A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Sep 25 2020, 08:21 PM   #5521
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series
Default Re: What is happening

I'm doing okay! I've been quite busy lately, having had a couple of cars from a friend visiting for some TLC, but this resulted in some pretty massive posts with a lot of images that I'd need to edit down a bit so the forum software won't object. Plus there were some serious enough topics being discussed at the time it felt a bit insensitive to be spamming the topic with massive car related posts at the time...bear with me and I'll have a bit of a catch up at the weekend!

We've had a bit of bad news here as well in the last few days. One of our close friends had been fighting against cancer for the last few years, and had generally been doing pretty well at it over the last year and it looked like they might be beating it. Until their treatment was put on hold during lockdown. They passed away yesterday morning. So we're now helping to help their other half work through things and generally look after them until things settle back down. They're coping things about as well as can be expected as they've had a long while to process that this was always a likely outcome. Still a horrible situation though, especially at only 41 and a half.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26 2020, 02:25 PM   #5522
Zelandeth

This afternoon I made a horrendous mess in the garage while pulling out most of the old rubber floor mats from the Invacar.

This took a lot longer than hoped as while it was falling apart, the bits that were still stuck to the floor were VERY stuck to the floor.

As expected given I could see daylight through it, the metal underneath the offside kick plate was largely missing.

I'll make sure a little plate goes in here to bridge the gap. I did note that a few bits were hanging down there into the area of the door runner, I reckon this may have had something to do with why that door jams so frequently.

Quite a few of the rivets aren't actually attached to anything because they've dissolved, so I'll replace most of them. I'll be adding a bunch across the floor panel anyway so it's held still against the chassis as currently it's totally free to move aside from at the edges. That's going to involve drilling several dozen holes from underneath... that'll be fun.

Then we can start getting the new flooring installed and she will start to look a good deal tidier inside.
Old Sep 28 2020, 03:00 AM   #5523
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

It has been quieter than normal here. I hope everyone's ok.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28 2020, 03:10 PM   #5524
Zelandeth

Here's one of our periodic wanders off into the world of obsolete technology which happen now and then around me...

Hello there...

We've got yet another system to join the vintage Toshiba portable computer family.

Well...sort of.

I used to have one of these back around 2000 which I used for a lot of my school work. It sadly failed at one point due to capacitor issues on the power supply board (which these machines almost all suffer from at some point, likewise on the display backlight inverter board). It was stripped down with a view to being repaired however due to a communications breakdown (read: my father ignoring everything he was told) when we were clearing out the loft several key parts ended up getting binned.

These machines seem to change hands for alarmingly large sums of money in good order these days, so when this one popped up for £50 I grabbed it. Especially as it has the optional hard disk, most T1200s had dual (720K) floppy drives.

This is important as apparently the non HD equipped machines lack several other bits, so you can't just slot the drive in. I'm hoping that once I make one good one out of the two (my original has a largely un-yellowed and almost unmarked case for a start) that I'll be able to recover some documents off my old one's drive. The 20Mb drive uses a proprietary JVC/Ricoh interface so there's no real way to get data to/from it without one of these laptops (or a handful of other, even rarer machines). Not the last time Toshiba played this card...the original T3200 uses a 40Mb drive with a similarly oddball proprietary interface, made by Fujitsu in that case.

I will definitely be swapping the keyboard for mine...that is just nasty...

Though a trip through the dishwasher for the keycaps would probably make the world of difference.

Unsurprisingly this one doesn't work...just showing an amber light on the power supply. So at the very least that will need to be recapped. Hopefully that will be enough to get it going...time will tell.

Be a nice little productivity machine if I can get it working reliably. It's based around an 80C86 processor (a low power CMOS based version of the 8086), has 640+384K of memory to work with and importantly over the other machines of this era I have, backs these specs up with a hard disk and a screen with a decent backlight. The lack of that is by far the biggest blot on the Amstrad PPC512's copybook.

My original one was still running the original battery which was ancient even when I was using it, yet that with a bit if careful power management (you can manually power down the hard drive and drop the clock speed (down from 9.5 to 4.5MHz if I remember right) it used to get me through a full secondary school day and the 45 minute bus ride to/from the place without breaking a sweat.

... I've never had a modern laptop which could do that! Never mind one from the mid 80s.

What do you bet that a clean, working example now turns up locally at a reasonable price?
Old Sep 28 2020, 04:11 PM   #5525
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Of course it will.

Old Sep 30 2020, 06:41 PM   #5526
Zelandeth

I appear to have managed to fail to take a photo of my progress today...but not a huge issue given there's not much to see!

All of the rivets to the left of the seat in the floor of TPA have now been drilled out and replaced with stainless bolts. The vast majority just disintegrated the moment I touched them with the drill so clearly weren't doing much useful.

The difference in rigidity of the floor panel with only that done is huge...you can still make it move, but it has resistance and doesn't just flop around. Thumping it with a first now makes a solid sounding thud rather than a hollow rattle.

I definitely want to make a point of changing all of the fasteners involved here as they're all clearly shot. So the seat needs to come out next as there are half a dozen buried underneath it that I can't get to any other way.

Goes without saying that I'll be looking closely at a few of the other body mountings where rivets have been used in case they're in as bad a shape - though the water being trapped under the floor mats for years probably made the issues here so much worse.
Old Oct 1 2020, 02:17 PM   #5527
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I just noticed, I started this thread in 2011. Never thought it would last this long.

Old Oct 1 2020, 04:13 PM   #5528
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I have a question,
If someone votes by mail & dies before election day do their vote count? How would the register know how they voted?

Old Oct 2 2020, 02:15 AM   #5529
SpaceCowboy
Jewel Junk

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

OK this is both easy and complicated. The easy answer is no their vote won't count. Now for the complicated part.

ALL absentee ballots are supposed to be checked against the voter rolls and the voter marked as having voted. They are than supposed to be placed alphabetically by precinct UNOPENED until election day. While people are voting on election day absentee ballots are checked to see if the voter has died since the ballot was received. If the voter has died the ballot is removed and shredded. All other ballots are opened and prepared for counting. They are stacked by precinct and the count starts somewhere between 20 minutes before the polls close and at polls closing. This depends on the county and state as well as how many there are as to when the count of absentee ballots starts. Once they are prepared for counting even if the voter dies on election day they will be counted. They are counted by the registrar and their staff while being watched by a representative poll judge from all parties on the ballot.

The poll judges are elected officials but not high ranking ones. In Allen County Indiana it is what are called Precinct Committeeman who do this. We are the lowest of the low but if an elected official needs to be replaced we wield tremendous power since we select their successor or who will run from their party to elect their successor. Before you ask no I will not be a poll judge this year since I was in 2016. I will however be one in 2024. Although since it is my day off I will probably spend most of it at the poll location where my precinct votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
I have a question,
If someone votes by mail & dies before election day do their vote count? How would the register know how they voted?
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2 2020, 09:28 AM   #5530
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Thank you, Spacecowboy.

Old Oct 2 2020, 06:14 PM   #5531
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I've been reading some of the post from years ago.
P'ter was looking for otter poo, for survey.
I had just moved houses.
Edith was working on her post doc.
Sometime between the last post Allen changed on line name to Allen.

Old Oct 2 2020, 07:37 PM   #5532
Zelandeth

With everything going on just now I'm only getting the odd few minutes here and there to do anything relating to the cars. Despite that the structural improvements to the nearside of the Invacar floor have been finished and I've started cutting the carpet to fit.

You can start to get a feel for how it's going to look now I think.

These are the new kick plates that might be going in.

I'm still undecided...whether they get used or not will probably depend on whether I can get the originals back to a vaguely presentable state...currently they're awful.

I'm basically making the left carpet, right carpet (which is *mostly* just a mirror image) then will cut an infill to go in the middle.

Nothing is being glued in place yet. Before that happens I need to rotate the car 180 degrees so I can do the same knackered rivet replacement on the offside, paint the seat base, find a rubber boot for the gear selector linkage where it passes through the bulkhead and thoroughly degrease the entire floor and front bulkhead. Depending on how things sit I may apply some foam underlay. I think that this will really make a huge difference to the feel of the interior.

As the seat can only be moved a few inches to either side I'm also doing away with the sliding capacity. Two bolts will be going through the rear of the frame to secure it in place. As the latch is at the front of the frame the rear of the seat tends to shift an inch or so every time you change direction, and it's quite annoying. If someone wants to undo it in the future it will just require a couple of bolts to be removed. Should make the driving experience a bit more pleasant. The seat wobbling around really doesn't instill confidence, so I'd really like to stop it doing that. I reckon this is probably more of an issue with my seat than it would be with the original as this provides a lot more lateral support than the original one would have.
Old Oct 3 2020, 02:28 PM   #5533
Zelandeth

This is actually starting to look like I've got any idea what I'm doing...

The joins will be far less visible once things are actually glued down. Plus the bar across the middle isn't bolted down at the offside yet hence the bump there.
Old Oct 3 2020, 02:35 PM   #5534
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

It is looking so much better !!
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2020, 03:51 PM   #5535
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Allen, are you still doing wood burning? If so.could you do a plack of a dragon eating a fairy. With the saying "I'm sorry my dragon ate your fairy." This would mainly be to fret Kibby.

I probably couldn't get until after Christmas.

Old Oct 4 2020, 08:06 PM   #5536
Zelandeth

New offside outer "sill" made up from some ally sheet and bolted in place.

I tapped the edge at the overlap flat with a hammer, though as this will be under both the carpet and sill kick plate I'm not really too bothered about how it looks.

I then went on a similar rivet replacement mission as I did on the nearside before giving everything a thorough wipe down then starting to get the carpet glued in.

After an hour or so getting distinctly high on carpet adhesive fumes we were three or four pieces away from the floor being done.

Closer look at where it's following the contour of the front bulkhead to show how well it's formed.

Yes I fouled up the bit by the steering yoke bracket...an infill will be cut to disguise that oops.

Sadly three or four pieces short of being finished I ran out of time! Annoying having to stop so close to being finished, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Should get it finished tomorrow and get things put back together tomorrow. Have a few more bits to fit as trim but they're a bit less of a faff than the floor where you're working around the seat base.
Old Oct 4 2020, 08:10 PM   #5537
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Allen, kibby still has the wolf fairy you made, years ago. She still loves it.

Old Oct 5 2020, 11:42 AM   #5538
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Allen, kibby still has the wolf fairy you made, years ago. She still loves it.
Thank you. I'm glad she still likes it. I got discouraged about my laser engraving after several small local craft shows where we didn't sell a thing; jewelry, plaques, photography, nothing. But we think the problem around here is people expect to be able to buy hand made craft items for "yard sale junk" prices. Well, I'm not about to sell a sterling silver ring with a marquis cut ruby that took me hours to put together properly for less than the cost of the ring setting! Or spend 4 to 6 hours making a wire wrap ring with a big sapphire (and I mean big, like over 10 carats), using over 3 FEET of gold filled wire (not plated; gold filled will last for years without wearing through) for less than the cost of the wire.

On top of that, I've worn out my third laser's control board, so that the last 2 projects, memorial plaques for wife and family commemorating the loss of my wife's sister, have not gone well. I'm waiting for a new board so I can try to learn how to use improved software. If it works like advertised, I'll be updating at least one other of my old lasers with a similar board. The same software can run more than one machine.
Old Oct 5 2020, 03:31 PM   #5539
Zelandeth

I think it's fair to call this is looking a bit more welcoming.

Here's a "before" photo for reference.

It's astonishing how a bit of trim can change the feel of the cabin.

The offside kick plate still needs to be secured, but I need direct access to that side of the car for that so it needs the rain to stop for five minutes.

There will be a few more bits to go in. To name one I'll be lining the door cavities in matching carpet, and the roof will get some at some point. That may well be a lighter colour and be actual automotive carpet though so it's easier to shape though...and will likely wait a while as removing the roof will make lining it massively less awkward.
Old Oct 7 2020, 02:49 PM   #5540
Allen

Definitely nice work, up to the quality I've seen from you in the past... Remember that I've done automotive restoration professionally.
Old Oct 7 2020, 05:14 PM   #5541
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I'm not sure about anything right now. Mom is worse. I don't think she'll make through the week. I'm suppose to have a Dr. appt. tomorrow. I don't know if I should go. I thought she'd be around for one last Christmas.
She dreamed she was in a field & someone was coming for her. She hoped it was Dad, he died in '81. Cat woke her up.
She was coherent for about 2 hours this morn. The longest she has been in a week. She's not eating more than a bite or 2 a day.

Old Oct 7 2020, 06:51 PM   #5542
Zelandeth

Thoughts are with you and yours, Mawra.

We've got the funeral of a good friend tomorrow who passed away last week from cancer. Essentially a victim of Covid as their treatment was stopped during lockdown. They'd been generally keeping ahead of things until then.
Old Oct 8 2020, 09:08 PM   #5543
Zelandeth

After attending the funeral of a friend this morning I found myself with a couple of hours free this afternoon so I decided to try to crack on with getting the offside kick plate sorted.

After a couple of hours of hitting things with hammers and swearing at it we had the kick plate in place. Once I got the bolts in I was able to pull the kink out at least. They'll both want to be stripped and painted but that's a job for another day. Will be a hammered black finish we'll go with to match some of the other details in the cabin.

Then the seal was reattached. These will be changed for tubular section seals at some point as I reckon they will work far better.

This was the last part of this project which involved stuff being apart so I was able to remove all the tools and nonsense from in the car and put things back together again. Longest job there was finding the seatbelt which I had helpfully hung over a hook on the garage wall...right in front of my blind face. Took me half an hour to spot it. Idiot.

From the previous round of work I noticed that the side "cheek" behind the windscreen washer bottle clearly had lifted while the adhesive was curing before (lack of patience on my part likely to blame as it was the last bit I fitted). So this was peeled back re-glued and was left with a screwdriver wedged behind the washer bottle for half an hour or so to keep it sitting flush. Sorted.

While I'm calling this job fundamentally done there are a couple of bits which will want a little further attention.

[] Parcel shelf. I'm 1/3 of a time short of having enough left to cover that. This is probably the most important one as it's where about 80% of the mechanical noise in the cabin gets in. I'm probably going to put some actual Dynamat or similar on there as well for that reason.

[] Door cavities. To match the visual aspect of the rectangular cutout at the base, and to help cut down drumming from these pretty large flat panels.

[] I may also do the windscreen pillars as the black semi gloss paint on there is *really* bad for reflections when the sun is even vaguely low. Plus the metal is quite pitted in a few areas so it would look tidier.

[] Sun visor panel. This was originally fabric lined from the factory, I stripped and painted it because the original material was decomposing, but it would feel appropriate to return it to a soft finish. Especially as the roof will be done somewhere down the line.

Lining the roof itself is what I'm terming "phase 2" of this project. That's something I will probably tackle next year. I'll use a lighter coloured material for that, and will probably go for actual automotive trim to maximise audio absorption, minimise weight and get something that's easier to work with. I'll also remove the roof from the car to make access far easier. Being able to flip the whole moulding upside down will make the job massively easier I think.

I only had time for a quick test run round the block today. Initial impressions though are that the apparent noise levels in the cabin even from the work done so far are vastly reduced. You can actually best wind noise above 40 now which was never the case before, so it's definitely helped! The panel being more firmly fastened down has helped improve the feeling of solidity too as it's not rumbling and vibrating under your feet half as much. Hoping I might be able to get a proper test drive in tomorrow.

It has definitely highlighted that I need to make a sealing boot/plug for the cable passthrough in the rear bulkhead where the overhead control box cables to through as you can clearly hear a lot of mechanical noise is coming through there now that a lot of the other avenues have been cut off. The overall job was to improve the interior though and it feels like we've definitely achieved that aim.

When I first started the car up it became apparent that the carb was lacking a working idle circuit again, presumably due to a bit of grime finding its way into the (tiny) idle jet. This cleared after a few minutes of running thankfully...but the reason it happened quickly became apparent.

If you look closely you can see the metal cap over the end of the filter element in the fuel filter has broken away. I'm really getting hacked off with how hard it's getting to find decent quality consumables these days. Think I'll see about getting some filters from a marine specialist as I did with the fuel lines, being a more safety conscious field hopefully the quality control will be better...
Old Oct 10 2020, 06:59 PM   #5544
Zelandeth

I think I can now say that Phase 1 of the Invacar retrim project is complete.

Having been out to run a few errands today I can definitely vouch for the fact that the general noise levels have been vastly reduced. By far the most annoying thing in that regard now is the nearside door which rattles quite a bit. I think if we get some better seals in there I'm hoping that might improve things in that department, we'll see. I suspect that there's a certain element of "they just do that" due to the design though. As it is though the car is far more pleasant to travel in now than it was.

Phase 2 will be lining the roof and replacing the cracked dash moulding with my spare one...not sure when that will happen, but likely a job for either the depths of winter or early next year I think.

I'm quite pleased with how this project has turned out, especially as I've never done anything like this before.

Additionally the fuel filter which had fallen apart internally...

...Has now been replaced.

I have a glass bodied filter which can be serviced on the way as I'm guessing all of these filters in the bag are likely as bad as each other.
Old Oct 11 2020, 05:01 PM   #5545
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I feel helpless, there's nothing I can for Mom.

Old Oct 11 2020, 07:28 PM   #5546
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy

Quote:
I feel helpless, there's nothing I can for Mom.
When my Brother was dying of Cancer in 2007, I was sitting and holding him up after his bath, I said almost the exact same thing to him, I wish there was something more I could do, He replied, You're Here. I guess that's all we can do, Just be there. I know it gave him some bit of comfort.
Old Oct 11 2020, 07:42 PM   #5547
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy

Haven't been on for a few weeks, Changing Jobs again. Gets harder and harder as I get Older and Older !
Old Oct 13 2020, 03:37 PM   #5548
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Mom's still hanging in there. Not sure if that is good or not. She's in a lot of pain & keeps asking God to take her.

Old Oct 15 2020, 07:08 AM   #5549
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Quote:
Mom's still hanging in there. Not sure if that is good or not. She's in a lot of pain & keeps asking God to take her.

I'm so sorry. I wish you strength in coping with this. I haven't been there, so I can't really imagine what it's really like to be in your situation, just watching someone suffer and not really be able to do anything to make the suffering any easier. I hope she can find comfort in your presence, though.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16 2020, 10:11 AM   #5550
Zelandeth

It's a horrible situation to be in, just hang in there. I know it's not much but we're here to talk to (or if necessary at).

I've been in a very similar boat I think four times now between close friends and actual family members, there's really nothing I can say that makes it easier. The only thing I will say is absolutely crucial to your sanity is to find at least a little bit of time every day that's for you. Doesn't matter if it's ten minutes or an hour, but you need some time where you can take a deep breath and decompress for just a little. While this sort of thing is going on it's all too easy to forget.
Old Oct 17 2020, 09:36 AM   #5551
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Thank you for all the support.

Old Oct 17 2020, 11:23 AM   #5552
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

When us kids were sitting around Dad's bed while he was dying of cancer, he was unconscious and in his final coma. My (ordained) bother leant across and whispered in his ear, "It's all right to go. You are allowed to do so." And he did.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17 2020, 11:26 AM   #5553
Allen

Quote:
Thank you for all the support.
I've hesitated to comment until now, but I feel for you, Maw. My mother (96 years old) had shingles several years back, and she has been one of the unfortunate ones who never get over the nerve pain. The shingles are long gone, but the pain has never left. It's been slowly killing her for over 5 years now. My sister just got her on Hospice, but everything their doctor suggested has already been tried, so there's nothing to be done. The only thing that is known for sure to help is lithium, but it can't be used on heart patients, and she has a pacemaker. We're wondering if she'll last till Christmas.
Old Oct 18 2020, 05:01 AM   #5554
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Sorry to hear about your Mom, Allen. It is hard watching & waiting.
Mom is sleeping most of the time. When She's awake it is only for a few seconds. She's not eating.

Old Oct 25 2020, 07:33 AM   #5555
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

What's everyone up to?

Old Oct 25 2020, 12:04 PM   #5556
Allen

Quote:
What's everyone up to?
I don't know about everyone else, but I've been waiting and wondering about you and your mom. The longer it got since your last post, the more I was dreading.
Old Oct 25 2020, 02:24 PM   #5557
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

She's still breathing. Drinking a tiny bit of water, hasn't eaten in about 3 weeks, that was only a few sips of soup. Nothing solid in over a month. Hospices says she could go anytime.

Right now we're just waiting. It's driving me crazy.

Last edited by mawra; Oct 25 2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old Oct 26 2020, 08:53 PM   #5558
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

Quote:
She's still breathing. Drinking a tiny bit of water, hasn't eaten in about 3 weeks, that was only a few sips of soup. Nothing solid in over a month. Hospices says she could go anytime.

Right now we're just waiting. It's driving me crazy.
It is so hard, and your feelings are so mixed . I know, I have been there with my husband. Stay strong, I am thinking of you
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26 2020, 09:58 PM   #5559
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I didn't want, couldn't be home when Mom goes. I can't handle it. I left Mom in the care of Hubby, sisters & other & am taking Kibby to South Dakota to met up with some on line gaming friends. The one driver that was going had to cancel. I'm going so they can go out & do thing without using Uber. They are mostly going to game.

Old Oct 26 2020, 10:31 PM   #5560
SpaceCowboy
Jewel Junk

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

Maw the fact that I was at work the night my mom passed is one of my greatest regrets. Make sure you won't regret not being there for her.

Quote:
I didn't want, couldn't be home when Mom goes. I can't handle it. I left Mom in the care of Hubby, sisters & other & am taking Kibby to South Dakota to met up with some on line gaming friends. The one driver that was going had to cancel. I'm going so they can go out & do thing without using Uber. They are mostly going to game.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote