A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Dec 14 2018, 04:04 AM   #4721
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: What is happening

Mom had called the day before to find out drop off day. Social services should have called when they changed the date. They have been informed of this.

If back not better soon I'll get it checked. Right now I have been taking muscle relaxers that are helping. Electric blanket helps too.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14 2018, 08:05 PM   #4722
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Snow I can deal with so long as it's sane amounts. Unfortunately I now live in the middle of the city, so have to watch everyone around me behaving like it's the end of the world when we have a quarter of an inch of the stuff.

This evening I was very much enjoying the whole being able to mess around with my project car in the warmth of the garage.

[] Refitted now thoroughly cleaned front indicator lenses. Output is vastly improved now there are no longer insect nests in them.

[] Removed non-functional windscreen wiper mechanism and established the cable has seized inside the guide tube. Have left it soaking in penetrating oil overnight.

[] Rediscovered the fact I still need to properly wire in the new fuse box.

[] Answered the question of whether the dash needs to come out to inspect and if necessary repair any wiring.

That crusty bit of terminal strip is in the main live feed to the ignition switch. Oh, and I can see another terribly done crimp terminal on the ignition switch - through which every milliamp for everything aside from the headlights flows.

Needs properly sorting, especially given the "minimalist" approach to fusing in the car (two fuses total originally).

Should be a good opportunity to swap the dash for one that's not cracked on the top at least.

Weather has also reminded me that finding some additional ducting is on the to do list as I'm missing two bits of it. One that runs from the engine fan cowling to the heat exchanger built into the exhaust. Thankfully the stuff from the heat exchanger to the air distribution control box and into the cabin are all there - as is the box. Given that those are apparently like gold dust I count myself lucky.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15 2018, 05:26 AM   #4723
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

According to a box at the bottom of the "home" page, there were 20,233 members online on the 12th of December 2018 at 08:14pm.

?????

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15 2018, 03:10 PM   #4724
Zelandeth

This afternoon I waved goodbye to my spares Invacar.

The guy who has taken it on is still planning a restoration on it. I did mention early on this was ambitious, but they reckon they have a contact who can provide panels, so have a better shot at it than I would I think.

While digging through the boxes of stuff to send along with it I did find something very important that I knew was stashed away somewhere safe but hadn't seen in a while.

Will try to get it reinstated in its rightful place tomorrow.

Also successfully reassembled the wiper mechanism (from the spares car) so now have a fully functional windscreen wiper again.

Only wasted about an hour hunting for the spindle retaining nut which was later found in my left pocket...
Old Dec 19 2018, 07:21 PM   #4725
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Back is better. Social Services was open, they just changed the date of gift drop off. Mom called the day before to find out the date. The person who told her the wrong day.

Old Dec 20 2018, 06:20 PM   #4726
Zelandeth

Our dog decided to be a completely adorable goofball this evening, and for once I had a camera to hand...

YouTube Link

He enjoys nothing more than destroying cardboard (when allowed), so when he had his eye on the base from this pizza box we couldn't resist giving it to him.
Old Dec 21 2018, 12:46 PM   #4727
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
Our dog decided to be a completely adorable goofball this evening, and for once I had a camera to hand...

YouTube Link

He enjoys nothing more than destroying cardboard (when allowed), so when he had his eye on the base from this pizza box we couldn't resist giving it to him.
Cute. With my dog Bob, it's fuzzy squeeky toys. Imagine a 170 pound Mastiff playing with a small squeeky toy. Or large one. He has to kill the squeeky.

Our kitten Kitt Katt got an early Christmas present, one I'm sure he didn't want. He hit early maturity and started spraying, so he's now neutered. We just brought him home from his vet visit about an hour ago.
Old Dec 28 2018, 10:59 AM   #4728
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby came home for Christmas, got sick Christmas Eve. She passed it on to Hubby & I. It is just as well I had already decided not to go to my oldest sister's house for family together. Too much drama that I decided we cpuld live without. Had a nice quite Christmas with just Kibby, Hubby and I untill Mom & sister came Christmas afternoon.

I got tickets, including hotel, go to Mysticon in Feb. Jody Lynn Nyne will be there. I also got several dragons & Atlas of Pern. Over all a nice Christmas.

Old Dec 28 2018, 10:46 PM   #4729
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

It actually stopped raining long enough for the 4 footed kids to decide to go outside to play. It might even be dry tomorrow, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Old Dec 30 2018, 04:08 PM   #4730
Zelandeth

Few garage updates stitched together because I forgot a couple and despite the somewhat off topic nature of the posts it seems some folks enjoy reading of the nonsense I waste my time doing. So that's why this is a bit long and disjointed.

18th December...

Busy couple of days so I've not had a chance to get into the garage.

Have just ordered some heater ducting Linky to eBay over here so should be able to get the missing bits on TP replaced and have a working heater. There are essentially five ducting runs - one linking the tap off points on both sides of the engine cowling together, one between there and the heat exchanger itself, one from there to the heater box, then two from there into the cabin. Everything downstream of the heat exchanger is present and in decent condition, but I'm missing everything between the engine cowling and the heat exchanger. Hopefully this will tick another thing off the list.

Quite pleased that I've found modern ducting that looks pretty much identical to what's on the car already so it shouldn't be massively obvious. I did have a shot to see if I could convince some metal stuff I had to hand to work, but it's just too big and is never going to work.

In other news, have had a call this afternoon informing me that the MOT work on the Activa is now finished. Sadly a bit too late to get over there today to pick it up, but that will probably be the first thing on the to do list for tomorrow.
----

19th Dec...

The Activa is finally back home with the worn out ball joint replaced and a fresh MOT. The downside of small local garages with a good reputation of course being that they occasionally get snowed under.

Someone else asked me how much ducting would be needed to totally rebuild the cabin heating system in the Invacar as they're missing a lot of the ducts. So I went and measured them and created a highly accurate technical diagram.

(All measurements in centimetres).

Okay...rough approximation so they know how much ducting to order...

Luckily I only need a metre or so as most of mine is still present.
----

22nd Dec...

This little package arrived this afternoon.

Was a little tricky to tell from the sales page on eBay, but it does look to be a pretty much perfect match for the original heater ducting still present on the car.

Didn't take long at all to get the missing ductwork reinstated.

I think the original duct was actually routed up into the inner wing down behind the battery, coil and voltage regulator. However I can't really see any particular reason for this so opted for the more economical route which will get in the way less. Getting the battery in and out is already enough of a faff without adding any more congestion to that corner. It's not as though anything will get stretched like this as everything to which the duct is attached here is all rigidly fixed together.

When I first started my old VW T25 up after it had been left sitting for about ten years the amount of crud that came flying out of the heater vents was truly comical. I was expecting much the same here, however that wasn't the case. All we got was this little bit of foam out of the demister vent.

While there's good flow through the cabin heater vent, the windscreen demister is less impressive. It's quite likely the duct is still full of crud though, and the flaps in the control box are a bit stiff. I'll pull it out for a good clean, lubrication of the moving parts and a quick lick of paint at some point soon.

This is apparently one of the more difficult Invacar bits to get hold of, so I'm very glad that it's both present and in working order.

Don't worry about the lack of hose clips on the fuel hose you can see in the above image. That hose is literally just sitting in a fuel can at the moment as there's no tank on the car. The fuel system will all be properly sealed with appropriate fasteners when installed. I'm planning to get some marine grade fuel hose for that given the issue I've had with the stuff from pretty much any motor factors perishing in next to no time lately. At least this thing is a bit less of a fire risk than most Reliants as it doesn't have the carb hanging right above the exhaust manifold.

Given that I didn't want to play automotive Tetris, I wasn't really able to back the Invacar out the garage, so having it running long enough to test the efficacy of the heater meant I had to deploy my extremely technical solution for stopping it filling the garage with exhaust fumes.

The tailpipe on this thing vents directly out the offside of the vehicle rather than out the back, so if not reversed out of the garage it does a good job of filling the garage with exhaust fumes. This results in the lounge smelling of car for several hours afterwards...hence my having come up with a way to convince the fumes to vacate the premises. For all it's hilariously crude, it seems to work.

Speaking of exhaust fumes, I made sure to have a CO detector in the cabin during this test as the exhaust heat exchanger had never been proven before - glad to report that it never twitched during the test. I will fit one in the cabin as a matter of course though as it just seems a sensible safety precaution.

The heat exchanger actually seems to work very well. I was only keeping the engine at a fast idle, I imagine the exhaust will run far hotter with the engine under load. Even so, the air coming from the vents was positively furnace like. I'll tick that off as a result I think.

Before I packed up for the afternoon I finally got around to sorting one of the really minor issues I'd identified with the Xantia. The nearside outer tail light had a small crack in the lens. Not really an issue as it didn't let water in or anything, but I had a good used replacement floating around in the box of bits of Citroen, so seemed daft not to change it.

The seal on the back seems to be in far better shape than the one that came off the car too which I don't reckon can be a bad thing.

Nice when a 30 second job is actually as quick and simple as it should be.

I think the next thing I need to do really is to have a bit of a tidy up to I can see what I'm doing. There are a ridiculous number of tools, boxes of fasteners, bits of various cars etc in the Invacar and scattered over the garage at the moment which is making it impossible to find anything and is just generally hindering me in getting stuff done...so I should sort that.
----

24th Dec...

Today I could potentially have got something useful done...but me being me, ticking off a minor cosmetic job was my preferred option.

The gaping hole in the top of the dash being the target of this afternoon's attention.

Long term, taking the dash out and swapping it for the spare one I have is the proper solution. However between seized fasteners, the general fragility of the dash and the fact that everything on the spare dash will need to be swapped over, that's not a job I'm looking forward to.

Short term though it's time for a bit of a bodge.

Let's go grab a bit of Foamex board, cut it to size and bolt it to the top of the dash.

Not going to win any prizes for beauty, but to my eye at least it's less visually offensive than the huge split that was there before. It has also vastly improved the structural integrity of the dash. Operation of the switches for the headlights or wiper no longer makes the whole thing creak and wobble.

Surprised it's the first time I've used this stuff for anything on a car to be honest.
----

26th Dec...

Had to give someone a lift earlier today and noticed that the battery really struggled to start the Activa. Very much a case of it started, but only just.

Out with the multimeter.

Off load at idle:

Then with every electrical item in the car turned on:

Those numbers look fine to me. I know I've been doing quite a few short runs lately though, so that's not going to have been doing anything any favours. I've stuck it on the charger and will leave it overnight.

Despite the engine having been running only seconds before the charger was hooked up, it definitely seemed to agree that the battery was indeed rather flat.

Fingers crossed a good overnight charge will sort things out, though if it's just time for a new battery then so be it. They just don't seem to last these days, though whether that's down to the batteries themselves or just the increasing electrical loads in cars as time has gone on I've no idea.
----

27th Dec...

So went to start the Activa today after the battery had been on charge overnight...still nearly flat. That will be a dead cell in the battery then. Time for a new one.

GSF/ECP want £140 for an identical one, Halfords £110 for their own brand one...hmm, let's check Costco. £68 with the VAT for an identical Bosch one, and I can just walk in and get it rather than faffing about ordering stuff. Was a no brainer really wasn't it.

Will hopefully get that fitted tomorrow and restore normality to my high velocity squidgy leather sofa. Oh, and let the poor Lada go into winter hibernation as it was meant to a month ago...
---

28th Dec...

With the new battery in the Activa normality appears to have been restored.

Old one lasted eight years. Seems poor to me, but a few folks have suggested that 5-7 years is about par for the course these days. The previous owner didn't drive it very much in recent years either so it probably spent a fair amount of time low on charge.

I was fed up of both parking the Activa on the front lawn and having to get my housemate to move his car whenever I wanted to get whatever was by the garage out...so time for some automotive Tetris.

Meant moving the van - which had been ditched where it was due to clutch shenanigans. I was guessing there was still air in the system (which there was) following my change of the slave cylinder a little while back. However once bled, it still wasn't behaving. The clutch would slowly re-engage itself even if you kept the pedal depressed. Closer inspection revealed that you can hear the master cylinder "hissing" as this happens. Fine then...will get a master cylinder on order. At least they're not massively expensive and access is good.

I'll be getting the cylinder direct from Merc. Having been through the maintenance docs it's obvious that the previous keepers have spared no expense, and it shows. The gremlins I'm fighting here are due to disuse more than anything. Plus I like the approach Mercedes have to heritage parts supply so want to encourage that.

As it was, I had to make do with having "some" clutch, and bunny hopping it out of the drive. At least parking was downhill so gravity did the work.

I had a nagging doubt in my mind that I would actually be able to fit the van and a car on the drive and still open the garage door...

Yes I can. Just!

Moving on to the Invacar I wanted to sort the only serious oil leak I had. The dipstick. These was a pinhole through the brazed base where the handle passed through the threaded cap. As a result of this (and the base of the dipstick tube being below the oil level in the sump) it would invariably "bleed" oil whenever the engine was running.

A thorough degrease of the dipstick and the ugliest bit of brazing in the history of mankind later...

...And we have an oil tight dipstick. It will look better once it's got some paint on.

The only remaining oil leak is from the sump drain plug.

Will put a fresh copper washer on there next time the oil is changed.

I've got a bag of assorted brake unions on the way, once they're here I can tidy up the braking system. Also received a pack of new old stock door seals today, so will probably get those fitted shortly too rather than persevering with my somewhat dog eared originals.
----

Today (30th Dec)...

Initially had planned to do a couple of useful things today however wound up running out of patience with the mess in the Invacar cabin.

The one task I did manage was to sort out the heater controls. The control for the cabin heater was sticky, traced to the cable sheath moving. The termination at the actual heater box isn't great, but fastening the three cables together has solved the problem. Of course it's also made them tidier which is also extremely important.

It was about this point that I knocked a bunch of tools over again, and felt it necessary to do a bit of tidying up.

Fire extinguisher was shoved back in the bracket as I was tired of falling over it, dropping it on my toes etc. Do need to find a proper bracket though as it's had one for the later powder type which is taller.

Having cleared a load of random tools and general debris out of the car it became very obvious how filthy it was...so the cleaning supplies came out.

Slightly more pleasant place to be now. Really need to get a new grip for the handlebars as I'm fed up of finding bits of blue foam everywhere.

Garage itself actually needs the same treatment now...

I've a load of brake fittings on the way which will hopefully mean I can tidy my earlier work there up soon.

So you're now all up to date!
Old Dec 30 2018, 05:20 PM   #4731
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Looking good, but driver seat is on the wrong side.

Old Dec 30 2018, 10:09 PM   #4732
SpaceCowboy
Plague-carrying cat

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

Maw it is centered in the cabin from what I can see which would be correct from what I remember him saying about it being a 3 wheeler. For that matter if it is on the right side it would still be correct since he is British.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Looking good, but driver seat is on the wrong side.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2018, 07:07 AM   #4733
Zelandeth

The seat is indeed central. It was originally able to slide to either side to assist in the driver's climbing aboard if they were transferring from a wheelchair. That functionality is no longer present due to how I've secured the more modern seat.

The original seat was beyond saving and this one was just taking up space in the garage. Plus I plan to use this thing so a more comfortable seat isn't a bad thing I reckon.
Old Jan 1 2019, 05:46 PM   #4734
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

That's because they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Old Jan 2 2019, 10:43 AM   #4735
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I hope everyone has a great year

Old Jan 2 2019, 05:00 PM   #4736
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

No. we drive on the left so we don't scare the horses walking/trotting/etc. on the right

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2019, 08:12 PM   #4737
Zelandeth

So a couple of days ago our fridge freezer decided to lose interest in cooling. Of course when it was chock full of stuff for Christmas and New Year. Cue frantically scrambling to get stuff into what's normally used as the drinks fridge these days (the main one came with the house) and the chest freezer in the garage and the fridge in the camper. We *just* managed to cram everything in. The fault was pretty quickly traced to a failed relay. £2.02 including delivery had a new one here, and fitting it took about 15 minutes. No chance you would get someone to come and repair a 15 year old fridge over here these days, so the vast majority of households would have wound up binning this for the sake of that relay.

New unit of equivalent spec these days over here would set you back around £800.

Obviously while it was empty and I wasn't rushing to get stuff done before things defrosted I'd have been daft not to give it a really good deep clean once it was fixed before putting stuff back in.

I actually quite enjoy getting stuff looking factory fresh so enjoyed this more than I probably should.

Back to the cars...

Speaking of cleaning things, the windscreen washer bottle was given a thorough clean and reinstated. The pipework will be more tidily routed in due course once I've finished messing with the wiring up above.

We all remember this ugly looking monstrosity?

I finally ran out of patience with it shedding blue powder all over everything whenever you went anywhere near it.

Much better. Funny how perceptually this makes it feel far closer to a working vehicle from the driver's seat despite being such a minor detail. Handlebars will be given a coat of hammered black paint at some point in the future too, obviously.

Have also picked up some hardener to go wish the resin and glass fibre matting I already have in stock, so am all set to make a start on some of the real bodywork jobs now.

I did however totally forget to pick up a new mastic gun to apply the gutter sealant with...which is what I actually went out for in the first place.
Old Jan 4 2019, 03:27 PM   #4738
Zelandeth

Thanks to input from the Microcar World group on Facebook (which I've extremely begrudgingly made use of simply because not doing so was proving to be a major pain in the tail in resource terms) I've finally been in touch with a fabrication shop who are actually interested in making me a fuel tank.

Fusion Fabrication over in Oxfordshire have agreed to make me one up that will be as close as possibly a direct replica of the original tank but in aluminium (because lightness counts of course!). £230 was the price quoted which is precisely the sort of ball park I'd been expecting really - not the £850 one other lot quoted... Will let you know how it turns out obviously.

Next step, order fuel gauge sender...Need to dig back through the various threads I've got on this I think as I'm sure someone mentioned which one I needed somewhere. It will no doubt be shared with some other British model from the 70s.
Old Jan 5 2019, 04:43 PM   #4739
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Glad you found someone to make a new one

Old Jan 7 2019, 01:17 PM   #4740
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

My last visit here was in june. Then my husband got so sick that I never had time to come tot MOM. He past away august 3th en I had to get used to being alone. Now everything has calmed down a little, I'll be more often here.
I hope you all will have a great 2019.
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2019, 08:48 PM   #4741
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Sorry to hear about your Hubby. If you need a place to vent, cry ect.... Feel free to post here. We can at least sympathise.

Old Jan 11 2019, 12:08 AM   #4742
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

We have been mostly dry for three whole days. We're going to make up for it this weekend. 5-10 inches of snow & ice.
I would love a to have a dragon. She could melt the icky stuff. I could even offer icky weather clearing services.

That could be a way a dragon rider could earn marks, once the thread stops. Snow removing. A few dragons could clear a mountain pass in next to no time.

Old Jan 13 2019, 04:49 PM   #4743
Allen

We were out in the storm Friday, all the way from Licking to Jonesburg (both Missouri) and back again. First problem was that I chose to believe the National Weather Service forecast for both locations(for once). It said that snow wouldn't begin until mid-afternoon. Hit the first snow before noon. Then the car decided to malfunction, well over halfway there. Got to Jonesburg, got what we came for, and got back on the road with the bum car, all in less than 30 minutes. Before we got home, I was passing cars, trucks, and snowplows. They were driving too slow to suit me on I-44. But I wasn't THAT bad, because I got passed by others more than twice. Just that most people are a bunch of dumb, no-driving losers. I had just gotten caught in a REAL blizzard in Nebraska on I-50, less than 2 weeks before. That one closed the hiway in less than 2 hours after starting, so we spent all of one afternoon and night in a motel in Lincoln before getting back on the road the next morning. Did see one guy bite the median when he tried to slow and change direction to pull back into the line of traffic when he spotted the Sherriff in front of him. Dummy.

But if I can drive that weather down and make it from Jonesburg to Rock Springs Wyoming then from there to Conway Springs Kansas and then home, all while sick, I have the right and the skills to drive as I was Friday.
Old Jan 13 2019, 07:32 PM   #4744
Zelandeth

Have a couple of updates from during the recent database error downtime... I've made a couple of pretty huge steps forward with Project Invacar.

Wednesday 9th January.

So we've made a start on the bodywork.

I've not done any real work with fibreglass like this before so it's an exercise in experimentation. Main target at this stage is "presentable at twenty paces and acceptable at the MOT.". I'm under no illusions that I won't wind up reworking this at some point in the future. Someone is currently looking at the possibility of making some moulds as well so it's entirely possible that repair sections may become available a year or two down the line too.

We started with this.

Which when I left the garage this evening looked like this.

Still scruffy by any standards, but scruffy is preferable to missing, so feels like progress.

Definitely reverting to the application method I've seen a friend using though (wetting the mat in a tray then applying that to the bodywork rather than holding the mat in place and "painting" over it) as doing it the way illustrated on the tin was a gigantic pain in the tail as the mat even when properly wetted through was far more interested in sticking to the brush than the bodywork.

Also highlighted how well insulated from the house our garage isn't. The whole house now stinks to high heaven of resin.

----

Saturday 12th January.

Was expecting a couple of parts for the Invacar in the post yesterday. Still waiting for them...however something far more exciting turned up instead.

They were all scrapped in 2003, and we all know once that happens the car is doomed, right?

Had expected this to require far more arguing with the DVLA, however all that wound up being required was a V62, a cheque for £25, a covering letter and a bundle of photos showing the car as a whole and the chassis, body and engine numbers.

Suffice to say, having the V5C turn up is a massive step forward. It however can't just be taxed like that...you need to do this first...

[] Fill in section 7 on the V5.
- Wheel plan/body type, change from "invalid vehicle/not recorded" to "3-wheel/tricycle."
- Engine size, 493cc. They all show 9999cc as that seems to be the default value the system put in when the records were digitised if the field was blank.
- Engine number, self explanatory.
- Number of seats, 1.
- Tax class, change "disabled" to "historic."

[] Go to Post Office. Have them change the tax class there (no MOT needed, V112 exemption certificate is sufficient). They retained the V5C for onward transmission directly to the DVLA.

So for the first time since at least 2001, she is taxed.

Then rang up my insurer (Hagerty) to get it on cover (all of £50 a year), as I wanted to take the van off cover as it's laid up for winter anyhow...so wound up getting a nice little refund.

So now the only thing between it and the road is my own to do list...suffice to say this should make for a good incentive to get my tail in gear and finish it.

Lack of requiring an MOT is a bonus (it will still get one) as it will mean the first testing can be gently trundling around our neighborhood rather than a mad dash all the way across town to the MOT centre.

The evening task was to reattach the nearside gutter...job done.

The self tapping screws are temporary, nuts and bolts will be used - I discovered after applying the sealant that I couldn't fit the rivet gun in, so needed to find a way to hold the gutter on while the sealant set.

----

Saturday 12th Jan Evening Additional report.

Turns out my determination to get the trim panel above the windscreen off was well founded given this is what greeted me when I finally drilled out the seized screw and got it off.

Thankfully the occupants were no longer present and as I've seen no other evidence of them I'm happy to believe that they're gone.

Annoyingly I'll need to pick up a second 1/8" Whitworth spanner to get the heater control box (for painting) and the windscreen demister assembly (to ensure it's free of rodent nests and to improve the degree to which it's sealed as a heap of air currently exits in unhelpful directions). So that's a job for the future.

This is what the trim panel looked like with the rotten cloth and foam removed.

Once I've managed to remove the adhesive (and the remaining sun visor hinge) it will be given a coat of hammered finish black paint. I reckon that will look as though it was as intended by the factory. The original cloth actually looks oddly out of place I think.

The bolts I'd planned to use on the roof gutters unfortunately have heads too big to fit in the channel. I'll try to find something more appropriate tomorrow. That's not a massively high priority.

Nice little package of stuff arrived this morning.

That's a fuel gauge sender, new air filter (finally!) and one of the later Curtis/Veglia fuel gauges. So irrespective of which type of sender is in the box I should be able to make that work. Also means I can now take measurements of the sender unit and send those to the gent who is making the fuel tank for me.

Probably get tyres ordered this week...the first test run (even though it will just be a third of a mile loop round our neighborhood) is getting tantalisingly close now...

----

Sunday 13th January.

I think it's fair to say that the old air filter was "due for replacement" on this occasion...

Much better.

The rest of the day's tasks came under the heading of "unexciting but important" given the steadily approaching point at which I'll want to venture beyond the end of the driveway.

The driver's seat still had the seat belt buckle and pretensioner assembly from its previous life in a Xantia attached. This was annoying in that I repeatedly sat on it when climbing aboard and that it got in the way of the seat belt. So that got removed (anyone need a spare for an S2 Xantia?). This meant that it was time to remove the original mangled seat belt buckle though - which I was staggered to find actually unbolted without too much protest.

Obviously that was destined only for the bin!

Nice new old stock eye bolt was installed...

Which finally meant I could clip the seatbelt into place correctly.

The seatbelt now in a functional state I figured it made sense to sort the seat itself next. The main issue I had was that it wobbled because the clamps I'd used to secure the seat to the original framework were slightly too big - so I ran out of thread on the bolts before everything was properly secured. It couldn't actually *go* anywhere, just wobbled by a couple of millimetres.

I suddenly had the brainwave telling me that I didn't actually need to replace the clamps, instead just stick a few washers under the securing nuts to act as spacers, giving me the extra 1.8" or so of thread I needed. Worked perfectly, and the seat is now more securely fastened in place than the original was I reckon.

Knowing I was done with messing for that for now I drilled a couple of holes in and reattached the trim that used to be on the side of it, hiding the somewhat ugly mounting hardware from the nearside.

Having a seat that doesn't go "clonk" alarmingly every time you sit down and having a working seatbelt definitely seem things it was worth ticking off the to do list.

The eagle eyed among you might have spotted in the above photo that the offside interior door release has also been refitted.

Nothing I've thrown at it so far has any impact on the glue from the sun visor trim panel, so looks like that will need to be removed by brute force and an andle grinder.

The absolutely disgusting sun visor (I'm not kidding, it was gross)...

Cleaned up quite nicely overnight with a trip through my "parts washer" so is now ready to be refitted once the panel it attaches to is ready.

I didn't want to tackle the brake pipes while the car is in the garage as having access to all sides of the car will make that a fair bit easier, so might try to pull it out the garage and do that tomorrow if the weather co-operates.

I've been struggling a bit psychologically this last few weeks so have generally been trying to keep myself busy.

Nearly forgot! The Sinclair C5 has had the first trip out of the year now.

Much to the confusion of everyone we met as always.

What I had totally forgotten until a friend mentioned it in a response to a photo I posted on Twitter was that the tenth of January (day this was taken) was the 34th anniversary of the launch of the C5. As always, find myself wondering if I'll ever cross paths with another one out there one day.

Last edited by Zelandeth; Jan 13 2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added additional content
Old Jan 14 2019, 05:29 PM   #4745
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Sounds like you're making good progress on the car.

We got mostly ice, very little snow. Suppose to get another storm this coming weekend. There was a frozen fog weather advisory this morning.

Old Jan 14 2019, 06:04 PM   #4746
Zelandeth

Today's little progress report - albeit not a huge amount as it's been one of those days where every time I started doing something another urgent matter would pop up requiring immediate attention...

Sometimes you have to take what look superficially like a few steps backward to move forward.

You know that thing I did bolting the seat in place yesterday? Yep, went and pulled it out again today.

To be fair I knew I was going to be doing that, I've got a list of things on the whiteboard which basically come under the heading of "stuff I bodged when I was wanting to just get the car going" and "stuff I couldn't get at earlier."

The transmission access hatch needed to come off. Of course there was the obligatory *one* screw that wouldn't come out. There's always one.

Out with the drill again. Then half an hour of very, very carefully peeling the gasket off as it was well and truly stuck to the bulkhead.

So there were a few things I wanted this off for.

Firstly, the offside engine mount. I'd only managed to get one bolt into it when the engine went in, and the nut wouldn't do up fully because the bolt was partly cross threaded. Access was awkward from the back of the car, but a doddle when approaching from inside the car. Note to self: next time you need to change one, do it from that side.

While I was back there I rerouted the throttle cable properly through the eye on the gearbox which has helped stop it sticking. Also took the opportunity to adjust the gear selector which is far easier with the seat out the way.

While rummaging around I found two battery clamps, so have replaced the missing one.

I've also been pondering my seat attachment setup and reckon that I can improve on my original solution...which worked but was exceedingly inelegant. I can do better.

Other reason I wanted that cover off was to get better access for routing the rear axle brake lines. Once that's done everything will be getting buttoned back up.
Old Jan 14 2019, 07:44 PM   #4747
Allen

Two penetrating fluids we have here that REALLY work are PB Blaster and Aero Kroil. PB Blaster is modern, but Aero Kroil is a modern aerosol version of Kroil, which dates back to the early 1920s. It was advertised as "the oil that creeps". If either one is available over there, it might save you some drilling out, and original fasteners are always better to have on a restoration. I don't know what your rules are on aerosol products there, but I personally prefer things that are non-aerosol. Less waste and mess. So since my old favorite isn't available by the gallon any more, I'm looking for the original Kroil.
Old Jan 14 2019, 08:41 PM   #4748
Zelandeth

I've not had *too* much trouble with actually seized fasteners on this car so far. The majority have caused problems because the heads of screws have decayed beyond usefulness where I've had to drill things out.

The best penetrating fluid I've found is a mixture of acetone, old school automatic transmission fluid and a dash of diesel. Just don't spill it or you'll be finding it for months.

The fasteners in this thing (aside from those in the actual important mechanical bits) were the cheapest they could find - 43 years ago. With it having sat in a damp field with no rear window since at least 2001, the damp has seen to pretty much every one in the interior being knackered.

Replacements are all stainless steel where possible, likewise the new fuel lines will be marine grade...though hopefully the majority of the fasteners I'm fitting now won't never need to come out again...

It's a funny little car...the engine and drive systems are clearly made up to a standard with little regard for price, likewise the chassis which is vastly over sophisticated for the type of vehicle - and then has the cheapest, shoddily built body plonked on it.

I guess being such an engineering oddity was what drew me to it.
Old Jan 15 2019, 03:38 PM   #4749
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara View Post
My last visit here was in june. Then my husband got so sick that I never had time to come tot MOM. He past away august 3th en I had to get used to being alone. Now everything has calmed down a little, I'll be more often here.
I hope you all will have a great 2019.
Lieve Mara, jij ook de beste wensen voor 2019 en heel veel sterkte!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15 2019, 07:17 PM   #4750
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
I've not had *too* much trouble with actually seized fasteners on this car so far. The majority have caused problems because the heads of screws have decayed beyond usefulness where I've had to drill things out.

The best penetrating fluid I've found is a mixture of acetone, old school automatic transmission fluid and a dash of diesel. Just don't spill it or you'll be finding it for months.

The fasteners in this thing (aside from those in the actual important mechanical bits) were the cheapest they could find - 43 years ago. With it having sat in a damp field with no rear window since at least 2001, the damp has seen to pretty much every one in the interior being knackered.

Replacements are all stainless steel where possible, likewise the new fuel lines will be marine grade...though hopefully the majority of the fasteners I'm fitting now won't never need to come out again...

It's a funny little car...the engine and drive systems are clearly made up to a standard with little regard for price, likewise the chassis which is vastly over sophisticated for the type of vehicle - and then has the cheapest, shoddily built body plonked on it.

I guess being such an engineering oddity was what drew me to it.
The problem with acetone is besides its toxicity is its evaporation rate. I was a die hard fan of CRC 5.56 but they quit making it and made Powerlube, which wasn't the same, but still better than WD40. Now they don't make THAT any more. But two CRC products I will still highly recommend ard Brakleen and Lectromotive. The former is for cleaning up brake parts where things have been leaking; it's extremely effective in cleaning up old brake shoes when a wheel cylinder has leaked fluid. Lectomotive will clean up generators and alternators, as well as other electrical components. I once had an old car with a generator whose commutator had a flat spot. Due to arcing, it would quit charging every so often. I could spray Lectromotive into the back of it while the car was running and it would clean the commutator and it would go back to charging for another 6 months. Had a 1960 Dodge whose generator quit charging. A spray of Lectromotive and I was back in business. Both products are aerosol.
Old Jan 17 2019, 07:57 PM   #4751
Zelandeth

One of the best penetrating lubricants available off the shelf over here is Plusgas. No idea what's in it (probably don't want to know!) but it's streets ahead of WD40, GT-85 etc.

I think with the home made mix the volatility of the acetone is actually useful as it assists in helping the ATF which does the actual lubrication wick it's way into threads and such before evaporating - it also tends to do a good job of dissolving old dried up grease, paint etc that would otherwise stop most sprays from getting in.

I've found just neat diesel to work well too for smaller stuff if you can just leave it in a bucket of the stuff for a few days.

Last couple of days have been electrical, though only in fits and starts as I've been a bit under the weather.

One very sensible upgrade on any classic car is a battery kill switch. It's just common sense. Given how rudimentary the fuse protection on this thing is I felt it wasn't just sensible but was essential. I trust the electrical system to not spontaneously combust when left unattended about as far as I can throw it.

So with the rear bulkhead open it was time to get that wired in. Works out nicely given where the battery lives, it's a trivial job to just extend the positive lead to the rear bulkhead of the cabin and to fit the switch there.

This is sited down to the left of the driver's seat, where the "tail" of the seatbelt will tend to wind up - so it will be easy to incorporate turning that on into the belting up procedure. Yes, even in this situation I'm keeping ergonomic planning in mind!

Nice old school switch as well which doesn't look out of place and switches with a very satisfying "clonk" - the necessary tools to bypass it of course will be kept in the vehicle tool kit in case of failure.

Speaking of electrical power, it was high time to get the Invacar its own battery. I'd just been stealing the one from the C5 generally but this had two problems. Firstly being that I also needed it for the C5, but secondly and most importantly was the fact that it didn't fit. The type 038 battery was simply too long.

After a not insignificant amount of head scratching (and measuring what felt like every car battery on every shelf in Buckinghamshire) I came to the conclusion that the original battery is a sufficiently obsolete type as to be hard to find. I think I found one online specialist who had one in stock, but they were asking silly money, clearly the target audience being folks doing a concourse level restoration.

The closest match I could source locally and reasonably cheaply was a U1-R, commonly seen these days in lawn tractors, some bigger motorcycles and small plant machinery. As such they're cheap and readily available off the shelf. Specifications were identical to those in the manuals. The only differences being that the U1-R is slightly more compact in all dimensions and lacks a flange around the base. As such I'll need to make up some spacers for the battery tray and add a strap to secure it. That's really not a problem though.

Here it is sitting in place just before being hooked up.

Looks to be perfectly in scale with the rest of the engine bay.

The other big plus side of this battery is the weight - only 7.5kg rather than 12kg for the next nearest fit. In a car with less than 20bhp, any weight saving can only be a good thing!

Really feel I'd like to get it out the garage again tomorrow...aside from anything else I'd like to give that whole area a good wash down while I've got the bulkhead cover out...though I'll probably just leave that be for now, wait till the weather warms back up a bit.

My *hope* is that tomorrow I'll be able to get the rear axle brake lines tidied up so I can then button up the rear bulkhead again and reinstate the driver's seat permanently, as that's the last thing I knowingly need access there for. Gearbox and differential oils have been changed and levels triple checked, CVT static belt tension is fine, and everything else is accessed from the engine side.

Getting excessively excited and impatient for the first test drive to happen now...
Old Jan 18 2019, 03:37 PM   #4752
Allen

Diesel fuel is basically high grade kerosene with a little oil added in for lubrication. Jet fuel is even higher grade kerosene;that is, more thoroughly refined, with some very light lubricant added in. Years of automotive maintenance experience in the USAF as well as a lot of reading has taught me this.

All this offered in case you didn't know.

Over here, diesel is less than straight K-1 kerosene, which is what my "oil" lamps burn.... they're known as oil lamps because in the old days kerosene was commonly known as coal oil. I believe in Europe and maybe the UK, it was called paraffin. Paraffin here is a "wax" used in canning and candy making.

Your battery kill switch is a good idea, not only for safety, but also as a theft deterrent.

I just checked ebay for Invacar and found some kid's books (Ivan the Invacar) and some UK based parts listed. But I bet you already have looked.

Last edited by Allen; Jan 18 2019 at 04:11 PM.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18 2019, 07:18 PM   #4753
Zelandeth

My father back in the early 80s worked in the airport on Shetland, and had some nice stories of how useful contaminated Jet A1 could prove, and that in the days of barter that it proved a useful currency!

Not had a particularly productive day.

While digging around I discovered that the hose routing air to the cabin outlet was actually hanging off and the last inch or so had disintegrated. Thankfully there was just enough left to trim it back to sound hose and reattach it.

Next step was trying to get rid of the crud in the various hoses in the interests of not getting crud in the eye halfway down the A509.

Sealed the inlet side of the system off...

(Read: pull the duct off and stuff a rag in the end)

I know the heat exchanger and the hose from there to the control box is clear as I'd already dealt with that off the car.

Then set both the heater and demister on before attaching a vacuum source to draw air in through the demister, through the control box and back out through the cabin heater outlet.

With this setup in place I basically went around and battered every inch of the ducting with the handle of a screwdriver until I could no longer hear stuff rattling down the vacuum cleaner hose.

This is basically the point at which progress stalled as I decided to change the fan belts. Which was fine until I got back from the motor factors and it immediately became apparent that the two belts they had given me were in fact not identical.

Got back there to discover they didn't have a second longer one in stock, so will have to go back tomorrow. Blarg. By this point I'd wasted an hour on that and immobiliser the car as the starter motor was no longer attached to the engine essentially.

I have however given myself some more time to consider a proper permanent seat attachment system. These were picked up as a major part of that.

They're 2.5mm thick steel and far chunkier than they look in the photo. The basic plan is that these will be attached to the Invacar seat frame by two M6 bolts each, and then the runners of the new seat will be bolted down to these brackets.

This will be far, far more sturdy than my original bodge, and in addition will retain both the lateral and height adjustment features of the seat. It will also give me the ability to compensate for the runners on the seat being offset roughly an inch to the right, which is nice.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little more productive.
Old Jan 18 2019, 09:01 PM   #4754
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I was watch Supernatural last night, half way through the channel went out, because of weather. Mom was amused, she doesn't like it. I was not happy. Mom got less happy when it was pointed out that the shows she was recording were out as well. We all missed out.

Old Jan 19 2019, 06:46 PM   #4755
Zelandeth

So first task of the day was to get the new belts fitted. Ten minute job, and the tension even seemed to be right off the bat, though obviously I expect that to change once the engine has run.

10x813 is the belt size in case you wondered.

Attempting to *do* that was foiled by the thing refusing to start again. I'm willing to bet money the offside cylinder has flooded and fouled the plug again. This seems to be an issue after a series of very short runs, and I'm hoping will resolve itself once I'm able to get it a proper run. I decided after it started on one cylinder to just file this under "come back to later as I've better things to do just now."

Next up, seat. Let's get this sorted out once and for all.

Here's where we ended up.

Doesn't look that different to things before does it? At a glance, no.

Here's the "before" shot in case you were wondering....

There's been a hell of a lot of planning, measuring, calculating and such involved to get to that point.

Originally I just had four huge U-bolts wrapped around the entire rails of the Xantia seat clamping it to the original seat's frame.

Now we've got an M8 bolt on each corner down through the original Xantia mounting points into the angle brackets you saw yesterday - which are then bolted to the original seat frame.

The rear ones are currently bolted through the original seat clamp onto the frame (hence there only being one bolt per side at present), whereas the front have had a pair of bolts through the seat frame.

I think given things have lined up in such a way to allow for it I'll probably drill a hole and add an additional bolt at the rear tomorrow.

They're lined up in such a way to help centralise the seat (the rails are offset to one side by an inch or so), and it seems to have worked.

Driving position now feels perfectly central rather than noticeably offset to the left as used to be the case.

There are some big additional features compared to the original seat "bodge" that I had in here though. All of the original adjustments available are now fully functional (as is the original left/right sliding setup from the original Invacar seat) - which allows an additional party trick...

Yep, with the seat slid fully forward and the backrest tilted forwards, it's possible to get the rear access cover in and out without removing the seat.

I did have one "oops" moment however when I realised that I couldn't get at the head of the big M8 bolt that I'd used to secure the seat down onto the brackets (which has a slot to allow me to fine tune the left/right position) to tighten them up.

Cue me getting inventive.

Take two nuts, screw onto the end of the threaded section and make a lock nut - then used that to stop the bolt rotating while tightening the nut holding the seat down up. Job done.

I was worried that it was going to be too flimsy a solution, but it seems to be perfectly fine. It's worth mentioning that the whole lot it depending on a few tiny screws and a pair of nylon rollers in a runner at the back to hold that side to the car anyway! So I get the feeling that this is probably over-engineered if anything...It's stood up perfectly fine to me (literally) jumping into the seat without moving a millimetre. Seatbelt isn't secured to the seat like on many modern cars - it's secured to the bulkhead at the top and to eye bolts secured to the chassis crossmember at the floor level. So the seat is purely something that you're sitting on, it's not involved in actually holding you in place.

Having a proper adjustable seat means I can get into a much more comfortable feeling driving position with my feet braced against the bulkhead, so I think this is a good result overall.

I'm somewhat amused at how close a colour match I seem to have randomly found in Halfords...

No that's not the "finish" I'm going for - that was purely a "let's see the colour" test. I need to trim the bottom of the panel back as well.

Speaking of paint - I'll be giving the brackets and such I've just added to the seat frame a coat of blue paint as well so they'll hopefully blend in with the original metalwork better.

Feels like a reasonable couple of hours work this evening and a decent step towards roadworthiness, see also the "stuff I orginally bodged together but need to do properly before she hits the road" list.
Old Jan 20 2019, 04:49 PM   #4756
Zelandeth

Yesterday was one of those days where I acheived what looked like quite a bit of work in a relatively short time. Today was the opposite sort of day, where quite a bit of time was spent but it looks like there's very little to show for it - though it's actually quite a big step towards the car being roadworthy.

Step 1.

Spend the best part of an hour crawling around on the floor attempting (and eventually suceeding) in extricating this.

Two factors made this a pain. Firstly the fact that the T-piece (the bit I needed to reuse) was positioned directly above the handbrake linkage. This made getting at it difficult. Secondly was the fact that as with everything on this car it was held on with a bolt and non-captive nut. The other end of which I couldn't really get at with anything. Eventually though I managed to mangle the bracket enough to get a spanner onto it and got it undone.

Step 2.

Spend another hour wrestling the two remaining brake pipes out of it.

They *really* didn't want to come out - however eventually a combination of brute force and the MAPP Gas torch of persuasion were victorious.

Thankfully the threads all seem to be absolutely fine, so the T-piece with a fresh set of unions is ready to be used again.

Step 3.

Apply some forward thinking to the siting of the T-piece.

I'd already played getting new pipes onto that thing once on KP. Getting them off TP was equally as much of a royal pain. The way the brake pipes were all tucked up into the chassis made it tricky to carry out a visual inspection of them unless you were up on a ramp as well.

As such, I decided to move things a bit. The T-piece is now attached to the bodywork just below the service hatch, and the lines will run along there before heading off to the flexis going to the rear wheels. I'll install some P-clips along there to keep them in place (the original pipes just seem to by and large rely on luck from keeping them in place and preventing them rubbing through on stuff).

This will make future inspection and maintenance easier (as the whole of the brake piping setup from the T-piece to the wheels will then be visible with the service hatch open), and should keep stuff further away from road grime under the car hopefully.

It also means that I can do the actual connection of the brake lines to there while sitting in the car rather than contorted into horrifically uncomfortable positions underneath the car. Surely that's got to improve my chances at doing a decent job of it. The body of the T-piece will be secured in place while the unions are done up of course - I won't be applying all that torque to the tiny area of fibreglass it's currently bolted to.

I'm definitely not discounting the idea of at some point converting the braking system on this car to a dual circuit setup, so anything I can do to make it more user friendly in future has to be a good thing I reckon.

With a bit of luck tomorrow I should be able to get the actual lines connected up to this and we should be pretty close to being in business. At least I have a stock of unions in the garage now, so if I mangle the odd one here or there it's no big deal.

Edit: The fuel tank is apparently all but finished! Just going to drop the sender unit off with the guy making it so he can double--check that the holes are spaced correctly before the boss is welded onto the tank. Soon I can dispense with having to precariously balance a fuel can whenever I want to move it...

Last edited by Zelandeth; Jan 20 2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jan 22 2019, 09:13 PM   #4757
Zelandeth

Here are the crusty remains of the front to rear brake line once removed from the car. This had been bypassed by a temporary line for quite a while to make moving the car around less terrifying, but wasn't actually removed until yesterday.

The in-line coupler will be saved (the fittings used on this thing are actually all nice quality), but the pipework is obviously only destined for the scrap metal bin.

New front to rear line is now in place (the temporary one I'd had just dangling under the car is visible to the right) and connected up at the front.

The line you can see to the right of the frame is the temporary one I'd plumbed in a while ago - that's now also been removed.

Pipework has been run right up to the T-piece for the rear axle connections.

Goes without saying that there will be a bunch of grommets, clips and bits of rubber sheathing installed to make sure it can't rub through on anything as this car has no shortage of rough edges.

I was a bit disappointed not to have time to get the lines to the rear wheels connected up yesterday evening as the lines are tantalisingly close to being finished. However it wasn't to be.

While I was crawling around under the car removing the old pipes I took the opportunity to thoroughly douse the handbrake mechanism in penetrating oil, so I'll be looking at seeing if I can get that to behave itself soon as well. A good parking brake is essential on this car as there's no way to secure it without it!

It gave me a good opportunity to have a proper look at the condition of the chassis as well. It's quite remarkable to be honest...I've no idea what they rust proofed these old crates with when they made them, but it's incredibly effective. There's nothing beyond light surface corrosion present, despite the car being 43 years old, and having spent the last 15 years in a boggy field with no wheels on.

Between a hospital appointment awkwardly scheduled right in the middle of the day and my getting stuck in traffic this afternoon I've nothing to really update today. However I did discover this evening that unbeknown to me at the time my husband snapped a hugely flattering photo of me while I was busy working on the seat installation the other day. If you wondered how compact the Invacar actually is relative to a person, here you go.

Having a completely flat floor without pedals in the way does make it slightly easier to do stuff like this, and in fact it wasn't even that uncomfortable once I was folded into that corner.

Getting back *out* of that corner on the other hand, that was a process which I will simply describe as "inelegant."

The interior is actually decently roomy for a single person - especially compared to some of the contemporary microcars. In conjunction with my having chosen to fit a more comfortable seat, I can see it not being too bad a place to spend time on some longer trips - important given I've quite a few planned for later this year or next year...
Old Jan 23 2019, 10:31 AM   #4758
Allen

Having worked on antique and modern cars and trucks, everything from a 1914 Scripps Booth through Model T and Model A , 1928 Reo Flying Cloud, 1949 and 1950 Bentley, Hudson, Buick, the list goes on ad nauseum, I feel your pain in getting into and especially back out of tight spots. Fun part is getting yourself into a tight area only to find out that not only can you NOT work like that, but you almost panic to find you MIGHT not be able to extract yourself without help. I'm sure you've been there. My best was years ago when I decided to do something I couldn't do back in the '70s; grow my hair long. I had been in the military in the '70s. I was 3 years without a haircut. But with a ponytail in excess of 18 inches I would be under a vehicle on a creeper and sometimes find myself trapped with my hair tangled in a wheel. Flat on my back, with a vehicle less than 12 inches above my face, usually under the middle of the car, which would of course not be something the size of your Invacar, but rather more like a 1948 Lincoln Continental V-12.
Old Jan 23 2019, 05:11 PM   #4759
Zelandeth

Oh I've plenty of history of getting myself wedged in all manner of situations, especially faffing around with old buses. Ending up between the engine and rear bulkhead on an old Leyland Olympian, sorting a coolant line as I recall, particularly springs to mind. It was all going fine - right up to the point that one of my shoelaces decided to get itself tied around an exhaust clamp.

Courtesy of traffic today turning what should have been a two hour round trip into nearly five, and an absolutely splitting headache - no work done today.

However I can confirm that my new fuel tank does indeed exist. I've seen it and it looks excellent. It has been successfully pressure tested too, so it just awaiting the boss for the sender being attached and the breather hole to be drilled in the cap. They now have the gauge sender in hand so can confirm everything fits before welding stuff in place.

Had a brief chat about the exhaust too and they reckon that it's well within their capabilities to recreate in stainless though they'd want to take a look at it before talking money - sounds like an excuse for a drive over there once she's on the road.

Vintage Tyres are just down the road from us in Bicester, so if time permits tomorrow I might wander over there to see about getting myself some nice new Camac 145 R10 tyres as that's one of the big remaining things on the to do list.

Have definitely decided now that I am sticking with the 10" wheels (being a 1973 car she probably would have been on 12" wheels originally). Four reasons:

1. The higher profile of the 10" tyres over the 12" ones should help the ride quality.
2. Being the tyre size originally fitted to the Mini, they're readily and cheaply available.
3. Cosmetic preference. I reckon the wheels look much more in scale with the rest of the car with the 10s.
4. Hypothetical grip improvement. They 10" tyres have a wider profile, and I figure that given these cars seem to have a reputation for getting blown around, the more rubber in contact with the road the better I guess.

Oh...and I have three ten inch wheels in good order, all of the twelves need help to at least some extent...if I even still have them... can't remember if I sent them all off with KP now I think about it.

Ride comfort and looks are the main ones though.
Old Jan 25 2019, 06:10 PM   #4760
Zelandeth

As hoped, I managed to get a couple of hours this afternoon to attack the to do list.

Getting the rear brakes actually connected up was of course the first order of business given how close to done that job was before.

Just need to fit a couple of clips to keep the pipes from rubbing against things.

Oh - and get the flexis changed. Though the rubber is actually in pretty good shape, I've tortured them pretty well and there's no real perishing to speak of and they've stood up quite happily to me literally hanging my entire weight on the handlebars without any bulging or anything. They'll still be changed as a matter of course - but I'm happy enough for that to be after the first test runs. The front one has been replaced already with a NOS part I got with KP.

At this point I figured I'd save myself some time by grabbing an Easibleed. I want to change the fluid in the van soon and that's going to be quite tedious the old fashioned way and they're hardly expensive.

...However they do not come with an adaptor in the box to fit the old Girling master cylinder. The largest one in the box is a good 1/2" too small. D'oh!

Fine, back to doing things the old fashioned way. The piping runs being pretty short at least mean that it doesn't take long to bleed the fluid through. Even if the offside one had to be done from the union onto the wheel cylinder as the bleed nipple on that side still isn't interested in moving.

All done and I have what feels like a reasonable "pedal" - there's still more free play than I'd like, though as I've mentioned already the handbrake mech needs freeing up - and I've not adjusted anything. Not faffing around trying to do that inside the garage where I've no room to move.

Time for some moving tests though...so let's clear the car of the accumulated junk (again), button the rear access panel back up and shift the van so I've got a bit of room to play with.

Took a surprising amount of time to empty this tiny space again...

I managed to ascertain that I do have brakes. Didn't have time to really ascertain much beyond that as the smell of petrol started to become obviously not just that from the open can out the back, but was Far More than I should be smelling...Immedialy obvious when I stopped the engine was the "Tssssshhh...Tsssssh..." of something dripping and evapourating from something hot.

That would be petrol dripping out of the fuel pump, onto the tinware and then straght onto the offside exhaust branch. Rather unnerving!

That hose was weeping about a week ago and I trimmed the last inch or so off the end of it - today though it's escaping from around the access cover on the top of the pump itself. Grrrr...Easy enough to sort at least, and I spotted it *before* the car had a chance to set fire to itself!

Will get that sorted out (I wanted to give the screen in the pump another clean anyway so not all bad) tomorrow and then give the brakes a bit more exercise on the driveway. Next up will probably be either swapping out the indicator switch to one that works more reliably or fashioning a heat shield of some sort to cover the exhaust until I can summon the willpower to fully rebuild the rear apron.

She's pretty much unburied though which is pretty rare these days!