A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 1 2006, 03:52 PM   #1
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Fan of: The Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: anything on my eReader
Big Grin Hooked on crochet

It turnes out that I'm not the only MoM-member that is hooked on crochet. (Pun intended)

Are you also hooked?
Nefermiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Shani
Inactive

Default Re: Hooked on crochet

lol Nefermiw I crochet all the time, I'm not brilliant at it and I can't follow a pattern but I can make a few things just using my imagination.
Comes in handy for birthdays and christmases, my whole family I think now have fluffy cusions for on lounges and beds and I've been making winter gear for my 6 yr olds baby born doll
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1 2006, 06:06 PM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Like I told you in the chat room, I love to crochet, and have for years. I love to do lace cochet, and I make placemats and tableclothes. I love to make my own patterns in filet crochet. I like to use crochet squares with knit blanket parts.

I also think that the new fabulous yarns are great to work with. If a little expencive to use.

I also knit sweaters when I have time, lately that has been a problem because of all the other things that I have been doing. But soon I will finish the purple one that I have started, just in time for summer.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2 2006, 12:04 AM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Nef, thanks for letting me know about the crochetime, I went and sighed up. I hope that we get to "hook" up there sometime.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Apr 2 2006, 12:41 AM   #5
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Yeah, guess I am! And I don't seem to have trouble following patterns long as I go one line at a time and frequently stop to check. I've even mastered things that my grandmother found hard! Currently making my first attempt at a doll dress, and I'm talking Barbie-sized... <G> Seems to be doing ok so far.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2 2006, 01:29 AM   #6
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

I haven't tried filet crochet yet, but I have started crocheting with thread. I wanted to make a birthday gift for my SIL, so I made some thread roses in 3 different colours and attached them to hair clips and an ponytail elastic band. Then I saw a shawl made with squares and got the idea of making the square with thread in 3 colours and joining them to make a tablecloth.
I recently bought a double ended flex hook, so now I'm learning tunisian crochet. I'm designing my very own sweater using tunisian knit stitch - it has a cat theme to it.

I have a blog where I post about my creative projects, so if you want to see pictures, go here:
http://nefermiw.blogspot.com/
Old Apr 2 2006, 03:38 AM   #7
Devcca

Fan of: Eh, The White Dragon
Now Reading: *Too busy to read* Textsbks

I'm a long time crocheter here. I only do the basic. One summer I did two baby blankets, all within 2 weeks.. one was seven days, and other was three days. I tried to do a third one, and failed. I didn't have time. Now I have no time to crochet. I wished to learn new stitches and styles to vary my work.
Devcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2 2006, 06:18 AM   #8
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

once. One long line of cast on about 1/2 a metre long of stitches too small to be of any use!
I keep meaning to learn but I haven't the time at the mo.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2 2006, 05:03 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

That is a shame Edi, I think that you would be great at it with your creative mind. Some time you should give it a try, if you can make a chain you can make something with basic crochet, it is very easy and useful.

Old Apr 2 2006, 05:05 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Nef, I went and saw all your lovely creations, when you first put it in the Exibition Hall, I love the purse that you showed.

Old Apr 2 2006, 05:19 PM   #11
TamTam
Inactive

Fan of: Pern and more Pern
Now Reading: Mrs. Dalloway

I don't crochet, but I do knit. I'll probably learn to crochet sooner or later. I have a pattern for a lovely knit shawl, but it calls for crocheted edges. I'll do it, eventually, once my three hundred other projects are done.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2 2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Shani
Inactive

For those of you who don't have time, you are speaking my language! What I have learnt to do is keep my current project in a drawer of the coffee table in the lounge, then while I watch tv I can work on my current project, it's not fast but I do get it done
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2 2006, 11:13 PM   #13
Devcca

Fan of: Eh, The White Dragon
Now Reading: *Too busy to read* Textsbks
Unhappy Re: Hooked on crochet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani
For those of you who don't have time, you are speaking my language! What I have learnt to do is keep my current project in a drawer of the coffee table in the lounge, then while I watch tv I can work on my current project, it's not fast but I do get it done
I don't have a TV Plus, I forgot my crochet bags at home!!!
Devcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2006, 05:37 AM   #14
Andaren
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!
Now Reading: Moreta

I'm not very good at crochet yet, though I have managed to make a very small blanket and even managed to change colours on it

I enjoy knitting, though - when I was at high school I used to make toys (can't make clothing yet, but have a large collection of Jean Greenhowe's toy patterns) and sell them to make money for charity - I made a small fortune and had to take my needles into school with me and knit at lunch and breaks just to keep up with the orders

I'm currently trying to finish my biggest project to date - a giant girl clown doll complete with rollerskates, skipping rope, yo yo and hobby horse

Only got the toys to go on it now

P.S - glad to see I'm not the ONLY knitter/crocheter here
Andaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2006, 06:41 AM   #15
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

My Mum's got BOOKS on those Jean Greenhowe things (at least I think that's wha shes got) she made my aunt to little opera singers when she started her music degree by adapting a pattern for a little soft toy.
Old May 3 2006, 11:32 AM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Andaren, it sounds like you keep your self busy. I love being busy

Last year when I was not able to do my art work, I knitted 12 sweaters, in a hue of colors.

I designed the pattern so that it was simple and fit me well. It is long sleeve with button up front and a collar.

I did use my crochet trim(a lace pica) to finish them up.

I love to knit, but at the moment, I have been busy with my first love(art) and learning this machine(computer). I will get back to it though, as soon as I get more comfortable with the computer.

Good luck with your fantastic charity project, it sounds so wonderful of you to do.

Old May 3 2006, 01:20 PM   #17
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Smile Re: Hooked on crochet

Ooh, another yarn-crafter! Welcome Andaren!

BTW - I thought I would show you all how far along I am with my cat sweater project:

(It's crocheted with the tunisian knit stitch.)
Old May 3 2006, 07:38 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

That is so lovely, I know that you did the pattern for it, and it is so cute. You really need to show it to us in its stages, before you finish it.

Old May 3 2006, 08:28 PM   #19
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

That's a sweet cat, Nefermiw!

Selling for charity... Hmm, I'll have to look into that. Between my grandmother and me, we have an overabundance of afghans... Plus, with the Anne Geddes Calendar Bed Doll patterns I'm starting, that'll be a lot.

Here's a link to the one completed project I have so far: http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f33/PernHarper/

Click on the Crochet album. I wanted to keep my pictures sorted, but I can't link direct to the Crochet albumn without giving out a password, evidently. Don't want to make one.

Old May 3 2006, 08:38 PM   #20
SpaceCowboy
Plague-carrying cat

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

Although I am male at one time I did quite a few crocheted items. Then I got older and found other outlets (primarily drafting and CAD drafting) for my creative urges. There isn't any way to attach the house I'm working on right now (it's way to big a file), or I'd show what exactly I do for creative fun. It's a two story house with squared turrets on the front corners and a stepped roof.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2006, 05:11 AM   #21
Andaren
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefermiw
Ooh, another yarn-crafter! Welcome Andaren!

BTW - I thought I would show you all how far along I am with my cat sweater project:

(It's crocheted with the tunisian knit stitch.)
Oh wow! That's gorgeous - I haven't got around to learning how to do patterns like that - I can only make toys

I haven't sold for charity for a while (been out of high school for over four years ), mostly I sell them now to fund my incessent trips to Amazon where I buy more books than I have room for
Old May 4 2006, 10:24 AM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Andaren, we all have more books than we have room for, no matter what size of home we live in.

Old May 4 2006, 10:33 AM   #23
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Tresa, that is a lovely doll dress, I have tons of lace crochet patterns, and have seen those, but never done up for real. I do mostly filet crochet, and the laced edgings. I love to do the laced edgings by the yards.

Of course I love doing the knitting even more than the crochet, but only by a threads worth.......

Old May 5 2006, 05:22 AM   #24
Andaren
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
Andaren, we all have more books than we have room for, no matter what size of home we live in.
Old May 6 2006, 12:37 PM   #25
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
Tresa, that is a lovely doll dress, I have tons of lace crochet patterns, and have seen those, but never done up for real. I do mostly filet crochet, and the laced edgings. I love to do the laced edgings by the yards.

Of course I love doing the knitting even more than the crochet, but only by a threads worth.......

\Knitting? Now that makes me nervous...I don't think I have quite that much coordination...As is, I depend on my fingers to help keep track of stitches, and have enough problems keeping the right number of loops on one hook.

Old May 7 2006, 02:18 PM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Tresa, I knit because for me it is relaxing, and I can use it to wear or keep warm in the winter, when I am all finished. I learned to knit when I was seven years old from my Grandmother. With myself being left handed, and with her being right handed, she sat me in front of her to teach me how to do it. It worked, and I have been knitting simple stiches since then. Try it you might really like it.

Old May 8 2006, 07:35 AM   #27
Myt
Crafter
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

I can't crotchet, but I can knit (but only scarves ) I once used a whole ball of wool and the resulting thing was longer than I am tall! (or it was when I knitted it. Probably still is, I'm pretty short)
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2006, 12:27 PM   #28
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thats great Myt, now that you have all that experience you should make something else you could wear.

Old May 8 2006, 02:15 PM   #29
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myt
I can't crotchet, but I can knit (but only scarves ) I once used a whole ball of wool and the resulting thing was longer than I am tall! (or it was when I knitted it. Probably still is, I'm pretty short)
My Mum made a scarf like that. Mind you that was back in the 1970s!
This scarf, it's not stripy is it? It doesn't have feet and inches down one side and centimetres down the other?
Old May 9 2006, 10:51 AM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh lets hope not, though I think we all have something somewhat odd looking from out first trys at knitting or Crochet.

Old May 9 2006, 11:44 AM   #31
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Don't worry Lady Mae- it was a joke- In pyramids of Mars Tom Baker as the Doctor mentions that his scarf can do that- he uses it as a tape measure. (sorry couldn't resist!)
Old May 10 2006, 10:20 AM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Edi, I knew that

Old May 11 2006, 06:39 AM   #33
Andaren
Inactive

Huzzah, my clown's nearly finished! Only got the hobby-horse and skipping rope to complete on it now!

I've got my eye on a topsy-turvey doll I want to try next
Old May 11 2006, 06:42 AM   #34
Andaren
Inactive

Here's a piccie of the one I'm doing now

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DN
Old May 11 2006, 11:09 AM   #35
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Andaren, That is soooooooo cute, you need to take a picture of yours when you get it all finished so that we can see it......that would make any child happy in my opinion.

Old May 11 2006, 02:01 PM   #36
Nefermiw
Ballybran Resident

Caterer's Assistant

Wow Andaren, that is a neat project with loads of details.

I've started on a third crochet project yesterday when I flew to NYC. It's a baby sweater with a cable pattern. I haven't crochetetd cables before, but after figuring out how to do the twisted BackPostDoubleCrochet it now seems easy. I might take a picture of how the cables turn out for my blog, but since it's a gift for my SIL, who is giving birth to my second nephew in the beginning of July, I might not spoil the surprise with pictures. On the other, she is rarely surfing the net, so she might not stumble upon the pictures.
Old May 13 2006, 01:58 PM   #37
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Nef, let us see it as soon as you think that it won't spoil the surprise. I would love to see the cable stitches that you have learned to do, I never learned how to do them. Maybe I will now that you say they are so easy.

Old May 13 2006, 04:21 PM   #38
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

I have one short strip of cable stitches I did. Definitely one of the harder ones, but then I love a challenge. Not sure I'd want to do a whole project with them, though.
Keep at it, Nef!

Old May 13 2006, 07:06 PM   #39
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Tresa, if you know how to do the cable, then the rest of the project would be easy for you. You should realy try to find something that you would like useing that cable stitch.

Old May 14 2006, 10:37 PM   #40
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Hmm. Maybe. There's other stuff I want to do first.