A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Feb 22 2008, 02:52 AM   #161
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: Show us your Bookshelves!!!

a good idea, but not for someone short
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2008, 05:43 AM   #162
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Love the book lined stairacase! Unfortunately my stairs are no suited for it otherwise I would really have considered building something like it!
I'm really into shelfspace trouble here and in the proces of selling a couple of hundred books we (wife and I) think we can miss or will never read again (history/genealogy related, some children's stuff and thriller/crime books).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2008, 07:40 AM   #163
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Lin, I agree that while it looks cool, it does seem awkward to actually reach the books. And those under the tread would be in danger of being kicked, I would think. But the side shelves would work well for a collection that's meant more for display than actual frequent use.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22 2008, 08:10 PM   #164
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Cheryl, It would also be very dusty for most of your books, as walking up and down those stairs in search of a books would cause it to fall on the top of whatever books were under those stair pads. It certainly looks good...but I am rather doubtful of its real care for the books.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2008, 12:04 AM   #165
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Does anyone know how to put URL's on? I seem to have come to a standstill on putting my photo's on? Maybe it's just me, coz I can download normally onto my computer into My documents and then upload onto ebay but with MoM, I can't do it.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2008, 11:43 AM   #166
Hans
Master Archivist

The best thing to do, Jube, is NOT put URL's in here but IMG code, which will be provided by the service you use (like flickr or photobucket).

If you still want to link to your picture, you just click on the world globe pus link sign above this editor field and a popup will open (be sure to enable that, if your browser does not as a default it will tell you and you should allow it once) in which you can paste the URL. Click OK and you're done

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 23 2008, 12:06 PM   #167
Hans
Master Archivist

Years ago I promised pics of our library/spare bedroom...
Well, since the attic is finally virtually completed the stuff that was in this room could be moved and I cleaned the room and my wife and I did some necessary rearranging of the bookcases (we're selling a a ouple of hundred books to make room for more )

Entering the room will give you this view, my mass market paperback bookcase for English language SF and fantasy:

If you turn around at the end the slanted roof and window and the spare bed are to your back. Looking at the same bookcase gives this view. You can now also see the shelves next to the door which holds my wife's mass market paperback collection of crime books and thrillers (Dutch/translated).
All bookcases are made by myself to make the most of the room available. The closets under the SF/fantasy books hold archival boxes with the family archive and genealogical papers pertaining to my and my wife's family.

Look to the left and there's some shelving with genealogy/history books and hardcover and crime/thriller trade paperbacks, making the most of the space under the slanted roof (best seen in the second pic). The shelving next to that holds app. 400 genealogical files, the old fashioned stuff in folders, dealing with families in mine and my wife's ancestry but also pertaining researches I have done for third parties during the last 30 years. The shelves next to that hold larger sized genealogical source material and bound copies of all kinds of registers I don't own on microfilm or digitally. On these shelves you can also see my collection of empty! cartons that have held favourite whiskey and whisky bottles...

Under the bed (from Ikea and named "Brekke"! ) are three big drawers, one of them is filled with books which will be sold and under the shelves under the slanted roof are currently stacked some books that will also be sold:

That's it. The room is finally presentable and you can even see the fake antique library stairs helping me (a relative short guy) reaching the top shelves Last year I laid the flooring in this room.

Oh, there are no Anne McCaffrey books in this room. Those books are slowly taking over most of the shelving in our computer room which isn't "our" computer room anymore as my son "lives" and thus "computerizes" in the attic nowadays and there's only the two PC's and one Apple computer for my wife and me in the computer room which might as well be called a library room with a few computers

Old Feb 23 2008, 08:20 PM   #168
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Hans,

Hard to sleep in your spare room without having to check out ALL the SF and fantasy books first. They look very inviting

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23 2008, 09:17 PM   #169
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Hans, I will have a go at it, this afternoon or tonight. Telstra BigPond has a link up for my photos but I've got to work that out too so............. crossing 1's fingers, it might be so...........
Old Feb 24 2008, 04:47 AM   #170
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
Hans,

Hard to sleep in your spare room without having to check out ALL the SF and fantasy books first. They look very inviting
Nina, you can imagine I've heard that before!
Actually Anneli, when she first stayed in that room, called me a torturer for expecting people to sleep in there...

Old Feb 24 2008, 11:04 AM   #171
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, glad to see that you have finally been able to get your library... erm guest room all put together again.
Now it's easy to see why Anneli said it was torture to try and sleep in there, with all those interesting book...you probably don't see to much of your company when they come to visit...their to busy reading...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Feb 25 2008, 08:12 AM   #172
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Bookshelf hut around a bed: http://www.flickr.com/photos/in-duce...okcasebedroom/

Old Feb 25 2008, 03:26 PM   #173
Hans
Master Archivist

Look like something that could stand in our local library! Nice

Are you doing research, dear Cheryl?

Old Feb 25 2008, 04:29 PM   #174
Cheryl
Master Archivist

No, just keep posting the random interesting shelves I run across while surfing the net.
Old Feb 25 2008, 04:33 PM   #175
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I'm surprised Anneli ever left!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25 2008, 06:18 PM   #176
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl, something like the book hut would be fantastic in a childrens room...they could pretend during game times, and have wonderful place to set and read their books by themselves or with friends or family. I like it!!

Old Feb 25 2008, 07:22 PM   #177
~(_'>

I haven't really been following this thread, so if someone else has already posted this link, sorry. I did think this was pretty cool though.

http://bestpicsaround.com/pic-967-Bookcase-Bedroom
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2008, 09:45 AM   #178
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Mouse that is what Cheryl just posted in the link up above...gee seems great minds do think alike, even when it comes to finding places for our books to sit.

Old Feb 26 2008, 02:38 PM   #179
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

I managed to escape - several times Something keeps pulling me back though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I'm surprised Anneli ever left!
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2008, 06:06 PM   #180
Briala

Hello all I just joined today /wave anywho I don't actually have a camera to take pictures but i only have a few books with me I am in a dorm so no room for my collection its so sad lol. But with me i have, almost all of McCaffrey, Terry Goodkind, Wrede, Chima, J.K. Rowling, Canavan, JRR Tolkein, Marion Zimmer Bradley, CS Lewis, Pierce, Mercedes Lackey, TA Baron, Gordon R Dickson, Tiernan, Margret Weis, Gregory Maguire, Fruits Basket, DN angel, and FMA, and a few other random books, but they are all stacked in every which way so they can fit on the shelves, most of my books are at home.
Old Feb 26 2008, 06:12 PM   #181
Briala

I have really enjoyed looking at everyone collections I can't wait until I have a place of my own so I can really start my collection someday I want to be able to get a roomful!
Old Feb 26 2008, 08:32 PM   #182
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj132/jubesmom/ebay1003.jpg
i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj132/jubesmom/ebay1002.jpg

This is for Hans, I finally worked it out hopefully but please remember all my books cannot be seen as it's doubled over and it's only a glancing view of what I have. Bigpond didn't quite do it for me. for Hans who saved my sanity, however temporarily that may be.
Old Feb 26 2008, 08:35 PM   #183
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Oh my god, it actually worked, I've just clicked on it and it worked. Hans is a genius (only for the moment until some grey hairs fall out and Jube stops having a blonde moment). Just goes to show (and this is for Kibbie) that even when one's finished school, one never stops learning.
Old Feb 26 2008, 10:16 PM   #184
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli View Post
Maybe its the cooking......I've heard its pretty good eating !!!

Old Feb 26 2008, 11:59 PM   #185
Larry
Glow

Fan of: Menolly

Hi,

Here is a part of my bookshelves (the most important part!) with some of my McCaffrey books....

These are many of the hardbacks 1st's, the paperbacks and other magazine articles are stored separately. Due to paranoia and poor cleaning skills, all the books are kept in clear archival bags.

Now, I just wish I owned some of the beautiful prints I have seen pictured by others in this thread.....

Larry
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2008, 12:30 AM   #186
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Hans, when I slept in your old spare bedroom/library, I had the same problem as Anneli did... :p
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2008, 01:15 AM   #187
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli View Post
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2008, 03:13 AM   #188
Hans
Master Archivist

Jube, nice collection! But I see one or two Anne books still in shrink wrap... *wags finger*

Briala, welcome! Glad you enjoy this thread

Larry, I must say, a very nice collection and your bookcase/shelving is stunning, absolutely beautiful

Old Feb 27 2008, 07:50 AM   #189
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Briala, welcome! Feel free to wander into the "Welcome" thread in this forum and introduce yourself!

Jube, of course Hans is a genius! Good job to you too for getting your pictures up. Your collection is shelved like much of mine.

Larry..... wow! Gorgeous shelves for an impressive collection!
Old Feb 27 2008, 08:06 AM   #190
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Briala, twice and thrice welcome to MoM.

Hans, there's a reason for the shrinkwrap, my sister sent them to me from the USA as a xmas present and she knows I love my books so I've kept them wrapt as they were wrapt with love.

Thanks Cheryl. I definitely learnt something today. However the pictures don't do justice because there's another row behind the ones people can see. However slightly disorderly they may look at the moment, as a result of you sending us on a quest to further our knowledge of Anne's worlds.

Larry, like the bookshelves, wish I had the same.
Old Feb 27 2008, 10:38 AM   #191
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Welcome Briala!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2008, 10:46 AM   #192
Hans
Master Archivist

P.S.

Larry,

I see you are reading 40 Years of Pern but you are not a contributor. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it

Old Feb 27 2008, 02:22 PM   #193
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW Larry...now that is what I call a *BEAUTIFUL* book case!!!

Old Feb 27 2008, 07:50 PM   #194
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Hans, I can tell you that it was a fantastic effort by all contributors and I honestly wished I could have joined in *40 years of Pern* but I wasn't organized enough. Perhaps when *50 years of Pern* comes up, I'll have it all set up for you. FABULOUS BOOK, WELL DONE,
Old Feb 27 2008, 08:06 PM   #195
Larry
Glow

Hans,

I really liked *40 Years of Pern*. It was very personal and I greatly enjoyed reading how everyone, both fans and writers/artists, began their journey with Anne. I was excited to find out about this book (looking it up actually pointed me to this website, I was not aware of it before).

Lady Maelin, jube, Cheryl, thank you for the kind words. Looking at what others here have collected, I am redoubling my efforts to find the less known short stories contained in other books.

Larry
Old Feb 28 2008, 10:06 AM   #196
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Larry- I love your bookcases!! They're beautiful!!! (the books contained within them are wonderful too, of course!) Those cases are the kind I'd love to have my books in, but the one I have with the doors works just fine too. And with the doors help keep the dust off so I don't have to clean them as often. You've a really super collection! Thank you for sharing!

Jube - glad to see you got your pictures posted! The folks around here are so very helpful!

Briala - Welcome!!
Old Feb 28 2008, 12:22 PM   #197
Larry
Glow

Becky,

Thank you for your comments. We finally had to have these bookshelves made as my collecting habits were getting out of control (according to to my wife!). I will take another picture showing the whole thing when I get a wider lens. I have some inexpensive lawyer bookshelves, with glass doors, in another part of the house, and I love them also. But adding glass doors would have been too expensive for the ones shown in my previous post, as we had to have those bookshelves built in.

Larry
Old Feb 28 2008, 06:21 PM   #198
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

So I've discovered, Becky. Ghyle got me onto a commodore 64 and Mayfair games which I quickly snapped up, Hans got me through photobucket and now I'm "passing it forward" by helping Mawra's and Kibbie's odd collection. Now wondering if they managed to put their photos up or not.........I'll go look.............. One last thing before I go, THANKS FOLKS, it's been a ball looking through what people have so far on their shelves, and Larry, it's a lifetime effort finding all the bits and pieces that make up our bookshelves.
Old Mar 8 2008, 09:16 AM   #199
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Another bookshelf design:

Old Mar 8 2008, 10:38 AM   #200
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Now this would be interesting for a quick read of magizines...but it certainly doesn't look very comfortable.