A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Oct 28 2008, 12:59 AM   #1
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint
Default Orchestra Concert

The video isn't there anymore, because he took it down, and I don't know why or exactly when he did it.

I had a concert the other night, and the conductor posted one of the songs we played on youtube, so I thought I would share it with all of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rBYFlJXJEM

A few notes about this performance. The conductor is a guest conductor from Guatemala, and he's only 26. He's involved in music schools there that are helping keep kids off the streets, and giving them something more constructive to do. He is an amazing conductor, and one of the most animated conductors I've ever played for.

The other two songs on the concert were the overture to Nabucco by Verdi, and Beethoven's 7th. I don't know if he'll put the video of those up or not.

I am in the video, but the most you can see through it all is the back of my head.

Last edited by r2005; Nov 3 2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: to mention that the video has been taken down
r2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2008, 03:01 AM   #2
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Orchestra Concert

Actually the toe-tapping violinist is very good and yes I enjoyed the videoclip. Well done!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2008, 04:44 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

And you are a member of this orchestra, r? Wow! Great going
And yes, the conductor is VERY animated

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2008, 10:03 AM   #4
r2005
Crafter
Student

I'm third person in counting from the people in the bottom left hand corner. The person you can see in the left hand corner with the beard is our normal conductor.
The best shot of me is between about the 5 second mark, and the 10 second mark. I'm next to a person who has very tan skin, and my skin looks very pale in comparison.

I was so happy when I found out that this video was put up on Youtube because I was able to share it with people who normally don't get to see them.
Old Oct 28 2008, 03:27 PM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Wow! Sounds brilliant and it looks fun (and difficult) to play!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28 2008, 03:47 PM   #6
r2005
Crafter
Student

I'm happy that you've all enjoyed listening to that clip.

There were parts of it that were really difficult. I don't know how much other people on here know about playing the violin. Some parts of that particular piece of music were all the way up in 5th or 6th position which is really uncomfortable to be in because your hand is actually closer to the body of the instrument, and the notes are a lot closer together the higher you start to get. When you're playing that high, if you're just a fraction off on your finger placement, the note can sound really bad.

I would like to say that I hate playing in 5th and 6th position for the reasons stated above. I much prefer staying in first position, and I'll tolerate third position when I have to.
Old Oct 28 2008, 04:19 PM   #7
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I used to play the cello so I know what you mean
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29 2008, 12:56 AM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

*R* This was incredibly beautiful...and truly facinating that you play in such a wonderful sounding orchestra...WOW.

Do you enjoy performing in front of an audience? How long have you been playing and what do you play in the orchestra???

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29 2008, 12:23 PM   #9
r2005
Crafter
Student

I've been playing the violin since 4th grade, and I'm now in my fourth year of college.

I love performing in an orchestra, and in the second violin section. I don't get as nervous when I'm performing in a group than I do if I'm performing a solo. My senior year in high school, I had a solo, and throughout the entire thing, I could feel my legs shaking.

It's a different story when I'm playing the piano because it is primarily a solo instrument, and I'm a much better pianist than a violinist. I've only played piano in public a few times contrasted with 12 years worth of school concerts.
Old Nov 1 2008, 12:12 AM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I just think its wonderful to be a part, of such a beautiful sound

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2 2008, 01:27 AM   #11
Brenda

I play viola at my university! We just had our fall concert - Beethoven's 5th, and Mozart's Concertante for Violin and Viola - and the guest soloists were the principal violinist and principal violist from the St. Louis Symphony!

We just started working on Peter and the Wolf for our winter concert!!!

I'll have to see if I can watch that video later! (This computer won't let me.)

Oh, and I agree about the high positions being a pain - but try doing that when you're also suddenly reading in a different clef! I started on violin, so I can read treble clef, but not when I've been reading alto clef for the whole piece so far!!!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3 2008, 04:12 PM   #12
r2005
Crafter
Student

I need to go and put a note in my first post because for some reason, he took the video down and it isn't there anymore.

I found out that it had happened a couple of days ago, but I've just been busy with all my school stuff, and I neglected to mention it sooner.

Ooh, Beethoven's 5th, we played that my first semester in school. That was a really fun piece to play.