A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 16 2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default References to Pern in other material

I don't know if there's been a thread for this yet, but after reading razor4466's thread regarding a book that includes a homage to Pern (now identified as Dragon Lord by Peter Morewood), I figured it could be useful to make a list of the various references in other materials; be they book, film or tv series.

The most obvious reference to spring to mind is in "The Colour of Magic" by Terry Pratchett, where the entire third part of the book parodied Pern (largely the concept itself rather than the characters) and a number of other high fantasy novels with the "Wyrmberg"; an upside-down hollow mountain where dragons and their riders laired. Various character names from Pern were alluded to by the character of Liessa and her dragon Laolith (unlike Ramoth, this dragon is male and bronze, and appears to have a taste for humans!), and also with some male riders names containing exclamation marks in the middle of their names, such as Lio!rt and K!sdra (whose dragon is named Psepha, thus breaking with the -th naming convention).

The only other reference I can think of at the moment is in a book called "Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher", where the titular character goes over a list of famous dragon names in an attempt to find one for his recently-hatched dragonet, and briefly considers "[M]N[e]menth" and "Ruth", alongside a number of other names (Fafnir, Smaug, Heart's Blood, Orm Emfax), before settling on Tiamat.

There must be more out there...

Last edited by Almaron; Dec 17 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: References to Pern in other material

Ha, I was already composing a post about Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher before I got halfway through yours! I didn't know those names the first time I read that book!

In Elizabeth Moon's epic fantasy trilogy The Deed of Paksenarrion, the characters' favorite pub is called the White Dragon.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

The wonderful "The Colour of Magic" by Sir Terry Pratchett springs to mind.

The entire Lure of the Wyrm section parodies the Pern novels (an sf/fantasy series) by Anne McCaffrey. The heroine of the first Pern novel Dragonflight is called Lessa, which Terry made into Liessa, and the exclamation mark in Terry's dragonriders' names parallels the similar use of apostrophes in McCaffrey's names.

But that's not what you mean probably

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

And though co-written by Anne herself "A Diversity of Dragons" holds a few Pern references.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 17 2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

There's a series by Weis & Hickman [Dragon Star/Fire Sea/two others whose names I've forgotten] where the wizard Zifnab (a different incarnation of Fizban) appears accompanied by a dragon. Said dragon feels underappreciated, and comments on the fact that he'd be better off on Pern.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Brenda

I forgot, another of Elizabeth Moon's series, about the Vatta traders, has a protagonist named Kylara!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2012, 01:57 AM   #7
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

The "Tigana" character Alessan.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
There's a series by Weis & Hickman [Dragon Star/Fire Sea/two others whose names I've forgotten] where the wizard Zifnab (a different incarnation of Fizban) appears accompanied by a dragon. Said dragon feels underappreciated, and comments on the fact that he'd be better off on Pern.
I knew it was Weiss and Hicman but couldn't come up with names. The illustration of that particular dragon in 'A Diversity of Dragons' is hilarious!

Old Dec 18 2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Talisath View Post
The "Tigana" character Alessan.
I think that's just a coincidence. Anyone know which came first: fionavar or twd? There's a character called Sharra in The Summer Tree.
Old Dec 19 2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Looks like they came out within a year of each other... TWD 1987, the Fionavar Tapestry Omnibus 1986 according to a quick check of Google Books.

ETA: Way back when this topic came up at the Kitchen Table I noticed the similarities between Pern and Tara K. Harper's Wolfwalker series. And even the planet's name, Asengar, is similar to Asgenar.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2012, 05:11 AM   #11
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

In that case GGK beat Anne on Sharra by several years. Coincidental name sharing in both cases, I'm sure.
Old Dec 21 2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

The mention of Tara K. Harper is interesting, as Mrs. McCaffrey said the "Wolfwalker" novels were particular favorites of hers, and Shelly Shapiro, executive editor of Del Rey Books, said the telepathic bond between Gray Hshin and Healer Dion was "as beguiling, as satisfying, as the relationship between a rider and her dragon in Anne McCaffrey's beloved Dragonriders of Pern books."
Old Dec 26 2012, 07:55 AM   #13
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Naomi Novik's dragon series is something of a response to Pern, if the dragons were much smarter and had more distinct personalities. Temeraire is a handful!

Also, Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear wrote A Companion to Wolves and A Tempering of Men, which is a series that explores the idea of being telepathically bonded to an animal, and subject to its mating desires. (Of course it also has its own plot, but it really is an exploration of male greenriders, male goldriders...except with wolves, not dragons.)

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote