A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Sep 9 2010, 02:23 PM   #1
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Anyone know Boston Mass.?

Anyway, I have a meeting near Boston Mass. and I'm considering extending my trip for a day or two as otherwise I'll be flying across the Atlantic for all of three days.

I was wondering if anyone knew the area and could give me some tips.

Thanks
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2010, 02:29 PM   #2
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Anyone know Boston Mass.?

It sound like fun. I have never been that far north.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

We live about an hour and a half by train from there. We've visited a few times, staying in a hotel and taking a shuttle bus to get around the city. You really don't want to drive there, it's crazy! Let's see. Been a few years. The Boston Science Museum is nice, also the Aquarium. Don't miss all the shops and dining places in an area called Quincy Market. There's a really large geology museum (think it might be at Harvard) that we spent hours in - yup, we love rocks. If I think of anything else I'll add it in.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

For the love of God, don't drive. The roads are a disaster area (hideously confusing to locals, never mind tourists) and there is a very good reason they call them "Massholes" behind the wheel.

If you do not mind riding the bus (it IS somewhat convoluted), getting a cab, or *gulp* driving in a less-than-picturesque neighborhood, Franklin Park Zoo is well worth a visit (and that part of Dorchester's not nearly as bad as some people would lead you to believe.)

Little Historic House Type Place: Otis House Museum on Cambridge Street (up from the Charles/Mass General red line stop.) Small but gorgeous antiques. You can also walk up the hill into the prototypical Boston neighborhood, Beacon Hill, and see the State House, and it's just up that hill to Boston Common and the Public Gardens. Big, pretty, don't walk alone on the Commons part at night (be sensible.)

Free and Fun (though, again, kind of a pain at times to get to--it IS walkable from North Station if you have a map and don't mind long walks) is USS Constitution, in the Charlestown Navy Yard. The Museum and one of the museum ships are run by the Park Service and free, USS Constitution is technically still a naval ship of the line despite being a masted tall ship and is also free to visit. They're all part of the same complex. NICE area down on the water.

I recommend walking around and having dinner/lunch/coffee and gelato or pastry in the North End/Little Italy. AWESOME Italian food. Very cute neighborhood. DO NOT DRIVE THERE. DON'T. I had a client decide he really didn't want to see an apartment there after we circled the area for FORTY-FIVE MINUTES trying to find on-street parking. There is also Old North Church, the Paul Revere House, and the start/end/however you want to view it of the Freedom Trail.

Unpopular opinion but I HATE CAMBRIDGE. If I could work my will I'd bulldoze the whole place and reset the streets so they make some modicrum of sense. Harvard Yard is not worth the massive hassle invovled in driving there. (Also, if you find yourself craving Indian food, don't eat at the little place on Hampshire by the S&S and kitty-corner from Ryles Jazz Club. I got food poisoned by their lamb curry.)

If you do have access to a car or don't mind using the commuter rail, and want the "ye olde picturesque New England Town" experience, go to Concord. BEAUTIFUL, especially in the fall. The museum's okay, the North Bridge is worth a look and is out in the countryside, or what passes for it in Mass.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2010, 04:48 PM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I don't know Boston Mass, but I do know Brahm's German Mass and Mozart's Kleine Orgel Mass

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2010, 05:03 PM   #6
TwoSheds
Darbul

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: The entire Sherlock Holmes collection

It's been fifteen years since I visited (or should I say passed through, didn't stay more than one night in the city), but we drove down to the Hyannis Port area of Cape Cod and stayed in a motel for a few days. From there you can then drive to Provincetown and spend a day on a whale watching trip.
TwoSheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Lily

Big Grin Re: Anyone know Boston Mass.?

Edith, I get the impression you should not hire a car!

I suspect you'll want to stay even longer. That area of USA is high on my list of places I'd love to visit

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and I look forward to seeing your posts - when are you going?
Old Sep 9 2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I don't know Boston Mass, but I do know Brahm's German Mass and Mozart's Kleine Orgel Mass
Then there's Mass in F Minor by The Electric Prunes
Old Sep 9 2010, 09:14 PM   #9
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Then there's Mass in F Minor by The Electric Prunes
*chortles* well there are a few prunes that show up here sometimes *ducks and runs*

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2010, 10:34 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Edith...I'm with Lily...don't hire a car...but do have a great time. I hear there are some very interesting places (museums, art galleries and tons of shoping) to visit there.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10 2010, 04:08 AM   #11
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

There's also Darke in F (known to choirboys as F'in Darke) and Morris' Mass in A Minor (known as Mass in a Morris Minor)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10 2010, 07:36 AM   #12
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

No, do not hire a car.

The USS Constitution
Quincey Market
The Aquarium
The Duck Tour.... if you're lucky, you'll get one of the WWII ducks, and the drivers give a great run-down on history.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10 2010, 02:46 PM   #13
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

I have an aunt who lives in that area, and I definitely agree with the do not drive in Boston if you can avoid it.

One of my favorite places is the Museum of Science. I've gone there more than once.

I don't know if you have any real interest in sports, but there are guided tours of Fenway Park. I went with my family several years ago, and it was a very interesting experience. We got to walk along the dirt of the field, and have our picture taken in front of the Green Monster and in the dugout.
Old Sep 10 2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
No, do not hire a car.

The USS Constitution
Quincey Market
The Aquarium
The Duck Tour.... if you're lucky, you'll get one of the WWII ducks, and the drivers give a great run-down on history.
Speaking of the ducks: I have personal experience with these vehicles. They have tours by duck in Branson, Mo. and my wife and I have taken one. I would vote against a genuine WW II duck. They're terribly underpowered and hard to operate. The modified, updated ones are much more reliable and safer. But a tour in one is fun. Unfortunately, we didn't spend a lot of time on the water. The tour is mostly land travel in Branson.
Old Sep 10 2010, 05:20 PM   #15
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Speaking of the ducks: I have personal experience with these vehicles. They have tours by duck in Branson, Mo. and my wife and I have taken one. I would vote against a genuine WW II duck. They're terribly underpowered and hard to operate. The modified, updated ones are much more reliable and safer. But a tour in one is fun. Unfortunately, we didn't spend a lot of time on the water. The tour is mostly land travel in Branson.
Must be depending on who's taking care of them, Draco. Ours was a WWII beauty, and she was very easy to handle... he even let the kids take turns on the river!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10 2010, 10:01 PM   #16
Allen

The ones they use in Branson are WWII vintage, with modern big-block Chevy motors, automatic transmissions, and all the rest of the amenities. Yours was a small 6-cylinder engine, manual transmission, no power steering, and so on. On the water the handling would be about the same with either, since you're steering with a rudder and not the front wheels contacting a hard surface. They have an original drive train on display, and part of the tour shows you a variety of WWII and Korean War vehicles, including some ducks.

I know where there might be one for sale. He used to have one, anyway. He has other BIG military vehicles, but no tanks.