A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Apr 28 2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment
Default Absolutely Disgusting

I just ran across THIS in the QC Webcomic Forum.

Words just about fail me. This is absolutely disgusting, both the attack and the complete lack of action by the McDonalds Staff.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2011, 12:56 AM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Absolutely Disgusting

I am appalled...The inhumanity in this video, to this poor young woman is almost more than my mind can take in...it's just unbelievable. I felt bad just watching it all and not being able to do anything to help her.
I can't understand in any manor why all the rest of those people would just stand around and watch it all happen...and not only not try to help stop it...B U T LORD...to film it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2011, 01:08 AM   #3
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree

I cannot help but think of an old saying...

"The more people I meet, the more I like animals".

This is appalling behaviour. Makes me sick to my stomach.
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2011, 01:55 AM   #4
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Yeah.

Whether there were company rules about 'Non Interference' or not, for the staff to just stand around and FILM it is just unconscionable. And the Manager - What a pathetic useless individual he turned out to be.

Rules or no rules, this is one time that anybody with a semblance of a conscience needs to say to themselves '**** the rules.' and get on there to help.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Apr 29 2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Just reading about it puts me off! What complete and utter creeps. Hope that McDonald's is boycotted.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29 2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy
Now Reading: The Rift

Makes me feel even better that I don't like their Fake food.
Old Apr 29 2011, 11:10 PM   #7
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Hopefully, the video can be used by the police to identify the attackers for arrest and prosecution.
Old Apr 30 2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Undoubtedly it will be Draco. Such Video is a godsend for Police these days in helping them in sorting out cases such as this.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Apr 30 2011, 08:36 PM   #9
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Then, in spite of being positively identified, they will plead "not guilty" and possibly get a much lesser sentence. I would make a terrible criminal. If I did something wrong I would plead guilty and take my punishment. Would NOT make the lawyers very happy!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 03:07 AM   #10
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

It won't let me look at it so I can't comment on it.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 12:37 AM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cilla...lets just hope they get caught, and that they don't get away with it, to go on to beat-up and terrorize someone else.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 2 2011, 01:49 AM   #12
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

McDonalds is not at fault. They fired the person who took the video.

One of the attackers was named. The second one's name was with held because she
was a minor. I think they are going to be charged with a hate crime.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 10:45 AM   #13
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
McDonalds is not at fault. They fired the person who took the video.

One of the attackers was named. The second one's name was with held because she
was a minor. I think they are going to be charged with a hate crime.
Mawra, I don't agree that McDonald's wasn't at fault. It is their policy that says their employees are not to get involved. Sorry, but I think the manager has the duty to keep the peace in his place. That means not allowing something like this to happen in the first place. He shoulld have gotten involoved when the attack started.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

A fast food manager is not a police officer, s/he does not necessarily have the training as to how best to break up a physical altercation without escalating it or getting himself hurt.

Calling 911 and doing everything possible to ensure the safety of other patrons and employees are reasonable expectations of the manager. Physically stepping in is not.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 07:12 PM   #15
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

He could have ordered the attackers to leave, Cheryl. He could have removed the vitim from their reach and waited with her in the break room until the police arrived.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Exactly AnnMarie.

Instead he showed all the backbone of a Squid and all the management skills of Peewee Herman.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Jun 2 2011, 07:03 AM   #17
elvenart
Curlycorn

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

I in no way justify anything that happened- or didn't as the case may be- and also find the actions of those 2 GIRLS (not a girl and young woman) disgusting and reprehensible. However, because I work in a restaurant myself, I can say for a certainty that, no matter how much good it would have done to throw himself between the attackers and the victim or how he tried to move the young lady out of the way of the attack, if the manager so much as TOUCHED one of those people he would have lost his job. My company has similar policies about physical customer contact, though generally when pertaining to drunk customers. We are not allowed to lay a hand on a customer under any circumstances, lest our job is lost.
As for the employees, you have to consider the general ages of most regular employees of fast food chains. For the most part, they are kids themselves, running from roughly 16 to 23 or there about. For them, it was nothing more than 'a great show'.They got to see a fight in their own restaurant and didn't have to go pay to see it in a theater. I hate to put it that way, but that is really what it boils down to. They care nothing about their fellow human beings, only themselves, and as long as they aren't hurt, they don't care.
If I had been a customer there, you can darn well bet I would have stepped in. And I can subdue someone without violence, believe me.
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2 2011, 12:01 PM   #18
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenart View Post
I in no way justify anything that happened- or didn't as the case may be- and also find the actions of those 2 GIRLS (not a girl and young woman) disgusting and reprehensible. However, because I work in a restaurant myself, I can say for a certainty that, no matter how much good it would have done to throw himself between the attackers and the victim or how he tried to move the young lady out of the way of the attack, if the manager so much as TOUCHED one of those people he would have lost his job. My company has similar policies about physical customer contact, though generally when pertaining to drunk customers. We are not allowed to lay a hand on a customer under any circumstances, lest our job is lost.
This is very true. Not to mention unless someone is trained in self-defence and disarming/disabling attackers, leaping in is unlikely to accomplish anything other than a full-blown brawl and the would-be rescuer getting badly hurt as well. Teenage employees likely couldn't have done a damn thing and at least one did the only USEFUL thing they could do--film the girls complete with getting their faces on camera. That makes it rather difficult for them to try and say later "Nope, wasn't me."
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2 2011, 01:10 PM   #19
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Filming them is a good idea. Unfortunately, I am sure they will plead "not guilty" in hopes of getting lesser sentences. When someone is seen committing a crime/caught on tape, etc. I don't see why they get to use a not guilty plea?! They did it, end of story. Just figure out the punishment and stop clogging the court system.
Old Jun 2 2011, 02:16 PM   #20
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Filming them is a good idea. Unfortunately, I am sure they will plead "not guilty" in hopes of getting lesser sentences. When someone is seen committing a crime/caught on tape, etc. I don't see why they get to use a not guilty plea?! They did it, end of story. Just figure out the punishment and stop clogging the court system.
Pleading not guilty only means it goes to trial. Depending, that might get you a lighter sentence/lesser conviction. Pleading guilty: something you NEVER do unless you are either really stupid or have a plea bargain on the table. (The latter would be my guess here if they have a lawyer with even half a brain. Take probation/time served/light jail time as opposed to prison and community service, rather than gamble with a jury and a felony assault conviction.)
Old Jun 2 2011, 03:37 PM   #21
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I'm afraid I would be one of the really stupid ones IF I ever committed a crime. Going to trial means clogging the system. There are more than enough crimes committed where the perpetrator could be one of multiple possibilities or there is some doubt, without having trials for people who were caught on tape/seen by multiple witnesses. I'm thinking the shootings out in Arizona, for example. Of course, in that case he probably won't go to trial anyway, because of being deemed incompetent. But, I'm sure there are plenty of others.
Old Jun 2 2011, 03:39 PM   #22
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Yeah, nothing like tying up the Court System and wasting public money on a trial when it's obvious that you're guilty and are simply rolling the dice./

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Old Jun 2 2011, 03:43 PM   #23
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Exactly!
Old Jun 3 2011, 12:25 AM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Lets hope the young woman who was beaten so badly, is doing alright...physically as
well as mentally. I would think this terrifying event in her life would stay with her for
a very long time...if not for the rest of her life.

Unfortunately the two female thugs will probably forget her and what they did to her,
as soon as they find a new target for all their anger and hatred..in or out side of jail.

Old Jun 3 2011, 12:08 PM   #25
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Well, in the case of the Arizona shooter, he *can't* go to trial, he's criminally insane. By definition he has no idea whether what he did was 'right' or 'wrong.' (Unlike a sociopath, who is fully aware of society concepts of right and wrong, they just don't think it applies to them.) Like John Hinckely, who tried to assassinate President Reagan and put Jim Brady in a wheelchair for life--he just got put in St. Elizabeth's and even gets to visit his family now, despite, you know, trying to murder the President of the United States. Which is ironic, as people who can't determine right and wrong or control their impulses to the point of shooting sprees would seem to logically be the ones you'd execute, as you can't fix crazy, but it's not designed to work like that.

Some states have a guilty but insane verdict option, but only if they're found fit to stand trial. (That means you're found responsible, but have to go into psychiatric care before being competent to serve time.)

The criminal justice system isn't designed to send people to jail. Plus guilty pleas usually mean reduced sentences--they don't pass judgement on whether you're really sorry (or care; most people are only sorry they get caught anyway) but generally defendents are rewarded for not spending the court's money on a trial. No competent attorney would let their client plead guilty without a serious deal on the table. A "no contest" would probably be best if the prosecution doesn't want to cut a deal (they usually have to be REALLY confident, and even a video doesn't guarantee they get the conviction they want unless they're quite certain of the jury pool) as that's not admitting to anything but saying you're not going to fight the charges.
Old Jun 5 2011, 02:17 PM   #26
elvenart
Curlycorn

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

The problem will come into play of whether or not the tape will be admissible as evidence at the trial. To begin with, it was shot by an employee on their cell phone, not a security tape. Secondly, it was promptly uploaded to the net long before any charges were brought to bear, leading the way to the defense claiming that it should not be admitted to the trial as it has already been seen by the prospective jury members and may adversely affect their impartial decision making. This sort of thing has happened before, where possible evidence was not admitted because of a leak prior to the trial.
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote