A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old May 22 2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Old family photos

I immensely enjoyed the old family pictures Farclas put up in the portrait thread (in thematic) and since I enjoy looking at them so much I thought I might start a thread with them.

Here's my first set:

A pretty special photo because photos taken "in the field" and not in a studio this old are rare. The man on the right is my paternal grandfather. He was born in 1874 and I think this photo is over 110 years old and made about 1897. My father's family have been carpenters for at least two centuries and the three men in the picture are three brothers.

And here is my mother and her brother as little kids. Mum (born 1921) is sitting on the lap of her maternal grandfather (born 1864) and yes, he was a sailor, barge captain and tugboat captain.

This is one of my great-grandmothers, my father's paternal grandmother, born 1847, died 1933. A formidable (business) lady who, as you can see, still wore a form of Dutch traditional clothing.

One of my favourite family photographs is this one of a great-great-great uncle standing near a rusted old first World War tank. He and his brother went to the old battlefields during the interbellum to see for themselves where the detested war had taken place (The Netherlands were neutral during this war). The photo dates 18 July 1922.

This last portrait concerns another great-grandfather, my father's maternal grandfather, born 1846. He later became a shipmaker (carpenter) but as a young man he joined the merchant navy and sailed to the East Indies. I have copies of letters from that time in the family archive. He started the trip in 1864 and had this picture made to commemorate his going to sea.

I'd love to see some of your old family pictures, if you have them.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 11:33 AM   #2
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Re: Old family photos

I need to go through my cds...most of them are on there, although I think the earliest I have is from the late 1890s. I know I have one of my grandfather and his mother from 1912.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 03:51 PM   #3
kc

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various

Hans

What a wonderful legacy.

As a family historian I would give my right arm to have some photos like these.

I have photos, and will claim any going "spare" in the family but unfortunately do not always know who is on them

Kath
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans...since I have created several portraits of you, since we became friends....and I would say that you have a great deal in common, in your face [at least], with your Great-Grandfather, in the last photo you shared with us. I love old photos, mine or others. Unfortunately I have only a few precious old photos of my family...but I sure love having them.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 06:09 PM   #5
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

We aren't 100% sure about this one. My cousin found a box of old photos when cleaning his mother's house. But we THINK it was taken in 1916. The woman in the back is almost definately my Great-great grandmother. The woman seated and wearing black may be my great-great grandmother Coulthard, since the young woman, we think, is my great-grandmother and the babe my grandmother.

CHANGES! Since I have now been in contact with my grandmother's cousin, we know who these people are! Seated in the black dress is Mary Byron Barrett Carbury, my great-great-great-grandmother. Standing at the back is Johanna Barrett Kelleher, my great-great-grandmother. The redhead is Catherine Rosar Kelleher, wife of William and daughter-in-law of Johanna. The baby is William Jr. Thomas, Will's youngest brother, has this photo at home.

Last edited by AnnMarie; Feb 3 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old May 24 2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

You have a young grandmother then, AnnMarie. My mother was born in 1921! You grannie must be born in about 1915/1915?

Are you so much younger than me?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 24 2010, 12:19 PM   #7
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Hans, Gram was born the Fourth of July, 1915. She's a year or two old in this picture. Gramp was born in 1912. Gram was the oldest of 9? Her youngest sister is only a year older than her own first botn. I was born on Pearl Harbor Day, 1964. Younger than you, older than a few around here!
Old May 24 2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Ha, fourth of Juy, an auspicious day

Sometimes, there can be funny shifts in age of ancestors, like with me, my father being the youngest of 6 by far, me a (lucky!) accident (six years younger tham my brother). Combine that with the fact that y mum's was eldest in her family and you get a paternal frandfather (MY gramps) who was born 1874 and that's a person just two full generation from me.
Technically my mother's father, born 1898, could very well have been the son of my other grandfather, as ages go.

I, the youngest in my family by far, in my turn married the oldest from a family and we had our son relatively late, after 10 years of marriage

Old May 24 2010, 08:42 PM   #9
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Hans, Gram was born the Fourth of July, 1915. She's a year or two old in this picture. Gramp was born in 1912. Gram was the oldest of 9? Her youngest sister is only a year older than her own first botn. I was born on Pearl Harbor Day, 1964. Younger than you, older than a few around here!
1964? I have SOCKS that are nearly that old! My mom was born in 1924, her father in 1900.
Old May 25 2010, 04:03 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
1964? I have SOCKS that are nearly that old! My mom was born in 1924, her father in 1900.
Socks that old? Wow. Knitted with tin or copper wire by chance?

Old May 25 2010, 03:13 PM   #11
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

My maternal grandmother was 34 when my Mum was born. My paternal grandmother when my Dad was born. Both are the oldest of three and were born withinthree weeks of each other

The photos are interesting Hans.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2010, 06:03 PM   #12
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

My dad married twice and didn't become a grandfather until he was in his late 60's. My mum (his 2nd wife) was much younger then he was but they both loved each other and were married for over 25 years before dad died nearly 10 years ago. I didn't know his parents as my paternal grandfather died when dad was 5 years old and my paternal grandmother died before I was born. Maternal grandparents divorced and whilst I knew my maternal grandmother, my maternal grandfather stayed in England and died when I was a teenager. Myself and my siblings never really met him or knew him as such. He must have been in the bad books for that to happen. My mum never really talks about it except for once when she said that he was one of those men who was an abusive husband (and I suppose in some respects, father) so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one to let the grandkids not know that part of their family history. Now as a result, my maternal grandmother is going through something akin to senile dementia so probably never know what happened in the early years.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2010, 09:56 PM   #13
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Socks that old? Wow. Knitted with tin or copper wire by chance?
Nope! I have a pair of socks that I wore in high school..... I graduated in 1965.

BTW, I said I have them, not that I wear them. I keep them around just so I can tease youngsters by saying "I have SOCKS older than you!"
Old May 26 2010, 03:53 PM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Well, some of you enjoy them...

This is my maternal grandmother (born 1900, died 1926, yes you read the year right). My mother was 5 years old when her mother died and she subsequently ended up with one of those evil stepmothers right out of a fairy tale... I think this foto was made in the year of her marriage, 1920. It is originally a black & white photo but, as was the fashion in those days, it is hand coloured.

This is a family photo of my wife's, her paternal great-grandfather, seated left. Her grandfather is the youngster on the extreme left. The inset is a brother of her grandfather, who emigrated to the USA, and his wife. If anybody can find his son (John Vanharen), please let me know, there is still part of an inheritance waiting for him

More family of my wife. A great grandmother on her mother's side from the Zeeland province (after which New Zealand is named, the province, not the great-grandmother). This was traditional Zealand garb until well into the 20th century! The cap was white lace, the metal headgear (rear view mirrors) silver or gold, depending on family wealth. A necklace of bloodred coral and gold always accompanied garb like this.

My paternal grandfather and grandmother. The guy on the left (don't I look like him?) is the same man as the oldest carpenter in the very first photo I posted. Born 1874, died 1920). His wife on the right was born 1876 and died as a widow of 40 years, in 1960. Since her husband's death she always dressed in black. These pictures were probably taken for their engagement in 1903.

This is my great-grandfather Van der Boom (the husband of the formidable business lady with the white "cap" in the first series). He was born 1842 and died 1914. I'm guessing the picture dates from the end of the 19th century. Nice little beard eh?

Last a younger photo. My siblings, brother and three sisters. Taken in 1953.

Last edited by Hans; May 27 2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old May 26 2010, 11:11 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans...I love getting to see this last photo again...as well as getting to see other interesting photos of family members from past generations.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 27 2010, 04:08 AM   #16
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

This couple were two of my great-great-grandparents. He (William Fish) was a master boot maker born 1825, died 1908. He was also a Methodist lay preacher. One of his brothers was headmaster of the first reform school and one of his nephews was the first housemaster at Geelong Grammar School. Except that she she died in 1906, I know very little about his wife. Oh, she was the daughter of the the man who employed him when he first moved to London from Suffolk.

These were my maternal grandparents, with his mother, at their engagement do. Edward Bompas (1875 - 1950) was a Baptist minister. Cecily Mary Fraser (1885 - 1970) I think trained as a secretary. These are their children.

On the left my Aunt Margaret (eventually a senior classics mistress); Uncle Stanley (eventually a doctor with an impressive war record and G.P. at Cunderdin (W. Australia)). Next Uncle Donald still alive (just) who landed up as Auditor General to the Federation of Malaysia; and my mother (Gwen) who landed up as headmistress of her own school.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 08:16 AM   #17
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

This is an interesting thread to peruse! I don't have many old photos, but I think I have a couple from what was lent to me to put together collages of my grandparents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Last a younger photo. My siblings, brother and three sisters. Taken in 1953.
Hans, I love this one, in part for the white bows in your sisters' hair. I know there is a family photo of my Grandma as a little girl along with her siblings and all the other family in the area and the girls all have the same big white bows on their head. It must be a long-lived fashion as mine was taken around 1910-1915 I think.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 09:37 AM   #18
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Well, I don't seem to have a copy of the one I was thinking of with the bow, but I do have a different one with a ridiculously large white bow in my Great Aunt Olive's hair.

My grandma and her siblings; she the youngest girl, circa 1913

My grandpa with his mother, circa 1917

Grandma and Grandpa on their honeymoon, 1938

Grandpa reading to my Aunt Merry, 1943

Grandma with Aunt Merry and my mom (the blonde)

My grandparents with their first 3 grandchildren (I'm the baby)

Grandma reading to me
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 01:34 PM   #19
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

This thread is a blast!

I could swear I have more photos scanned from both sides of my family, but I guess I shall have to go digging. For now....

My Maternal grandfather in his teens

Same man in his 20s...don't know quite what look he was going for

This one isn't nearly as old, being my Parents wedding in October of 1962. Dad was technically AWOL...which was okay, since his CO was right there with him! They are flanked by my paternal grandparents.
Old May 27 2010, 10:28 PM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh Cheryl, you were such an adorable little girl. You also look a great deal like the little girl in the center of your first old photo.
I agree...this is a very, very interesting thread!!!

AnnMarie What a handsome and dashing young man your Grandfather was.

Old May 27 2010, 10:48 PM   #21
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

He sure doesn't look like a coal miner, does he, Maelin?
Old May 28 2010, 09:07 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

AnnMarie...well he might have been stepping out for a night on the town, when that photo was taken....but NOOOOOOOOooo he doesn't look anything like a coal miner!!!!

Old May 28 2010, 10:35 PM   #23
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

You look like your grandmother, Cheryl.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 06:54 PM   #24
blondmom989
Linyaari

Oh I'm really enjoying looking at all of these and reading about the genealogical relationships. Here's my contributions.

Matilda Mix Fleming (1811-1897) and Freegift Richard Fleming (1803-1892) My great great great grandparents, which makes them Pams 4 greats grandparents. Ancestors of my father.

Fleming1 by blondmom989, on Flickr

Then some of my mother's ancestors. My great great grandparents. Patrick Nolan (1825-1903) and his wife Margaret Mary Concannon (1830-1920) both from Ireland, settled in Tennessee.

RWNMB15 by blondmom989, on Flickr

RWNMB16 by blondmom989, on Flickr

I love the outfits on the next photo. Another great great grandfather Robert Carruthers Brien (1851-1933). He was the stable manager at Belle Meade Mansion in Nashville, TN. The young lady is his sister Alice who married the mayor of Nashville.

RCBsis3 by blondmom989, on Flickr
Quick somebody make me stop!!!! I could get carried away.

Last edited by blondmom989; Mar 7 2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: wrong picture
blondmom989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 05:42 AM   #25
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh do please carry on. If you do, I will too!

I love all this, but that's a given as an amateur historian and professional genealogist.

AnnMarie, your maternal gramps pictures bring memories of Jack Kerouac and James Dean. I especially love the first photo.

BlondMom, the Fleming picture is marvelous, a real gem. Totally posed of course, but real special. Wish I had pictures of so many generations back. I do have a lot and old ones, too, but in generations you are well ahead of me!

And most of Cheryl's photographs I had seen before but I very much enjoyed these. More now, after the birth of the twins and looking and finding family likenessess

*in best Bugs Bunny voice imitation:" Keep 'em coming folks!

Old Jun 5 2010, 01:33 AM   #26
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

Somewhere, I know I have a whole bunch of old photos of my father's side of the family, but nothing that's scanned, nor can I remember who everyone is in those pictures.

I did remember that awhile ago, we took my laptop and printer to my maternal grandfather's house and did tons of scanning. There are quite a few photos in the stuff we scanned, but I don't know who everyone is. I'll have to get my mother to tell me who everyone is at some point because she's the one who didn't label the files after she scanned them.

My grandfather somewhere between the ages of 4 and 5. I have no clue when this picture was taken in relation to his birthday.

This is my grandfather and his siblings. My grandfather is the baby. The younger of the two girls just had her 80th birthday this past December. I never met two of my grandfather's siblings because they both died before I was born, the elder of the girls and one of the brothers. Now, only three siblings remain because one of the other brothers died nearly two years ago now, I'd point them out, but I can't tell my grandfather's brothers apart at young ages, and I forget which order they go in.

This is my maternal grandmother's high school graduation photo. She was taken from us way too soon because of cancer, the summer after I finished 3rd grade.

This last one is my mother and her two older brothers. My mother is in the middle, and the elder of her two brothers is on the right side of the photo. The piano was later moved into a different room because by the time I was born, they had a wood stove put in where the piano is in the picture. Now, the piano is at my house and quite often I'll play to my heart's content.
Old Jun 5 2010, 02:21 AM   #27
Hans
Master Archivist

Great photo's! I especially love the first one, with the milk bottles sitting on the step and the dog sitting quietly in a corner.
Your grandmother was a beautiful lady, R. How awful you were cheated out of having great times with her
And the last picture... Isn't it great to have something substantial like furniture or a piano that has been in the family for quite a while and shows up in other pictures of other places? I find that exciting and moving. I have got a wanut closet with glass doors that has been in the family for over a hundred years, having actually been a wedding gift for a family member who marrie in 1898! Some antiques expert, who visited in December 2008 (after a burglary) was thrilled to see the doors still had the original glass

Old Jun 5 2010, 07:19 AM   #28
Lily

I'm enjoying these pics too - and isnt it important to have as much detail about them as you can while the people are still with us. So many of us don't, and regret it later.
Old Jun 11 2010, 05:05 PM   #29
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

That is SO true, Lily My Mother is the family "memory" for us, and although she has told me lots I have difficulty remembering so I lazily just keep telling her: WRITE IT DOWN

PS: *ties knot in hanky to remind me to nag her again next time I visit *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
I'm enjoying these pics too - and isnt it important to have as much detail about them as you can while the people are still with us. So many of us don't, and regret it later.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5 2010, 01:35 AM   #30
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

I just found out recently that my grandfather's brother who passed away before I was born was lost at sea. Tragically, his body was never found, and not too long after his mother also died. I don't remember how my mother got on the subject, but it's a part of my family history since several people on my mother's side of the family work on boats as lobstermen and fishermen.
Old Aug 7 2010, 08:12 AM   #31
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Now I really DO have to join Photobucket! And I love the honeymoon photo.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22 2010, 04:30 AM   #32
Hans
Master Archivist

Hmm, came across this and enjoyed rereading it. And what's more, gonna revive it

I'll start with a "recent" picture of my wife with her mother, taken in 1958. I fooled around with this B&W pic to make it a little more interesting

The next one is a photo of my father playing bass. My father was a man who should have been a professional musician but who never got over the fear of taking the step into an unknown future with a wife and kids from a secure life with a steady job. This photo dates from right after World War II when he was very busy playing in all sorts of bands, celebrating our liberation.

And here's a portrait of my dad Eef (pronounce: Aif) (1919-1995). He had a shock of jet black hair but was totally grey by the time he was 40 years old!

And here is my mother Jane. A posed photograph, probably for her engagement early during World War II. She and my dad married in 1943.

The next one is of my mother's father. I am named after my maternal grandfather, who was a hairdresser. He and his wife had a hairdressign salon in the Hook of Holland.

The following two are my maternal great-grandparents Louis Bernardus Knipscheer (1859-1952) and Maria Antonia Magdalena Webber (1861-1938). He was also a hairdresser but started to be an undertaker when my grandfather took over the shop.

The last one for now is my maternal great-great-grandfather Herman Knipscheer (1825-1917)

Old Oct 23 2010, 03:56 PM   #33
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

I KNEW I had a few more. And I know I have more than these, I just still have to find them.

My dad, probably in 1961

My great-grandmother, Johanna Barrett Kelleher.

James Joseph Kelleher, my great-great grandfather (Johanna's hubby)
Old Nov 27 2010, 01:50 AM   #34
maria22hzn
Muskie

Fan of: Acorna the Unicorn Girl
Now Reading: Acorna the Unicorn Girl

1 of the great post ever
maria22hzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2010, 12:35 PM   #35
blondmom989
Linyaari

Hans, Herman is adorable. I love the expression on his face.
blondmom989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2010, 03:09 AM   #36
Hans
Master Archivist

You mean the "naughty and no teeth look"

Old Oct 6 2012, 10:40 PM   #37
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Yes, I am resurrecting this one. My cousin has been sharing some pictures his mother (my great-aunt) was hoarding.

My Great Grandfather. He served in France in WWI.

My great-great uncle who also served in WWI. I believe he was also in France for a few months.
Old Oct 7 2012, 06:21 PM   #38
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Thanks for sharing! It has been fun looking at the old photos

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9 2012, 10:24 AM   #39
Hans
Master Archivist

Great photos AnnMarie and more than worthy enough to resurrect the thread!

Old Oct 9 2012, 06:39 PM   #40
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Now if I could just figure out what the medals are/were. I have no idea who has them. Uncle Michael never married... he came home from the war severely wounded, and died a month or two later.