A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old May 24 2014, 10:36 PM   #2241
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: What is happening

Back is better. Robin (niece) is taking the striped one. Only two to go. Not that I believe we will get rid of them, no matter what Tammy & Mom say now.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2014, 04:23 PM   #2242
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

I'm glad you back is better, mawra.

Hans, I held a baby kitten for the first time this past weekend. I agree they are all adorable.
Old May 26 2014, 05:01 PM   #2243
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight

Thanks, everyone, for your patience and understanding. I seem to have control over my email again (famous last words!), but am now looking for a new client to replace Windows Live Mail. Anyone here use Thunderbird? If so, would you recommend it?
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 05:37 AM   #2244
Hans
Master Archivist

Anneli, I'm using gmail since the very first beginning now without any problems (I have multiple accounts). I do use Firefox now for years (avoiding Microsoft products for just as long because they are usually badly built and unsafe because it is always the stuff that's targeted) but never used Thunderbird.
Of course on the Apple I use their Mail program. Apple users still don't need virus scanners... Just some tools for safe surfing and a good firewall.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 10:17 PM   #2245
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

I pretty much have two E-Mail Accounts - Webmail and Hotmail (I have a Yahoo Account, but that's because I'm a member of several Yahoo Groups). Been a user of Firefox for several years. Used Chrome for a while, but found it a system hog.

As far as E-Mail Programs go, I used Incredimail for close to a decade up until a month ago when it started to keep freezing on me and stubbornly refusing to open or work properly.

Looking to find another Program like Incredimail at some stage.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 10:21 PM   #2246
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I have a yahoo account that I never use and a hotmail account that I rarely use. Most of my correspondence now goes either in texts or by Facebook (messages if it's private to one person).
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2014, 10:31 PM   #2247
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Melissa is going to have a yard sale to raise money to help with expenses when Seth has surgery. Melissa and Tammy were running errands this past weekend and saw a stack of very full boxes with a free sign on them so they stopped. They asked the woman if they could take the free sign down, and return for the boxes. When Melissa told her why she was having a yard sale she told Melissa that her mother had just died and she did not know what to do with all the stuff and was happy to give it to Melissa.

Melissa told the woman what she did not sale would be donated to a local charity auction, then to a local rescue squad rummage sale. Anything that did not sale there would be picked up by another group that would be able to use the stuff. The woman started crying, saying how happy her mother would have been to know that what she had would be put to helping others. Tammy said, after the third car load, both Melissa and the woman was crying.

One of the 4H families we know is getting ready to move and has 8 boxes for us. The yard sale will be on June 21. Not sure where yet. Melissa is hoping to have it at the girl's school or the church located behind their house.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old May 27 2014, 10:33 PM   #2248
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I use aol for email. I have a Yahoo account, but can never get into Yahoo.

Old May 28 2014, 10:58 AM   #2249
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I hope they do really well on the yard sale, maw. If I lived closer I would go! That is a lovely story about all the donations from that woman. There are MANY good people all over the world, we just seldom hear about them. Bad news sells.

Today is my daughter's birthday. All of us "went in" together and bought her a Samsung tablet. Tonight Mike is grilling filet steaks for all of us and with a big salad that will be dinner!
Old May 28 2014, 04:03 PM   #2250
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I hope you have a wonderful evening.

Old May 28 2014, 11:14 PM   #2251
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thanks for sharing Mawra. My thoughts will be with Melissa during the yard sale.

Priscilla, sounds yummy.
Old May 29 2014, 09:16 AM   #2252
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Yeah, I get to go to Charlottesville today. I have a UTI that I was hoping would go away on its own. Of course it didn't.

Old May 31 2014, 08:41 AM   #2253
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

So sorry, maw. Those things are miserable! I hope you are better soon!

Yesterday the middle school choruses Mike teaches were in a competition. They won first place in their division and first place overall! Nice trophies for the school display case and a lovely way for Mike to finish his first year of full-time teaching!

Today he and Jenn are up in Vermont. He has entered in a Tough Mudder race. As I understand it they walk/jog/run up and down a mountain 8 or 10 times (not sure how many) and some of their entrance fees go to charity. Jenn went to cheer them all on. There were over 1,000 people signed up. They also have to do physical challenges as part of the activity. Not my idea of fun. I like a nice hike in the woods, quietly and slow enough to look around. The hotel they are staying at has a hot tub. That may come in handy tonight for sore muscles!
Old May 31 2014, 10:52 AM   #2254
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I am going to take Kibby to a live action roll play game tonight. She not going to go very often it is about 2 hours away and she has to pay for gas and food.

Old May 31 2014, 10:42 PM   #2255
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Today we finally had the housewarming party (we moved in at the start of April!).

All went well, and I think our house has now become the default place for get togethers here. The amount of open plan space and layout seems to work ideally for that as several groups can be here doing different things but there are enough places for people to wander off if they need to find somewhere quiet for a while. Suffice to say the pool table was also a very large hit!

Also bought two Sinclair C5s off eBay...
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 10:47 PM   #2256
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I had never heard of those Sinclair things, thank goodness for Google! What will you do with them, more especially two of them? Interesting looking.
Old May 31 2014, 11:40 PM   #2257
Zelandeth

The thing you need to know about Milton Keynes is that you can basically cross from one side to the other via cycleways without ever needing to set foot on the public highway. So they will be used as intended as an actual mode of transport.

Took one out for a spin a few years back on a cycle path up in Aberdeen and remember it being fantastic fun, so look forward to being able to use one down here where off-street cycleways are so much more common, hence the fact that it's rather more practical!

They're very much a Brittish 1980s icon...and given where we live it seems rather appropriate I reckon...
Old Jun 1 2014, 05:44 AM   #2258
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Wow, Zelandeth post photos of them along with having fun. Your house sounds great.

Mawra, I hope everyone had a great time.

Pricilla that is awesome about your son's choruses.

May everyone have a wonderful June.
Old Jun 1 2014, 07:17 PM   #2259
Zelandeth

Here are the C5s having just arrived and been shoved in the rather chaotic garage (a lot of stuff that's in here will be moved to the shed when it gets installed, and a lot of the clutter in the background is my stuff that is awaiting organising following the move.

They need a bit of work, but nothing that looks impossible. Will get a couple of better photos tomorrow.

You *can* it turns out fit two of them in the back of a Saab 900, even though you can't then quite close the bootlid.
Old Jun 1 2014, 11:29 PM   #2260
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Thanks for the picture. They look great.
Old Jun 2 2014, 04:54 PM   #2261
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I want one.

We had a good time over the weekend. Sat. was a very nice day to be out and about. It was just the right temp. A little warm, but with a cool breeze.

Old Jun 2 2014, 08:25 PM   #2262
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

We had dinner tonight at The Chowder Pot (thought of you, Anneli), celebrating our 35th anniversary. It was as delicious as ever. Later I have a pan of chocolate peanut butter brownies that I pushed chunks of Reese's Peanut Butter cups into the top of when it was right out of the oven.

Jeff and I had a laugh. Right before our wedding the minister told us he didn't think our marriage would last because we wrote our own VERY SHORT vows instead of using the standard; "richer, poorer, sickness, health". There's nothing the matter with that but we wanted something different. I'm pretty sure 35 years proves him wrong!?
Old Jun 4 2014, 01:50 AM   #2263
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

35 years is impressive. I agree about it proving the minister wrong. Does he know you are still together and remembers what he said? I would be tempted to remind him.

Old Jun 4 2014, 02:05 AM   #2264
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

That is awesome, Pricilla. Congrats on 35 years.
Old Jun 4 2014, 08:18 AM   #2265
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Thanks! Maw, he hasn't been the minister of that church in probably 25 years. I suppose we could look him up but it isn't that important to us, just to say "told you so". We knew then that he was wrong, making a point of telling him doesn't really matter.

Yesterday was my best friend's dad's 100th birthday. He graduated from art school, served overseas in the air force during WWII, painted (mostly landscapes of Cape Cod), taught calligraphy and worked for the Yale University press. That's a small sample of a busy and interesting life!
Old Jun 4 2014, 12:32 PM   #2266
Hans
Master Archivist

Right, I also celebrated my 35th anniversary, like Cilla, but I did it in Italy (came back yesterday). We invited my son and his partner for a week in Italy, visiting Venice, Bologna, Padova and Verona and we stayed for three days at Lake Garda before flying home again from Venice. I was there before (uhm, 32 years ago) but the others never were there and they liked it. The youngsters were never even in Italy before. We had big fun and also visited the Ferrari museum at Maranello. We had lovely food, wines and fantastic weather. I even ordered 18 bottles of prosecco off some wine castle to send home

Now coming up: my wife's birthday tomorrow. And I'm off work until June 11th, so I guess I will be working real hard in house and garden

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4 2014, 07:19 PM   #2267
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I would love to go to Italy. Tell you wife happy birthday for me.

Old Jun 5 2014, 12:08 AM   #2268
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Hans, your anniversary tour sounds like fun! And please wish Marjon a very happy birthday from me.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2014, 01:14 AM   #2269
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Congrats Hans! Sounds like a lovely visit. Happy Birthday to your wife!

I hope to visit Europe and meet everyone within the next 5 years. That's my plan.
Old Jun 5 2014, 09:31 AM   #2270
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post

Jeff and I had a laugh. Right before our wedding the minister told us he didn't think our marriage would last because we wrote our own VERY SHORT vows instead of using the standard; "richer, poorer, sickness, health". There's nothing the matter with that but we wanted something different. I'm pretty sure 35 years proves him wrong!?
In 1962, my mother's priest told my parents to live together for 6 months, because he didn't think they'd stay married. Why? Because she was Polish and he was primarily Irish. Right after their 25th anniversary, my cousin took a picture of them with me and my brother and stopped to see said priest. He had to admit he was wrong (and that man HATED to be proved wrong about anything, from what I've heard)
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2014, 10:58 AM   #2271
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Wow, that was incredibly progressive thinking for that priest! Back then, living together before marriage I believe was called LIVING IN SIN (note capital letters). I think anyone using that expression today would probably get laughed at!

Since the minister that married us no longer lives around here I'm not going to bother looking him up. We know we stayed together. His opinion didn't matter to us then and it certainly doesn't matter now!
Old Jun 5 2014, 02:54 PM   #2272
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
In 1962, my mother's priest told my parents to live together for 6 months, because he didn't think they'd stay married. Why? Because she was Polish and he was primarily Irish. Right after their 25th anniversary, my cousin took a picture of them with me and my brother and stopped to see said priest. He had to admit he was wrong (and that man HATED to be proved wrong about anything, from what I've heard)
That sound like what someone told Dan J and I we be back to the small town in six months, we have been together a total of 16 years, June 1, 2014

Its been a 'long' six months.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2014, 09:03 PM   #2273
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Just because there is not enough going on my niece Robin has started having seizures in her sleep again and is going up to UVA to be hooked up to EEG and monitored until they figure out where they are coming from. She goes in next week, not sure how long she will be there.
Mom wanted to know if we should move up there.

Old Jun 5 2014, 09:24 PM   #2274
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Mawra, I hope they are able to solve "why" this time and find a way to control or stop them. My thoughts will be with everyone.
Old Jun 6 2014, 08:32 PM   #2275
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

On her we mostly know the why, it is the were that is the question. She probably has another tumor in her brain or one that has gotten bigger. They need to figure out where it is. Hopefully it can be treated with different meds.

Old Jun 6 2014, 11:22 PM   #2276
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

My thoughts will be with everyone involved. *hugs*
Old Jun 7 2014, 12:21 AM   #2277
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I REALLY hate June. Nothing good ever happens in June, July is not much better.

Old Jun 7 2014, 05:29 AM   #2278
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

My thought and prayers are with you Mawra, Moonlady and everyone else who's having a difficult time.
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7 2014, 06:25 PM   #2279
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Wow, that was incredibly progressive thinking for that priest! Back then, living together before marriage I believe was called LIVING IN SIN (note capital letters). I think anyone using that expression today would probably get laughed at!

Since the minister that married us no longer lives around here I'm not going to bother looking him up. We know we stayed together. His opinion didn't matter to us then and it certainly doesn't matter now!
Yeah, when Mom and Dad got back to his grandmother's, he had to stop his great-grandmother and mother from going after the priest with brooms. Dad never cared what that priest thought. He was marrying my mother and if it wasn't in the Catholic Church, it would have been his Jehovah Witness minister uncle doing the ceremony. Which my father informed the Monseigneur of when he and Mom went to see him to over-ride the parish priest. (Fortunately, the Monseigneur had been DAD's parish priest most of Dad's childhood, and Dad had even been one of his Altar Boys....)
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7 2014, 10:42 PM   #2280
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Please keep my cousin Joelle in your thoughts and prayers. She has been having trouble breathing since spring began. The doctors refuse saying its not our specialty (the ENT specialists says go to the lung doctor; lung doctor says go to the ENT). Its insane and she has insurance. She's coming out to the see her mom her in the desert this month and if her breathing doesn't improve she'll go to the ER here and hopefully find a specialist who will do something. Thanks.