A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Talent: Pegasus, Tower & Hive, and Barque Cats

Old Jun 16 2008, 11:00 PM   #1
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

So, I'm re-reading the book, and I have to say, I'm grinning with glee pretty much every other word. And there might possibly be squeeing involved. Shhhh. Don't tell.

I also noted though...this story has some awfully subtle corners, where it's really hard to decipher exactly what AMC is saying.

Quote:
Afra nodded solemnly. "He's resting now, in the hospital." He looked down at her. "I will teach you control."
(Page 209, Ace Paperback, right after Damia burns Amr out.)

...so, what does that mean? Book never says, although Gollee later on tells her to go ask Afra nicely to teach her control, and Damia is all like, "NEVAHR!!!!".

For the record, I also absolutely love Gollee chewing her out for using Afra. lovelovelove.

Quote:
"Just what do you think you're doing anyway?"

"What do you mean?"

Gren swore. "After all he's done for you. He's covered up for your 'tricks', he's watched over for you, lied, and you--you're not even worth your name!"

"Who?" Damia cried in confusion.

"Who?" Gren snorted. "Trust you not to know! Don't you think? Don't you see?" He shook his head in a vain attempt to throw off his anger. It did not work. He let out a deep breath. "I got the pictures back from the medics." He nodded to empathize his point. "He said that one of the Coonies had bit him, but I know those marks. Even when you try to bite his hand off he protects you!"
(Page 210, same book)

How much do I love Gollee Gren for that? Almost as much as Afra!

I am also suddenly reminded that Gollee and Afra must be close. I might have to write a ficlet. "Holy cr@p, you need stitches, Afra! What happened?" "I turned her down." "And she bit you for that?!" ::rolls up his sleeves and 'ports to Callisto, because Damia needs a spanking.::

<3

Okay, sorry, squeeing again. I'd love to see some actors doing that scene, though--lots of (angry) energy, flailing of arms, Damia giving Gren the Look Of Absolute Hatred that all teens master at one point or another. Afra, probably off somewhere with his hand bandaged up, nursing something alcoholic, with a Coonie in his lap.

Here's another one...throughout the book, the Hivers are referred to as Beetles by Damia. Maybe she's not a fan of classic rock? ::joke flops horribly to the floor and lays there like roadkill::
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2008, 12:23 AM   #2
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts
Default Re: Damia! (the book)

You mean she wasn't talking about the insects?
Honestly, love that book, but more when Damia's still a child.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2008, 02:52 PM   #3
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Re: Damia! (the book)

I like all the different parts, depending on my mood.

Here's another one I noted...page 6, I think - Afra mentions "sisters", excluding Goswina, which means he has at least 3 sisters including her, and one brother, Chostel.

I knew he had more than one sister!
Old Jun 17 2008, 08:10 PM   #4
proserpine
Soul-Eaters

Fan of: Moreta

I think he's got more than one brother too. My favorite part of the book is the first half or so, when Afra is still young and inexperienced, and when Damia is still on Callisto. I could take or leave the lovey-dovey crap toward the end
proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2008, 02:37 PM   #5
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

I don't recall any mention of more than the one brother, but if I see it I'll bring it up.

This morning I noticed they have some sort of anti-grav elevator in Blundell; it's what Afra and Gollee take when Afra meets Reidinger IV the first time. It seems to go sideways, too, in a 'current'. We could add this to our technology discussion. Robots are also mentioned, as possible minders for Damia, so their AI/robotic tech is pretty advanced if they have something that could mind a child.

Also, fractals are a popular hobby/decorating scheme.

Afra wears a tunic, too, at one (edit: two!) point(s)!

Hivers are referred to as Beetles, by everyone, not just Damia.

They use wires still for networking computers in Callisto when Brian and Afra rip everything apart to install their epsilon system. I wonder if the increase in efficiency of Callisto under Jeff was due to Jeff, or due to Afra and Brian's system.

Also, during the second Hiver attack, there was a telepath at the com that relayed, vocally over the Callisto com network, what Jeff, Rowan, etc. were saying so the whole Tower could hear.

Little details make me gleeful.

Last edited by D. M. Domini; Jun 19 2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old Jun 18 2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

I believe "teach her control" means teaching Damia to keep her shields up and Talent contained in times of intense emotion or physical strain. But that's just my reasoning.
Old Jun 18 2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Sounds good to me, MF. Not sure what other kind of control it could be anyway...

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
afra, damia