A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Jul 16 2005, 02:44 PM   #1
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on
Question eragon

Has anybody ever read eragon? I read it twice, I find the book great waiting for the next one. When the book came out the author was only 19 years old.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16 2005, 04:37 PM   #2
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight
Default Re: eragon

I haven't read it yet, but have seem some good reviews. I may try to pick it up next time I do an Amazon order, assuming it's in paperback by now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz the Golden
Has anybody ever read eragon? I read it twice, I find the book great waiting for the next one. When the book came out the author was only 19 years old.
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16 2005, 06:31 PM   #3
Shelly
Inactive

Now Reading: Eldest and Eragon, again.

Eragon is one of the best books that i have ever read and i will be one of the first people in my library to read Eldest
Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2005, 07:19 AM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

I haven't read it, but they are making a movie currently that is due out next year, apparantly starring Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich and Djimon Hounsou.

I'm jaded that they'd choose to make a movie about this rather than Pern, but I'll still be sitting in the theater seats for it
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2005, 09:21 PM   #5
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Final Frontier (mine)

Haven't read it yet.

But I do plan to before the year's out.
Old Jul 22 2005, 03:02 PM   #6
monkeysrule
Firelizard
Hatchling

Fan of: Monkeys
Now Reading: expensive textbooks!

I'll put it on my list after Half Blood Prince and the summer reading requirements.
monkeysrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26 2005, 02:13 AM   #7
C'milo
Inactive

I read the first chapter, and I didn't think much of the writing quality. I suppose I should do it justice and read the whole thing before critiquing it.
C'milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2005, 02:13 AM   #8
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Final Frontier (mine)

Well, I bought it. Now I need to find a time to read it with all the other books I have on my reading list.
Old Sep 5 2005, 06:08 PM   #9
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

i orded the 2nd book.
Old Sep 10 2005, 12:29 PM   #10
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

got it yesterday. i'll let you how i liked it
Old Sep 17 2005, 05:46 PM   #11
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

like it so far almost done with it. keep you posted
Old Sep 23 2005, 10:52 PM   #12
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

finshed it today on the way home from work it was great. can't wait for the last book.
Old Feb 9 2006, 06:17 PM   #13
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

C'milo, the first chapter or two is slow. I started it and put it down. When my husband had read it he told me if I could get through them it got much better and it does!!

I've read both books and can't wait for the next one to come out. A movie would be interesting and will deffinetly go see it when it comes out.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2006, 01:30 AM   #14
Myt
Crafter
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

I've read both.
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2006, 05:31 PM   #15
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight

Still haven't managed to lay my little paws on this one *ties a knot in hanky to remind her to ask the library whether they have it in their English language collection*
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18 2006, 01:22 AM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I have seen it in the book store, and wondered about it, with that interesting dragon on the cover. I have heard that other people I know have liked it, so I will try to get to it soon.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2006, 07:18 PM   #17
Mausey
Inactive

My 16 year old son discovered the books shortly before Christmas. I checked them out for him and just a couple weeks ago managed to pry them from his hands and get them back. Good thing I work there, I can renew items as many times as I want. I think the kid read both books 6 times each and those are what he wants for his birthday. They must have something going for them.
Mausey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2006, 10:04 PM   #18
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
I have seen it in the book store, and wondered about it, with that interesting dragon on the cover. I have heard that other people I know have liked it, so I will try to get to it soon.
Lady M, they are WONDERFUL!!!! I can't wait until the 3rd one is published!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9 2006, 03:49 PM   #19
Unregistered

Question Re: eragon

the Eragon books are a good read and definatly have a cool plot that should be able to intrest anyone. . . but somehow they just didnt connect with me. they didnt feel as real as i think they should. there still a good read i am in eldest at the moment i am not use to feeling that way with books. am i the only one that had that reaction??
Old Apr 9 2006, 05:12 PM   #20
Brenda

That's actually a good way of putting it. The plot should be able to interest me - but I just can't connect with it.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2006, 06:59 PM   #21
dragonmay
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Eldest

I just finished Eragon and when I first started reading it, I was bias b/c I am such a fan of the Dragonriders of Pern series. However, I did give it a chance, and I enjoyed it. I too am a little mad that this young author has a movie already for his book, and yet Anne has not had one yet. I wish Fox or WB would see the opportunity in her writings...hopefully the movie deal with the Canadian company will prove fruitful for the McCaffrey clan!
dragonmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23 2006, 11:06 PM   #22
Carter
Inactive

I haven't read the series yet. A friend told me about it several months back and I meant to check into it and just forgot. After seeing the movie tonight, I realized it was the same series. The movie was pretty good. Not awesome or amazing, but pretty good. It seemed a little rushed in parts - like they probably cut a lot out of the book. I enjoyed it overall, and I really liked the dragon in the movie (though, while I like Rachael Weisz, I didn't care for her voice as the dragon). Only one other thing really bugged me about the movie. John Malkovich is apparenlty the only person in the entire land that has NO accent. It was so blatant to be almost jarring, the few scenes he's in.

I would give the movie a B or B-. Definite "leave your brain at the door" movie. Don't analyze it (or over-analyze it) or you'll hate it.
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25 2006, 05:03 PM   #23
Myt
Crafter
Senior Apprentice

(off topic I know) Is it possible for someone to not have an accent? I don't think I have an accent, but if I'm talking to someone from another country, according to them I do, but they don't. (once again, I know it's off-topic)
Old Dec 27 2006, 12:29 PM   #24
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

True. But for someone to have an american accent in a european-like setting is very odd
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2006, 03:45 PM   #25
Lily

O/T Accents
Most movies, any accent is not too strong. So if this guy is obviously American it must sound unusual.
I read the book some time ago and will certainly not re-read it before seeing the movie.
Funniest thing I ever saw where the American accent did NOT fit - was a live performance of Shakespeare, when I was visiting America
Old Dec 27 2006, 06:17 PM   #26
Menderofillusions
Inactive

Fan of: Freedom's, Doona, Petaybe
Now Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stien

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmay View Post
I just finished Eragon and when I first started reading it, I was bias b/c I am such a fan of the Dragonriders of Pern series. However, I did give it a chance, and I enjoyed it. I too am a little mad that this young author has a movie already for his book, and yet Anne has not had one yet. I wish Fox or WB would see the opportunity in her writings...hopefully the movie deal with the Canadian company will prove fruitful for the McCaffrey clan!
I have not read the books, however I have heard raves about both books. The movie is only said to be excellent by those that have not read the books. Those that have read seem very upset at the movie story and characters. For the Author I wish the best... The movie is eye candy and will perhaps sell the books out of couriosity.
Menderofillusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2006, 09:47 PM   #27
Brenda

I was not that impressed with the book and was even less impressed as I tried reading the sequal. I don't even remember whether or not I finished it - I cared that little about the characters.
Old Dec 28 2006, 12:19 AM   #28
Lily

I'm inclined to agree with you Brenda, in fact i have no interest in finding the second book. But I do look forward to the movie
Old Dec 28 2006, 12:04 PM   #29
Brenda

I think I'll go see Night at the Museum instead
Old Jan 1 2007, 11:38 AM   #30
Xonknj
Inactive

Fan of: All of Pern series.
Now Reading: C.S. Lewis's Narnia series

Just saw the movie and was sitting there saying to myself, this is almost like stuff in the PERN series. I then found out it was written by a young author who has read Anne McCaffrey's books. Did Anne give her blessing to this new author?

My nephew has read the book and now I'll have to read it too. I didn't read the book yet and saw the movie first. I have heard that those that read the book first were dissapointed in the movie, they say the book is better (books are always better, IMHO).
Xonknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2007, 10:02 PM   #31
Carter
Inactive

I'm reading the book now and... so far, it's okay. Not incredible, but okay. I've already noticed a number of things they changed, but really, it's mostly cutting out things not integral to the plot so that the movie isn't 10 hours long. And then, of course, there are a few minor plot things changed because of being affected by some of those non-vital things being cut out.

Over all, I still think the movie was a good movie. And I think the book is about in the same vein of quality.
Old Jan 4 2007, 11:06 PM   #32
makenzie71
Inactive

Fan of: Ruth...
Now Reading: Writing The Fall of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmay View Post
I wish Fox or WB would see the opportunity in her writings...
Trutst me, that's the last thing you would like to see. Everytime Fox or WB dubs a book onto the big screen, they cut it up too much. To the point that they should have invested in making an entirely different story based on the book instead. I'm also leary of Copperheart's interest in making a McCaffrey movie, but I've heard that the author herself wouldn't have given up rights had it been by a less-than-truist agency (on the other hand, you would have thought that about Vegietales).

You want to see the McCaffrey books come to life? Pray Disney wraps their fingers around it.
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2007, 04:37 PM   #33
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

noooooooo not diseny!
after the hash they made of the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy film!!!!!!!!!!!
the best thing about that was the music- though the original music (which they included) was best!

I think it pretty significant that although it had been in the pipeline for years it only got under way after Douglas Adams was dead!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2007, 06:05 PM   #34
makenzie71
Inactive

Fan of: Ruth...
Now Reading: Writing The Fall of the Order

Most author's works never make it to the theatres until after their death simply because it's easier to get rights to the material then. Many authors refuse to let their work go out of fear that the producers and writers will screw it up.

The Hitchhiker's Guide wasn't so poorly done, but it was a fairly low budget film from Disney's standards...it was produced on $50,000,000 (Fox paid $100,000,000 for Eragon).

A much better example of what Disney can do is The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Disney's producers pushed that flick OVER two hours in length and they had over a $180,000,000 production budget. Plus, Disney's animators are top of the line...they simply can NOT be beat...and they're truists. They spend their lives animating critters and characters from verbal discriptions without imaginative improvisation. I would MUCH rather have seen Disney pick up Pern than anyone else.

Look at the griffins in the narnia flick and compare them to fox's idea of what saphira should look like...disney trumps.
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2007, 06:53 PM   #35
Carter
Inactive

I really like how Saphira looked. I thought it was a refreshing take on how they are stereotypically depicted. In reading the book, they could have depicted her coloring a little more true, but there might have been reasonings behind that... (i.e. - things that don't translate to film well, like a brightly colored dragon too contrasting to the dark/somber tone of the film, not to mention possibly being too cartoonish-looking. Just a thought. )
Old Jan 6 2007, 03:35 PM   #36
Thor's
Inactive

Fan of: Pegasus flight
Now Reading: The Chronicles of Narnia

There's many things who looks like McCaffrey's books. Like the "thing when the dragonrider meet for the first time his dragon (sorry I don't know the world in english)" and the link during the death of the dragon or the rider.

I'm not really satisfied by this book. The film is nice, can you imagine DragonFlight with this FX ? It should be awesome.

I think they should have done a Pern movie with this movie's price. If they even make the film the people will say it's a silly copy.

Sorry if I'm not really clear, I'm tired .
Thor's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2007, 06:22 PM   #37
Myt
Crafter
Senior Apprentice

You make sense.

If they do make a Pern movie the dragons had better not have FEATHERS.
Besides that, I liked the movie Saphira.
Old Jan 8 2007, 09:15 AM   #38
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
Most author's works never make it to the theatres until after their death simply because it's easier to get rights to the material then. Many authors refuse to let their work go out of fear that the producers and writers will screw it up.

The Hitchhiker's Guide wasn't so poorly done, but it was a fairly low budget film from Disney's standards...it was produced on $50,000,000 (Fox paid $100,000,000 for Eragon).

but the story was well... wrong!
The beginning was relatively accurate but then it rapidly went downhill- most of the 2nd half was a complete load of... ahem! And HHGTTG was written for radio so it started as a script!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2007, 08:00 AM   #39
J'han
Inactive

Fan of: Pern. Robinton. Volly.
Now Reading: Crystal Singer

Saw the movie wish I hadn't. Kinda like Harry Potter and PERN in one. Biggest differences about the dragon: Waits for a long time before hatcxhing (still chooses the rider though), feathers, blue female (instead of green). How original. Worse, I saw it with a slave of the books, someone who's so obsessed they don't stop picking it apart.

Long story short, I thought it was okay, but sapped most of the ideas from elsewhere. Oh, and it had Baal in it so several sweetness points there.
J'han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2007, 12:01 PM   #40
Rayne
Inactive

Fan of: The Rowan series
Now Reading: The Sword of Shannara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonknj View Post
My nephew has read the book and now I'll have to read it too. I didn't read the book yet and saw the movie first. I have heard that those that read the book first were dissapointed in the movie, they say the book is better (books are always better, IMHO).
I read the books first and I liked them a lot. Then I saw the movie with a friend and we were OUTRAGED! We spent most of the time there making fun of the scenes. They left out peices that are vital to the next book! But how Arya was portrayed dissapointed me the most. She was supposed to be in a coma! So though I despised the movie, I really think that those who have seen (and probably despised) the movie should read the books.

Oh, and as a side note.... There is an Erragon who is mentioned a lot in the Skies of Pern. Coincidence? I think not!! (hehee)
Rayne is offline   Reply With Quote