A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Oct 18 2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Pixel Dragons (Spyro)

A few days back I was browsing a Spyro RP page, and I got annoyed at the fact that I didn't have any pictures to represent my characters with. In the end, I decided to remedy this by making pixel versions of the characters in the Legend Of Spyro games; ones that could be edited by anybody to make new characters. And here it is!

Pixel Spyro Characters
There's more information on my DeviantArt page - check it out there.

By the way, would you believe that despite me being a fan of it, I've never actually played one of the Spyro games? I got into it one day while browsing DeviantArt and discovering the fandom. I soon plan to remedy this problem of never having played a game (suppose technically I have seen ONE being played by a friend years ago); just need to get the proper game console...already found some of the games at a second-hand store...

Last edited by Almaron; Oct 20 2011 at 05:30 AM.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2011, 05:25 AM   #2
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Default Re: Pixel Dragons (Spyro)

And here's a follow-up!

DeviantArt Page

The three characters at the bottom (well, really two) are my own characters; Amperon, Warfang's Archive Master (an old friend of Malefor who was later murdered by him; his ghost is the next figure), and Kavler, a dragon who fled the battlefield and went into exile after losing to Cynder, never removing his armour. The full version of their stories can be read here: ( http://amcalmaron.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d465zfe )
Old Oct 20 2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Spyro was the catalyst to my daughter's love of video games. She plays World of Warcraft now. But still owns all the little purple dragon games and will dust them off and spend a couple days playing them again.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Oh NO, not WoW! My son played that most of his sophomore year in college and the next summer. His grades suffered. At the end of the summer he gave it up, sold his character for (I think) around $150, went back to school and found a very lovely girlfriend. Real life = much better than video games!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Yeah you hear stories of WoW sucking lives away. But ain't happening in our house.. one we pay the monthly subscription and she's required to do certain chores for it. And her grades this year are the best they've been.

And she knows that'd it can easily be taken away. A couple months ago she asked us to not pay it so she can leave it. I think it's more social outlet,her friends play and she's met new ones.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

That's good then! Fred did make some decent friends playing, and he was smart enough to quit and bring those grades way back up again. It would have been nice if he hadn't become so sucked in by it, but he's a perfectionist and had to keep at it.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2013, 01:47 AM   #7
Almaron
Weyr Harper

And here's an update at last!

http://amcalmaron.deviantart.com/#/d5q8g99

Grr...this one should have been finished a lot sooner. I'd become dissatisfied with my original pixelly Spyro pictures - the males were too fat and the females too thin, to name one problem - and I decided to revamp them late last year. I eventually managed to come up with a better design for the bodies, and was half finished when...some utter monsters broke into my house and stole my hard drive, meaning I lost this, all my files, and all my family photos.

Thankfully, I had my Ipod on my at the time, and it had low quality versions of more than 2/3rds of the lost images, so I managed to use that to replace the files. Anyway, all I had of the work I'd done on this was a blurred and shrunken image of the picture, which, as you can imagine, wouldn't be much help when drawing pixel art.

Nevertheless, I finally decided to confront the damn thing and eventually ended up with a design that looked good, so here's the first part; showing pixelly versions of Ignitus, Terrador, Volteer, Cyril, Spyro, Cynder, the Chronicler and Malefor. In addition to this, it shows all these characters as the opposite gender - to allow a person to picture what other dragons of a specific element may look like - and as a young dragon. As a bonus, I've also tossed in Ember and Flame, and Cynder with her colouring from Dawn Of The Dragon. At a later date, I'll do adult versions of both Ember and Flame, and I'll also do the Dragon Soldiers that appear in Dawn Of The Dragon, and perhaps Sparx - although he's pretty hard to detail that small!

I've also included five Elemental Sigils; based on the images shown in the first game - Spyro's one may seem odd, but it's shown briefly during the final battle with Cynder in A New Beginning, and represents Convexity.
Old Jan 3 2013, 08:24 PM   #8
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Very nice

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote