A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Dec 5 2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Cavatica
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Talents
Now Reading: Just finished: House of Suns
Default Forked tongues on firelizards?

SPLIT FROM ANOTHER THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrbrat View Post
Ahh... I see where I've been confused. When I first read Pern, I didnt think of it being on another planet, and assumed wherries where some sort of bird like creature, with feathers. That being said, doesn't it mention somewhere that they have beaks? And what I mean is that the fire lizards might have at first been simply lizards with wings, as they look like, without other abilities. If this was true, the forked tongue would be possible.
Wherries ARE birdlike creatures. They're large -- around the size of turkeys, I believe -- and six-limbed, with "proto feathers" similar to what Archeopteryx would have had. But remember, birds evolved from saurians. It's entirely plausible for wherries and firelizards to have a similarly-shaped single ancestor from which they both split.

Todd Cameron Hamilton depicted them, in the DLG, as looking like this:

...though there's an artist on DeviantArt who did sort of an interesting interpretation I think I like and that may make more sense as a firelizard ancestor and not just a firelizard cousin. ("Proto feathers," which wherries have, PRECEDE true feathers -- they're less evolved than actual feathers. If firelizards come from wherries instead of just being related to them, then they would have just lost the proto feathers altogether.)

Anyway. Wherries are birds. Well, if not birds, exactly, then "avians," and yes, they've got beaks and such. I suspect the wherry/firelizard/tunnelsnake archosaur would have started off terrestrial, and then the wherries and tunnelsnakes would have come from intermediate ancestors who gained wings -- but not forked tongues. ;> (Useless in the air, anyway. They'd've probably gained excellent sight -- more advantageous from the air -- before they'd've gained excellent smell.)

Last edited by Hans; Dec 6 2008 at 09:59 AM.
Cavatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan
Default Re: Dragonrider ID and other stuff

The Tunnel Snakes are described on page 12 of Dragon Lover's Guide Turtle Like faces
Ungulate jaws that allowed them to swallow prey whole...the picture shows fangs and rows of teeth...no forked tongue...but page 29 describes dragonets (firelizards) as having a forked tongue...
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 08:04 AM   #3
Weyrbrat
Inactive

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Misc

Are we considering DLG as canon, as im not sure. In first fall they call the wherries "bargelike creatures". But couldn't the firelizards originally just be unwinged lizards?
Weyrbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I think we're going way off topic here, so I am making a cut in this thread as of Cavatica's post and create a new one about the forked tongues

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Default Re: Forked tongues on firelizards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrbrat View Post
Are we considering DLG as canon, as im not sure. In first fall they call the wherries "bargelike creatures". But couldn't the firelizards originally just be unwinged lizards?
A lot more is canon in the DLG than not. Rather than everyone blanketly exclaiming that nothing in the DLG is canon, we should be picking it apart to separate what is and is not.

The fire-lizards are the direct ancestors to Pern's dragons--the primary changes Kity Ping did on them was to increase their size and adjusted their memory/inteligence ratio. There were also some minor changes she did to their hands to aid them with their larger bodies' take-off & landing, as well as the imposed her restrictions on golds for chewing fire stone.

But for the most part, DD indicated Ping left their overall design unchanged, which implies that the original natives also had forked tongues, as well as having facetted eyes, hard protruding eye ridges, horn-like nubs for their ears, neck and back ridges, soft suade-like hides, and forked tails.

Most native fauna on Pern should have six limbs, but how those limbs are developed and used depends upon their evolutionary niche. Wherries, tunnel-snakes, and fire-lizards all have common ancestors somewhere in the evolutionary path, but I wouldn't read too much into how close they're related...much like on Earth: birds, snakes, and humans all have a comon ancestor--but you might not be able to tell just from looking
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9 2008, 02:33 AM   #6
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
A lot more is canon in the DLG than not. Rather than everyone blanketly exclaiming that nothing in the DLG is canon, we should be picking it apart to separate what is and is not.
I don't know when anyone has ever stated that there's nothing accurate in it. Mainly it's people advising against using parts of it in debates when the information is not present in the books. There are so many errors in it that while a lot of it can be verified, there's no way to tell what is or isn't true with the parts that are not mentioned in the books.

So personally, I prefer to steer clear of it entirely for use in arguments, because I can just use the books instead, which are more or less concrete.

Quote:
But for the most part, DD indicated Ping left their overall design unchanged, which implies that the original natives also had forked tongues, as well as having facetted eyes, hard protruding eye ridges, horn-like nubs for their ears, neck and back ridges, soft suade-like hides, and forked tails.
Nope, they didn't have back ridges. Neck and tail ridges, but none on the back
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9 2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Isn't there a picture of a firelizard in the DLG without a forked tongue? The text and images don't agree, and I see no reason why not to decide to take the image as more correct as it makes more sense.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9 2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

I originally cited DLG about the tunnel snakes as not forked tongue and was surprised when I read the part about forked tongues in the description ....

but I was re reading Dragonsdawn and on page 96 in my copy (where Sorka and Sean had gone egg hunting with Pol, Tillek and Pietro) this paragraph caught my notice

Quote:
If she could alter one thing about Duke it would be to give him speech. She had learned to interpret
his various noises accurately and was able to understand what other dragonets said to their owners,but she wished she could communicate with Duke in a common language. But someone had said that FORKED TONGUES could not manage speech

Last edited by Emeraldrose; Dec 10 2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: to add quote re: forked tongues in firelizards
Old Dec 24 2008, 08:24 AM   #9
evdelft
Inactive

Fan of: Beyond Between
Now Reading: All the weyrs of Pern

Quote:
If she could alter one thing about Duke it would be to give him speech. [...] But someone had said that FORKED TONGUES could not manage speech.
As far as I'm concerned, dragons don't need speech , but in case of a dragonet it could be useful. Anyway, if - as DD indicates - a dragonet (and therewith a dragon) had a forked tongue, what's the problem with it? I can't imagine whatever the problem could be, though I've read about 9 of the books by now.

For as far as my knowlegde of snakes (i.e. forked tongues) is, it doesn't hamper the way it eats nor does it have any other way it could affect it's way of living.

By the way, is there a thread about the facetted eyes? I kinda like this 'scientific' discussions.
evdelft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24 2008, 09:00 AM   #10
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

If you look in Tthe Science of Pern section there is a thread called Eye Facets you would find of interest....
Old Dec 31 2008, 03:53 AM   #11
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by evdelft View Post
As far as I'm concerned, dragons don't need speech , but in case of a dragonet it could be useful. Anyway, if - as DD indicates - a dragonet (and therewith a dragon) had a forked tongue, what's the problem with it? I can't imagine whatever the problem could be, though I've read about 9 of the books by now.

For as far as my knowlegde of snakes (i.e. forked tongues) is, it doesn't hamper the way it eats nor does it have any other way it could affect it's way of living.

By the way, is there a thread about the facetted eyes? I kinda like this 'scientific' discussions.
Actually one of the other threads had mentioned that the forked tongue was for olfactory processes, smell and taste. but sensory input would use too much of brain for skull size and level of intelligence. I'm not sure which thread had it though.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote