A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 24 2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Extraho
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Eragon/Eldest
Default Dragonsong :(

Hey, I just started reading dragonsong, but im sorry to say that I am disappointed with it so far, I never cared much about the business of harpers, but so far this book has been nothing but the life of Menolly, a young harper... I just wanted to know whether or not there are dragons/threadfall later on in the book.

(BTW this is M'ton (i left a message on the welcome thread explaining why i have reset my account)
Extraho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2007, 06:59 PM   #2
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales
Default Re: Dragonsong :(

well it is basically the harper hall triolgy so that gives a hint, but yes it does have some dragons in because they are on pern and dragons are pretty important..
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

If you don't like Harpers, give this one, Dragonsinger, and especially Dragondrums a miss. (I sympathize--definitely not the part I'm interested in, either.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2007, 07:03 PM   #4
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Out of the 3 Harper Hall trilogy books Dragonsong probably has the most dragony stuff, but Menolly is a harper, not a dragonrider. If you're reading it for the dragons, you'll probably stay disappointed.

I love the Harpers myself, though. Anything that has Robinton in it
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Extraho
Inactive

thanks in that case i may jump to the white dragon.... or the one before that....cant remember...... brain death :P
Old Aug 24 2007, 07:06 PM   #6
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

well, i'd persever if i were you, it will at least give you some background to the harpers you meet in other books
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Extraho
Inactive

hmm, yea maybe, dragonsong is a very short book so i may read it through.
Old Aug 24 2007, 08:49 PM   #8
gadhelic
Inactive

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: james clemens Wit'ch gate

well I wouldn't recom
mend missing any of the books as they all intertwine and by skipping it is like missing a chapter in the overall series. You might pick the story up but for a couple of chapters you'll wonder what on earth (or pern) is going on
gadhelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2007, 11:59 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I would whole heartedly recomend that you keep reading *Dragonsong*...as Menolly is truely a very interesting peronality who inner acts with most of the major characters in the next couple of books...and on into *White Dragon*. I have always loved the books of the *Harper Hall Trilogy*and enjoy then each and every wonderful time I've read them.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2007, 12:16 AM   #10
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

I agree that you should give them more of a chance. When I read the Pern books for the first time, I started with DF, DQ, and the White Dragon because we have a book that contains all three of them. Anyway, when I first read the White Dragon, I wondered if Menolly had just appeared out of thin air.
I understood everything much more after I read the Harper Hall novels which we also have in a book which has the three books in one.

Now, the Harper Hall novels are some of my favorite books in the series. Mostly because I can picture myself in the Harper Hall because I can play a couple of instruments. There are several other reasons too, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
Old Aug 25 2007, 12:21 AM   #11
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Menolly is one of the important characters of modern day Pern. After all, it's she that wises up about Jaxom and Ruth Timing it but also doesn't spread it around as gossip. She has a good head on her shoulders and helps to keep Pern going. After all, she had Robinton as a very good teacher and even though there's not much in the way of dragons, trust me when I say that reading the other books, only a fraction of them talk about things other then dragons. We need to know what Pernese society is about and it isn't just dragons and their riders but also everything else too, whether it be Harperhall, Smithcraft, Healerhall etc.. Look at our own society, we have a mixture and there's lots of stories in that.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2007, 01:47 PM   #12
Brenda

Plus, if you keep reading Dragonsong, you WILL get up close and personal with Thread...

Seriously, it's worth a read. DSo and DSi are set parallel to DQ, so some events take place in both from alternate POVs, which is interesting. DSo gives an in-depth look at one type of Hold life; DSi gives an in-depth look at life in a crafthall; and DD gives an in-depth look at undercover Harpering.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2007, 05:05 PM   #13
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I have to say that I zoomed through Dsong and Dsinger the other week then opened the white dragon.

I can't stand Jaxom!

seriously, they're different but enjoyable. Menolly is a bit meek and mild buut she grows up very quickly!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2007, 05:14 PM   #14
Extraho
Inactive

aww why dont you liek jaxom? I think he is a nice lil rebel, a bit obnoxious to be sure but he is very likable, well......he is in my eyes.
Old Aug 25 2007, 08:10 PM   #15
Sandi

I like Jaxom, too. He grows up privileged but he was never allowed to forget the ambiguities of his position, particularly after he impressed Ruth. He alternates between being rebellious and trying too hard to please everyone which, all things considered, seems pretty likely to me. Some people think he's a wimp because he was so terrified by the thought of how close he came to death but I think that was natural, too. He knew that if he died Ruth would die too and he couldn't stand the thought of his own bad judgment putting his dragon's life in danger.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2007, 08:21 PM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Here again I loved the White Dragon...and Jaxom was a true hero on Pern in my opinion. With being able to read about him all through his growing years, it gives him a much more personal feel to the readers. We really get the chance to KNOW him much better than any of the other characters. Through him we can imagine a whole/complete life on Pern with all the different ages he goes through. Along with the wonderous, dangerous times and with all the fantastic people that shape Pern's destiny.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2007, 11:00 PM   #17
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I also like Jaxom. I think no matter who you are to a certain degree there comes a time when you are confused about who you are. Teens are a good example they are not children but not yet adult. They want parent approval but they still want things their own way. I think Jaxom confussion was because of who & what he was. Lord holder but not. Dragon rider but not realy. I can see whare he is comeing from.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26 2007, 05:45 AM   #18
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

I'm not too keen on Jaxom, mainly because he's the ultimate Gary Stu character. He can break all the rules and get away with being both a dragonrider and a Lord Holder. I do like Ruth though. However, sometimes I wish Jaxom had impressed a fighting dragon, i. e. a brown or bronze, maybe even a blue, so that he'd've been forced to give up the Lord Holdership. That way, assuming Felessan had yet to Impress, Lessa would've been forced to send her son, as the surviving member of the Ruathan bloodline, to hold in Ruatha.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26 2007, 07:00 AM   #19
Joz
Eskay

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

But..but...Dsong, Dsinger and Ddrums are full of firelizards! Harpers and firelizards! And Dsinger is one of my very favourite books.

Seriously though, if you don't read them you wont understand some of what goes on in The White Dragon.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26 2007, 09:51 PM   #20
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Jaxom's a prat. See granath's post for why. Though I'm not a huge fan of the white Deus ex machina, either.

And honestly? If you never, ever, read Renegades of Pern or Dragondrums all that would happen is you wouldn't want those hours of your life back. Especially Renegades. Just read the short "The Girl Who Heard Dragons" and pretend Aramina's story ends there.
Old Aug 26 2007, 10:06 PM   #21
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I agree with Anareth on Renegades. I have only read it once & will not read it again. It is my least fav. book. It was one of the few books that survived the fire we had a couple of years ago. None of my favs. did. Just my luck my least fav. suvivies.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Aug 27 2007, 12:28 PM   #22
Brenda

Renegades isn't my favorite, but parts of it are. I especially like seeing what Piemur was up to in the Southern Continent, and his discovery of Jayge and Aramina. And his reaction to hearing about Robinton's heart attack!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2007, 03:41 PM   #23
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Renegades is only good for skimming through and reading farovite parts.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2007, 04:15 PM   #24
Extraho
Inactive

OH NO!, Robinton has a heart attack........

BTW, I just got to the part in dragonsong when menolly helps a fire lizard queen move her eggs.... aww, so sweet :P
Old Aug 27 2007, 04:58 PM   #25
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraho View Post
aww why dont you liek jaxom? I think he is a nice lil rebel, a bit obnoxious to be sure but he is very likable, well......he is in my eyes.

because he is obnoxious!

I find the White Dragon Jaxom extremely unpleasant! Even more so because most of the characters don't seem to notice!

He's alright later on- I think Sharra's a good influence, but the teenage Jaxom- I just get itchy fingers!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2007, 05:32 PM   #26
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
because he is obnoxious!

I find the White Dragon Jaxom extremely unpleasant! Even more so because most of the characters don't seem to notice!

He's alright later on- I think Sharra's a good influence, but the teenage Jaxom- I just get itchy fingers!
-Absolutely- Agrees. >.<
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2007, 05:39 AM   #27
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

How many teenager are not at times very obnoxious? I kmow that since Kibbie turned 12 she has been the most obnoxios know it all you would ever want to meet. Most of the teens I know are that way, until they enter the REAL world & find out they are only very little fish in a HUGE ocean.

I do appoligize to the teens on this most site. I do mean most teens but not all.

Old Aug 28 2007, 10:38 AM   #28
Extraho
Inactive

its ok, us teen realise this (most of us ), its cool, being annoying isnt something we do consciously
Old Aug 28 2007, 10:41 PM   #29
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I just wish Kibbie had waited until she was a teen to start with the obnoxious.
But no she had to start the DAY she turned 12. Maybe that means she'll grow out of it sooner. (Asks hopefully & pleadingly)

Old Aug 28 2007, 11:03 PM   #30
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Maw--that would be logical. However, when was the last time teens were logical?
Old Aug 28 2007, 11:07 PM   #31
Sandi

I don't think you need to worry too much about Kibbe, Maw. It seems to me that your lines of communication are very open and that's the most important part of getting through the teen times.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote