A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Mar 8 2009, 11:01 PM   #41
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.
Default Re: Lessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
ED...Thank you for the link to Mira's site...I like some of the older photos like you suggested, but for what I have in mind for a portrait, I will have to look a bit further.
Just trying to be helpful to you and Shalyn.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2009, 11:15 PM   #42
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

E.D. you have a "wicked sense of humour" about B5 (that's one show I haven't watched in years ). It's certainly something that got me thinking about the whole show.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8 2009, 11:44 PM   #43
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
E.D. you have a "wicked sense of humour" about B5 (that's one show I haven't watched in years ). It's certainly something that got me thinking about the whole show.
B5 was a work of art. It certainly benefited from what went before, such as the Star Trek franchises, but its creators went beyond merely refining an old formula and broke new ground. They really revolutionized how a lot of series are approached because of the planned arc of the show, versus the old style of almost random episode submissions. Star Trek was always a mess because of the old-style approach.

The old approach contributes to "wander" in a series and eventually results in the series "jumping the shark." B5 seems to have mercifully avoided that fate. It had its rough patches, but it never quite went off the rails.

And the writing and acting were just wonderful. Neil Gaiman actually wrote the episode that featured Penn&Teller.

Bruce Boxlietner and Mira Furlan complemented each other very well. Of course, Boxlietner had plenty of experience with a relationship role from his time playing against Kate Jackson.

Andreas Katsulas was just masterful. He sold G'kar.

Peter Jurrasic was an under-appreciated delight in a hideously complex role.

The casting of the minions was terrific, and even the selection of "what-ever-happened-to" Traci Scoggins to replace Claudia Christian when that unfortunately became necessary.

As for Christian, her performance as Ivanova was a tour-de-force and tour-de-farce. Nobody could throw out a dead-pan quip quite as glibly and get away with it like her, and she did it in such a way that you could actually see her superior officers putting up with it. Of course, being relentlessly competent forgives much--but not all, unless you've got just that right tone and personality.

And the twists, oh the twists! Ivanova and Talia--who saw that coming? Neroon turning on the Warrior Caste. Ivanova's ritual "sex" with the alien ambassador. The B4 time arc (even though time-travel always makes me cringe as a writer). Na'Toth kicking the crap out of G'kar to save him. The resolution of the Shadow War much earlier than expected. G'kar accidentally starting a religion--poetic justice. Mollari and Vir sharing a fate to become Emperor. The resolution of the Earth Civil War and the arm-twisting of Earth into the Alliance. Lockley being "the first Mrs. Sheridan." Bester's "Azimov" of Garibaldi. Lyta's "modification" by the Vorlons. The Drakh corruption of the Centauri. G'kar as Mollari's body-guard.

All just too much fun!
Old Mar 8 2009, 11:57 PM   #44
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
"Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

The other "minions" also got some great writing, including Stephen Furst, Bill Mumy, Julie Caitlyn Brown, and Jason Carter.

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED TOPIC.
That is my favorite line from the show.

My second favorite is from an episode where Mira Furlan's character was kidnapped, and Jason Carter's Ranger went into a bar and told them that they were going to tell him where she was, and described what was going to happen tho them if they didn't. Cut to other scenes, and then cut back. Bill Mumy's character walks into the bar where there's obviously been a bar fight. Jason punches out someone, and says, "Damn, now I'm going to have to wait for him to wake up." He looks at Mumy and says, "My therapist says that I've been repressing a lot of anger......I'm not repressed anymore."

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2009, 12:13 AM   #45
Jandolyn
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer Series
Now Reading: The Skies of Pern

Well, I'm not as discerning as some (just look at who I suggested for Pern movie characters) but Lady Maelin, you have captured my Lessa! It's truly amazing...I can see Lessa the drudge in those eyes! THANK YOU!!!
Jandolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9 2009, 12:41 AM   #46
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post
That is my favorite line from the show.

My second favorite is from an episode where Mira Furlan's character was kidnapped, and Jason Carter's Ranger went into a bar and told them that they were going to tell him where she was, and described what was going to happen tho them if they didn't. Cut to other scenes, and then cut back. Bill Mumy's character walks into the bar where there's obviously been a bar fight. Jason punches out someone, and says, "Damn, now I'm going to have to wait for him to wake up." He looks at Mumy and says, "My therapist says that I've been repressing a lot of anger......I'm not repressed anymore."

GH
That's a good one.

My favorites:

"And just one more thing. On your trip back I'd like you to take the time to learn the Babylon 5 mantra: 'Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.' Babylon Control out. .. Civilians! [Looks up] I was just kidding about the God part -- no offense."

"It's all so brief, isn't it? Typical human lifespan is almost a hundred years, but it's barely a second compared to what's out there. It wouldn't be so bad if life didn't take so long to figure out. Seems you just start to get it right and then .. it's over."
"Doesn't matter. If we lived two hundred years, we'd still be human. We'd still make the same mistakes."
"You're a pessimist."
"I'm Russian, Doctor. We understand these things."

"Commander, everything in order?"
"Remarkably so. It is beginning to worry me."
"Do you always worry when things are going well?"
"I don't have time to worry about them when they are not."

"Who am I? I'm Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sofie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I'm death incarnate and the last living thing that you're ever going to see. God sent me."

Gotta love Ivanova, the quintessential XO. Who knew Russians even had a sense of humor?
Old Mar 9 2009, 11:02 AM   #47
GHarris

Quote:
That's a good one.

Gotta love Ivanova, the quintessential XO. Who knew Russians even had a sense of humor?
It's too bad that Marcus died before having a chance to fulfill his unrequited love. Of course, if JMS had known how the contract negotiations with CC would go, it might have worked out differently.

Another of my favorite quotes by Londo Mollari, "Jesus came to your planet 2200 years ago to teach you about peace, and you've been fighting over what he said, ever since."

Here's a link to a lot of Bab5 quotes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105946/quotes

GH
Old Mar 9 2009, 03:33 PM   #48
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
It's too bad that Marcus died before having a chance to fulfill his unrequited love. Of course, if JMS had known how the contract negotiations with CC would go, it might have worked out differently.

Another of my favorite quotes by Londo Mollari, "Jesus came to your planet 2200 years ago to teach you about peace, and you've been fighting over what he said, ever since."

GH
Psst...as per JMS, Macus isn't dead per se. He actually wrote a short for "Amazing Stories" to clear up how that all ended.

I don't think there was a bad casting note in that series. Plot-wise, I think Ivanova's unexpected departure threw a monkey wrench into the telepath/Byron plot. (And that whole plot had issues. I really was rooting for Bester by the end, and when Byron starts singing before going all protesting-Buddhist-monk on himself I can't help but hear Tom Leherer's "We WIll All Go Together When We Go" instead of whatever he's actually singing.)

Hee. For lines, I love Talia and every time I turn around, Garibaldi is there! [Lift opens. Garibaldi is there.]

But. Anyhoo. Topic. Yeah, actually, Mira Furlan would have rocked Lessa.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10 2009, 12:37 AM   #49
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Quote:
Re: Wow.

Sadly, I appear to have the eye of an artist, and the hand of a troll.

Similarly, I have the ear of a musician, and the only instrument I can play is the on-switch on the stereo.

--

Re: Furlan.

I find Mira Furlan to be absolutely delightful as an actress and a personality. Her performance on Babylon 5 was thoroughly enjoyable and she got one of the best lines:

"Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

And she got plenty of crafty, humorous lines, especially in the relationship scenes with Boxlietner. Those are always fun for couples to watch--very well written and very well delivered. (Unlike too many Western actors, Furlan has been married for quite some time and I've no doubt that contributes to her convincing performance.)

Of course, the absolute best lines went to Claudia Christian, but it's only to be expected. Her character was God...and Death Incarnate. Hard to compete with those two. The other "minions" also got some great writing, including Stephen Furst, Bill Mumy, Julie Caitlyn Brown, and Jason Carter. Brown was absolutely priceless as a foil for Andreas Katsulas and badly missed when she had to give up the part, apparently due to an allergy to the extensive make-up and prosthetics.

Of course, Katsulas and Jurassic were completely over-the-top in their roles. I can still hear Jurassic's wonderfully contrived accent and syntax declaiming "What is it now, you moon-faced assassin of joy?" And masterful; may he rest in the warm glow of his justly earned acclaim; truly a craftsman. (And you can just about hear his character saying something like that, can't you?)

Also enjoyed Patty Tallman (her personality reminds me of another favorite, Andrea Parker). The lethal potential of her character was something that really deserved more time than it got. And thinking of "teeps," the role of Alfred Bester was the complete rehabilitation of Walter Koenig. I think more people will remember him as the most hated villain of B5 than his obnoxious token role on Star Trek. He played Bester with such relish, that you could actually see Bester's point of view...albeit, the fun-house mirror of the House of Horrors view, but you could see it--and it made you want to take a decontamination shower afterward, complete with scrubbing your skin raw. Major respect for Koenig after that. Major.

And Penn&Teller as Rebo&Zooty...

As you can tell, I obviously hated B5...

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED TOPIC.

--

Oh no you don't not without me putting in my HORRAYS!!!
Lord here I find us of one very happy mind...and yes I can
really telljust how much you have hated B5...over and
over and over again...
Yes I really hated it too... so much so that I bought the
whole series and force myself to watch it over and over
and over again on a regular basis.
I whole heartedly agree with you about Bester, he was delightfully evil.
The very talented Andreas Katsulas...Oh lord, how I loved him as G'kar.
Oh Lord... who am I kidding...I loved themall. The series was just loaded
with fantastic characters. From the first, I jumped in head first, and I am still swimming around in all that incredibly wonderful and excellent Sci-fi.

Oh Lord...its true....great minds really do think alike...

NOW!!! WE CAN ONCE AGAIN.... WE RETURN YOU TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED TOPIC

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10 2009, 12:41 AM   #50
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Jandolyn...I am so glad that you have enjoyed my Lessa...Thank you kindly for your lovely compliment.

P.S. Everyone has their own ideas of who and what the characters look like...and that is part of the beauty of how Anne writes so clearly that we can all form these fantastic pictures in our heads...and that we defend them so happily.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Mar 10 2009, 12:45 AM   #51
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:

GH

Oh yes...I would have loved Marcus to have stayed around long enough to have planted a kiss right on her. But his death was sooooo beautifully romantic...yes I cried buckets. I loved him and how he was so gallant in a real vengeful lets go crazy manner.
I am so glad to hear I have devoted fellow fans of B5....

Old Mar 10 2009, 12:49 AM   #52
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Anareth....
Quote:
Hee. For lines, I love Talia and every time I turn around, Garibaldi is there! [Lift opens. Garibaldi is there.]
Oh I agree with you too... those were great scenes...I loved Garibaldi as well...I wish that actor would pop back up in something...he was fantastic. I'm with you...they didn't miss a jot with the casting on B5.

Old Mar 10 2009, 10:52 AM   #53
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
I don't think there was a bad casting note in that series. Plot-wise, I think Ivanova's unexpected departure threw a monkey wrench into the telepath/Byron plot. (And that whole plot had issues. I really was rooting for Bester by the end, and when Byron starts singing before going all protesting-Buddhist-monk on himself I can't help but hear Tom Leherer's "We WIll All Go Together When We Go" instead of whatever he's actually singing.)
Well, part of the reason why there were problems with the telepath/Byron plot is that is was NOT part of the original 5-year arc. At the beginning of the 4th year, studio execs told JMS that this was going to be the last year of the contract, so he squeezed years 4 and 5 into year 4. And then, of course, they tell him near the end of year 4 that they are renewing the contract for year 5. He had put lots of hints about a coming telepath war, so he decided to add that on.

And, when there is a Pern movie, I hope that Jason Carter is one of the Dragonriders.

Maybe Mira Furlan could play someone like Manora.

And if LM wants to use these suggestions for portraits, I'd like to see the result.

GH
Old Mar 10 2009, 06:01 PM   #54
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Quote:
Anareth....

Oh I agree with you too... those were great scenes...I loved Garibaldi as well...I wish that actor would pop back up in something...he was fantastic. I'm with you...they didn't miss a jot with the casting on B5.
Jerry ran for Congress in California, and I catch him almost every night on my way home (late) from work on the Jerry Doyle Show on AM radio. It's a political show (and fair warning to the lefties around here, it's on par with, say, Sean Hannity) but once in a while he will mention B5--you can tell he liked working on the show. Also that he and everyone else were terribly saddened to lose Andreas Katsulas and Richard Biggs--I had the pleasure of meeting the latter gentleman at GenCon and he was very pleasant and friendly.

And what I had heard was that the "telepath underground" and Byron WERE part of the plan, but the problem was that it was supposed to be Ivanova (the latent telepath who had LOTS of reasons to hate the Psi Corps) who got sucked into it, but with Christian's leaving after they found out it was a go after all, they had to rethink it even further.
Old Mar 10 2009, 07:25 PM   #55
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Anareth...I loved Jerry Doyle, and I have always thought he would be great in so many things. Thank you for bringing me up to date with whats he's doing...maybe I need to go and find a Babylon site and get caught up with all the particulars.

Old Mar 10 2009, 07:33 PM   #56
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

GHarris, I hadn't thought about Mira as Manora...but that would certainly fit. I don't think her face would do that well for Lessa in a portrait, but for the movie I still think she would have done an admiral job. I love Jason Carter...and would be very happy to find a place for his interesting face on Pern...he seems to be able to play very slimmy bad guys [Rush...with Heth Ledger, who passed last year] as well as a delightful poetic good guy [BB5].Thank you for even more help...you are doing an incredible job of finding interesting faces for me...soon I'm going to have to put you on my staff...[ ummm wait a minute, I don't have a staff .....]

Old Mar 11 2009, 10:25 AM   #57
GHarris

Quote:
GHarris, I hadn't thought about Mira as Manora...but that would certainly fit. I don't think her face would do that well for Lessa in a portrait, but for the movie I still think she would have done an admiral job. I love Jason Carter...and would be very happy to find a place for his interesting face on Pern...he seems to be able to play very slimmy bad guys [Rush...with Heth Ledger, who passed last year] as well as a delightful poetic good guy [BB5].Thank you for even more help...you are doing an incredible job of finding interesting faces for me...soon I'm going to have to put you on my staff...[ ummm wait a minute, I don't have a staff .....]
I think you have several "interns" working for you, giving you ideas for different characters in Pern.

GH
Old Mar 11 2009, 11:54 AM   #58
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Jason Carter just needs to be in more things. Often. A lot.
Old Mar 11 2009, 09:22 PM   #59
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Psst...as per JMS, Macus isn't dead per se. He actually wrote a short for "Amazing Stories" to clear up how that all ended.

But. Anyhoo. Topic. Yeah, actually, Mira Furlan would have rocked Lessa.
I'd say Byron was the only poor casting choice. My wife and daughter couldn't stop making gagging noises whenever he was on after the first couple episodes he was in. I considered the character an idealistic idiot. Just never struck me as someone Bester would peg for a protege.

And no, telepaths shouldn't sing.

--

The gag with Garibaldi and Winters was that whenever she got in a lift, Garibaldi was there and it was hysterical when she was complaining about it and the lift opens to reveal...Garibaldi. The gag is even funnier if you know that around that time Doyle and Thompson were married for a couple of years...

--

Furlan rocks. Would have completely owned the part of Lessa.
Old Mar 11 2009, 09:52 PM   #60
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Jerry ran for Congress in California, and I catch him almost every night on my way home (late) from work on the Jerry Doyle Show on AM radio. It's a political show (and fair warning to the lefties around here, it's on par with, say, Sean Hannity) but once in a while he will mention B5--you can tell he liked working on the show. Also that he and everyone else were terribly saddened to lose Andreas Katsulas and Richard Biggs--I had the pleasure of meeting the latter gentleman at GenCon and he was very pleasant and friendly.

And what I had heard was that the "telepath underground" and Byron WERE part of the plan, but the problem was that it was supposed to be Ivanova (the latent telepath who had LOTS of reasons to hate the Psi Corps) who got sucked into it, but with Christian's leaving after they found out it was a go after all, they had to rethink it even further.
Might have to give Doyle a listen and see if he's cogent or just inflammatory.

--

It's no mystery that the cast was close and really misses both Biggs and Katsulas. Can't say I'm happy Katsulas is gone, and sadly Ansara is unlikely to be far behind at 86. Apparently Doyle did a memorial for Katsulas on his show and highlighted a lot of charity Katsulas did but for which he ducked all publicity.

--

I wouldn't be too hard on Christian. The studio really jerked things around for the fifth season and Christian had to commit to work before they finally got their act together. She wasn't able to break her contract.

I'm not sure the telepath plot would quite have worked with Ivanova. She was latent, but with nothing like Lyta Alexander's Vorlon-modified potential. The telepath plot needed a ticking bomb like Lyta. It was just Byron that caused me to roll my eyes continuously. It seemed like they were more interested in casting someone to fit the name and image of the Romantic poet (whom my wife the literature nut finds nauseating). I simply cannot imagine Ivanova, who found Marcus Cole hopelessly sappy and thought in the most unrefined fashion that she "should have boffed him" being anything but completely nauseated by Byron's saccharin mouth-droppings. He made a better match for lonely but yearning Lyta vice lonely but Russian Ivanova. Ultimately, Ivanova was self-contained and did not actually need anyone to complete her. I just don't see the match.

I was disappointed that JMS indicated an intention to kill the Lyta Alexander character off in the Telepath War. Hot red-heads who can cause entire homeworlds of evil enemy aliens to self-destruct strike me as fun dates.

There, Anareth, is your "I can kill you with my brain" personality!

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Mar 11 2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 12 2009, 12:04 PM   #61
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

GHarris...yes its appears I do..

Old Mar 12 2009, 12:09 PM   #62
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

E.D...I'm going to really consider Mira as Manora...she has a lot of similar features to those that are need to be F'lar and F'nor's mother.

Old Mar 12 2009, 01:23 PM   #63
GHarris

Quote:
E.D...I'm going to really consider Mira as Manora...she has a lot of similar features to those that are need to be F'lar and F'nor's mother.

IIRC, Manora was only F'nor's mother. (Look at the names.)

F'lar had the same father (F'lon), but a different mother.

But I still like the choice of Mira and Manora.

GH
Old Mar 12 2009, 01:55 PM   #64
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Well I did a quick sketch of F'lar and we all had some fun with it.

Well how can you have F'lar without Lessa...so I decided to have some more fun with her.

Sooooo....Lets see how you like my quick sketch of what *I* think Lessa looks like.

Let the comments begin...
WOAH. This isn't quite how I imagine Lessa to look, but you have her attitude NAILED.

I'm guessing you used Eva Green for a reference? The eyes, the eyes! Spectacular intensity.

There's VERY few candidates of whom I will say this, but I think Eva could actually pull of the part as Lessa. Why did nobody ever suggest her before? *shakes fist*
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12 2009, 08:30 PM   #65
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you Spiffy... for the lovely compliments, coming from
such an incredible artist like yourself, I am truly honored ...

I am over joyed to also hear that you agree with me about
Eva. Green..I still believe she would be a fantastic Lessa, in
the some day, up and comming movie.
All the intensity of acting, plus those incredible eyes, that can
actually make you feel like you'd rather be eaten by your
dragon, than have her look at you like that again and all for
only spilling a drop of klah on her gown.............

Old Mar 12 2009, 08:36 PM   #66
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
IIRC, Manora was only F'nor's mother. (Look at the names.)

F'lar had the same father (F'lon), but a different mother.

But I still like the choice of Mira and Manora.

GH

Whoooooops...I knew that [slinks back to her easel and writes a note to herself ,to stop forgettng to take her memory pills...]

Old Mar 12 2009, 11:47 PM   #67
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
You don't need my approval! Do as you will!

Now, who would you cast this person as, Pern-wise:

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:...a/simone_1.jpg

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...eSimons776.jpg

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:...1183760138.jpg

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:...19_3_-deh.jpeg

or this person:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...007/naslov.jpg
Old Mar 13 2009, 01:52 AM   #68
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

E.D. I would really love to tell you...but I can' hardly see the features of the woman in any of those picture you put up...is there some reason that their all so small?

No! I don't need yours or anyones approval, for any of my choices of Characters for Pern, but there are times when I really enjoy the exchange of information from other Pern fans...you never know what can come from it...either for agreement or not. The discussion is whats interesting and oft times enlightening.

Old Mar 14 2009, 10:22 PM   #69
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
E.D. I would really love to tell you...but I can' hardly see the features of the woman in any of those picture you put up...is there some reason that their all so small?

No! I don't need yours or anyones approval, for any of my choices of Characters for Pern, but there are times when I really enjoy the exchange of information from other Pern fans...you never know what can come from it...either for agreement or not. The discussion is whats interesting and oft times enlightening.
These should let you get a better look. Larger images than the blasted search site, but still not full size. Relatively difficult to get an unobstructed shot of this person's face, especially away from highly artificial lighting.

http://gallery.epica.nl/gallery/Live.../sd07_3312.jpg (Younger image; probably all of 20 years old.)

http://gallery.epica.nl/gallery/Live...Epica%2022.jpg (Another younger image.)

http://gallery.epica.nl/gallery/Live...pica%20(3).jpg (More recent image, but probably pre-illness.)

http://gallery.epica.nl/gallery/Live...r_REZ_8792.jpg (Crap! This one came out tiny, which is too bad because it's such a good action shot.)

http://gallery.epica.nl/gallery/Live...r_REZ_8930.jpg (Better lighting here.)

http://gallery.epica.nl/gallery/Live.../images/10.jpg (More recent image; back in battery after bout with MRSA; we should all look so good.)

http://gallery.epica.nl/gallery/FanArt//images/203.jpg (There is a great shot of her eyes when she is resting her chin on her hands that I simply cannot find larger than the small one posted last time. This, which a fan appears to have photo-shopped into another background and added a faux-tattoo is about as good as it's going to get.)

http://gallery.epica.nl/gallery/Fans//images/229.jpg (Good image, with a little fan, that shows natural coloration and eyes; rare image with hair queued.)

Well this at least gets the two of them together:

http://www.kamelot.com/images/galler...elmond_100.jpg

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Mar 14 2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: comments
Old Mar 15 2009, 02:49 AM   #70
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

I like her hair! People with really copper-colored hair like that always slightly dazzle me- it's like color-overload! Her eyes, too, are lovely.

Thanks for finding some larger photos.

As for who on Pern I'd cast this person as, I really don't know- knowing next-to-nothing about her personality. She might make a good Weyrwoman.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15 2009, 06:47 PM   #71
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
I like her hair! People with really copper-colored hair like that always slightly dazzle me- it's like color-overload! Her eyes, too, are lovely.

Thanks for finding some larger photos.

As for who on Pern I'd cast this person as, I really don't know- knowing next-to-nothing about her personality. She might make a good Weyrwoman.
She does have a veritable glory of hair, that's why I was irked that the action shot still reproduced small. All-around she's truly one of the genetically blessed and the only criticisms I've heard of her are all tear-downs from people that seem to resent too much beauty and/or talent in one package.

I don't know much about her personality, just her voice. From what I can discern she's shockingly mature and sober for someone of her age and profession, which she takes seriously--being credited as a songwriter and lyricist in addition to a vocalist in recent work. (That's why it's hard to get unobstructed shots of her face as she usually has a mike in front of it.) She also appears to have a contrasting propensity to be quite playful and "goofy" and a number of amusing photos of her making silly faces have made the rounds. Her fans appear to adore her (something others in the business have remarked upon publicly), but I really wouldn't expect much else from fan(atic)s. She does appear to be very generous toward her fans, letting many take pictures with her, so she is either friendly, or enough of a professional to cater to her audience, or both.

I have never met her, nor attended a live concert in which she performed, so everything I "know" is second-hand hearsay.
Old Mar 16 2009, 02:32 AM   #72
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

E.D. I don't know who I would draw her as...but she has a lovely face. That hair is incredibly beautiful. I did save the last two face shots and the profile...those I might just have to find a place for.
OK...who do you see Erica as?

Is she on YouTube....? I have never heard of her before.

Old Mar 16 2009, 10:56 AM   #73
GHarris

For some reason, they look like they have the attitude of Kylara and Meron.

GH
Old Mar 16 2009, 08:23 PM   #74
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
For some reason, they look like they have the attitude of Kylara and Meron.

GH
I think Roy Khan's a bit leaner than Meron, and Simone Simons is nowhere near voluptuous-enough or blonde-enough for Kylara.
Old Mar 16 2009, 09:47 PM   #75
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
E.D. I don't know who I would draw her as...but she has a lovely face. That hair is incredibly beautiful. I did save the last two face shots and the profile...those I might just have to find a place for.
OK...who do you see Erica as?

Is she on YouTube....? I have never heard of her before.
I think there may be some confusion hampering your YouTubing. Her name is Simone Simons and she is the vocalist for a band called Epica. And she's all over YouTube especially with the South Americans.

This is a duet with Ralph Scheepers of Primal Fear, "Every Time It Rains," that really showcases her voice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1PyWoS4i24 At 1:12 of the slide-show is that great shot of her eyes.

This is a duet with Roy Khan of Kamelot, "The Haunting": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuk0fBZbJkE They're fantastic together both vocally and in their stage chemistry. The Kamelot crowd is great. You can hear them roar when she comes on in the dark and there is one version of this, or maybe "Season's End" where you can hear them chanting her name at the end.

Epica, "Another Me," slideshow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeevDt3sVTw

Epica, "The Phantom Agony," Live in the studio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAlRf...eature=related The blonde in the choir subbed for Simone on the most recent US tour when MRSA took Simone down.

Epica, "Sensorium," Live in the studio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGgk5...eature=related Simone goes opera at 0:52

This, believe it or not, was right before MRSA took her off the stage (she's performing sick), Epica, "Chasing the Dragon" live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQPUf...eature=related This performance is a tremendously bad omen because she is costumed almost exactly like the vocalist of another band--Elis--appears in the video Der Letzte Tag--that vocalist died abruptly of a ruptured blood vessel in the brain. Time to retire throat scarves for metal singers. Here's the studio version, beautiful song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r3H-...eature=related And a taste of her voice acoustic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNxjY...eature=related

Same concert as last, Epica "Fools of Damnation" live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jgCC9Iq-rk Does for the word "fools" what Nell Sigland of The Crest and Theatre of Tragedy did for "doom." Here's the studio version (sound is never great on boot-legs): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csYBw...eature=related

You've probably never heard of Simone Simons and Epica because you probably don't listen to European symphonic metal is my guess. Here's a more commercial piece from them with commercial video, Epica, "Never Enough" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csYBw...eature=related

Softer fare, Epica "Feint" studio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_qMZZv-eFI

And they do classical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXN15...eature=related

And it may not be equal time, but here's some great vocals and theatrics from Roy Khan on Kamelot's "March of Mephisto" from one of their two albums they dedicated to doing Faust musically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfp2r...eature=related This starts with clips from the video and then goes live. That is not Simone on stage with them. I believe is it Mari Youngblood, the wife of the band's leader (guitarist Tom Youngblood) who is known for Broadway work, but I could be wrong. The ghost beat at the end is great.

I love these kind of bands because they are so much more vastly literate and talented than the pap that populates American Idol and the pop music charts in this country. For every self-taught rock guitarist with a fall-back aerospace engineering degree like J.Y. Young, or a truly multi-talented performer like Dave Grohl we have approximately 1,000 morons who can barely play their instruments, are literately zeroes and whose voices are entirely studio produced (Britney Spears) in the pop world.

In contrast most of the symphonic metal bands seem to be classically trained, exceedingly proficient with their instruments and profoundly interested in music, playing across many genres. They're also very literate.

I have no idea whom I would cast Simone Simons or Roy Khan as. They're both immensely visually striking. I initially shied away from identifying them as singers to avoid inevitably thinking of harper roles. I'm not sure the character I'd cast Simons as has been written, but I can see her as the junior gold rider that will be senior with time. Just too elegant to be otherwise I suppose.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Mar 16 2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: dropped word
Old Mar 17 2009, 12:52 AM   #76
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh Whoooooops...I thought for some reason her Name was Erica Berger...don't ask, I have no idea. I even saved a few of her photos as that. Lord no wonder I couldn't find her immage on my search for better photos...I will go and see what I find of her now.

Quote:
E.D.....I have no idea whom I would cast Simone Simons or Roy Khan as. They're both immensely visually striking. I initially shied away from identifying them as singers to avoid inevitably thinking of harper roles. I'm not sure the character I'd cast Simons as has been written, but I can see her as the junior gold rider that will be senior with time. Just too elegant to be otherwise I suppose.

E.D...I do have to agree with you about Simone...she is beautiful and very elegant. I will also agree, that I think Simone has a very beautiful voice...which I would definitely say was classically trained...something you just don't hear often, in the...erm... music these days.
I have to admit that I have never heard of them before...my era of metal bands were back in the *Metalica...Judas Priest* days...and that was quite a while ago... hints at age here.

I did very much enjoy the *Softer one and the classical one*, as those are much more suited my taste in music. I have a love for Ferderic Chopin, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Samuel Barber and Ralph Vaughan, etc...I often work in my studio while listening to a few of them. I even have been known to enjoy a bit of operaic adventures with Pavarotti and Juanjo Cura...leading the pack.

I want to thank you for sharing this...I think I will have to go and listen further...they have a very unique and interesting sound...and of course see if I can find a photo of her that hits a creative note...

Old Mar 17 2009, 02:02 AM   #77
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
I want to thank you for sharing this...I think I will have to go and listen further...they have a very unique and interesting sound...and of course see if I can find a photo of her that hits a creative note...
Well, she's photogenic enough I can't imagine that'll be hard!

My classical tastes run to:

Beethoven
Tchaikovsky
Stravinsky
Orff
Holst
Elfman
Zimmerman

Metal:

I may be older than you are, having cut my teeth on bands that were later declared to be metal including Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, etc... I can remember when Ozzy went solo from Black Sabbath... I never considered the "hair metal" bands to really be metal, which I'm sure will enrage legions of their fans (which worries me not at all since they're so drunk they're more of a danger to themselves than me). I'm even aware of an obscure little band called Q5 that's quite interesting. The exception is Queensryche, which progressed beyond their start as a hair band. Yes, they started as a hair band, and I watched them live on a local Seattle show that showed videos before there was an MTV.

Queensryche whetted my appetite for symphonic metal and I recommend the following bands (in no particular order) if you're going exploring:

Queensryche (Geoff Tate is a truly amazing vocalist and the band's lyrical content is hard to rival except by the likes of some of the bands below; recommend "The Lady Wore Black," "Empire," "Silent Lucidity" and the entire "Operation Mindcrime" album is a singular piece of work) [Yes, I remember when the incident in "Empire"--/ten dead in China town/--took place and can recall the news coverage.]

Q5 (obscure, not symphonic, but possessed of a kick-ass singer; excellent on their freshman and sophomore efforts; a whatever happened to band still playing--not as well--under another name; recommend "Steel The Light," "Pull The Trigger" and "When the Mirror Cracks."

Kamelot (Florida band with a Norwegian vocalist and a German keyboardist; more popular in Europe than America, sadly; Roy Khan is an incredible vocalist with excellent stage presence; recommend "The Haunting," "Season's End," "Blucher," "March of Mephisto" and others)

Epica (fronted by Simone Simons; a personal favorite because I like mezzo-sopranos--including Enya and my wife--exceptional lyrical writing; signature use of choirs and classical orchestration; recommend "Chasing the Dragon," "Fools of Damnation," "Sancta Terra," "Mother of Light," "Another Me," "Sensorium," "Dance of Fate," and others; freshman effort was good; sophomore and junior efforts excellent; senior effort is in the studio now)

Within Temptation (fronted by Sharon den Adel who is, unbelievably, untrained but possessed of an amazing variety of vocal tricks; junior and senior efforts "The Silent Force" and "The Heart of Everything" are outstanding)

Leaves' Eyes (fronted by Liv Kristine, formerly of Theatre of Tragedy, and okay in their debut, but the sophomore effort "Vinland Saga" made Viking Metal cool again and is truly not to be missed, particularly "Elegy")

The Crest (the band out of Stavanger, Norway, not the awful rap outfit; fronted by the unique Nell Sigland, probably the only metal band's vocalist to have her voice described as "soothing")

Midnattsol (fronted by Liv Kristine's little sister, the first album "Where Twilight Dwells" is superior to the second; we'll see where this "nordic folk metal" outfit goes with their junior effort)

Nightwish (old stuff is very operatic; recent work owes much to Hans Zimmer; notably enhanced by the addition of bassist Marco Hietala of Tarot on male vocals; fired prima-donna female vocalist and replaced her with a lesser female vocalist who carries the very important qualifications of wanting the job and knowing not to abuse the bands fans in favor of her solo career; recommend "Bless The Child," "Nemo," "Wish I Had An Angel," "Dark Chest of Wonders," "Whoever Brings The Night," and "The Islander" which shouldn't be missed; many other good tracks)

Lacuna Coil (truly shared duties between talented male and female leads; recommend two most recent albums)

Elis ("Der Letzte Tag" is excellent but the singer is dead)

Edenbridge (interesting Austrian outfit; "Wild Chase" is excellent)

Evanescence (the unfortunate recipients of so much hype they're now inappropriately the yardstick for comparison for any band of this type and unfairly hated for it by many, but still excellent on both their freshman and sophomore offerings)

Theatre of Tragedy (formerly fronted by Liv Kristine; now fronted by Nell Sigland concurrent with her duties with The Crest; the band is struggling due to a number of setbacks but has a seriously eclectic array of material including several early albums sung in Middle English)

After Forever (Mark Jansen of Epica's old outfit; has a killer cover of Iron Maiden's "The Evil That Men Do;" vocalist Floor Jansen teaches at what is literally the Netherlands "School of Rock")

I suspect your taste will in the end run more toward Within Temptation and The Crest.

My Classic Rock taste includes all the good stadium bands (Rush, The Who, Aerosmith, etc...).

My Progressive Rock taste runs to the Alan Parsons Project, and Alan Parsons' efforts after Eric Wolfson ran off to do musical theatre in Germany.

My taste for female rockers rests on the solid foundation of Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart. Home-town heroines for those of us from Seattle and still rocking to this day. Nancy bounces around on stage like a woman a third of her age, and Ann still belts them out with amazing power. She can also sing Plant's, and other male singers hits both better than they do and with amazing fidelity to their sound.

Andrea Corr, Susana Hoffs, the Peterson sisters, Jana Gross, Terri Nunn, Debbie Harry, Laura Darby, Maire Brennan, Enya, Dido, Delores O'Riordan, Annie Lennox, Stevie Nicks, Cyndi Lauper, Vanessa Carlton, Imogen Heap, Grace Slick, Jade Redd, Joan Jett, KT Tunstall, Loreena McKennitt, Natalie Merchant, Pat Benatar, Plumb, Rindy Ross, Marti Dodd, Hayley Williams, Alana Grace, Josephine Conigliaro and The Donnas have all made the cut for my collection.

Yes, I have massive music collection. There are over 4300 songs and that doesn't include the classical...

Anyhow, enjoy your exploration and hopefully you'll find something you like.
Old Mar 17 2009, 02:08 AM   #78
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
E.D...I do have to agree with you about Simone...she is beautiful and very elegant. I will also agree, that I think Simone has a very beautiful voice...which I would definitely say was classically trained...something you just don't hear often, in the...erm... music these days.
I actually have this wonderful image in my head of Liv Kristine (soprano) of Leaves' Eyes, Simone Simons (mezzo-soprano) of Epica and Cristina Scabbia (contralto) of Lacuna Coil, stepping onto a stage occupied by Madonna, Britney Spears and most of the contestants of American Idol, and literally blowing the lot of them off the stage with their voices.
Old Mar 18 2009, 06:44 PM   #79
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Electric Dragon....I may be older than you are, having cut my teeth on bands that were later declared to be metal including Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, etc... I can remember when Ozzy went solo from Black Sabbath... I never considered the "hair metal" bands to really be metal, which I'm sure will enrage legions of their fans (which worries me not at all since they're so drunk they're more of a danger to themselves than me). I'm even aware of an obscure little band called Q5 that's quite interesting. The exception is Queensryche, which progressed beyond their start as a hair band. Yes, they started as a hair band, and I watched them live on a local Seattle show that showed videos before there was an MTV.
You may have cut your musical teeth on Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and the original Ozzy...but my muscial teeth were cut on The Beatles live in person at Shea Stadium in San Diego, in I believe 1965. I stood at a dance stage as a teenager looking up the nose of Mama Cass before the Mama and Papa's were famous. I almost got hit by a car carrying the Rolling Stones, when I was leaving their concert in discust...I hated watching their drunken spree on stage. I have seen so many of the original rock and roll bands in person I can hardly remember then all.
My second generation of music started again when my daughter became a teenager...and I fell in love with some of the newer to me at the time, 80's rock bands...some of those you mentioned in your post like *Heart*, as well as my personal favorite hair band *Def Leppard* who I use to do art for their American fan club. We have seen them several times, as well as got to meet them and a few other bands from that time... along the way. Now I'm happy to listen to my old faves as well as all my lovely classical library.
I am glad you are enjoying all your music...its good to have fun and enjoyable interests.

HELLO Cheryl and Hans....I do think that perhaps we should continue this chat, in a new *Musical Interest* thread in the *Caf'e*...especially if a friendly *Staffer* would split and move this...where more MoMer's might enjoy it too...

Then this thread can get back to it's original subject....Lessa

Old Mar 18 2009, 10:10 PM   #80
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Quote:
You may have cut your musical teeth on Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and the original Ozzy...but my muscial teeth were cut on The Beatles live in person at Shea Stadium in San Diego, in I believe 1965. I stood at a dance stage as a teenager looking up the nose of Mama Cass before the Mama and Papa's were famous. I almost got hit by a car carrying the Rolling Stones, when I was leaving their concert in discust...I hated watching their drunken spree on stage. I have seen so many of the original rock and roll bands in person I can hardly remember then all.
My second generation of music started again when my daughter became a teenager...and I fell in love with some of the newer to me at the time, 80's rock bands...some of those you mentioned in your post like *Heart*, as well as my personal favorite hair band *Def Leppard* who I use to do art for their American fan club. We have seen them several times, as well as got to meet them and a few other bands from that time... along the way. Now I'm happy to listen to my old faves as well as all my lovely classical library.
I am glad you are enjoying all your music...its good to have fun and enjoyable interests.

HELLO Cheryl and Hans....I do think that perhaps we should continue this chat, in a new *Musical Interest* thread in the *Caf'e*...especially if a friendly *Staffer* would split and move this...where more MoMer's might enjoy it too...

Then this thread can get back to it's original subject....Lessa
Ah, so Metallic was a later interest. You've got me by a few then.