thanks so much, *saves page for future reference* ^^
~Kaya
Old Aug 28 2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Since your main question is asked and answered, no harm with a little topic drift.

Our avatars were done by a MoM member who is an artist, Lady Maelin. At this time she is no longer doing avatars for members, focussing on other artwork projects instead. You can find the full-size portrait versions of them in the Exhibit Hall (scattered among the other topics), or click on the link to Gallery in the top navigation bar.

If you're not to shy, head on over to the Cafe forum and introduce yourself in the "hello and welcome" topic stickied at the top of that forum. Then folks that haven't wandered into this topic will have a chance to greet you.
Old Aug 28 2007, 10:37 PM   #11
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Hi Kaya, glad to have you aboard.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29 2007, 01:42 AM   #12
Kaya
Inactive

I've seen mention of her name around here before and her art is truly amazing. I can't do realism, though I do enjoy art. And it's good she's working on projects, me thinks. It will benefit multiple people, instead of just one/a few. Cheers for her. =) And I think I shall wander over to the cafe' section, thank you Cheryl.

I'm so excited that I now have this site to lurk around, post questions, and with any luck I'll the answer to a few too. *amused*

Thanks all!
~Kaya
Old Aug 29 2007, 04:32 PM   #13
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Welcome, Kaya!

Newly hatched firelizards should be pretty tiny, maybe as long as your hand from head to tailtip, given how small their eggs are. You can picture roughly the egg size since we have the description of Menolly managing to hold three eggs in one hand.

Hmm, in Dragonsong at the hatching, Menolly thinks of the first hatched one as not much bigger than her hand.

Given how much food one seems to give a newly hatched firelizard, they sound much larger at times. I can't imagine it taking more than on chunk of food to fill so small a belly, but they certainly seem to stuff them with quite a number or morsels. Even if the chunks are smaller than I'm picturing, they can't be too small and still be called chunks, can they?
This is one area where I get thoroughly confused, too As you said, they're often described as being about the size of your hand at hatching, yet in Dragondrums it says that pieces of food should be about thumb sized to feed to them. That seems like a rather large piece for something so small, I would think that nothing more than small shreds would be best. Unless they have a mouth and throat like a snake, it seems like they wouldn't even be able to fit something thumb sized in their MOUTH let alone swallow it!

But given that a firelizard (which full grown is the length of a man's arm from nose to tail) can lay a good number of eggs, in order for a creature that size to be able to contain that many, the eggs would have to be no larger than golf balls at most. So the resulting hatchling couldn't be more than the length of your hand stretched out as far as it could go, and even smaller for the lesser colors. I just think that the size of food morsels is a flub, they couldn't possibly manage to eat more than tiny, tiny pieces, but I don't doubt that they could eat a great deal of it, they'd be round-bellied little critters after their first feed

As for dragonets, here is a visual guide which I think looks pretty accurate. http://www.kadanzer.org/pubart.php?id=S
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29 2007, 09:06 PM   #14
Kaya
Inactive

Yes, I see your point very clearly Spiff. Thank you. They are rather small little things then, aren't they? *snuggles Sliki* I've had my Blue forever. ^^

That size chart is simply amazing. I wouldn't say I agree with everything 100% (imagination refuses to accept things somethings, but ah well. To each their own) but I very much agree with a lot of the dragonet sizes and that's a great find there! ^-^ Thank you so much!

You guys have been so much help. I'm so pleased with the responce I got!
~Kaya
Old Aug 29 2007, 09:40 PM   #15
Cheryl
Master Archivist

What's the point of a message board, if not to engage in friendly discussion?
Old Aug 30 2007, 03:58 AM   #16
Dragongirl
Weyrling

To debate until our throats are ripped and torn?

Old Aug 30 2007, 07:12 PM   #17
Brenda

I think baby fire lizards' stomachs expand with their first meal!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4 2007, 10:58 AM   #18
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I think baby fire lizards' stomachs expand with their first meal!

With their quoted appetite, I'd almost think that their stomach was "between" to hold as much food as they do.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5 2007, 02:12 PM   #19
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
With their quoted appetite, I'd almost think that their stomach was "between" to hold as much food as they do.

GH
A built in deep-freezer!
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18 2007, 01:54 AM   #20
R'na
Dragonrider

Fan of: dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Random Fanfiction
Brown Re: Size of dragonets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaya View Post

Wasn't there a picture somewhere of a boy who had Impressed a Bronze? The dragonet was rather large, his wings being longer than the boy's height (he was under the wing, kind of laying down I think). Anyone else remember this picture? *seaches DLG* Maybe it was in there...
I believe the picture that you want is in the book "A Gift of Dragons". It's a picture of K'van impressing Heth.
R'na is offline   Reply With Quote